Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
whats the trick with the condensed air?

Its to take the back piece off the case, and keep the phone in the front piece. Blow the condensed air all around the phone in the little open space between the phone and the sides of the case. I went around mine about 3 times kinda slowly, put the backpiece right back on, and oil slick free. I did that after he said something about it.

MauiGideon

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Considering buying this case... But had a few questions.

Does the Glass t.R fit inside the case along with the phone?

Also does anyone have anymore pictures of the new cyan colored case?

Ferniesp

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2012
Its to take the back piece off the case, and keep the phone in the front piece. Blow the condensed air all around the phone in the little open space between the phone and the sides of the case. I went around mine about 3 times kinda slowly, put the backpiece right back on, and oil slick free. I did that after he said something about it.

It's just like Novocain, works every time. I have no oil slicks since I did the air trick. Don't waste your time with powder, etc. Buy a can of condensed air and you won't look back.

terandall

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Ordered from LifeProof website 5 days ago (Sunday Feb. 10, 2013)

No issues/problems to report.

LifeProof oil slicks/newton rings resolution at http://www.lifeproof.com/en/support/knowledge-base/solution/2182/

How is your new color case? I just got one of the new colored cases as well and this is my first lifeproof case. Are you having any of the issues mentioned previously? Mine has a few oil slicks, but I'm thinking of adding a screen protector - I read that this would help. It seems like mine is vibrating a little on calls and it appears that the top and bottom of the screen protector are a little higher than the rest. Are experiencing any of this? I don't know if any of these issues qualify for a warranty exchange.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
How is your new color case? I just got one of the new colored cases as well and this is my first lifeproof case. Are you having any of the issues mentioned previously? Mine has a few oil slicks, but I'm thinking of adding a screen protector - I read that this would help. It seems like mine is vibrating a little on calls and it appears that the top and bottom of the screen protector are a little higher than the rest. Are experiencing any of this? I don't know if any of these issues qualify for a warranty exchange.

No issues/problems to report.

Bullet 1 of 2 works for me (besides condensed air can mentioned in this thread) at
http://www.lifeproof.com/en/support/knowledge-base/solution/2182/

I called LP directly Pacific Time off-peak (after 11pm PT) few times for general questions and hold times were not bad. LP customer support is 24x7.

LP Policies and Warranties at http://www.lifeproof.com/en/policies-and-warranties/
LifeProof is dedicated to bringing you the latest technology in high quality waterproof and shockproof iPhone cases and accessories. Your LifeProof case and LifeProof accessories boast a full 30-Day Satisfaction Guarantee policy. All LifeProof products may be returned within 30 days of purchase, to ensure that customer satisfaction is made on every purchase.

Your LifeProof products are warranted for 90 days. For the LifeProof case, your warranty may be extended up to 365 days by validating the warranty. If a material or workmanship defect arises and a valid claim is received within the Warranty (90 days) or Extended Warranty (365 days) Period, LifeProof will replace the case or accessory only. Warranty validation and extension includes the steps of registering your purchase, watching various informative videos, and filling out a questionnaire thereafter. LifeProof cannot be held liable for damages to personal property due to misuse or improper care and maintenance of case and O-ring seals.

IMG_2512.jpg

Last edited:

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
Do the latest versions still have the huge bubble under the proximity sensor when applied?

I know I have seen pictures without the little mountain but, I didn't know if people were removing it themselves.

mrbunglez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 20, 2010
Do the latest versions still have the huge bubble under the proximity sensor when applied?

I know I have seen pictures without the little mountain but, I didn't know if people were removing it themselves.

Answer to your question: No.

And all you people complaining about "oil slicks" are nit picky. It does what it says it does which is protect from the elements without adding bulk to your device. Quit being spoiled, it's not like the "oil slicks" hinder the touch screen in any way.

Leave the cosmetics to breast implants........

Last edited:

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Last edited:

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA

I just got a black model at Best Buy, in the 667XXX range. Terrible buzzing/vibrating in the earpiece during calls, even when both parties are not speaking. I'm going to have to go through LP to resolve this one because someone torched my car the other night and the box was inside, so I can't simply return it to BB.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I just got a black model at Best Buy, in the 667XXX range. Terrible buzzing/vibrating in the earpiece during calls, even when both parties are not speaking. I'm going to have to go through LP to resolve this one because someone torched my car the other night and the box was inside, so I can't simply return it to BB.

Just get the otterbox armor case. The extra bulk is worth it because it doesn't have audio problems, oil slick, rainbowing and you won't lose the headphone gasket

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Water test- Check
Pillowing- None!
Rainbow effect- None!
Oil slicks-None!
Sound Quality- better than the first one but still somewhat muffled!

110% better than the first version! I am satisfied and will not be returning this one!

sound quality still somewhat muffled??

Make sure you follow the proper instructions/videos on LifeProof dot com on how to insert the case. It should be inserted from top to bottom. The gaskets can be moved out of place and can cause water leaks and muffle the speaker and microphone if NOT inserted from top to bottom.

rtmadden

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Maryland

Yikes.

myMacRumors

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2010
Will these work with a glas.tr??

I'm wondering the same.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/support/knowledge-base/solution/2169/
Our LifeProof cases have a durable and scratch resistant screen cover for your device, which also has an anti-glare coating. We do not advise any additional screen protectors placed on the device because it may negatively affect the touchscreen sensitivity as well as the optical clarity of your device.

http://www.lifeproof.com/en/support/knowledge-base/solution/2170/
LifeProof Cases are created with dimensions to specifically fit the device itself. Products that change the dimensions of the LifeProof case would not be compatible with our case.

While the Zagg InvisibleSHIELD does not affect the dimensions of the iPhone, it introduces a thin layer over the screen which, when coupled with the LifeProof case, may affect touchscreen sensitivity as well as the optical clarity. For this reason it is not recommended that you use an InvisibleSHIELD with your LifeProof case - the case will keep your phone more than safe enough!

Mkuzmenko

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2013

I have been following this thread for a while and finally decided to join.

I have found luck in using a screen protector between the phone and the front of the lifeproof case. I used a very thing screen protector that came with the Otterbox and had NO rings.

The fact of the matter is that I should not have to purchase or use something additional for a case.

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
I have been following this thread for a while and finally decided to join.

I have found luck in using a screen protector between the phone and the front of the lifeproof case. I used a very thing screen protector that came with the Otterbox and had NO rings.

The fact of the matter is that I should not have to purchase or use something additional for a case.

Well technically you don't have to, as there are other ways to get around the rings.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Well technically you don't have to, as there are other ways to get around the rings.

Switched to the otterbox armor and haven't looked back.

I probably went through 5 lifeproof cases and all had problems. Whether it be with the screen (rainbows, oil slicks), buzzing when on calls, people not being able to hear me on calls, screen is difficult to press because a gap and case clacks when on speaker cause the back panel is vibrating so hard.

This company released a product to the public for beta testing and is very shady. I asked customer service if they have been having problems with the fre and he said no (which I know is complete ********).

Switch to the otterbox armor and you won't have any issues aside from a bit of bulk which I think is worth it.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Switched to the otterbox armor and haven't looked back.

I probably went through 5 lifeproof cases and all had problems. Whether it be with the screen (rainbows, oil slicks), buzzing when on calls, people not being able to hear me on calls, screen is difficult to press because a gap and case clacks when on speaker cause the back panel is vibrating so hard.

This company released a product to the public for beta testing and is very shady. I asked customer service if they have been having problems with the fre and he said no (which I know is complete ********).

Switch to the otterbox armor and you won't have any issues aside from a bit of bulk which I think is worth it.

Does not seem to be the opinion of all that bought the Armor in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1546583/

MauiGideon

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2008
Been watching this thread for a while also, Otterbox armor is just too big for me. If you take a look at those pictures in the thread its huge! These lifeproof issues do worry me though... I just bought the Earth colored one and I decided that if it had any of these problems it would be returned quickly. I can understand oil slicks (Which can be fixed i know...) but not being able to hear/talk to the person you called? I mean cmon this is a phone...

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Yes, there are a couple people on there that have complained, you are right. Two people had water leak and one person had clips that rattled.
Look through the thread here though...yikes.

Agreed, I just don't think any of them are that good yet. I tried the Armor and they could not get the back to seal on the side opposite of the clamps and the mute switch would not work. Now maybe that was one that was defective, but did not feel good about it after a bad experience with Seidio Obex. I really like that one until it kept coming open and would not snap shut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.