Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by WM.
I remember that in the comments on that blog entry quite a few people mentioned combo boxes, like you see all over the place in Watson, but he didn't seem too hot on those, so I think he must've used the weight of the Safari team to get this added to the OS. Oh, and later he publicly announced that there would be tabbing to form elements, IIRC.

Well, I *am* a developer. :) Mac OS X all the way back to 10.1 (or possibly 10.0) has supported tabbing to buttons and other window elements. Why Safari doesn't support it is a mystery to me.

WebKit is built into 10.3 now. I'm not sure if the APIs for it have been released or not, though. I know at least some other companies have access to them but they might still be under NDA.

Progressive loading of images has been built into the Mac OS since at least 7.6. It's part of QuickTime.

sdf

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2004
Originally posted by MacBandit
No I'm still correct. I know what you are referring to but it can't be done in Safari.

Oh, really? I just did it. This is not a difficult thing to check.

[mod. edit - Insult]

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
My one complaint from using 1.2 is you can't tab TO combo boxes and continue using the keyboard arrows or letters to select what you want. You have to click on them. For example...best buy's website. You type your zip code in, your address, but the state is in a combo box, which safari won't tab to.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by El Capitano
Photorun wrote:

I voted negative because
a) I don't like the "Ability to 'tab' to form elements (buttons, checkboxes, submit buttons)" and am disappointed this isn't an option;
b) this looks like another Safari upgrade that won't be available for Jaguar.

That do you?

First of all How can you not like tabbing to things? Secondly, what does it matter if it's on or off? If you don't use it you won't notice it, unless you like to randomly hit the Tab button or something :)

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
nuff said, got Safari working in 10.3.2 :)

safari.jpg

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
Originally posted by WM.
This already works. There's always a space to the right of the rightmost tab, into which you can drag a link to create a new tab with that link. Once you get enough tabs that the >> overflow menu appears, you can drag links onto that and you'll also get a new tab. At least, that works with links from Safari windows--maybe it doesn't work with links from other apps...?

HTH
WM

The thing is, there's some inconsistency. The computer isn't "mounted" on the desktop per se. Its in the network browser list, so you can't drag it to the trash to disconnect from it, nor is there an option to disconnect through the contextual menu. This is specific to SMB networking I believe, which has led me to get a copy of DAVE instead.

In my wish list is for Mac OS 10.3 to have the option to mount hidden SMB shares. Right now, if a share is hidden, there is absolutely no way to access it from the Finder. Hidden SMB shares are made by appending the $ symbol at the end of the name (e.g. Hidden$ causes it to be hidden from view). The only way to access this is through the command line using smbclient, which, by the way, works 100% for me. Unfortunately, I don't expect everyone, switchers especially who are used to Windows file sharing, to use the smbclient tool to get files from Windows servers.

Yet another is to TOTALLY REVAMP the way we access SMB shares. As it is, Windows has a far superior, and far easier way of sharing/accessing files. It just works "smoothly" and most of the time. I'm sure Apple could think of something easier/better. The Mac OS 9.2 Network Browser was promising, but it didn't feel as "integrated."

Of course, I don't expect all these in the next update, but I'm hoping. :)

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
so, is this available anywhere to download?? Specifically the 10.3.3 update, or am I going to have to wait for the full release??

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
its only avaliable via the SW update which isn't avalaible yet it only just went into beta for ADC members

nexuk

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Searching in 10.3.3?

Anyone notice that file searching in the finder seems to be broken in the 10.3.3 seed?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by ginoledesma
In my wish list is for Mac OS 10.3 to have the option to mount hidden SMB shares. Right now, if a share is hidden, there is absolutely no way to access it from the Finder. Hidden SMB shares are made by appending the $ symbol at the end of the name (e.g. Hidden$ causes it to be hidden from view). The only way to access this is through the command line using smbclient, which, by the way, works 100% for me. Unfortunately, I don't expect everyone, switchers especially who are used to Windows file sharing, to use the smbclient tool to get files from Windows servers.

Hidden shares are meant to be hidden, so hopefully you aren't expecting to see them in the Network browser. You do NOT have to use the command line. All you have to do is use the cmd-k Connect To... function like everyone used to do. Then its smb://ip.add.re.ss/share$

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
Re: it's about effing time!

Originally posted by chickengrease16
i am like many users out there that have appreciated the mac and its culture but had to be a PC user for financial reasons until i could afford a mac. and one of the biggest upsets of switching to mac was the lack of support for many keys THAT COME ON THE KEYBOARD! like tab (you cant tab to elements in safari or many other programs with aqua interface), home/end (in ichat especially it bothers me that you cant home/end), and del (flaky in terminal). but this is great news, although they should have had tab-to-elements from the beginning.

home: command-leftarrow
end: command-rightarrow

fartheststar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
Toronto
Originally posted by virividox
if 10.3.3 comes by march then we are sure to see a new OS come december, thats if they continue at this rate :D

Well, I'm running 10.2.8 at this time and it's stable. Watching how fast these updates are coming out, I think I'll stay where I am for a while. Some of the programs that Jaguar "Broke" that I have haven't even been fixed yet.

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
Originally posted by superfula
No it's not. Download manager is still a separate window
Misread the question, sorry...

It's the same key combo as it was in 1.1.1. No need to talk about NDA
Actually I was referring to the fact that in Safari1.2 (125) you can actually just hit the tab key to go through your tabs...

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Download Manager

One should be able to double-click on the files right in the download manager, instead of first clicking the magnifying glass to open it´s folder, and then double-clicking the file.

BackInTheSaddle

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2002
Olympic Peninsula, WA
Buggy Safari

I hope the new version is less buggy than 1.1.1. I like the overall interface of Safari, but I've had two major problems:

1. A number of sites will not display properly in Safari (even though they do in IE and Netscape).

2. Safari seems to crash regularly on my Macs, and I find myself waiting with the spinning beachball even after a page loads. Just trying to move my cursor to a form field, can take forever with no apparent reason.

Does anyone see the beachball repeatedly while working in Safari? I get this all the time and it gets really frustrating.

Tulse

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Hey, mac15, do you have a theme running, or is Safari's brushed metal much lighter than before?

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Matrix9180
Misread the question, sorry...

Actually I was referring to the fact that in Safari1.2 (125) you can actually just hit the tab key to go through your tabs...

I haven't figured out how to just hit the tab key to go through the tabs.

fjleon

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2004
Finder updates?

Hi i just switched to a powerbook because my pc laptop was getting slow.

I mainly got it because i wanted to play with OSX and i love linux and open source in general.

I would like to know if this new 10.3.3 version has a way to auto arrange files/folders by name just like windows does. It is annoying to keep doing a manual arrange each time i want to find a file.

Another question, is that if there is an improved way to navigate files in Finder?. I would LOVE to be able to type the folder name with auto complete, just like windows and desktops environments in linux do.

I HATE having files and if i type the first letter of one it goes there but it doesn't work right or works with all files all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.