Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I like the idea of the air but I wouldn't touch one until they get a modern CPU in there. Core 2 Duo doesn't cut it in 2011.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I like the idea of the air but I wouldn't touch one until they get a modern CPU in there. Core 2 Duo doesn't cut it in 2011.

It does for those of us who want an extremely light and small laptop running OS X but don't care a fig for specs. I would contend that there are many such people.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Paging Captain Obvious!

Laptops will soon go the way of desktops for most people unless they depend on a computer directly for their living such as serious editors or designers.
I would lay money the current 13" MBP will be the last 13" MBP manufactured. The 13" MBA fills that need for 99% of anyone needing a 13" machine.

OMG it's another "Something is popular so therefore Other Stuff is doomed" post.

Maybe it's more like this; the Air is a fabulous, very well made light duty laptop that casual laptop users should enjoy. One doesn't have to be among the crowd of "serious editors or designers" to reach the MBA's obvious limitations. More elaborate laptops will not be leaving us any more than desktops are going away. The Air is just another well focused, great Apple product.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Cool, but it's not for me. I need optical storage, better CPU and GPU, more ports. All the same reasons why I never bothered with a netbook :p.

Ca$hflow

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2010
London, ON
Yep seeing these all over campus now, I'm hoping Apple takes some design cues from the Air and adds them to the MBPs, aka no DVD drive and instead fit a dedicated graphics card in the 13in model and remove the glass screen.

If they do this with a matte display BTO option.... Then I'm in totally. :cool:

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
They are nice, I can see why people like them. I would buy one but prefer a larger screen.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Only for specific purposes. I prefer 2x24" or 27" monitor for real work.

Well, you can have it both ways with the MBA... you can plug a 27-incher in when you need it.

Also, a lot of real work can get done on a 13" or 11" screen. E.g., my wife runs her law firm with her MBA. Word, Excel, email, etc. work fine on a 13" screen and run fast on a MBA.

(Apparently the SSD makes a huge difference because they run better on her MBA than on my 2009 iMac -- the minute I can swing it, I'm doing a little surgery on my iMac to add an SSD).

apeman88

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2004
Bummer...

The design rocks, but the C2D is a non-starter. My nearly 4 year old faster CPU C2D machine chugs on my iTunes collection, flash, any hi-def. video.

I really have no use for it at this point. I really find it amazing that a 2.16 C2D is OK for they type f computing that I see around me...iTune, videos, huge DPI photos in iPhoto, etc. It literally took hours to import my iTunes library while iTunes was analyzing for volume...

That said, I will be the first to buy a Sandy Bridge MBA...basically my dream machine...

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Never considered one until I used my friend's 13" he just got, but once a real processor is adopted, I think I'm gonna get one. Love the speed the SSD brings, just not once you need to do anything remotely processor intensive. If they put like an i3 or i5 Sandy Bridge in I'm all over that (preferably i5 if the form factor could accommodate it, idk the power usage/heat factor off the top of my head).

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
The design rocks, but the C2D is a non-starter. My nearly 4 year old faster CPU C2D machine chugs on my iTunes collection, flash, any hi-def. video.

I really have no use for it at this point. I really find it amazing that a 2.16 C2D is OK for they type f computing that I see around me...iTune, videos, huge DPI photos in iPhoto, etc. It literally took hours to import my iTunes library while iTunes was analyzing for volume...

That said, I will be the first to buy a Sandy Bridge MBA...basically my dream machine...

Didn't see your post or I simply would've said +1 lol.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Hit it on the head there sir!

I was giving serious consideration to getting a pimped up 15 inch MBP as a full on replacement for my 4 year old iMac and be mac portable. But thinking about it do I really need that level of power and lug around that much weight when I can buy the cheaper pimped out 11 inch MBA to use in conjunction with my existing iMac.

I'm REALLY taken by the form factor of the 11 inch. Instant on and just sling it in my backpack and go. Want to wait to see if sandy bridge turns up soon in one.

I was in a similar boat, except I had a mac pro, and decided to buy the macbook air 11. After losing some files trying to sync between the two computers, I returned the 11, sold hte mac pro, and couldn't be happier. BTW, I have iPAD for flights, etc. Plus I kind of need the extra power.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
That doesn't mean it will be unusable.

This is not always true, this is what Snow Leapord was about. Performance, footprint, and constant overhead, are now requirements for all operating systems as performance upgrades are lesser and more expensive to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.