Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
except the giant power plug is about the same as a thunderbolt cable.

All right, then. I stand corrected. Indeed I was thinking about the usual fattie power cord.

Really, my only complaint was a marketing one. Spinning an unconnected one looks (and probably is) very cool. With cables, not so much.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
All right, then. I stand corrected. Indeed I was thinking about the usual fattie power cord.

Really, my only complaint was a marketing one. Spinning an unconnected one looks (and probably is) very cool. With cables, not so much.

i think the idea is that it can be used as a cord caddy for those gigs where the monitor is really far away?

nmp58.jpg

;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
All will be fine. Once developers take advantage of the two powerful and precise GPU, this thing will scream.

That's changing the system from "future-proofed" to "future-dependent".

And it ignores the fact that not all softwares can use GPU acceleration. If many apps can't effectively handle a handful of CPU threads - do you expect them to handle thousands of GPU threads? Some sort of magic would be needed, no?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Because they have does what Apple always do these days.

Compromised the device for the sake of it's looks.

that's where our communication breakdown is happening..

"Compromised the device for the sake of it's looks"

..is not a fact.

i understand you and others like the mp1 form factor.. it's proven, it's a workhorse, it's a staple.. i get it.. i've owned a macpro for the lifespan of its line and it's the sweetest computer i've ever owned.
you have to understand that i understand what you're saying and i'm not telling you that you're wrong (or whatever)

equally, it would be helpful if when you see someone say "they've refined it and made it better" (or whatever) ,that they really mean it as well..

i mean i'm absolutely serious when i say this- "the new mac is better than the old one, for me, in virtually every way" ..that's not fanboy talk.. unless i'm a fanboi of the designers because then yeah, i have a lot of respect for what they've done here..

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
If only Apple focused on the solution instead of forcing users to work around the problem they created. Granted it's not a show-stopper, but Apple chose appearance over practical functionality once again. I believe aesthetics and functionality can coexist.

The previous Mac Pro also has ports on the front.
Limited to 2 USB2, 2 FW800 and 1 headphone jack (analogue audio out). For the other 3 USB ports, 2 FW800 ports, analogue/digital audio in & out ports, 2 NICs, etc. you need to be at the back. Now you have to move a 20kg weighing piece of aluminium with sharp edges, yay, marvellous. You want to plug something in on the new one...well simply twist it, with 1 hand and there you go (that first 15 seconds of the video shows it all).

So as far as I'm concerned Apple did focus on the solution and provided something that is not only elegant but also very useful and functional. Plugging cables in and out is now far easier than with that monstrous old heavy weight.

But let's be honest, it's just a very nice addition, a neat little detail. Nothing more. That computing power and ability to drive 4k displays is something that we should be talking about (am hoping my good old heavy weight Mac Pro from 2010 will be able to drive a 24" Dell 4k display but I'm not counting on it though). Those are the interesting parts, not where the cables go. We've got cable management for that!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It takes time to write software to take advantage of anything, and looking at this it seems that people expect to wave a magic wand hey "hey presto" we have software to to take advantage of the its dual-GPU.

Patience, pays off.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
It takes time to write software to take advantage of anything, and looking at this it seems that people expect to wave a magic wand hey "hey presto" we have software to to take advantage of the its dual-GPU.

Patience, pays off.

Or everyone else may suddenly produce Firewire products.
That never worked either.

I don't understand why some people thinking software companies are going to spend a mass of time and money re coding software packages that run great at the moment so that they can run even better on one product made by one company that is priced at a point that sales will never be THAT great.

Best that could happen is Apple pays them to modify their products.
Apple could afford it and it would be the best way t make sure your product (mac pro) looks amazing

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
That never worked either.

I don't understand why some people thinking software companies are going to spend a mass of time and money re coding software packages that run great at the moment so that they can run even better on one product made by one company that is priced at a point that sales will never be THAT great.

you think the two gpus is bad.. how about an entirely different cpu?.. and yeah, the software companies put in the effort afterwards.

intel.jpg

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Now that would be interesting to see.

Many folks are dissing on the Pro for being the same as an iMac on basic computer stuff but that kind of makes send. The Pro was designed to give major power to pro apps. It doesn't need to be crazy fast on getting email etc. If folks are just doing that they generally don't get a Pro.

That is what I would like to see for a comparison, each one running the same software, Premiere, Avid or something made for both platforms. The Pro isn't intended for the email, web browsing, Facebook, Twitter crowd, but I can see how that market segment would be primarily attracted to it by it's shape. I honestly wonder if these same components were placed in a conventional tower if there would be as much interest in the product.

rsocal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2008
Southern Ca
Mac Pro for my business

I always get a kick out of some of the armchair experts that criticize a product prior to owning or using it. It's a new idea (the round tuning tower) that IMO seems very accessible and very cool!

My Desktop at my business sits on my desk and it has a couple ports on front, but most of the important ones are on the back, most computers are.:confused:
I look forward to being able to turn the computer like a Lazy Susan, getting all I need sitting down at my desk.:cool:

The majority of reviews I have read, have been very positive! I'm sure it's going to be a the start of some new desktop designs. However, IMO the future of desktop computers for most will get limited use. Only the film industries ETC. will have a need for such powerful computers. But I'll still get one, I love quality products, especially Apple products!

It seems to me that the Laptop has replaced the majority of Desktops for the average person. A good portion of business is now being done with a web browser and "the cloud".

My own personal business experience, as a partial owner of a medium size family business, are now doing communications & billing ETC with web servers and a browser. We still use Desktops and Laptops but are slowly replacing them with iPads and Laptops. I still feel there will be a need for the desktops in business. In the near future I will replace existing computers with Mac Pro's!:apple::cool::apple

MachineShedFred

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
And the cables already plugged in do what? When you spin it? You'll have to horse around several of them, including a power cord.

So let's see now . . . right hand on the cylinder, left hand gathering together all the cables so they don't pull out (because none of them have any form of positive locking) . . . lucky that they're all the same length, otherwise the shortest one would stop the spin . . . .

I've wondering about this since the intro, way back when. I've yet to see anybody explain how to handle the snakes back there.

Am I missing something?

Yeah, it might be just as difficult as when you have to pull a rack mount server out on it's sliders - I mean, it's got all those cables plugged in on the back too, and every single time a server is pulled out of a rack in a datacenter, all the cables just fly out!

Yes, that's sarcasm.

Cable management has been a thing for quite some time in the pro space. Anyone that bothers to think about it for a few minutes can solve this problem quite easily.

lesferdinand

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2013

The entire computer industry will have to deal with the slowing down of CPU speed increases. The GCGPU model looks to be one of the most economical solutions to this challenge. If Apple is right, it is only a matter of time before the rest of the high end desktop PC market will move in this direction.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

If you are considering every software out there, sure. It is illogical. But their machine was designed for a very specific group of folks running very particular software and within that group, sales of this hardware could be awesome. And thus the software folks will be advised to make their software as compatible as possible. It is possible to have software that is primed for several hardware schemes after all. So why wouldn't you do this rather than cut out a group, and risk they jump to something else from another software company

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
That's changing the system from "future-proofed" to "future-dependent".

Yeah, but it isn't like Apple hasn't used what is or isn't in their hardward/software to try to shape what they think the priorities of the market should be. (Including firewire, thunderbolt, excluding Flash, excluding Blu-ray)

This feels like another one of those.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
If you are considering every software out there, sure. It is illogical. But their machine was designed for a very specific group of folks running very particular software and within that group, sales of this hardware could be awesome. And thus the software folks will be advised to make their software as compatible as possible. It is possible to have software that is primed for several hardware schemes after all. So why wouldn't you do this rather than cut out a group, and risk they jump to something else from another software company

I guess it depends how many people run PC's with Nvidea and Cuda and such time and how can change and upgrade their hardware at any time.
And how those number compare with those who have a MacPro

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
right.. that's why i said we see things differently..
i think it's good to put strong emphasis on aesthetics when designing something.. you- not so much.
no biggie

just curious though? why can't you have both? was is completely impossible for them to include 2 USB ports, and maybe a headphone port? or one of the tunderbolt ports in any place else besides the back? did they try? was there any thought to it or did they just assume that the only way to do it was all in one spot?

I would LOVE to see some form of designs testing they went trhough. it's curious to see how they came up that this was the best design and what other prototypes looked like.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
just curious though? why can't you have both? was is completely impossible for them to include 2 USB ports, and maybe a headphone port? or one of the tunderbolt ports in any place else besides the back? did they try? was there any thought to it or did they just assume that the only way to do it was all in one spot?

lol.. can't argue with that.
:rolleyes:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
lol.. can't argue with that.
:rolleyes:
i'm guessing from the sarcastic smiley there you stopped reading. you know, there was one short paragraph, i think 2 sentences that summed up the post.

I'm actually legitimately curious how this design came to be, and the testing that Apple did to come up with it, and the iterations to get to it and how they came up with this as the best form/function device.

Not a judgmental statement. I'm legitimately, honestly, and enthousastically curious about the design process.

I'm not a detractor fo the case, or the cost here. I love Small form factor PC's and think they're incredibly "sexy". I love the concept of making the computer mostly invisible to the user, and the more and more we move away from that old beige box the better.

are there trade offs? Yes. Are we getting closer and closer to a time where the trade offs are minimal enough that the comprimises are worth while? if no, where is that line, if yes, how spot on is apple?

there's no judgement here. I'm really, honestly curious! i have my problems with the new mac pro... but having all the ports on the back isn't some "OMG EVIL APPLE" thing for me. is it the best solution? IMHO, no, but thats again, subjective and will be greatly varied for everyone. I want one of these, unfortunately I will not get one because of a few issues that i've repeated enough.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
i'm guessing from the sarcastic smiley there you stopped reading. you know, there was one short paragraph, i think 2 sentences that summed up the post.

I'm actually legitimately curious how this design came to be, and the testing that Apple did to come up with it, and the iterations to get to it and how they came up with this as the best form/function device.

Not a judgmental statement. I'm legitimately, honestly, and enthousastically curious about the design process.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1677182/

i think maybe 3 people on the whole forum believe him (myself included).. but there you have it.

I'm not a detractor fo the case, or the cost here. I love Small form factor PC's and think they're incredibly "sexy". I love the concept of making the computer mostly invisible to the user, and the more and more we move away from that old beige box the better.

are there trade offs? Yes. Are we getting closer and closer to a time where the trade offs are minimal enough that the comprimises are worth while? if no, where is that line, if yes, how spot on is apple?

there's no judgement here. I'm really, honestly curious! i have my problems with the new mac pro... but having all the ports on the back isn't some "OMG EVIL APPLE" thing for me. is it the best solution? IMHO, no, but thats again, subjective and will be greatly varied for everyone. I want one of these, unfortunately I will not get one because of a few issues that i've repeated enough.

you're telling / alluding to the way you would of designed it.. thing is, you didn't so if you're trying to understand (or whatever) then that's what you have to do.. you can't figure it out if you go into it thinking you have everything figured out.. they obviously didn't put ports where you think they should have and they're obviously not idiots.. some of these apple designers belong to an elite pool of ,say, top 500 designers in the world..
i don't know.
i don't really feel like arguing about it right now. maybe later

moderately

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Late to the party

I am smiling at the intense criticism of the 'rear' ports.

I have a MacBook Pro, you know, with all the connectors on the side. Whenever my MacBook is living on my desk it has 2 usb cables plugged into it even if there is nothing plugged into them. If I had a MacPro it would be the same. If I am too lazy to unplug a cable from the side, I would be having a couple cables snaking around from the back of my Pro ready to go.

Does anybody else rehear the clamor that the touch screen keyboard of the original iPhone would never fly when reading these rants on Apple's latest whatever? I am a touch typist! You can't type by touch on a screen! Fail!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.