Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Really going to miss MagSafe but can't say I'm surprised.

I think this is a good indication we'll see this next week and not in the fall. Mac parts usually only get leaked right before announcements because of their smaller yields.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
Looks neat! If I didn't already have the 2015 rMBP I'd be all over this... Sad to see the lack of MagSafe as well as the SD Card slot though.

Edd.Dantes

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
Surprise, surprise...

Leaks come real fast after the ship starts sinking. Reading through the Kaby Lake thread today... It's like Tim threw everyone a bone just to stop the bleeding.

It's amazing how many had this "Steve would never have allowed this" mantra, that was/is often censored but... It's like it just keeps coming true. Each year, more and more Apple, Ive/Cook defenders are starting to see the light.

Sad days.

For the first time in my life, I'm not balking on getting the next Galaxy Note. No money for you, this year, Apple. I refuse to dump expensive headphones for a phone. I'm not using an adapter.

Also, I quit buying Mac computers years ago. OSX86 means I can have fast machines... If I even choose to use OS X anymore.

Older fans should be hanging their heads :(

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Well, a few good points so far, in all honestly. If there's no MagSafe, it's form over function. I desperately hope that won't be the case.

MagSafe is coming to an end unfortunately. The problem is USB-C is destined to be the charger of the future. And since it carries data, it can't be easily disconnect-able. Otherwise there would be major file corruption issues. I believe there are several third party USB-C cables or dongles that allow for a magnetic connection. Not sure if they just charge or also carry data.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Does it have a larger trackpad? It seems so, right?

By the way: thin speakers on the sides of the keyboard. I like it, so far.
Hope the battery will keep the same amount of mAh than current MBPs.

EDIT: Space Gray?

I'm liking it as well. It's good to see they are adding the speakers either side of the keyboard on the 13-inch model now. I'm tempted to buy a 15-inch MacBook Pro anyway when it comes out (which already has the speakers on the side of the keyboard).

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Can't wait, my wallet is ready. I was tempted by new MacBook but i need Thunderbolt 3 and more powerful GPU&CPU. I've already ordered on Amazon a cheap USB-C with HDMI, SD, 3 USB3!

I'm as ready as you are to buy this thing! Just slightly worried that supply chain suggests an autumn release. :(

Interested to see how Apple will pull off an OLED strip across the keyboard, I think other atempts something similar (Blade) have looked out of place but in theory are a great idea. If anyone can make it work, it's Apple.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

Lopes

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
With my setup, 1 port will be used up for power, a second to connect to hdmi dongle for a monitor. minimal net zero for most of my usage. Plus the need to buy more dongles to plug anything I own into it?

I don't know about this one. For the first time ever, I'm not planning on upgrading to iPhone 7, and I may see if my 2012 rMBP can last longer now...

lucasrant

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2008
supposedly it's coming out on the fourth quarter, which is the third of the year, so july-september... that's not too long from now in my opinion... maybe there's a chance it'll be announced at wwdc and shipped a bit later? or shipped right after wwdc and but with little stock?
i don't know, im just spitballing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.