Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amrk47

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2007
HD-DVD is losing the format war, so i doubt apple will use HD DVD
they might however work out a deal with sony to have BlueRay
many other manufacturers have done so

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Bigger Hard Drive, better graphics, faster Intel Chip, cooler running, MacBook style keyboard etc. but number one for me would be to replace the current latch with the MacBook magnetic enclosure.
Vanilla

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
ummmmm definately no blue-ray. thats a sony product thus guranteeing you wont see it on a mac anytime soon. but hd-dvd is definately a possibility. i would like to see a tablet personally or touch screen technology. i hope it comes out by january cuzzzz i am buying my computer for college and i am buying it in january-march.

and i am assuming the next os is gonna be Lion what do you think the nnew os will be called?

well i hope i see bluray on mac.And hd is microsoft.
hmm lion is a bad name(lionking lol:p)..think about it the leopard is the fastest animal on the ground..not the lion..that would be backward..
Then they should have a even faster animal. Peregrine Falcons(the current(no aliens?:D worlds fastest animal in the air and world)
Pfalcon.jpeg

(Peregrine falcon)like os falcon..he,he

JWest

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
ummmmm definately no blue-ray. thats a sony product thus guranteeing you wont see it on a mac anytime soon. but hd-dvd is definately a possibility. i would like to see a tablet personally or touch screen technology. i hope it comes out by january cuzzzz i am buying my computer for college and i am buying it in january-march.

and i am assuming the next os is gonna be Lion what do you think the nnew os will be called?

In case you didn't know, Apple is one of the companies that's backing Blu-ray. I'd not be surprised to see a blu-ray Apple computer in the near future. And they'd never go HD-DVD.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Everyone has talked about hardware boost and such. Does anyone see upgrades to the screens? I for one would like to see the 15.4 inch set standard (or at least given the option) for a 1680x1050 screen.

YES PLEASE!

LED backlit 1680 x 1050
2.6 Ghz
4 GB Ram
Blu-Ray drive
15"
Design as it is right now.

That's the MBP of my dreams in January - the more of those boxes they can tick, the better, but any Penryn based machine would do me.

Doug

WorldIRC

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2005
If the driver support is there now, theres nothing stopping anyone from spending $1000 on the Blu-Ray burners out now and installing them into the MBP...it's not very hard to do...just expensive.

RoDe

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2006
I'm just seriously hoping for a complete redesign of the MBP's the Alu enclosure is still cool looking.
But I'm really hoping for a lighter and stronger carbon composite enclosure.

The aluminium enclosure has the tendency to bend I really hate that. Composites don't have this tendency. Or much less.

I know Apple will never make this, especially with the laptops still as hot as the are. I'm quite sure the heat wouldn't be good for the resin used in the composite.

So I just hope they make a stronger, yet not any heavier (hope lighter), enclosure.

Specs wise here comes the list:

quad core CPU or at least 2,8Ghz dual core.
1066 mhz FSB
Faster memory 800 Mhz at least.
Bigger HD's (though I must say that the 160GB in my current MBP is not that small), hope for a SSD HD though they are still expensive.
Superdrive with bluray support for both burning and reading.
Full HD screens on both 15" and 17"
Better graphic cards GeForce 8700M GT? or something that trully is better than the current GPU. 512MB would be nice.
HDMI out, but must be able to out put to an 30" display. Not possible with HDMI than not thanx, trusty old DVI is just great.
Would like to see an eSATA port on the new MBP's
Oh yeah lose the mechanical latch system. Even though it's a beautiful system (way better than what the other manufacturers have). It's still something that can break. The magnet system in the MB's is a lot better and simpler (KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid). And it can't break.

Keep glossy an option.

cleverbloke

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2007
UK
If the driver support is there now, theres nothing stopping anyone from spending $1000 on the Blu-Ray burners out now and installing them into the MBP...it's not very hard to do...just expensive.

Dell just dropped the price of its blu ray optional drive in the xps 1730 from £437 to £270 so i am sure the price is no longer around the $1000 mark i think its around $500 strangely it wont let let you add blu ray optional in usa dell site

But the price will come down and might even be best if we wait till its an external drive cause its sure to be much cheaper in a years time and we can add it in at our won lesiure to suit our budget

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Go read intel's roadmap before you start posting random specs about quad core and stuff.

Also, that black edge around the display is ugly as ****.

What to expect in January Macbook Pros?

A slight speed bump with the new 45nm Penryn chips, possibly higher stock hard drives, and LED backlighting on the 17'' model.

You also might see a 1680x1050 option for the 15''.

No WiMAX. WiMAX is part of the Intel Montevina platform coming Q2 2008. So you'll see that in a summer MBP update probably.

FSB, memory controller, etc will all stay the same because it's just a processor refresh, not a platform one. That won't come until Montevina.

No 8800M GT because it uses almost twice as much power as the 8600M GT.

No Quad-core for a while.

No Blu-ray/HD-DVD unless the MP gets it, but it will still take some time to get the slim profile slot loading drives for an MBP. You'd be better off with an external anyways. BTW, to the guy who said Apple is backing Blu-ray, they are also backing HD-DVD (and actually DVDSP 4 supports HD-DVD but not blu-ray).

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea

'Fraid not, Apple have said they'll be backing Blu-Ray for a long time. Blu-Ray has the larger capacity disks of the two major blue laser formats and I think, although I'm not entirely sure, that BR has some extra Java technologies or something along those lines anyway.

Blu-Ray Mac Pro please! :D

MikeZMacGeek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
Mansfield, CT

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
ABOUT BLU-RAY:

Apple is supporting both Blu-ray and HD-DVD, (and their pro customers need support for both) so you probably won't see them until there's a decent combo drive that does both formats.

OdduWon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
CaliVerse
'Fraid not, Apple have said they'll be backing Blu-Ray for a long time. Blu-Ray has the larger capacity disks of the two major blue laser formats and I think, although I'm not entirely sure, that BR has some extra Java technologies or something along those lines anyway.

Blu-Ray Mac Pro please! :D

Also, Apple may have interest in distribution through the PS3. The ps3 may become cheaper before BR players do. With Holiday shopping approaching BR players should drop in price, but not as cheap as HDDVD. Apple will back sony because they have the online content framework in developement through the ps3, and will likley bring this experience to the BR Players that become avaiable. This could be sony's attempt to use connectivity as a feature sell BRP's, similar to the iPhones.;) Could :apple:Tv become a BRP? OR why not a MAC MiNi? Apple is in your livingroom.

M!K

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
Canada
i love your ideas. it'd be very great to have these configurations on the MBP. Also the iMac look you gave it is so beautiful!

However, i'd be really frustrated because i bought mine last month!!

My next Mac is plan to be the 24'' iMac. However if Apple plans to release a Tablet Mac... i wanna keep my money for that!!!

marclapierre13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2005
YES PLEASE!

LED backlit 1680 x 1050
2.6 Ghz
4 GB Ram
Blu-Ray drive
15"
Design as it is right now.

That's the MBP of my dreams in January - the more of those boxes they can tick, the better, but any Penryn based machine would do me.

Doug

Thats the MBP of your dreams...not setting the bar very high :p

I want to see:

2.8GHZ
4GB DDR3 ram
Blu-Ray
15.4" LED 1680 x 1050
180 gb 7200rpm HD

Thats what Id like to see, though I could dream up more, I dont want to be unrealistic.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
Mobile quad cores are not coming until Q3/4 2008 so everyone please stop asking for them in January. Just look at the intel road map for this.

January: Penryns with Santa Rosa Refresh intel chipset

While everyone is excited about quad cores, you should take that with a grain of salt because in 2009 the chipset will support 8 cores and intel has stated that their goal is to have computers running 64 cores in the near (whatever that means - 5 years?) future. So, quad cores are really nothing to write home about in the grand scheme of where computers are heading.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Mobile quad cores are not coming until Q3/4 2008 so everyone please stop asking for them in January. Just look at the intel road map for this.

January: Penryns with Santa Rosa Refresh intel chipset

While everyone is excited about quad cores, you should take that with a grain of salt because in 2009 the chipset will support 8 cores and intel has stated that their goal is to have computers running 64 cores in the near (whatever that means - 5 years?) future. So, quad cores are really nothing to write home about in the grand scheme of where computers are heading.

As a former AMD microprocessor engineer, IMHO, 64 cores is silly. When you go from 1 to 2 cores, you don't double performance. The gain from going to 4 cores is proportionally less. Going to 8 is even less of a relative gain. By the time you go to 64, you are hardly getting any additional gain in exchange for lots of added die area, power, and complexity, and in the process you are slowing down each individual core.

Part of the reason is that cores need to communicate with each other, and with memory and caches, and as you increase the number of cores, you not only increase the amount of required communication, but you make the communication slower.

Software/compiler improvements will help somewhat, but, in the end, there is little to be gained past 8 cores for most software.

I believe the future will belong to the microprocessor design that uses something like 4-8 general purpose cores, plus additional specialized cores (such as vector processing, dsp, graphics, multi-precision math, CAMs for storing routing tables, etc.). Machines with dozens of general purpose cores will be mostly used for specialized software for the foreseeable future (until OS's and software make huge advances, say around 2020).

Now, when it turns out I am as wrong as the IBM guy who said the world needed maybe one or two computers, or Dvorak in saying that no one wants to use a mouse, feel free to remind me of my prediction :)

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Go read intel's roadmap before you start posting random specs about quad core and stuff.

Also, that black edge around the display is ugly as ****.

What to expect in January Macbook Pros?

A slight speed bump with the new 45nm Penryn chips, possibly higher stock hard drives, and LED backlighting on the 17'' model.

You also might see a 1680x1050 option for the 15''.

No WiMAX. WiMAX is part of the Intel Montevina platform coming Q2 2008. So you'll see that in a summer MBP update probably.

FSB, memory controller, etc will all stay the same because it's just a processor refresh, not a platform one. That won't come until Montevina.

No 8800M GT because it uses almost twice as much power as the 8600M GT.

No Quad-core for a while.

No Blu-ray/HD-DVD unless the MP gets it, but it will still take some time to get the slim profile slot loading drives for an MBP. You'd be better off with an external anyways. BTW, to the guy who said Apple is backing Blu-ray, they are also backing HD-DVD (and actually DVDSP 4 supports HD-DVD but not blu-ray).

which display? edit:the first display get it:)
no i rather prefer bether graphics then 8600 m gt.And it will not suprise if they do_Ore like one said speed up the v-ram ore the 8700(hopefully the 8800:D but the power usage sucks..:(:()
i think mbp get the blueray before mb..lol:D(the "pro" are pro" remember:p)
Yeah apple are in both worlds(hd,blueray) but the fact is hd is a microsoft/toshiba co.apple will chose sony(blueray) instead(if apple is wise)..And blueray disc has current more discspace then hd disc(still waiting for 3 layer)...And external sucks(its a portebole remember)
yup the slim thing current kills the blueray/hd idea..but you could have blueray/hd as an option...
no quad core for a while i agree(not evrything can take advantage of the quadcore and the difference is not the biggest from dual core anyways(shown in tests)...

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
I believe the future will belong to the microprocessor design that uses something like 4-8 general purpose cores, plus additional specialized cores (such as vector processing, dsp, graphics, multi-precision math, CAMs for storing routing tables, etc.). Machines with dozens of general purpose cores will be mostly used for specialized software for the foreseeable future (until OS's and software make huge advances, say around 2020).

I think that's what the idea is but I'm not a processor engineer, just an interested consumer. Also, I'm just the messenger....

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
i think mbp get the blueray before mb..lol:D(the "pro" are pro" remember:p)
Yeah apple are in both worlds(hd,blueray) but the fact is hd is a microsoft/toshiba co.apple will chose sony(blueray) instead(if apple is wise)..And blueray disc has current more discspace then hd disc(still waiting for 3 layer)...And external sucks(its a portebole remember)
yup the slim thing current kills the blueray/hd idea..but you could have blueray/hd as an option...

obviously MBP will get it before MB, but I said MP (Mac Pro). The Mac Pro will get it first.

Apple isnt going to choose one. They're going to offer both options because all of the video pros who use macs need to be able to deliver in whichever format they chose.

And if you get a slim internal combo it's going to be slow as **** when they finally make them.. external will always end up being faster. even look at dvd-r drives now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.