Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
My iMac G5 is really starting to show its age. I can't decide if I want a 27" iMac or a 13" MacbookAir. I don't really need an optical drive. I use it to import CD's to iTunes. I can always do that on anther Mac and transfer the files later.

There are ALOT more variables in deciding between an iMac 27 inch and a 13 inch MBA apart from CD-Rom drive

one big one is... Do you need mobility or are you usually stationed?

tetravus

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
I am shocked to see how popular these are becoming. Personally if I got one it would only be an addition to my computers not a replacement for my MBP. Like having the optical drive at my leisure and the better computing power. But then again I do working the IT field. I could easily see how they meet the average consumers needs. None the less I want one.

Lot's of people don't really need an MBP. People who actually need more power than a Core2Duo and discrete graphics are in a very tiny minority when just about the only uses everyone and their grandma have are content consumption such as facebook, mini games, or maybe the occasional email(if you want to count that as creation).

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I've never understood the argument against the Air because of it's lack of DVD drive. I have no idea when the last time was I used mine, and it takes up a massive amount of space and weight on my MacBook.

I'm sure some people have uses of a DVD drive and for them its understandable, but I feel most people, myself included fall into the "I can't remember the last time I've used my CD/DVD drive ..." category. Which is why I replaced mine entirely with a SSD drive, which I boot from. I would recommend it to anybody with the available funds.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Definitely an Apple to keep an eye on

Wasn't ready to take the MBA plunge just yet, but I have a feeling I will in the future, resolution and price were my reasons (if the 4GB Ram was standard that would have been a selling point too).

All this said, Glad Apple is selling millions of the MBA computers, to go with their iOS devices.

I'm one of those people who still do use the cd/dvd drive in my computer to burn content from. Once Apple completely does away with the optical drive, I'll adapt but until such time I'll wait.

And keep playing with the Airs in the stores. :)

Gatesbasher

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
I'm saving up for an 11.6" MBA. I really think it can handle everything I need a laptop for. I want to max out the memory and the SSD, though, so it's going to be a little while. I keep hoping the price of flash memory will come down like every other new technology in the history of electronics has, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen in the foreseeable future. (Problems with the technology? Economic manipulation? Who Knows?) Sure would like 256 GB instead of 128!

The people who won't buy it because they think the Core2Duo is horse-and-buggy technology and the latest processor is the only usable one frankly amuse me. Very few tasks are really hobbled by the processor, and those that are are being performed on desktops. You're really falling for Intel marketing hype. We really have Intel to thank for the megahertz myth—they somehow managed to get everyone to quote clock rate as the one and only figure of merit, even as their architecture failed to take advantage of their faster speeds.

I have to say, I guess I'm in a minority on the new MBA's styling—I really don't like it. I hope they don't adopt this extruded-in-a-continuous-slab-and-cut-off-to-length-with-the-raw-ends-exposed look across the board.

keypox

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2008
I like the mba, but they are so god awful slow. Maybe im just used to fast computers but no way i could use current gen of mba. Maybe next time but 6 year old tech is a bit to old for me.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
When my old MacBook died, I was going to replace it with the 11" MBA, but after realizing how limited the HD was and how much it would cost me to get decent storage capacity for my pictures and music I decided to get a 13" MBP.

Yes, I've used the "superdrive" just once since I bought this computer, but I have a healthy amount of storage capacity, an SD slot and heck, I can even play some TF2, L4D 2 and StarCraft 2 (on mid settings) on my free time, for the same price of a 11" MBA with a 128 GB SSD.

I'm in no way a power user, but I like to take my stuff with me at all times. With my games, music, photos and a couple of other programs I have installed I would definitely be short of space with a stock MBA.

Until a ~250 GB SSD from Apple gets a fair price, or the 128 GB becomes the standard drive at just $999, I don't plan on buying a MBA. I like it, a lot, but the base model needs to improve its specs a little bit.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
If I were getting an ultraportable I'd get the 11.6" MBA without a doubt :D But a 13" MBP is better for me since I don't need ultra-portability, but like a light, reasonably compact laptop.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
re: ThunderBolt:

It means in the near future I'd be able get high speed disk transfers via a large external drive (or disk array) while still having a small, portable 13" MBA.

Or another reason for TB is for high speed multi-media IO. DJs, musicians, entertainment presenters, etc would be all over this. I'm assuming that's what the poster who first brought up RB was alluding to...being on stage and in the dark and all.

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I like the mba, but they are so god awful slow. Maybe im just used to fast computers but no way i could use current gen of mba. Maybe next time but 6 year old tech is a bit to old for me.
There are quite a few know-all heads on here who will disagree with you and tell you you are in the minority and call you a spec freak.

The SSD and form factor is the selling point of the current MBA. For most people's uses it's ok, or even "faster than their other macs" as they claim, people selling their iMacs and going MBA only and what not.

I understand it's "cool" and "wow" and turns heads (who doesn't want to show off with a cool gadget after all) and it gets the basic job done. My claim is that the 11" MBA is not significantly faster in loading applications than my iMac and awful slow in processor intensive tasks. The system startup showdown is basically useless demonstration - how the system performs afterwards is more important. What's important also is that it works for a large number of people.

The rest of us who form "the minority" and need greater power in that small package should drink a glass of hot water. We are not catered for. Yet.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Glad to see this generation wasn't a flop.

I'd buy an 11"er if it had a backlit keyboard and the price was around $800. Personally, just saying. And no, I don't want an iPad.

caspian

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
I'll buy that for a dollar! :D

I will buy the MBA when it gets a backlit keyboard. I really like the small, light form but need to be able to see the keys in a dark room (or stage). The sales guy at the Apple store just told me to "crank the screen brightness and tilt the display down to light the keys". :D Yeah, uh no, the last thing I need in the dark is a brighter screen.

Also, it would be nice to get Thunderbolt I/O and (really dreaming now) higher capacity/cost effective SSD storage.

I think when you get a decent amount of SSD capacity without a huge price jack MBA sales will jump even more.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
I agree with many of your points, except for the mindless drone remark. Yes you are not, but to imply that others who differ with you is uncalled for.

Leo

Leo, point noted.
i didn't mean that everyone who buys apple products is a mindless drone. i just meant Apple is treating many of their customer base this way.

it is just strange when Apple used to be much more of a consumer oriented company and the underdog, now it seems to be more monopolistic than Microsoft during the MS heyday.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
i personally believe the MB Air isn't a mainstream laptop, it is a laptop light. I need a CD/DVD and BD optical drive.

The sales figures suggest it IS a mainstream laptop. Just because you need a DVD drive doesn't mean everyone in the mainstream does.

apple wont sell it to me, wants to shift people to its ecosystem. ie. get rid of optical drives, to force more people to buy content and software from apple owned stores. ie itunes and app store. So the Air is proof of Apple's future vision possibly. not really mine. yes its light, easy to carry. great! but for those of us who dont mind 5-6 pounds, give us optical drives and Blu-Ray!

Non sequitur of the month award. I get loads of non app store mac content and none of it comes on cd or DVD any more. It's all downloaded. If you want optical drives and big storage, the MacBook Pros are over there. Lots of people don't, though.

sorry... i like a NON-CLOSED ecosystem. I am not a mindless drone. i like options.

i am starting to like the idea of windows more.

It's called bootcamp and has been around for ages.

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm tempted to get a MacBook Air to replace my MacBook Pro and then get my self a maxed out iMac for the heavy lifting. The iPad is 'too little' in the way of features, the MacBook Pro is an over kill in performance but the MacBook Air seems to be the nice middle road compromise that'll enable me to do some light work, internet stuff, the occasional bit of website editing (I use TextWrangler) and running Office 2011.

Then again I said that last time but ended up saying this I went for a MacBook Pro lol it will be interesting what the Air will have in the future given the move to Sandy Bridge might lead to a refresh in the future which will include the updated Sandy Bridge successor with a slightly improved integrated GPU.

As for others out there, I know many have gone for it over the MacBook and MacBook Pro - especially those who need portability over speed given the speed sacrifice is minuscule these days with the latest crop of CPU's available.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
Glad to hear it. This is probably how all laptops will be in a few years (i.e. SSD, no internal optical drive, ultra thin/light etc).
I'm just glad I don't have to heft around my crummy Fujitsu Lifebook from work any more - I just use my iPad 2 :)

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
The Airs look really tempting (once Lion comes out, not much point at the moment for me).

However I see comments about it not being great for the 'heavy lifting' jobs. I don't do much processor intensive stuff, but on my '08 MacBook, iPhoto sometimes takes a while and exporting an hours movie from iMovie it can slug quite a bit.

How do the Airs cope with these kind of tasks?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

Nonsense. The key component of the MBA is the SSD. The MBA has coped with everything I've thrown at it. If the C2D was coupled with a mechanical HDD then I'm sure the performance would be very "2007", but it's a great little machine that can deal with practically anything you ask it too.

thedoctor

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2006
Backlit keyboard's a must

I will buy the MBA when it gets a backlit keyboard.

Completely agree .. I bought an MBP 13" unibody when it got upgraded with a backlight and its the best laptop ever ... when I went to test the latest MBA the lack of the backlit keyboard was the only thing stopping me from sidegrading to it (the only 'upgrade' would be the size/weight shrinkage, the other specs would be a downgrade).

As the MBP 13" unibody was introduced without a backlit keyboard then I suspect the MBAs will get them at the next bump or maybe the one after that .. I guess it will depend upon what Apple do with the chipsets and whether there is enough battery spare for the leds :cool:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
:(

My Macbook Air isn't nearly as cool with these new ones out. Makes me sad.

It just proves you were a trendsetter! :)

I'm a charter member of the MacBook Air club, having purchased a Rev A in February 2008. I'm up to an 11" now which, despite its slower CPU, is a much improved device (since everything else is much faster). I'm glad Apple stuck with the product and that it has hit the big time. That means it will be here to stay.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

The NVIDIA 320m isn't "6 year old tech." Nor are the Toshiba SSD, HD screen, glass trackpad, or OS X 10.6. Get past the mindset that the CPU defines the computer and you'll see that the MacBook Air is a modern device. That said, I would like to see Thunderbolt in the next revision, and undoubtedly it will get Sandy Bridge sometime this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.