Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Not sure why folks are going bananas over the camera hump? I'd say 90% of the iPhone users rock a case which negates the look. I'm more interested in the image quality and camera features versus obsessing over cosmetics. Just saying.
Well it's really goofy looking. And most of us can see they could make design choices that would let the iPhone have the good features AND the good looks. But for whatever reasons, on this iteration, the RUMOR/LEAK indicates they possibly won't.

The iPhone was once always stylish looking among its peers in any given generation. Yeah we can look back now and see maybe how some of the earlier ones looked a bit clunky. But they were stylish in their day.

Now Samsungs are rocking an exciting new look that overtakes the IPhone in aesthetics somewhat and we Apple fans just want to vent some frustration about that. Because a lot of us do not use cases. I do, but a lot of people don't or use minimalist clear cases. Actually I do use minimalist cases on my SE, because it's attractive and I want to see it. My 6S Plus is not bad. But this leaked sample is really really goofy looking. I really did laugh when I saw it. And I can't look at the bigger one without seeing Bender from Futurama. I can't imagine Apple under Steve Jobs releasing something so comical looking. Though he did release all those Macs that looked like jellybeans so...maybe "whimsical" isn't completely off the table. I don't know...

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Now Samsungs are rocking an exciting new look that overtakes the IPhone in aesthetics somewhat and we Apple fans just want to vent some frustration about that.
No Samsung phone looks even remotely stylish compared to the iPhones today.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Well it's really goofy looking. And most of us can see they could make design choices that would let the iPhone have the good features AND the good looks. But for whatever reasons, on this iteration, the RUMOR/LEAK indicates they possibly won't.

The iPhone was once always stylish looking among its peers in any given generation. Yeah we can look back now and see maybe how some of the earlier ones looked a bit clunky. But they were stylish in their day.

Now Samsungs are rocking an exciting new look that overtakes the IPhone in aesthetics somewhat and we Apple fans just want to vent some frustration about that. Because a lot of us do not use cases. I do, but a lot of people don't or use minimalist clear cases. Actually I do use minimalist cases on my SE, because it's attractive and I want to see it. My 6S Plus is not bad. But this leaked sample is really really goofy looking. I really did laugh when I saw it. And I can't look at the bigger one without seeing Bender from Futurama. I can't imagine Apple under Steve Jobs releasing something so comical looking. Though he did release all those Macs that looked like jellybeans so...maybe "whimsical" isn't completely off the table. I don't know...

I wouldn't say Samsung has a better looking phone. They copied the iPhone look with its own little twist to not be so blatant. Even software wise you can see just on the lock screen alone they try and copy the iOS look. They want sales reps in the various stores to say "iPhone-like" during their pitches. I digress though.

I personally think the iPhone 6 and 6s are very stylish (camera hump and bands included). I am starting to see a lot of iPhones in the wild now so I doubt the camera bump cosmetic is affecting sales. The iPhone 7 will be no different.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChemistCody

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Oh Goodness no, those look like tv remotes. Are you really THAT ticked off?
Yes, unfortunately. Apple reached peak design at iPhone 4 from my view point. It is the most pure and clean, with 5s a close runner up. No more upgrades for me. I'm out. Last chance round for Apple will be the 2017 phone (presuming this year will be more churn). I really hope Apple does it.
The nextbit is probably one of the more original and interesting designs of the past year. Aside from that is a paper concept from 2008.

nextbit-robin.jpg

Pbrutto

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2015
Eastern PA
Apple has made the iphones so thin that there will always be a camera bump. The more advanced and sophisticated the cameras become...it's unavoidable. Being a travel blogger who uses my iPhone as my travel camera, I can totally live with that. Others seem so obsessed about the camera bump it borders on psychosis.
I think if you don't use a case you have a legit complaint, but I always do so its not an issue for me. I have to agree about the bump, I don't know much about camera optics but I cannot imagine fitting a decent camera in such a tight space.

saba01

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2011
Is it just me or is the SE camera much worse in low light than the old 5S camera? Perhaps the smaller pixel size? My night pictures, esp indoors, remind me of the first time I strapped a Logitech to the top of my old Windows tube monitor...in 2001.

That said, while outside shots are decent I'm convinced the phone will never replace the dedicated camera for anything worth printing or saving so these marginal upgrades are none other than hype.
It is just you. The SE is much better!

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I agree that the better camera is worth the bump, but I think the point people are making is they could fill out the phone's thickness to match the camera and add a lot more battery. That's really the best option of all.

Millions upon millions of people use cases (I'm not one of them though) which negates the "camera" bump.

And quite honestly, it's far better to have a thinner, lighter phone and be able to add more battery via a case or pack vs a thinker, heavier phone with no way to make it lighter.

Lighter and thinner benefits everyone because you have the options to both light and thin or heavy and more battery.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Apple has made the iphones so thin that there will always be a camera bump. The more advanced and sophisticated the cameras become...it's unavoidable. Being a travel blogger who uses my iPhone as my travel camera, I can totally live with that. Others seem so obsessed about the camera bump it borders on psychosis.

I don't know that the bump will always be unavoidable, but it's clearly a limitation of current technology.

I agree about the unhealthy obsession with the camera bump. It seems there's quite a few people on MR who seem to know better than Apple's designers and engineers because clearly the logical answer is to just make it thicker. It's so obvious, why didn't Apple think of it first?!

I wish these MR posters would work for Apple already so that we can finally have an iPhone with no camera bump, 10 day battery life, no bezels, and also double as a dumbbell which would be in line with Apple's health initiatives.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I don't know that the bump will always be unavoidable, but it's clearly a limitation of current technology.

I agree about the unhealthy obsession with the camera bump. It seems there's quite a few people on MR who seem to know better than Apple's designers and engineers because clearly the logical answer is to just make it thicker. It's so obvious, why didn't Apple think of it first?!

I wish these MR posters would work for Apple already so that we can finally have an iPhone with no camera bump, 10 day battery life, no bezels, and also double as a dumbbell which would be in line with Apple's health initiatives.

You forgot the 100 million new options and toggles iOS would have if it were up to MR posters. :) and ZERO bugs, performance so fast iOS would be always 12 steps ahead of the user.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Normally I hate to be fussy about the looks because I use cases...now--I didn't always for my 5s and iPhone 4. But that backside on this rumored IPhone 7 makes it look goggle eyed. Like this: ;)
I lol'ed when I saw it. It's comical looking, as is the "Bender" iPhone 7Plus.

I'm not sure why people are scared of a little weight if we can get the thickness up to where the lens protrudes less and we can fit a slightly bigger battery in as a bonus. I wouldn't mind a bit thicker and shave some off the top, bottom and sides like the Samsung 7Edge did. I held that and compared it to my 6Splus and the Samsung was more pleasant to hold for being less wide, though slippery as hell with all that glass. And yeah it has a really ugly camera bulge sticking out in an awkward place in the center toward the top. So I don't hold it out as the ideal design in all ways. But the dimensions make it feel less like a sushi plate than my Plus. So I do appreciate it feels better to hold.

The 6SPlus is too slab like to hold comfortably for its dimensions. I need the Apple silicone case so I can keep a grip on it.

I've been reading a lot of your posts and know you've got a strong appreciation for design. What model among the competition do you feel gets it right or closer to right than Apple currently does? I'm talking just in terms of aesthetics. I've seen a few Chinese knockoffs that looked good at first glance. I didn't bother trying to remember who made them, though.

"Exciting" , yet not practical, yep that's Samsung all right... Oh, and slower even if release 6 months later!
Considering the dubious esthetics of many things released under Jobs, its completely and utterly possible.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA

xaqt93

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
If this is real, I can see why people would upgrade, however, my Camera on my iPhone 6S is pretty freaking awesome. I don't plan to upgrade as of now. I don't think I will upgrade when it comes out but that is just me. We will see when it comes time for the keynote in the fall.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I agree that the better camera is worth the bump, but I think the point people are making is they could fill out the phone's thickness to match the camera and add a lot more battery. That's really the best option of all.

That's not the best option if you use a case. In that situation, the camera bump is negated by the hole in the case, allowing the phone plus case to be as thin as possible.
[doublepost=1466887903][/doublepost]
That's a big call buddy. What would it be.... The New iPhone, iPhone Pro, iPhone, iPhone Air... lolz.

My money is they'll stick with iPhone 7. Too many models in the phone range floating around and these look just like the 6.... but hey, they could surprise us.

My money is on iPhone 6se.

Reactions: citysnaps
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.