Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
64GB White (AT&T) - F38Y

That serial looks like it's an AT&T model.

Rogers Fido Telus Bell all use the same model as AT&T

As for user F38Y - Sadly your iPhone is not AWS, take it back to the store and ask for one that ends with FHXX (w.e capacity matches with the serial # posted in the OP and its a WIN WIN situation:)

jlakds2999

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I just wanted to say, wow, what a great thread this was for me. I never would have attempted an exchange if it wasn't for this. Couldn't be happier! :)

artifact4art

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2013
Cape Fear
I did it - with short shipping turnaround.

Thanks to you folks for starting this thread. I ordered the Apple unlocked iPhone 5 within minutes of it being available thru Apple Online. The nearest retail is 2-3 hrs drive and I have no car. Having drowned 2 T-Mobile Nokia flip phones in the past few summers, I opted for AppleCare+ when I ordered the white 32GB model. Of course assuming it would operate on T-Mo 3G-4G AWS etc (dang if you don't need an MS in Radio Engineering just to be a savvy consumer with all this stuff. C'Mon now...all this carrier 'competition' is anti-consumer, in my view).

Anyway, after reading that you could get the 'new' unlocked iP5 with T-Mo support beyond EDGE and VVM, MMS etc. I called Apple Support last Wednesday night. They took notes, and transferred me to a T-Mo support. We wiped and restored carrier settings (Apple support also tried a full 'factory reset). My complaint was that I wasn't getting T-Mo 3G signal, in case you wanted to know...nothing else specific more than that. T-Mo rep says to take the nano-SIM and place it into another device to test the network vs. device being the issue. If it worked, then T-Mo would tell Apple it was a 'defective' unit and have it replaced. Luckily, T-Mo has a retail presence nearby and I dutifully too the unit there. Problem being, all they had for 'test' devices were iP5 display units, which can't be SIM-switched. However, the Rep took pity on me and updated notes on my account that the appropriate chicken entrails were waved. That was last Thursday.

Another call to Apple and they emailed me a Repair # and said to take that to UPS and it would be overnighted to Apple and a replacement sent out. Cool. So, about 3:30 eastern Friday an Apple email shows up that an they repair team found unreported issue with the iP5. 'Water damage'. I call and since I had considered drowning the thing anyway and taking the hit on one replacement unit and the $50 fee, I agreed that maybe there had been water damage. But I wanted assurance via the tech and his supervisor that the replacement wouldn't just be another of the original batch of GSM w/o T-Mo AWS support. It was confirmed by both before I let the charge go thru. A replacement was FedEx Priority Overnight sent out Friday, but the Sat/Sun kept it from arriving till 9am Monday. :apple: :)

So far, cruising nicely. Happy. Has the 4G and the 'FHxx' Serial Number. :D

Anyway, I just registered even though long-time lurker. I don't know when this area will get LTE service, but we were in the first 100 for HSPA+. I think it'll be a while before LTE arrives, but this sure is a big improvement over the last 6 months of EDGE.

Back in Jan 2007, when I saw Jobs demo this thing, I KNEW it was the new 'killer app' for smartphone tech. However, it was only with the release of iP5 unlocked that my capital agreed with me. So, having been stuck in the slow lane for 6 months of what I hope to be a useful device for 3-5 years is now improved over waiting for LTE to arrive. For a modest fee (which on principle I disagree with having to fork over, but for the sake of expediency, did. It wasn't Milt Pappas for Frank Robinson after all. :eek: )

Thanks to folks posting here. :cool:

heyitsfez

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Success!!

I managed to get my Black 32GB unlocked iPhone replaced today, got the model that ends in FH1D. I took it in because of sleep/wake button problems. The genius I got was really nice and it all was quick at about taking 10 minutes. If anyone who's in the South Austin area and wants to experience the new model and the improved 4G speeds then I would reccommend swapping it out for another device. I think that at this point in time it is highly likely that you'll get a model that supports the extra AWS bands.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
So on Monday I go to my local Apple store to exchange my 7 month old unlocked iP5 due to wifi issues. My phone gets exchanged but not to an AWS one. The next day I go back to the Apple store and plead my case. The genius is very helpful and in approx 10 minutes I leave the store this time with a FH1H AWS phone. I get home and notice a miniscule, microscopic dent just below the power button. Honestly? It wasn't that bad you really had to look to notice it. But the next day I go back, (for the third time!), to the Apple store to yet again plead my case. Am I crazy? Yes. The genius is very nice and once again extremely helpful. I leave with a pristine white iP5 with AWS bands.

Apple's customer service is second to none. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Thanks Apple!

Attachments

• Photo.jpg
    Photo.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 138

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
So on Monday I go to my local Apple store to exchange my 7 month old unlocked iP5 due to wifi issues. My phone gets exchanged but not to an AWS one. The next day I go back to the Apple store and plead my case. The genius is very helpful and in approx 10 minutes I leave the store this time with a FH1H AWS phone. I get home and notice a miniscule, microscopic dent just below the power button. Honestly? It wasn't that bad you really had to look to notice it. But the next day I go back, (for the third time!), to the Apple store to yet again plead my case. Am I crazy? Yes. The genius is very nice and once again extremely helpful. I leave with a pristine white iP5 with AWS bands.

Apple's customer service is second to none. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

Thanks Apple!
ANS you got 6.1.2 firmware.?Geez!!!

wonder if I should try again for 6.1.2 firmware. Lol

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
Just recently swapped out my locked (day 1 purchase) AT&T 64gb black, and i got one of the serial numbers listed in the top of this thread. iOS6.1.3.

(swapped it for horrible battery and wifi performance, but this is a nice potential bonus to get AWS functionality)

i'm assuming that once i unlock it via finishing the contract or ETF, i will hopefully have the option of the AWS bands for Tmobile?

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Just recently swapped out my locked (day 1 purchase) AT&T 64gb black, and i got one of the serial numbers listed in the top of this thread. iOS6.1.3.

(swapped it for horrible battery and wifi performance, but this is a nice potential bonus to get AWS functionality)

i'm assuming that once i unlock it via finishing the contract or ETF, i will hopefully have the option of the AWS bands for Tmobile?

I noticed that with my replacement iPhone (that I got recently), the battery is like day and night compared to the original phone I had. Now my phone is lasting twice as long without having to recharge it.

Seabassthegreat

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Orlando FL

Mine was a locked AT&T 64GB white model and they handed me a 64GB AWS model that was unlocked... Popped a T-Mobile SIM card and it worked right away... Along with my AT&T one of course

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Mine was a locked AT&T 64GB white model and they handed me a 64GB AWS model that was unlocked... Popped a T-Mobile SIM card and it worked right away... Along with my AT&T one of course

I thought all of the replacement models were unlocked. ???

----------

Have you tried an AT&T SIM to see if the replacement is unlocked?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

----------

its entirely possible that they still have some old stock sitting around...not all stores across the entire nation will have every single phone as the new AWS compatible iPhone 5...

----------

I've changed the Thread Title slightly to help those in Canada as well :)

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009

----------

without having a Tmobile SIM handy, is it still possible to confirm a phone is unlocked by doing a restore? when i restored the phone from backup, i didn't see any "greeting" telling me that my phone was unlocked. guess i need to find someone to find out (more for curiosity at this stage...)

----------

I noticed that with my replacement iPhone (that I got recently), the battery is like day and night compared to the original phone I had. Now my phone is lasting twice as long without having to recharge it.

thanks for sharing. so far, it has been night and day and i haven't even cycled the battery yet. i charged it fully up after restoring everything friday evening. so far, after two overnighters and over 2:42 usage (1 day, 17 hrs standby) i'm still at 63%. that is so much better than my old phone! i'll be able to better evaluate in the coming week, but so far, it looks very good.

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
without having a Tmobile SIM handy, is it still possible to confirm a phone is unlocked by doing a restore? when i restored the phone from backup, i didn't see any "greeting" telling me that my phone was unlocked. guess i need to find someone to find out (more for curiosity at this stage...)

----------

thanks for sharing. so far, it has been night and day and i haven't even cycled the battery yet. i charged it fully up after restoring everything friday evening. so far, after two overnighters and over 2:42 usage (1 day, 17 hrs standby) i'm still at 63%. that is so much better than my old phone! i'll be able to better evaluate in the coming week, but so far, it looks very good.

I have to say I have the same experience. My new ip5 has way better battery life than my old one!

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

----------

send me your imei, will do you favor:)

Risingkazuya05

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
FH1G (AT&T black 64GB swap and factory unlocked). Happy, except for the fact it's on 6.1.3- so i lost my jailbreak. Oh well

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Can anyone confirm if regular AT&T iPhone5s are being swapped out for AWS equipped models too?

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
Can anyone confirm if regular AT&T iPhone5s are being swapped out for AWS equipped models too?

Read the chart posted on this thread that lists the models serial numbers. Look for the last four digits in your serial number and it will tell you if yours supports AWS.

Last edited:

ross1998

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2013

Not trying to be mean or make fun of you but is it so hard to read the thread, if you read at least the 1st post and the last 2 pages of this thread you would know that there is a pretty high change it will get swapped for a aws version. Next time don't be lazy and please read

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I got my iPhone replaced today with an AWS model ending in FH19. :cool: Thanks to Coleman2010 for letting me know which store was most helpful.

roflc0pter

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2010
Got my AT&T iPhone 5 (Unlocked) replaced today. Had WiFi issues (kept dropping connection randomly) and the only way to fix was to power cycle the phone. I told the genius that I did a 6.1.4 restore as well as resetting the network settings. He offered me a replacement right away with no questions asked ;)

New replacement = NE486LL/A (FH19)

As far as data speeds go, haven't noticed much difference since I'm in a slightly refarmed area. Currently on the $30 Prepaid plan with 100 minutes. Funny thing is I was only getting Edge at the location of my Apple Store, after it was replaced, the 4G icon showed up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.