Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
I say ya it is, but the odds of them replacing are now lower than ever and are only getting lower as time passes....I want to swap out my iPhone 5 but still clinging onto my jailbreak...its just too damn amazing to give it up but I know i should go ahead and get it replaced. Gotten our other iPhones replaced about a month back tho just mine left.

I think you should just give up the jailbreak and get the AWS.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
How long ago did you buy your iPhone 5? If you can, purchase AppleCare+. You can buy a new iPhone replacement for $50 for any reason with AppleCare+.

I didn't realize that with the Apple Care + plan you can get your iPhone replaced (for $50.00) for any reason. That's great information to know as I recently (four weeks ago) purchased this plan.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I didn't realize that with the Apple Care + plan you can get your iPhone replaced (for $50.00) for any reason. That's great information to know as I recently (four weeks ago) purchased this plan.
Here are the details:

"AppleCare+ for iPhone extends repair coverage and technical support to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage due to handling, each subject to a $49 service fee plus applicable tax."

So you can buy a replacement iPhone for $49 for any reason twice.

I would walk in and tell them you want the AWS version due to signaling issues to see if they will give you a warranty replacement for free. If they do not, then tell them you want to use your AppleCare+ and buy a $49 replacement.

Risingkazuya05

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
How long ago did you buy your iPhone 5? If you can, purchase AppleCare+. You can buy a new iPhone replacement for $50 for any reason with AppleCare+.

----------

I went ahead and replaced mine a month ago to get AWS support. I did lose my jailbreak. But there should be a new jailbreak with iOS 7.

I just got another one of mine replaced yesterday. Bought one for my sister and came guns ablaze using issues like wifi, overheating and camera focus/haze issues. the first two failed but after comparing the camera to the others, it finally worked (smudged the lens!!!)

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously, all you jailbreakers- get it replaced NOW and don't wait. iOS7 will get JB'd sooner or later. You gotta weigh out your options- faster/reliable data speeds or jailbreak?! :)

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
Good News, i went to another apple store today, the genuis exchanged it without a question. So glad i went again!

Bamff

macrumors regular
May 6, 2013
Great! Trust me when I say that it's worth the loss in the JB, in my opinion. The fast data speeds and having an AWS enabled IP5 on TMO is worth it. Enjoy!

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Good News, i went to another apple store today, the genuis exchanged it without a question. So glad i went again!

Hey, congrats on it finally working out man!

Just wanted to see if you could help me answer a couple questions based on your experiences at the Apple Store.

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 which doesn't support the AWS band (it was a launch day iPhone). I paid someone on eBay to unlock it, and it accepts a t-mobile sim.

I have a camera problem that I think will get it switched out, so long as they're not doing camera repairs on site!
So based on your experience,
1) Did they let you keep your old SIM card, and just swap it from the old to the new? Or did they give you a new one?

2) When I registered my sim on tmobile they asked for the IMEI number on my phone. Will getting a replacement phone screw this up and make me need to re-register the sim?

I wonder if I should also specifically ask for an AWS phone or just assume I'll get one and hope for the best..

Thanks for your time and help.

forcetactic

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
Hey, congrats on it finally working out man!

Just wanted to see if you could help me answer a couple questions based on your experiences at the Apple Store.

I have an AT&T iPhone 5 which doesn't support the AWS band (it was a launch day iPhone). I paid someone on eBay to unlock it, and it accepts a t-mobile sim.

I have a camera problem that I think will get it switched out, so long as they're not doing camera repairs on site!
So based on your experience,
1) Did they let you keep your old SIM card, and just swap it from the old to the new? Or did they give you a new one?

2) When I registered my sim on tmobile they asked for the IMEI number on my phone. Will getting a replacement phone screw this up and make me need to re-register the sim?

I wonder if I should also specifically ask for an AWS phone or just assume I'll get one and hope for the best..

Thanks for your time and help.

They just take your sim card from your old phone and put it in the new replacement phone. As long as your previous one was unlocked, the new one should be unlocked as well.

AFAIK, all their replacements are AWS so you shouldn't need to worry. If you ask, it might make them think you're making an excuse to try to get a replacement

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
I think the issue here is that you have an AT&T iPhone that was unlocked via 3rd Party, having them replace it will get you another AT&T iPhone, and you will likely lose your unlock.

When they replaced mine, they took the sim card out of the old one and just put it in the new one. As far as registering the IMEI, I think you are talking about registering the SIM ID (I cant remember what its called) which is used if you are switching sim cards. I don't think anything will happen if you were to swap sim cards from phones, other than the fact that the replacement you are getting may very well still be locked, even though you maybe getting an AWS model. If anything, you may want to tell them that it was unlocked by AT&T :p

For anyone still on the fence or haven't done this yet, and still want the AWS model and still have a pristine non-AWS (unlocked) iPhone, but aren't sure what to say, show the genius the support article, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720. Let them know that you are experiencing poor data services in x location, and that the article explains why. You'll do a service by educating the geniuses since it seems none of them really know about it, and they cant really say its "fake" or anything like that since its on their official support manual.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I think the issue here is that you have an AT&T iPhone that was unlocked via 3rd Party, having them replace it will get you another AT&T iPhone, and you will likely lose your unlock.

When they replaced mine, they took the sim card out of the old one and just put it in the new one. As far as registering the IMEI, I think you are talking about registering the SIM ID (I cant remember what its called) which is used if you are switching sim cards. I don't think anything will happen if you were to swap sim cards from phones, other than the fact that the replacement you are getting may very well still be locked, even though you maybe getting an AWS model. If anything, you may want to tell them that it was unlocked by AT&T :p

For anyone still on the fence or haven't done this yet, and still want the AWS model and still have a pristine non-AWS (unlocked) iPhone, but aren't sure what to say, show the genius the support article, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5720. Let them know that you are experiencing poor data services in x location, and that the article explains why. You'll do a service by educating the geniuses since it seems none of them really know about it, and they cant really say its "fake" or anything like that since its on their official support manual.

Unlocked = Unlocked replaced no matter where you get your unlock done from....I unlock phones as business and can assure you that All iPhone that are IMEI unlocked are permanent but also replacements reflect the Unlock Status on the unit being received.

ipaclansite

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
Thats good to know, if thats the case there shouldn't be any issue with the replacement being locked or unlocked then.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I'm gonna be getting my iPhone replaced hopefully tomorrow here in Chicago, IL did a fresh restore and gave up my jailbreak in hope for a AWS now...lol

ganja24

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2009
One thing I noticed was the first store I went to in the morning had like 15 people in it so they offered fixing the button, second store went friday afternoon it was a zoo they just herd what I told them and they offered replacement right away.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC

I had my iPhone unlocked 3rd party and the replacement I received was also unlocked. It wasn't a problem.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
My original ATT iPhone 5 *should* have been unlocked.

I had it replaced due to sleep/wake button failure. Discovered when I ported to TMobile, it worked with new SIM, before ETF cleared and any unlock request made.

Apple Store swapped it out for an AWS patched one, I only assume they didn't spontaneously lock it to TMo.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So IOS 7 is about to drop...anybody think they will turn on AWS on all phones?

Would have already if they could. A 6.1.x would have been far more convenient, cheaper than a new SKU, new serialization tracking, and publishing support documents about the different A1428's.

Indications are that its a very low firmware tweak that isn't changeable by iOS.

Tyrolier

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Pa
NE488LL/A & FH1D s/n

I can confirm FH1F - 32GB White

I can confirm (just got home with it) FH1D = 32GB Black
The NE488LL/A is, per Apple Care confirmation, not carrier locked.

Ty

PS: apologize if duplicate data.. I am still going back through the thread

Blipit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
So you guys are getting replacement under the original 1 year warranty? Not the Applecare+ $49 replacement?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So you guys are getting replacement under the original 1 year warranty? Not the Applecare+ $49 replacement?
A few are. A few aren't.

Depends on who you talk to, and how you approach the subject.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.