Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Finder updates?

Originally posted by fjleon
Hi i just switched to a powerbook because my pc laptop was getting slow.

I mainly got it because i wanted to play with OSX and i love linux and open source in general.

I would like to know if this new 10.3.3 version has a way to auto arrange files/folders by name just like windows does. It is annoying to keep doing a manual arrange each time i want to find a file.

Another question, is that if there is an improved way to navigate files in Finder?. I would LOVE to be able to type the folder name with auto complete, just like windows and desktops environments in linux do.

I HATE having files and if i type the first letter of one it goes there but it doesn't work right or works with all files all the time.

There are folder view option in the view menu. You can also get them by typing command-J.

The dynamic search box at the top right works specifically the way you choose it to. The magnifying glass has a drop down menu with a few choices on where you are searching. Also you can type command-f to get a find box and do a search from there. I've never seen a windows system that was as easy to find files on as the Mac OS so I hope we can work your problems out. I think it must just be because it's new to you.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Re: Finder updates?

Originally posted by fjleon
Hi i just switched to a powerbook because my pc laptop was getting slow.

I mainly got it because i wanted to play with OSX and i love linux and open source in general.

I would like to know if this new 10.3.3 version has a way to auto arrange files/folders by name just like windows does. It is annoying to keep doing a manual arrange each time i want to find a file.

Another question, is that if there is an improved way to navigate files in Finder?. I would LOVE to be able to type the folder name with auto complete, just like windows and desktops environments in linux do.

I HATE having files and if i type the first letter of one it goes there but it doesn't work right or works with all files all the time.

That has been an option for a long long time. Every version of X I remember Perhaps OS9.

Apple-J for view options. click on the "Keep arranged by" and then select how you want it arranged. it is also at the bottom of the view menu

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Buggy Safari

Originally posted by BackInTheSaddle
I hope the new version is less buggy than 1.1.1. I like the overall interface of Safari, but I've had two major problems:

1. A number of sites will not display properly in Safari (even though they do in IE and Netscape).

2. Safari seems to crash regularly on my Macs, and I find myself waiting with the spinning beachball even after a page loads. Just trying to move my cursor to a form field, can take forever with no apparent reason.

Does anyone see the beachball repeatedly while working in Safari? I get this all the time and it gets really frustrating.

There are still some incompatibilities with some sites but at this point it's more of a matter of bad code on the site or browser specific code. I expect compatibility with this will probably improve in future versions of Safari.

I don't have any instability problems or spinning beachballs with Safari. I regularly have 30 or 40 tabs opened at once as well and have never seen a slow down with it. You may have a loaded cache or some temp files that need clearing. Also permissions could cause it as well.

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by mkjellman
just checked the seed note...there are quite a few problems. This will be the first seed since the Panther seeds came out that I am going to skip. I am not going to be specific so i don't violate the ADC rules but it seems to go backwards....many of the problems were in the first builds of Panther if i remember correctly.

I'm in that boat as well. There are just too many issues for me at the moment.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Games and OpenGL

I agree with the poster who mentioned about how important the updates to graphics, OpenGL and games are.

Currently there are a number of ongoing bugs (such as solid screen colour on resolution switching and slow nVidia texture purging) that desperately need to be improved, along with general improvements which will help give all games the boost they need.

It's (OpenGL implementation) a major weakness, IMO, of Mac OS X currently. Also nVidia could do with getting in gear driver wise.

Some people vote negative because they do not like the ADC NDA being broken with information like this. I'm not too bothered, makes for interesting reading/speculation. I don't see why they should have to explain themselves in a post, everyone has an opinion.

AppleMatt

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
fix printing please

I hope Apple fixes printing with this update. I have problems with a usb-Parallel adapter and an airport linked inkjet. Have tried every possible fix but the USB cables need to be plugged out and in and inkjet printing often just stops half way (through a nice piece of photo paper).

I agree with a previous poster; printing is a mess. Why can't they reduce the number of anoying windows that open and close. And if you've more than one printer, why not combine them into one big status window/app, combined with the print utility as well?

BTW my HP 1220c has stopped twice while I have typed this. If they must release buggy, poorly tested upgrades, at least make it possible to downgrade back to, say, 10.3.1 which worked fine.

El Capitano

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2004
Zync wrote:
First of all How can you not like tabbing to things? Secondly, what does it matter if it's on or off? If you don't use it you won't notice it, unless you like to randomly hit the Tab button or something
I like tabbing to things... but my definition of "things" may vary from yours.
I complete text boxes using the keyboard. Therefore I expect to be able to tab between them using the keyboard.
I complete checkboxes using the mouse. Therefore a keyboard control is irrelevant to me.
That's just how I see it. You don't have to agree with me.

WM.

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2003
Originally posted by ginoledesma
The thing is, there's some inconsistency. The computer isn't "mounted" on the desktop per se. Its in the network browser list, so you can't drag it to the trash to disconnect from it, nor is there an option to disconnect through the contextual menu.
You can't drag the server name--not the volume name--to the trash? This works for AFP, but:
This is specific to SMB networking I believe,
I'm perfectly willing to believe that, but do me a favor and try dragging the server name to the trash first. :)
which has led me to get a copy of DAVE instead.

In my wish list is for Mac OS 10.3 to have the option to mount hidden SMB shares. Right now, if a share is hidden, there is absolutely no way to access it from the Finder. Hidden SMB shares are made by appending the $ symbol at the end of the name (e.g. Hidden$ causes it to be hidden from view). The only way to access this is through the command line using smbclient, which, by the way, works 100% for me. Unfortunately, I don't expect everyone, switchers especially who are used to Windows file sharing, to use the smbclient tool to get files from Windows servers.

Yet another is to TOTALLY REVAMP the way we access SMB shares. As it is, Windows has a far superior, and far easier way of sharing/accessing files. It just works "smoothly" and most of the time. I'm sure Apple could think of something easier/better. The Mac OS 9.2 Network Browser was promising, but it didn't feel as "integrated."

Of course, I don't expect all these in the next update, but I'm hoping. :)
Yeah, I feel for you, even though I haven't even used SMB yet. Certainly things have gotten better since 10.0/10.1, though, and I think we have to expect that they'll continue to do so. Plus, at least for SMB, Apple is highly dependent on the development of Samba, which they have little-to-no control over (although I'm sure they could have some developers contribute to it if they wanted). OTOH, Panther with its newer version of Samba is, at least in some cases, worse than Jaguar with its older version, so something else must be up...

WM

coolsoldier

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
The 909
I would like to see things like tabbing to checkboxes work the same way in Safari that they work in every other OS X program. That is, if you turn on "full keyboard access" you can tab to anything, otherwise you only tab to fields where you can type.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Gutted G5 was a hoax!

Originally posted by macmax
I FEEL SICK, i am going to bed now, i emailed that sucker

i just said , oh my God, stupidity is among subhumans too.

For those who don't know, the guy who supposedly gutted his G5 to put in PC components eventually admitted it was a hoax, using an empty case. He only did it to get a rise out of a friend of his; had no idea it would be publicized. Poor kid got hundreds of nasty notes.

Personally, I think this hoax and the response to it is the funniest darn thing I've seen in a long, long time. The way people were whining, you'd think their own pets had been tortured to death.

splashman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Originally posted by Aqua OS X
please, say "son of a bitch."

We'll all much much happier :D

I and the moderators would be much happier if you actually complied with the forum rules. Keep the profanity to yourself, please.

Thank you.

vrapan

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
UK
Searching broken?

It seems to not work with anything else except if you choose to search in the Home folder. But Safari seems much more responsive and I love the resume functionality.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by mattroberts
pascalpp and others

I may have missed a previous post for this but You don't need to install safari inhancer to get the debug menu

1- gointo terminal
2- TYPE: defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Now, if anyone knows a way to cycle through all my tabs, without the mouse, I'd appreciate that. Kind of an Alt-Tab for just Safari tabs? :)

cheers
m

Yeah, you know what'd be really nice? If exposé actually worked with Safari! :D

Originally posted by mclosers
not sure about tense of mouse there

You don't have to be sure, nouns don't have a tense :) I think you meant that you weren't sure of the plural form of mouse...yes, it's mice...

ultimind

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2003
Here and There
Apple Developer People around?

Can any people who have installed the newly seeded 10.3.3 tell us if it truely is any better? (No specifics cuz i know you're not allowed) but just in general...is this a positive update or a not-so-positive update ala 10.2.8 (original) release?

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by MacBandit
Why don't you use Camino or one of the other great 3rd party browser rather than IE if Safari doesn't work for you?

Cause IE works well enough for me :) I was always an IE fan actually, I prefer it on windows however (sadly)...but if Safari would just add a few things then IE would probably be deleted, or at least off my dock :)

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Re: Re: Finder updates?

Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
That has been an option for a long long time. Every version of X I remember Perhaps OS9.

Apple-J for view options. click on the "Keep arranged by" and then select how you want it arranged. it is also at the bottom of the view menu

Yes, even OS9....probably 7&8 too....actually I can't see any GUI not having this....

Originally posted by El Capitano
Zync wrote:

I like tabbing to things... but my definition of "things" may vary from yours.
I complete text boxes using the keyboard. Therefore I expect to be able to tab between them using the keyboard.
I complete checkboxes using the mouse. Therefore a keyboard control is irrelevant to me.
That's just how I see it. You don't have to agree with me.

No, I agree...that's pretty much how I tab to things...My point, however, was that you can still use the mouse to check checkboxes or you can tab and hit space (usually anyway)....either way it's pretty much seamless (i.e. it does it's job without you noticing). I wasn't disagreeing with you, I was asking a question :)

One other thing that would be nice: having a choice between 1. saving all things in the same folder (desktop is a folder BTW) and 2. prompting where to save each file like IE...

dekator

macrumors regular
May 18, 2002
Krautistan
Cookie Management

I'm still looking for a decent cookie management in Safari. Why, far from being able to filter cookies you can't even tell it to ask you before accepting a cookie. In that respect, Safari is way behind everything else in the market, even IE and by a long shot. It's again Apple to decreeing 'what is needed' and what not. Choice!

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Re: Re: debug menu in safari

Originally posted by zync
Yeah, you know what'd be really nice? If exposé actually worked with Safari! :D

Whaa?!?

As for cycling through tabs: Command + shift + left/right arrow

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: Re: Re: debug menu in safari

What do you mean by this? I don't know how that persons question or the answer has anything to do with Exposé which works fine with Safari for me anyway.

Type in an address you've previously visited such as macrumors.com and wait for the drop-down of all macrumors.com addresses you've visited. Now activate Expose.

It's an Apple confirmed bug and they are working on a fix.

AppleMatt

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by superfula
I haven't figured out how to just hit the tab key to go through the tabs.

Go into System Preferences, and under Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard Shortcuts tab, make sure turn on full keyboard access is checked... and this is only on Safari 1.2, which AFAIK only works on 10.3.3...

As for the guy posting the pic of Safari 1.2 on 10.3.2, it's not very hard to right click Safari, select View Package Contents and edit the version strings in info.plist ;)

fjleon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Re: Re: Finder updates?

There are folder view option in the view menu. You can also get them by typing command-J.

The dynamic search box at the top right works specifically the way you choose it to. The magnifying glass has a drop down menu with a few choices on where you are searching. Also you can type command-f to get a find box and do a search from there. I've never seen a windows system that was as easy to find files on as the Mac OS so I hope we can work your problems out. I think it must just be because it's new to you.

Ok i am happy to see that arranging works as expected. I am still not happy about the lack of a bar i can type and autocomplete folders and files (perhaps some extension available to do this?) and the file selecting bug which happens when typing the first letter of a file, for example i have 3 files, Desktop, DFD.ppt, and Default.htm, hitting d or shift-d takes me to the first one but doesn't cycle between them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.