Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
I've never understood the argument against the Air because of it's lack of DVD drive. I have no idea when the last time was I used mine, and it takes up a massive amount of space and weight on my MacBook.

bit density

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2004
Seattle
Not 100% yet...

But very close, and closer than it has ever been.

I have always wanted a small laptop. I need a keyboard, and pixel level accuracy. This leaves OUT the Ipad.

However, the MBA is not perfect. The software for sleep is not 100% perfect. I have received updates from both Apple and various software manufacturers that are on my machine, that I am sure that are directly related to crash reports that I have sent in.

My best friend the genius says he hasn't heard of my problems, but they happen all the time. (I am a fan of just shutting the lid).

I have an ultimate 11 inch machine. 4 gigs, 1.6 processor. The 4 gigs is perfect, but I would like the processor to be a little bit faster. Some apps that I run, are just a "bit" laggy. I would also like 256 gig SSD. I actually think I need about 200 gig. I am definitely making decisions to cut down on app load because of disk space, not too mention ANY real amounts of media. I would also like a bit more physical screen size. It looks like more should be available. I don't need back-lit keys, but I wouldn't care if they added it.

It's almost perfect.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
I've never understood the argument against the Air because of it's lack of DVD drive. I have no idea when the last time was I used mine, and it takes up a massive amount of space and weight on my MacBook.

My falling-to-pieces '06 MacBook now has a DVD of "A Bridge Too Far" stuck in its drive. I'm going to try to position this as a feature if I ever sell it, and target WWII movie buffs.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
The MBA is the perfect machine. Able to drive huge monitors for "real work" without hiccup, a fast enough processor for most every task, and light and portable.

The high-res screen alone paired with the 320m GPU makes it the best choice Apple could make. Sandy Bridge with an Intel 3000HD would have made for a much poorer machine.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It does make me laugh how people went on and on about how the 12" powerbook was the ultimate laptop and coupling it with a 20" display or larger was the ideal way to work... and then the 11MBA comes along and blows the 12" PB away in the specs and portability department, yet people still aren't happy.

I loved my 12" PB and I really feel that this 11MBA is the true replacement. It's much lighter, much thinner and is so much more powerful (plays youtube perfectly compared to the G4). There's also the much better battery, newer software and much longer sleep. It's win-win.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

The AIRs are possibly the most improved machine Apple has e we come out with. Apple went from selling junk to selling a benchmark ultra portable machine.

Sadly I'm not in the market, mostly because I need far more secondary storage. That is certain to be addressed as flash shrinks. However I was actually disappointed that the recent MBP updates didn't take advantage of some of the ideas expressed in the AIR. It looks like Apples Mac Book Pro design team is a little stale.

heyisa

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2006
Kansas
still waiting

I'm going to skip the macbook air, until apple creates a hybrid macbook air/ ipad. It's obvious with Lion that they are starting to make a mac operating system that can be both used regular OS X style, but also switch to touch screen style. I sure hope they can pull it off and make a true hybrid OS, and not two nerfed operating systems strangely conjoined. It will be one of the hardest programming tasks apple has ever faced. Once they have a macbook air where you can rip the screen off and use it like an ipad, then reattach the keyboard (much like the new ipad 2 smart cover) and then use it like a laptop, they'll own the entire mobile computing industry.

Marx55

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2005
What is needed is a MacBoook Air with just 400 to 600 g and as small as possible (7-inch) with video out and USB ports. The Mac in your pocket!

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just don't get the obsession with crippled anorexic laptops. The latest 15" MacBook Pro could stand to be force fed a BBQ sandwich or 5, get the ExpressCard slot back on it.

Hell, I'd prefer a MacBook Pro 15" more like a Toughbook.

A USB-only Air makes baby Jesus cry. Maybe if/when it gets thunderbolt.

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I replaced my old reliable gen 1 core duo 15" MacBook Pro with the entry level 11" Air and couldn't be happier. Don't get all caught up in specs, this little guy is super speedy and seems to be optimized for the SSD. After a few days of getting used to the smaller but high rez screen, all is groovy. My only semi wish is for a back lit keyboard. I'm used to not having it now, but I do miss it. All in all a solid, speedy, super lite computer.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
11" MBA... $1000...

You didn't expect this?

I was a buyer within the first week... I absolutely utilize the heck out of it with work & everything else. Only thing I wish they had on it - would be a backlit keyboard. Besides that, I am more than happy with everything - CPU, GPU, 4GB of RAM, and the battery life is great!

I was looking for this years back... next item I am looking for is Apple to start putting dedicated powerful GPU's in the MacBook Pro 13". :cool:

mjteix

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2005
I have an ultimate 11 inch machine. 4 gigs, 1.6 processor. The 4 gigs is perfect, but
1) I would like the processor to be a little bit faster. Some apps that I run, are just a "bit" laggy.
2) I would also like 256 gig SSD. I actually think I need about 200 gig.
3) I would also like a bit more physical screen size.
It's almost perfect.

If by "a bit more physical screen size" you meant a bigger display, you have just described the 13" MBA, 1.86GHz with 256GB SSD and 4GB of RAM, $1699 ($1799 with a 2.13GHz processor).

mikeapple

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2010
The Macbook Air is GREAT product, BUT you really have to observe yourself and think will you every need a bright display, backlit keys, or fast processing(i kno the apps load FAST but exporting iMovie takes a LONG time)... if you can do without those things and NEVER will need them... GO for the MBA... if not.... user your $1000-$1500 elsewhere... thats a lot of money

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
My iMac G5 is really starting to show its age. I can't decide if I want a 27" iMac or a 13" MacbookAir. I don't really need an optical drive. I use it to import CD's to iTunes. I can always do that on anther Mac and transfer the files later.

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
i personally believe the MB Air isn't a mainstream laptop, it is a laptop light. I need a CD/DVD and BD optical drive.

apple wont sell it to me, wants to shift people to its ecosystem. ie. get rid of optical drives, to force more people to buy content and software from apple owned stores. ie itunes and app store. So the Air is proof of Apple's future vision possibly. not really mine. yes its light, easy to carry. great! but for those of us who dont mind 5-6 pounds, give us optical drives and Blu-Ray!

sorry... i like a NON-CLOSED ecosystem. I am not a mindless drone. i like options.

i am starting to like the idea of windows more.

I agree with many of your points, except for the mindless drone remark. Yes you are not, but to imply that others who differ with you is uncalled for.

Leo

LeoCastillo

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The design rocks, but the C2D is a non-starter. My nearly 4 year old faster CPU C2D machine chugs on my iTunes collection, flash, any hi-def. video.

I really have no use for it at this point. I really find it amazing that a 2.16 C2D is OK for they type f computing that I see around me...iTune, videos, huge DPI photos in iPhoto, etc. It literally took hours to import my iTunes library while iTunes was analyzing for volume...

That said, I will be the first to buy a Sandy Bridge MBA...basically my dream machine...

You'll be surprised on how the SSD makes a huge difference. In some ways the MBA seems faster than my current 2011 MBP quad core 15". I'm very tempted to get an SSD to make my MBP fly, except that I need high storage disks (and high storage SSD costs 2 arms, 2 legs, and a head).

Leo

fswmacguy

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2009
I bought my 13-inch MBA back in the winter and it's the best notebook I have ever used.

I say it's a notebook because it doesn't feel like a netbook. It's got a big trackpad, a full-size keyboard, a gorgeous high-DPI display, it's super thin. And it runs Logic Express smooth as silk. A netbook can't do those things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.