Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
The price points should stay the same - they will certainly not go up! These price points have been consistent since the PB days on the 15", I think....

IF/WHEN there is a case design, I surely hope for the user replaceable hard drive feature akin to the MacBooks.

I would like to see an option for the 1620x1050 hires 15" panel option.

I'm not crazy about that mock-up from the OP with the black around the screen - it looks to HP or Samsung-ish for my tastes. What what else could Apple do to be unique?

It would be cool for Apple to include the 320GB hard drive options for CTO, but if its user replaceable, is there really a point in doing so...

I would also like to see the 1680X1050 option on the 15.4, I just don't know if Apple is going to do it. I also hope they don't do the black around the screen. An aluminum and pure black aluminum macbook pro would be nice. That way people have the option. As for the user replaceable drive, we can only hope. It is all just up in the air right now. I am still trying to decide if I should purchase current gen. or just wait. We will have to see.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Tell your friend he's an idiot. If he read the Intel roadmap, he would clearly see that support for toaster ovens comes in Q3 08, more than one update away for the MBP...unless Apple is switching to AMD!

pft. Apple is getting advance chips like they did with the 8 core Mac Pro

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I would also like to see the 1680X1050 option on the 15.4, I just don't know if Apple is going to do it. I also hope they don't do the black around the screen. An aluminum and pure black aluminum macbook pro would be nice. That way people have the option. As for the user replaceable drive, we can only hope. It is all just up in the air right now. I am still trying to decide if I should purchase current gen. or just wait. We will have to see.

I hear you. I'm about 4 weeks away from having the moola for a MBP to replace my PB. Current get? Wait for Jan? I'll be waiting - it's not too much time for me. And if the new ones don't grab me, I'll nap a refurb of the current and be done.

If they do offer the hi-res 15", I'd be all over that. Not that I need it today, but since I'll probably keep my MBP for 4 years, I'll want the latest and greatest of the moment when I buy.

You know, with the MB going to SR, the MB and MBP are so close in performance (ignoring the GPU of course) and the obvious ports and 2" of screen, it would seem to me that the MBP really needs some new breakaway features very soon.

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
If they do offer the hi-res 15", I'd be all over that. Not that I need it today, but since I'll probably keep my MBP for 4 years, I'll want the latest and greatest of the moment when I buy.

You know, with the MB going to SR, the MB and MBP are so close in performance (ignoring the GPU of course) and the obvious ports and 2" of screen, it would seem to me that the MBP really needs some new breakaway features very soon.

I totally agree with you. I really feel only moving to penryn without some case redesign or other feature would be really foolish. Apple has let the MBP sit (aesthetically wise) for 2 years. It is time they really revamp it. Give it something that makes people go "wow" like they did at the iPhone. We will have to wait and see though until that glasses carryin, turtleneck sportin, jean wearin guy we all love walks onto the stage and says "Today, we do something really big."

Derwood

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2005
Definitely!

You know, despite all the talk about specs and the internals of the macbook pros, I find that thing I actually want most is a new macbook/imac style keyboard. preferably still keeping the backlights.

what do you guys think the chances are of a january [slight] redesign?

...whenver the next case-mod / redesign happens this will definitely be one of the chages that they make. And highly likely, one of the most provocative. Some people will love it, others will detest it. After nearly 18 months of use I would say that the MacBook keyboard is one of the fastest I have ever used and surprisingly comfortable over extended periods.

I'm sniffing about for a second Mac at the moment (partner is going to inherit the MacBook in my sig.), monitoring product cycles and rumors, picking my moment as I'm in no major rush. At the present time, and with the near parity in terms of spec (I'm not concerned about the GFX Card doing mainly audio work), the keyboard is one of the reasons I will not be considering a MacBook Pro.

Soft, squishy weirdness, says I!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Aesthetics actually takes us back 4+ years to the first aluminum 15" Powerbook.

Yep - exactly! And that is my PowerBook! I love it to be sure. But I'd like to see it with a fresh approach soon. OK, worst case, (no pun in tended), I'll upgrade to a MBP and love it too.:D

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Here's what I think...

As far as case design goes, the only thing I might expect to be upgraded is an offering of a black aluminum case due to the success of the blackbook. As far as HD drive options, maybe, but only as BTO.

For processors:
I'd expect the low end MBP to get the 2.3 Ghz or the 2.5 Ghz. The problem with giving it the 2.5 is that the high end MBP will only be 0.1 Ghz faster at 2.6 Ghz (the 2.8 is too expensive to offer stock, if offered, it will be BTO like the current 2.6). So, I hope we get the 2.5 on the lower, but we may get the 2.3, which is still faster than the current offering. If we do get 2.5, as I said, Apple will have to strive to differentiate the offerings a little more. This may mean a beefier hard drive by comparison or 512 vs. 256 of vram.

For graphics:
It's likely it will stay the 8600m GT, but maybe with 256mb and 512mb variants (gosh I hope). The forthcoming 8800m is said to be TDP of 35W, which is just too much for a 15.4" notebook. Unless Nvidia releases a variant that fits in the 25W TDP category, or one of ATI's upcoming 55nm mobile parts fits in that category, you'll see the 8600m hold strong.

Hard drives:
Maybe a modest bump (160 and 200), but I don't expect 7200 as standard. That assumes a need for that kind of performance on every owner's part, plus it adds extra base cost to the MBP. Perhaps we will see the 320GB capacity show up in the 5400rpm version as well.
Edit: And maybe if we're lucky they will let us change our own hard drives without voiding the warranty with an internals redesign.

Memory:
They will stick with the DDR2-667. The FSB of the penryn is 800Mhz, but I think the memory will still stay at its current point. There's no way you're going to see DDR3 any time soon. Just as when DDR2 first came out, it's worthless. For DDR3 to be of any value, FSB's need to reach speeds that DDR2 can't achieve and then DDR3 will make sense. If you go onto Tom's Hardware you can see that they overclocked the FSB up to 1600 Mhz on a new quad-core Penryn test system and it had no benefits over the stock FSB. This is because Intel has moved to techniques that try to be as memory frugal as possible (the 6 MB of cache will help that).

For any other goodies (like WiMax), just look at what the upcoming Intel Platforms support.

I can't wait for the January update to hit, but I just wish it was Nehalem and not Penryn coming (those integrated memory controllers are going to be a huge step for Intel).

4nr-

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
Next gen mbp will probably be released when the next gen gpus and next gen (or updated) cpus have been out on the market for a while. Quad core and geforce 8800 is dreaming, they're too power consuming.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
smart predictions from a guy who actually did research

you sir are the winner. finally somebody actually did research.

btw, as far as ram goes, I belive the Montevina platform will support 800mhz ram. it's coming out in the summer sometime.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Quad core

Next gen mbp will probably be released when the next gen gpus and next gen (or updated) cpus have been out on the market for a while. Quad core and geforce 8800 is dreaming, they're too power consuming.

The bether performance in quad core are hugely exaggerated??if you think about the programs who can take the usage to the fullest..false ore true?
Spit it out...(i have some info but i like to hear it from you:)
(clues anybody?)
i dont think we see the quadcore in the near future mbp for a while(2009)

There exist "bether graphic option" for MBP then the current 8600 gt leaving out 8800(19 november) - GeForce 8700M GT(clocked out 8600++)

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
There exist "bether graphic option" for MBP then the current 8600 gt leaving out 8800(19 november) - GeForce 8700M GT(clocked out 8600++)

Apple's not going to change the graphics card. Here's why.

The 8800M generates almost twice as much heat and uses more power than the 8600M. Too much for the Macbook Pro.

The 8700M is just a higher clocked version of the 8600M. However, Apple's current 8600M is underclocked. So if they wanted to offer a tad bit more graphics power, they'd just clock the 8600M a little bit higher.

The only they might do would be up the amount of graphics ram. 256 on the low end, 512 on the high end.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
Apple's not going to change the graphics card. Here's why.

The 8800M generates almost twice as much heat and uses more power than the 8600M. Too much for the Macbook Pro.

The 8700M is just a higher clocked version of the 8600M. However, Apple's current 8600M is underclocked. So if they wanted to offer a tad bit more graphics power, they'd just clock the 8600M a little bit higher.

yeah i just wroted that it is a clocked out 8600 lol..:)
"Note that the GeForce 8700M GT is simply a higher clocked version of the GeForce 8600M GT, except that it also comes with "dual-ranked" memory architecture"....
edit:i know that its higly unlikely with 8800.that discussion are over(diden't have to tell me that)But the increase in v-ram.overclocking.and the 8700 gt are the best bet yet of a graphic card improvment..

esaias

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
I'd really like to see these features which would make the MBP more PRO

a Thinkpad style battery so you could have larger batteries when needed,guys who need to take thei laptop to the field would really like this
(and you prosumer guys who have their MBP always at home on an altar need to **** right now about aesthetics etc.)

Good quality sounchip, AES/EBU cabable digital in / out up to 192Kkhz
It would awesome if the soundchip was like a MBOX mini or M-Audio so that you could run Pro Tools on a MBP without Digidesign's hardware. This eould make every Pro Tools user want to buy MBP. Sadly this is just a utopistic dream...

A FireWire that can operate S400 and S800 speeds AT THE SAME TIME!

eSata port

More robust & scratch tolerant exterior (and black colour)

...or maybe Apple should build a whole new, a real pro use targetted laptop which would have the funtionality and realiability put first and forget the excessive tech spec geekery.

-Tomi

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Graphics

Like I said, there is a slight possibility we could see something pop up from ATI since their new 55nm cards are coming, but I doubt it. Specs of a Fujitsu laptop have leaked with a mobility hd 2700, but it's a 17" laptop, which means it likely wouldn't work in a 15.4" notebook. If ATI has something else, they are staying very mum about it, and it's likely it won't arrive in time for a January update, or even be much more powerful, unfortunately. We'll have to wait for the Montevina (sp?) refresh to get something new in the graphics department. Hopefully, by then, we'll have some 65 or 55nm technology and a 256-bit memory interface, but we'll see.

Josheua

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
United States
Ok. So now that we have all thrown in what we think will be the next update. The question now is, how long after Jobs gets on stage will the Apple Stores around the U.S. have them in and how long will the wait times on the Apple.com? :)

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
Ok. So now that we have all thrown in what we think will be the next update. The question now is, how long after Jobs gets on stage will the Apple Stores around the U.S. have them in and how long will the wait times on the Apple.com? :)

My windows powered crystal ball is down with a virus today, so I don't know. It's anyone's guess. Lately, Apple has been announcing products once they have some inventory all set to sell... So hopefully we'll be able to get them from day one! ;)

BrandonP

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
Is there any rock solid news that there is a new macbook pro or a MBP update coming in early 2008? specifically at macworld?? I have been waiting on purchase one since leopard and am really getting anxious. Will the change to the MBP be purely internal or will there be any revamped looks, such as what apple did to the iMacs? Thanks in advance

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
ATI Graphics?

Like I said, there is a slight possibility we could see something pop up from ATI since their new 55nm cards are coming, but I doubt it. Specs of a Fujitsu laptop have leaked with a mobility hd 2700, but it's a 17" laptop, which means it likely wouldn't work in a 15.4" notebook. If ATI has something else, they are staying very mum about it, and it's likely it won't arrive in time for a January update, or even be much more powerful, unfortunately. We'll have to wait for the Montevina (sp?) refresh to get something new in the graphics department. Hopefully, by then, we'll have some 65 or 55nm technology and a 256-bit memory interface, but we'll see.

hmm...I think theres no possibilty with cards from ATI.
Once Apple makes the change from nvidia to ATI.They don't just "turn on them"...It must be a reason why they switched in the past.And it's not all about the graphics it could be the problem of those two companies working togheter etc,etc.And ATI is now owned by AMD and apple made the switch from AMD to Intel..hmmm(probably means nothing:rolleyes:)..And i think nividia is the current bether option(i know there are people thinking otherwise...
My dime..
If we have to wait for a graphic upgrade until montevina? it sucks...

maxpower13

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
Is there any rock solid news that there is a new macbook pro or a MBP update coming in early 2008? specifically at macworld?? I have been waiting on purchase one since leopard and am really getting anxious. Will the change to the MBP be purely internal or will there be any revamped looks, such as what apple did to the iMacs? Thanks in advance

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I really want a MBP for leopard. I really want it to last for at least 3 years so I want it to brand new when I get it. I've been looking around and from what I've seen there is no hard evidence they will be upgraded at macworld.

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
I've got two lists - things that I think Apple SHOULD make the next MBP...

• Silver/Black case (option)
  • 2.6 Ghz Penryn
  • 2Gb ram with 4 Gb as a SENSIBLE price upgrade (i.e. £130, not £450)
  • BluRay drive ( many >£1k laptops have this )
  • 1680 x 1050 LED backlit screen
  • MB like HDD swop out
8xxx 256 meg part from nVidia

Things I worry that Apple will do
  • Just a speed bump.

Doug

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
I've got two lists - things that I think Apple SHOULD make the next MBP...

• Silver/Black case (option)
  • 2.6 Ghz Penryn
  • 2Gb ram with 4 Gb as a SENSIBLE price upgrade (i.e. £130, not £450)
  • BluRay drive ( many >£1k laptops have this )
  • 1680 x 1050 LED backlit screen
  • MB like HDD swop out
8xxx 256 meg part from nVidia

Things I worry that Apple will do
  • Just a speed bump.

Doug

Black/Silver would be great:D.
rather 2.8 penryn then 2.6 penryn:cool:
yupp.Never understand why apple couldent make more sensible pricing on the ram upgrade.
Blueray drive would be nice.they must think about the future:cool:
The graphic upgrade are the most unpredictable thing..hard to say which way they choose...
nahh..they just had a "speed bump"..why would it be another one?
that would certainly make people think less of apple.so uncool...

funkyfoe

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Futureproof = HD proof

you sir are the winner. finally somebody actually did research.

chrmjenkins pretty much nailed it down. Based on past experience, the MBP updates will most likely follow the Intel roadmap. But If AAPL really intend to lead the market, they'll need to do more than bump the speed in January.

I'm in the market for a brand new 15.4" MBP that will have the capacity to edit HD video also two to three years down the line. Given that Leopard demands more of the graphic card, 256mb vram would indeed be a minimum for HD editing, but I'm not comfortable dishing out $500 for 128mb of vram and very slightly improved processor performance at current prices (the current differentiation is a joke:p) So I wait & hope :apple: gets it right this time.

I wanna see:

• Penryn 2.5/2.6 with 2.8 BTO
  • GeForce 8700M GT 256/512 WITH BETTER nVIDIA DRIVERS
  • 2/4 gb ram
  • new BluRay capable Superdrive as standard
  • 200gb 5400rpm/250gb 7200rpm hard drives
  • design evolution with keyboard update (media keys as seen in the MB) and Integrated fingerprint reader but no freakin' glass!

Good ol' Steve is really in a good position now with Leopard out to attract more switchers but the current hardware offering (cf. MP) leaves Apple trailing if nothing radical is done soon;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.