Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SayCheese

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2007
Oxfordshire, England
I'm a long time Aperture user, indeed it's what originally made me buy a mac from a PC.
I am currently running Aperture 3 and yesterday downloaded the LR 4 beta to see what all the fuss is about.
I have to say that so far I am thinking that LR 4 may become my editing software of choice. I'm not sure what it is but somehow the process seems better than in Aperture, maybe it's not though, maybe it's just that the process is different and Aperture is due an upgrade.

Anyway I shall keep playing with LR 4 and will see how I get on.

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I tested some more yesterday and I have to agree brushes are superior in Lightroom. Aperture's brush system is a pain to use, Lightroom's is far more pleasant and useful.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
Looks like most of the presets I have accumulated will need updating. They're not my presets and so it could be difficult for me.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Are the new features (at least being shown off in the beta) make it worth upgrading when they do eventually release it for sale. I'm pretty content with LR3 and I have little desire to plunk down money on something that might only be marginally better (for my needs).

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I'm seeing this one as more of a refinement than the LR3 upgrade.

LR3 really improved the RAW engine and filled in a lot of annoying missing features (ability to print to jpg etc.).

This one looks like an incremental improvement in tools, as well as the addition of the mapping and book making modules (neither of which I can see myself using).

Personally I'll upgrade. I use lightroom a lot and am looking forward to using the new develop controls. I'm also thinking of buying a new camera this year, and Adobe never back-port RAW handling to previous versions (although you can get 'round that if you use DNG).

If you're fine with LR3 though, there's no compulsion to upgrade. This isn't the full product anyway - it might be 6 months before full LR4 is on sale. I'm hopping the add more features (like Peaking to enable images to be selected for sharpness).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you're fine with LR3 though, there's no compulsion to upgrade. This isn't the full product anyway - it might be 6 months before full LR4 is on sale. I'm hopping the add more features (like Peaking to enable images to be selected for sharpness).
I know, for my needs LR3 is perfect - no complaints.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Please no, Face recognition has turned iPhoto into a bloated piece of crap.

Face recognition is a must. It would give me a reason to upgrade.

It also needs 3D. I am looking to replace the Elements bundle with MAGIX because of this.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Not impressed at all. They should just update Lightroom 3 and add the few new features like white balance control slider.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.