Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spades

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Finder updates?

I don't think the way finder works when you press a letter is a bug. I don't think pressing the same letter is intended to cycle through all files starting with that letter. Instead, try this: For Desktop type "des", for DFD.ptp type "df", and for Default.htm type "def". Finder will go right to the file you want in each case.

As for the lack of a location toolbar, I don't really see a problem. There are numerous ways that Apple could implement finder, and they have to pick one. The way the picked is not the way you want it to be, so tough luck. That said, you can get the functionality you want in finder anyways. Bring up "Go to folder" by typing command-shift-g. Type "/Use" into the text box and then hit tab. It expands to /Users. So there you have it, Finder DOES have name completion. All it doesn't do is list the possible completions. It picks the first completion.

Originally posted by fjleon
Ok i am happy to see that arranging works as expected. I am still not happy about the lack of a bar i can type and autocomplete folders and files (perhaps some extension available to do this?) and the file selecting bug which happens when typing the first letter of a file, for example i have 3 files, Desktop, DFD.ppt, and Default.htm, hitting d or shift-d takes me to the first one but doesn't cycle between them

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
Re: Re: Safari

Originally posted by Chip NoVaMac
Amen to that!

i work in advertising. The paer is moving towards E-Tearsheets. Guess what? Their system won't recognize my Safari browser!

Like i told them what happens now that M$ has stopped further development of the IE Mac browser? Do i have to maintain a Windows machine?

If the system you are describing is worth anything, the E-Tearsheets would be in PDF format, not some html format.

1. This allows you to keep everything exactly as it appears in the print version w/ no worry about format changes when converting to html. Yes, you can have someone else write a script or something else that might do this somewhat easily, but why? Even the lack luster Quark can export a page to PDF. If you are using Indesign it is extremely easy.

2. PDF's is the only format that you really can rely on working on any platform w/no changes. It also makes it very easy to save and archive. Not to mention, PDF works with any browser.

MacBandit

macrumors 604

Ok i am happy to see that arranging works as expected. I am still not happy about the lack of a bar i can type and autocomplete folders and files (perhaps some extension available to do this?) and the file selecting bug which happens when typing the first letter of a file, for example i have 3 files, Desktop, DFD.ppt, and Default.htm, hitting d or shift-d takes me to the first one but doesn't cycle between them

Ah, you are missing something here. You don't want to just hit D. You want to type the name of the file and it will take you to it in that folder. So to get DFD.ppt You would just start typing the name DFD and by the time you type DF it should have selected it.

Also don't you have a search box at the top of your finder windows on the right side?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Re: Cookie Management

Originally posted by dekator
I'm still looking for a decent cookie management in Safari. Why, far from being able to filter cookies you can't even tell it to ask you before accepting a cookie. In that respect, Safari is way behind everything else in the market, even IE and by a long shot. It's again Apple to decreeing 'what is needed' and what not. Choice!
Thats what Omniweb is for. ;)
And, Omniweb uses the same opensource rendering engine as Safari, so as far as Apple decreeing only 'what is needed and what is not' doesn't go that far....there is actually quite a bit of choice out there.

jessefoxperry

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003
hmmm...

So I happened upon the new version of Safari, but I'm not able to load any page. Going to a bookmarked page does absolutely nothing. I can change the preferences and everything else, just not browse the web. Strange.

razorme

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Calgary, AB
Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by jessefoxperry
So I happened upon the new version of Safari, but I'm not able to load any page. Going to a bookmarked page does absolutely nothing. I can change the preferences and everything else, just not browse the web. Strange.

You need to update the version of webkit in your frameworks directory too.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: hmmm...

Originally posted by jessefoxperry

Don't mess with prerelease software if often ends in heartbreak.

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909

Ok i am happy to see that arranging works as expected. I am still not happy about the lack of a bar i can type and autocomplete folders and files (perhaps some extension available to do this?)

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try Go>Go To Folder... or Cmd-Shift-G. It pops up a "sheet" on the open finder window where you can type a path name for a folder. For instance, if you type "/a", it will autocomplete "/Applications", and so on.

If that's not what you are looking for, look into the shareware program LaunchBar.

nolaPBG4

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
N'awlins
Originally posted by MacBandit
What do you mean?

if its the same problem i have, it means you can't download an attachment cause you keep getting the "please enter your password" page every time you click "download"

i have to use ie/camino to dl attachments from hotmail.

not sure who's fault it is..........

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
hotmail attachments

yeah, that's so annoying, whenever i try to download an attachment in hotmail when i'm using safari, it just brings me to a "please retype your password" page.

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Fixing bugs in OSX and Safari would be preferable to spending time adding new features.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Originally posted by yamabushi
Fixing bugs in OSX and Safari would be preferable to spending time adding new features.

I find it strange that Safari would go off on a tangent of "web compatibility" in the name of standards when it is the antithesis of user experince of being able to view everything. If web pages tend to use silly browser specific code or for that matter "bad code", the browser should cope with that so the user can simply and seamlessly view any website. You can quote me on that.

Rocketman

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by Rocketman
I find it strange that Safari would go off on a tangent of "web compatibility" in the name of standards when it is the antithesis of user experince of being able to view everything. If web pages tend to use silly browser specific code or for that matter "bad code", the browser should cope with that so the user can simply and seamlessly view any website.
Whaaaa?

Do you mean that all browsers should exactly emulate IE? I'm pretty sure that's impossible with the limited resources Apple has. I'll bet you it would take several times more developers to make any browser replicate all of IE's quirks, not to mention proprietary Microsoft things that (for all I know) might get Apple sued for trying to include them.
You can quote me on that.
I guess so, but I'm still not sure what it meant.... ;)

WM

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Rocketman
I find it strange that Safari would go off on a tangent of "web compatibility" in the name of standards when it is the antithesis of user experince of being able to view everything. If web pages tend to use silly browser specific code or for that matter "bad code", the browser should cope with that so the user can simply and seamlessly view any website. You can quote me on that.

Rocketman

This sort of flexibility opens holes in security. Just ask anyone that knows why windows and IE are so vulnerable.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Well I've been using Safari 1.2 under 10.3.2 for quite a few hours now. With lots of tabs, downloads etc....and it hasn't crashed once. Seems fine so far, should be good for 10.3.3 :)

fjleon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finder updates?

Originally posted by coolsoldier
I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but try Go>Go To Folder... or Cmd-Shift-G. It pops up a "sheet" on the open finder window where you can type a path name for a folder. For instance, if you type "/a", it will autocomplete "/Applications", and so on.

If that's not what you are looking for, look into the shareware program LaunchBar.

Yes, this is similar to what i was looking for , too bad it isn't built in the interface like that search bar; i will try to see what that app does, thanks

fjleon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Finder updates?

Ah, you are missing something here. You don't want to just hit D. You want to type the name of the file and it will take you to it in that folder.

Oh thanks. I guess i am still used to windows/linux

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Re: Re: Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by MacBandit
What do you mean by this? I don't know how that persons question or the answer has anything to do with Exposé which works fine with Safari for me anyway.

I meant with tabbed windows :)

Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Whaa?!?

As for cycling through tabs: Command + shift + left/right arrow

I'd rather not have to hit the left/right arrow repeatedly, sometimes I DL a lot of images at the same time and I like to see them all at the same time but it'd be nice to keep them tabbed in one window for viewing....that's what I meant....

AppleMatt, thanks for the defense but I wasn't aware of that issue :)

Quixcube

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2002
Athens, GA
Pogo

I just want to be able to play Tumblebees at http://www.pogo.com. It could be a Java issue though... because I haven't found a browser on OS X yet that can play it, although if I play it in IE under Classic (blarg barf) it runs OK.

*sigh* Its always the games that get me on a Mac.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I would like to see more Javascript fixes, and LiveScript. LiveScript is the reason many web pages aren't Mac-compatible. IE for MacOS 9 is the only Mac browser that supports it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.