Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Update on my new Fre. Small oil patch, I mean small. Call quality is very good. Build is holding up well.

In summary, I am very pleased with the new one.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Update on my new Fre. Small oil patch, I mean small. Call quality is very good. Build is holding up well.

In summary, I am very pleased with the new one.

Fernie, what does the inside of the front piece look like? Any foam at all top or bottom, etc? Trying to see if its exactly the same as the colored cases or not. Thanks man.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Fernie, what does the inside of the front piece look like? Any foam at all top or bottom, etc? Trying to see if its exactly the same as the colored cases or not. Thanks man.

It's identical. My new case is the colored earth tone.

velascarlos

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
Spain, EU
Hi guys, I was thinking about buying this lifeproof case or waiting for the Griffin Survivor + Catalyst case to be released.

Do you know if you can use your phone under water with the lifeproof or do the touch screen doesn't respond while underwater?

Thanks.

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
You got your answer on the other thread but I figured I would answer here too

You can use the phone under water but since the iPhone has a capacitive touch screen it is unresponsive under water. You can use the up volume button to take photos or start recording but you have to launch the camera app first.

YoToddy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Issues Resolved?

So is it safe to assume that the Fre case is good to go now... As long as I get a colored case or a white or black one in the 100,000 range?

I bought one the week they were released and returnedhttp://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon7.gif it because of the vibrating pulse on the ear piece, not being able to end a call, the proximity sensor issues, and having to stuff post-it notes in the back of the case so the ring tone sounded normal. I don't care about the newton-rings.

If ALL of those issues have been resolved then I'll head down to Best Buy and pick up a white one and later a Magenta one for the wife :)

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
hey guys, i'm interested in one of these waterproof cases to replace my defender. i've been monitoring this thread through the many iterations of this case to see when they would finally get their act together and it sounds like the newest cases are pretty good.

however, the one thing holding me back is the headphone jack. i absolutely do not want to be using an adapter for my bose mie2i headphones. does anybody know if the bose headphone plug fits into the jack when the phone is in this case?

also, is the seido obex headphone jack any more accessible than the lifeproof? thanks!

Tj13

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
3rd case going back! What's with this loose piece of plastic?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 129

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
Yeah, I gave up a while ago. It sounds like maybe most issues are finally resolved. Although I would only trust the color cases to be the latest revisions...

I'm still holding out to try the Griffin Survivor+Catalyst. Catalyst keeps saying any day now...

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
Hows the call quality been on the receiving end? Any more complaints? That was what killed it on my first one. If I have an important call and they can't hear me. Whats the point.

Really like the FDE tone though. Sounds like things are improving.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
Hows the call quality been on the receiving end? Any more complaints? That was what killed it on my first one. If I have an important call and they can't hear me. Whats the point.

Really like the FDE tone though. Sounds like things are improving.

Really the only problem with the new ones I have noticed is that the oil slicks on them are absolutely terrible. That is something that can be dealt with though. Other than that I have noticed no problems with the new case. They need to put a thin strip of foam across the VERY top of the case, and leave the one on the very bottom of the case, but make it a bit thicker like it used to be, and I think it would almost eliminate the oil slicks without the screen pillowing.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I called and they state my case is counterfeit, impossible, i bought from best buy online, can someone help me please???

Did you provide them with the transaction # and info from the receipt showing you bought it from best buy?

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, I would agree with the oil slicks as the only problem left. Seriously though, it's not a big deal to me. The case works as advertised and the colors are awesome. I have encountered zero problems other then a bit of oil.

YoToddy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
So I was really considering trying one again since most of the people that were complaining here have all but disappeared... or maybe they just gave up.

I stopped by the Lifeproof Facebook page yesterday and it seems that people are still reporting issues like the vibrating pulse in the ear, not being able to end a call, and proximity sensor issues. I don't remember seeing any production numbers on any of the posts so I can't say for certain that these were people complaining about the newer cases but the posts were made yesterday.

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
So I was really considering trying one again since most of the people that were complaining here have all but disappeared... or maybe they just gave up.

I stopped by the Lifeproof Facebook page yesterday and it seems that people are still reporting issues like the vibrating pulse in the ear, not being able to end a call, and proximity sensor issues. I don't remember seeing any production numbers on any of the posts so I can't say for certain that these were people complaining about the newer cases but the posts were made yesterday.

I would stay away from the Facebook site. From what I can tell is that there still tons and tons of older version cases out there. I would bet at least 90 percent. Also, there are people who will bitch and moan no matter how good the case is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hurley82989

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
So in everyone's opinion are these cases worth trying out now? I've never had a lifeproof before- always had an otterbox defender and have been pretty happy with them. However, I'm looking to upgrade to something waterproof but have been wary based on all the negative feedback here.

If I order directly from the lifeproof website, does this guarantee receiving the most recent version?

HiRisk

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2013
If one were to walk into a Best Buy, is there anything on the packaging to indicate that it's the latest version of the LifeProof?

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
So in everyone's opinion are these cases worth trying out now? I've never had a lifeproof before- always had an otterbox defender and have been pretty happy with them. However, I'm looking to upgrade to something waterproof but have been wary based on all the negative feedback here.

If I order directly from the lifeproof website, does this guarantee receiving the most recent version?

I personally would say that ordering right from LifeProof does not guarantee you a new version case. I had a replacement case sent to me by LifeProof and it wasn't what appears to be the newest revision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.