Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Can you confirm if its working through your email or phone number? Mine only works with email with wind mobile.

----------

Please confirm is imessage & facetime activated with phone number or email?

Don't want to hijack this tread, https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1599853/

my friend you wont have much success until jailbreak is out for next iOS version. This is something that plagued T-Mobile users for the longest time, it happens because Wind Mobile does not have a short code for iMessage + FaceTime activation (because they officially don't support iPhone yet), so the message must go to a International # (I dont know why apple choose it to be a UK number...but it is what it is).

My suggestion, Tweet to @Windmobile and their CEO, they usually look into matters and I'm sure much like T-Mobile went out of its way to support iPhone users, Wind Mobile will too! knowing how many customers it can/will gain thanks to the new AWS supported iPhone 5's being available to everyone!

Charliie

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2013
So this might be off subject but I bought an iphone5 of from Craigslist and it was from tmobile but my carrier is Verizon, what should I do?

Would I be able to bring it to apple and asked them to switch for an iPhone5 for Verizon?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
So this might be off subject but I bought an iphone5 of from Craigslist and it was from tmobile but my carrier is Verizon, what should I do?

Would I be able to bring it to apple and asked them to switch for an iPhone5 for Verizon?

Two completely different models.

What you see here are people with A1428's, where Apple forgot to enable a certain capable band in the early models, a bug if you will.

Yours is an entirely different ballgame.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I wonder why apple didnt bother enabling 1700 on the 1429 models....I mean the HSPA/HSPA+ radios are the exact same...they should have enabled it on all iPhones going forward and left out the LTE on the Verizon...at least would have made the phones 100% T-Mobile compatible, however most users can still use those phones on T-Mobile refarmed areas which is much better than Sprint iPhones lol

jdang905

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2013
@Satnam1989 How long does it take these iPhone unlocks to come through? Been waiting since Thursday.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
@Satnam1989 How long does it take these iPhone unlocks to come through? Been waiting since Thursday.

coulda msg'd me and i woulda gotten it done for you by 2pm friday...probably will be done monday im guessing depending on how long they have advertised.

Selxo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Ventura County, CA
My iphone has a cracked screen and most of the time shows it has "No Service".. Can I go into the apple store and get it replaced for a new model with AWS? Will it cost me anything?
(This is my first apple product so I don't know.)

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010
My iphone has a cracked screen and most of the time shows it has "No Service".. Can I go into the apple store and get it replaced for a new model with AWS? Will it cost me anything?
(This is my first apple product so I don't know.)

Do you have AppleCare+ on it? If not, then you will likely have to pay $139 to get the screen replaced, and there's a chance now, they will just replace the screen in store, and not give you a new phone. If you have AC+, then it'll be covered under your warranty, and you'll pay a $50 deductible. But you still run into the issue that they might just replace the screen, and not the whole phone.

Selxo

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2013
Ventura County, CA
Do you have AppleCare+ on it? If not, then you will likely have to pay $139 to get the screen replaced, and there's a chance now, they will just replace the screen in store, and not give you a new phone. If you have AC+, then it'll be covered under your warranty, and you'll pay a $50 deductible. But you still run into the issue that they might just replace the screen, and not the whole phone.

No I don't, but I got the screen replaced by my brother already. I do have another problem though. Sometimes it disconnects from the wifi network and shows "No Service" or "E" when I am in an area that has LTE. These are legit problems, but what else can I say to have them replace my iPhone to one that has AWS? (Or should I just be honest?)

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
No I don't, but I got the screen replaced by my brother already. I do have another problem though. Sometimes it disconnects from the wifi network and shows "No Service" or "E" when I am in an area that has LTE. These are legit problems, but what else can I say to have them replace my iPhone to one that has AWS? (Or should I just be honest?)

Show all of the signal problems you are having. All warranty replacement iPhones 5s support AWS.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011

I told the genius straight out why I visited.

If your story is otherwise weak, and they read between the lines, Im their shoes, I would be annoyed.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2010

If your story is otherwise weak, and they read between the lines, Im their shoes, I would be annoyed.

I would agree. If you are truly having issues with the device, then tell them that. But if you are not, then I would try honesty. It worked for me.

But, just FYI - You mentioned you are dropping WiFi, but then you mentioned also getting intermittent drops to Edge or No Service in some cases. I'm thinking they might say they two issues are unrelated, as the Edge/No Service issue is cellular related, where the other is WiFi. They might suggest you try to swap out the SIM chip for a new one, as a lot of times, a bad SIM can be the cause of signal drops like that.

The WiFi issue, it'll be up to their discretion on what's going on there, and whether to swap it or not.

Just giving you a heads up on what you might hear from them, if you go in with those issues.

Do you have more than one Apple store near you? If so, what I would do is go in and try the honesty route at the first store, and if that doesn't work, then go to the other and tell them about the issues. Either that, or be upfront and honest about the issues and wanting the AWS version at the first store, and see if they would just do it. Your call.

whadzinaname

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I had to do an exchange of my iPhone5 due to Wifi issues and stumbled on this thread while searching for the model#.

So what I got is a A1428 with serial# ending in FH19. From reading this thread, I should have the unlocked phone with the AWS enabled.

I took the SIM card from my friend's T-Mobile iPhone5(with the signal clearly showing 4G) and popped into mine. While it definitely picked up the T-Mobile signal, it was stuck on edge with an E. Multiple reboots didn't change that. When I popped it back in my friend's iPhone, it registered 4G.

I am able to enter the field test mode, but there is no UMTS info there. What gives? What am I missing?

gesuqu2e.jpg

Last edited:

danmosk

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013
MMS on iphone 5 and Wind.ca5

I have my unlocked T-Mobile iPhone 5 with Wind Mobile sim here in Canada. It works fine for data and voice, but I can't get the MMS to work, only SMS. I can iMessage with another apple email but not via a phone number. Here are the APN settings I have: Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Internet APN:
internet.windmobile.ca

MMS APN:
mms.windmobile.ca

MMSC:
http://mms.windmobile.ca

MMS proxy:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

At this point I'd guess that all the replacements support the AWS band since it's easiest to stock just one type for all the T-Mobile and AT&T customers who need new phones. I had mine swapped out yesterday since the wake/sleep button was acting up. I'm a bit surprised that there is no in-store fix for what is probably just a loose spring, and wasn't expecting a new phone, but sure enough that's what I got. It has the NE model number and the FHxx serial number. I don't have a T-Mobile SIM anymore but from all accounts it is T-Mobile compatible.

I'm guessing that Apple finds it easier just to take back the phones, send them back to the factory for refurbishment, and then use them as replacement devices. The AT&T unlocked model that was exchanged yesterday will likely find its way into the hands of a future warranty/repair customer with the AWS bands activated since they'll install the new firmware when they refurbish the phone.

I'd also guess that the 5S will have a single version for AT&T and T-Mobile, supporting both the AWS and AT&T LTE bands.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
I exchanged my phone today and got a F2LL, did they change the serial sequence?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I did not get to see the box when they replaced my handset.

According the apple's site, nothing has changed regarding the Serial # last 4 digit combo which differentiates AWS vs Non-AWS model.

Being in Canada, I can confidently say the odds of you getting AWS model = Lower due to the fact that Wind + Mobilicity do not officially carry the AWS model and the fact that Apple's A1428 hardware model of the iPhone 5 is only sold in USA + Canada (and maybe 1-2 other countries) probably explains why you ended up with a Non-AWS model recently as Apple does not have the need to carry the AWS model there, hence they probably dumping their old stock of new phones that they cannot issue out as replacements within USA (as T-Mobile requires AWS and Apple knows best to replace old AT&T models with added T-Mobile compatibility).

kess143

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
According the apple's site, nothing has changed regarding the Serial # last 4 digit combo which differentiates AWS vs Non-AWS model.

Being in Canada, I can confidently say the odds of you getting AWS model = Lower due to the fact that Wind + Mobilicity do not officially carry the AWS model and the fact that Apple's A1428 hardware model of the iPhone 5 is only sold in USA + Canada (and maybe 1-2 other countries) probably explains why you ended up with a Non-AWS model recently as Apple does not have the need to carry the AWS model there, hence they probably dumping their old stock of new phones that they cannot issue out as replacements within USA (as T-Mobile requires AWS and Apple knows best to replace old AT&T models with added T-Mobile compatibility).

Hey, just got my iPhone 5 16GB black replaced today due to an unresponsive screen. I'm still under warranty so I didn't even have to pay them anything for the replacement.

I checked the serial number and it does have the FH19 sequence and model number is: NE486LL/A.

The only problem is I think they replaced it with a locked iphone 5? My original iphone was bought from Bell but when I cancelled their service, I paid them the $75 to get it unlocked. I have been using it on Fido ever since. Only time I found out was when I tried my friend's Rogers sim card in my phone just to make sure it was still unlocked and it didn't accept it..

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey, just got my iPhone 5 16GB black replaced today due to an unresponsive screen. I'm still under warranty so I didn't even have to pay them anything for the replacement.

I checked the serial number and it does have the FH19 sequence and model number is: NE486LL/A.

The only problem is I think they replaced it with a locked iphone 5? My original iphone was bought from Bell but when I cancelled their service, I paid them the $75 to get it unlocked. I have been using it on Fido ever since. Only time I found out was when I tried my friend's Rogers sim card in my phone just to make sure it was still unlocked and it didn't accept it..

you can send me your IMEI and i can check for you if you like to make sure if its locked or unlocked (I provide unlock services to 1000's so on worries about privacy)

As strangely as it sounds, I had a similar issue, where I had a Bell iPhone 5 Unlocked, replaced, used on Telus and Fido for 2 months each. Then when I came to the States, it turned out to be locked to Fido...Apple didn't help me and I ended up paying Fido $50 to have it unlocked because they claimed it was their phone...my situation was probably rare - lets hope yours is resolved sooner and properly.

Do located your previous iPhone 5 IMEI #, have proof of your $75 payment and take it back to Apple otherwise, show them that you paid and it should be unlocked....besides from my one bad experience, all my iPhone replacements have come unlocked as the phones being replaced were Unlocked.

kess143

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
you can send me your IMEI and i can check for you if you like to make sure if its locked or unlocked (I provide unlock services to 1000's so on worries about privacy)

As strangely as it sounds, I had a similar issue, where I had a Bell iPhone 5 Unlocked, replaced, used on Telus and Fido for 2 months each. Then when I came to the States, it turned out to be locked to Fido...Apple didn't help me and I ended up paying Fido $50 to have it unlocked because they claimed it was their phone...my situation was probably rare - lets hope yours is resolved sooner and properly.

Do located your previous iPhone 5 IMEI #, have proof of your $75 payment and take it back to Apple otherwise, show them that you paid and it should be unlocked....besides from my one bad experience, all my iPhone replacements have come unlocked as the phones being replaced were Unlocked.

Hey bud, I appreciate the gesture but its all fixed now! I tried again after a few hours and it seems to have accepted the Rogers sim card...it did take like 5 min at the "Searching" part but it ended up connecting to their network.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Hey bud, I appreciate the gesture but its all fixed now! I tried again after a few hours and it seems to have accepted the Rogers sim card...it did take like 5 min at the "Searching" part but it ended up connecting to their network.

Awesome! try wind, we have seen great success with Wind+iPhone 5! I have a few friends on it and they like it so far as Wind Coverage has truly improved and I always root for that carrier to be Canada's 4th Official Carrier

kess143

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
Awesome! try wind, we have seen great success with Wind+iPhone 5! I have a few friends on it and they like it so far as Wind Coverage has truly improved and I always root for that carrier to be Canada's 4th Official Carrier

I would definitely give it a try but I don't have access to a wind nano sim card lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.