Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
Lion being the "King." I thought it would've ended with it and just continue using it/upgrading.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
My three top pics:

"the New OS X" :rolleyes:

OS X - Ocelot
800px-Ocelot.jpg

OS X - Mummified Egyptian Cat
cat-mummy.jpg

willvbcfc

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Lynx would be best brand-wise.

Though I reckon they'll move to another exotic animal species rather than stay within the cat family.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Gryphon might actually make a bit of symbolic sense, although it's a mythical creature. This would be particularly true if they switch to bird names next.

Lynx would be a safe choice, it's a real animal and sounds intimidating enough.

Cougar...with the way that one is used in pop culture it would be like Apple saying "Our OS might be old, but it's still hot". Really lame--though a few years ago it would have made some sense.

Ocelot, Maru or any of the other lesser-known cats wouldn't make much sense for a mass market product from Apple, I just don't see them going that way.

I doubt the mythical angle happens. Maybe Lynx, but that sounds an awful lot like Linux. We'll see.

ascii42

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2011
Well, Puma, Panther, and Mountain Lion already refer to the same animal. So they could still use Catamount and Cougar.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I've long said that when/if they decide to move on to a new naming convention that ocean animals are probably their best bet from a marketing standpoint. There is an abundance of names that will sound very soft, nature-esque, eco-friendly, and organic - things that Apple cares about as part of their brand.

Dolphin, Orca, Sea Lion, Ray...

<insert marketing slogans with puns about pods here>

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
There are no more 'big cats' names to use except maybe mountain cat (which does not sound interesting at all), and clouded leopard, which I'm 100% sure they won't use due to reasons explained earlier in this post.

One more thing... when Apple is finally done with OS X, and wants to move on to OS XI, what naming scheme do you think they'll adopt? perhaps canines? birds? sharks? or even dropping the whole animal theme, and go with stars, galaxies and maybe natural phenomena. OS XI Volcano, anyone?

Let me hear your thoughts!

Some big cats are still left.... However, they are found on the internet:

Maru
NyanCat
LolCat

JManJapan

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2012
Cougar = Puma = Panther = Mountain Lion

Although since the previous use of Puma AND Panther didn't stop Apple from using Mountain Lion, so perhaps Cougar is still valid and for 10.9?

From Wikipedia: "The cougar (Puma concolor), also known as puma, mountain lion, mountain cat, catamount or panther."

Also from Wikipedia: "Extant felids belong to one of two subfamilies: Pantherinae (which includes the tiger, the lion, the jaguar, and the leopard), and Felinae (which includes the cougar, the cheetah, the lynxes, the ocelot, and the domestic cat)."

With this in mind, personally I think only Lynx and Ocelot are the only available cat families available for 10.9, but they seem a bit wimpy for the las X release... They should have saved Lion or Tiger for the last release imo...

Smilodon (Saber-toothed cat) maybe? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.