Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

deejaykorn

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2014
Well Visa is not working again, though MasterCard, when you run as credit (even if it is a debit card), will always ask the cashier for an offline password, simply ask them to input the password. Also, AMEX Softcard will not work, though AMEX Apple Pay will. I will try a Contactless card tomorrow.
Much too confusing for the average customer right now. Of course, mine was a Visa which explains why it didn't work.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
Byerly's grocery chain in Minnesota has just upgraded their point of sale terminals. Noticed the NFC icon and paid by Apple Pay.

I did have to sign as well. Most likely the same rules as for card swipe. Under $75 does not require signature. Over does.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Well this is strange, me and a friend went to Micheals today, and just for kicks, tried Apple Pay. She used Amex, it went right through, even showed approved on the screen. I then decided to try it myself with my B of A Visa which was always declined at this location before (screen would say "select a different tender") and much to my surprise, it worked. Went right through, the clerk behind the counter had to enter some password on her screen, though a receipt printed which showed the correct last four numbers for the apple pay "fake" card. I tried it multiple times after that (3 more transactions) and it worked fine, though what worries me is the terminal never showed "approved" for me, and the charges have not yet appeared on my account, though I do have a receipt for each transaction, and the person behind the counter said it went through. Maybe they're turning NFC back on?

I walked into a Michaels and used it three times, two credit and one debit and it worked perfectly with no need for them to enter a password as it worked just like any regular card. The cashiers were pretty surprised that I was tapping my phone!

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
When will cvs get it back. Also any hopes target will eventually.

It would probably if and when the whole CurrentC/MCX program launches and then (hopefully) falls flat on its face. CVS obviously has the capabilities, but it's disabled, while Target has the compatible terminals, but it's not enabled. This was posted a couple of weeks ago, clearly showing how Target (sadly) is out of touch with what folks want in this regard:

http://money.cnn.com/video/technolo...s-mobile-app.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_River

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It would probably if and when the whole CurrentC/MCX program launches and then (hopefully) falls flat on its face. CVS obviously has the capabilities, but it's disabled, while Target has the compatible terminals, but it's not enabled. This was posted a couple of weeks ago, clearly showing how Target (sadly) is out of touch with what folks want in this regard:

http://money.cnn.com/video/technolo...s-mobile-app.cnnmoney/index.html?iid=HP_River
Typical beat around the bush answers from that Target guy. His answers sounds like a politician!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

"We want our customers to have choice, so we're taking away the competing one to the MCX service in our stores."

Reactions: coolman13355

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Save Mart! As of today, NFC was turned on at Save Mart! Google wallet works for now, as do Contactless cards, though Apple Pay is declined for Visa/MasterCard for now. I still maintain to believe this is due to the fact that cards/Google Wallet have a name transmitted, while Apple Pay leaves this section blank which throws off some retailers. I am sure it will be live 100 percent by the end of the year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aXiMLmXayM&feature=youtu.be

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
Went to our local Disney Store over the weekend, and they support Apple Pay.

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
well if you hapen to find out what $bef0.01 means let me know. apple support doesnt even know

I got this today using Apple pay with my debit card at Office Max. Each time I tried my Apple pay got declined and I got the BEF0.01 on my iPhone.

I tried Apple Pay at a different store and it didn't get declined, but got -- for my total purchase on my iPhone.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
I got this today using Apple pay with my debit card at Office Max. Each time I tried my Apple pay got declined and I got the BEF0.01 on my iPhone.

I tried Apple Pay at a different store and it didn't get declined, but got -- for my total purchase on my iPhone.

Yup, yet another retailer not working due to the lack of a fake name being sent with the card data. Google Wallet and Softcard work fine there, though Visa/MasterCard on Apple Pay do not.

tisabmw

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
SF Bay Area
Save Mart! As of today, NFC was turned on at Save Mart! Google wallet works for now, as do Contactless cards, though Apple Pay is declined for Visa/MasterCard for now. I still maintain to believe this is due to the fact that cards/Google Wallet have a name transmitted, while Apple Pay leaves this section blank which throws off some retailers. I am sure it will be live 100 percent by the end of the year.

I tried Apple Pay (Visa debit card) at a Lucky (owned by Save Mart) grocery store in El Cerrito. Everything worked fine at the terminal, it indicated that payment was accepted. The checker showed no indication of payment on his terminal though. We had to swipe a debit card to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I tried Apple Pay (Visa debit card) at a Lucky (owned by Save Mart) grocery store in El Cerrito. Everything worked fine at the terminal, it indicated that payment was accepted. The checker showed no indication of payment on his terminal though. We had to swipe a debit card to pay.
Looks like its not on the MasterCard Nearby App yet, so no one has used it yet, although as mrcobra92 showed Google Wallet will probably work with no problem, because it sends a fake name. So I went to Jo-Ann Fabric today and they had Ingenico ISC Touch 250's, but there was no nfc light on, so I don't think Contactless was enabled, plus it said "Please slide card" with an arrow pointing to the magstripe reader. :confused: So I recommend putting them on as not accepting any Contactless payments at all.

Last edited:

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like its not on the MasterCard Nearby App yet, so no one has used it yet, although as mrcobra92 showed Google Wallet will probably work with no problem, because it sends a fake name. So I went to Jo-Ann Fabric today and they had Ingenico ISC Touch 250's, but there was no nfc light on, so I don't think Contactless was enabled, plus it said "Please slide card" with an arrow pointing to the magstripe reader. :confused: So I recommend putting them on as not accepting any Contactless payments at all.

A lot of NFC merchants just says please slide card, so this isn't a determining factor.

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
Home Depot seems to have an issue with some cards. My Chase Visa works fine. My Citi MasterCard, however, shows and error on the register something like "payment form not accepted" - when I try it at the self-checkout the attendant asks me if I'm trying to use a gift card.

I've read elsewhere that others are reporting similar issues at some Home Depots - Visa/AmEx work - MasterCard does not.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It depends. The merchant is responsible for upkeep and maintenance of the machines.

Yes but there is also the upcoming change in fraud liability. Come this fall if you aren't using NFC, stores will find themselves held liable for card fraud in situations where they aren't now. So the risk of having to eat fraud costs cause you took a swipe over NFC has to be weighed against the upkeep etc

----------

When will cvs get it back. Also any hopes target will eventually.

They're signatories for CurrentX so don't expect Apple Pay or Google Wallet with them any time soon

truskowr

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
California

I tried Apple Pay at Save Mart in Hollister. The card reader said "Tap RFID" so I tried using my BofA debit card. The transaction appeared to go thru like the the Google wallet video showed, then the cashier said the transaction was declined. Maybe next time I will try my Master Card and see what happens. I have not gotten a transaction to go thru successfully using apple pay yet so I'm not sure if it was the store or my phone.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I tried it at my local Shop Rite in South Jersey, it asked for a pin then declined. My debit card swipe worked fine. The Puma outlet in Atlantic City worked fine even though they didn't even know they took such payments.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I tried it at my local Shop Rite in South Jersey, it asked for a pin then declined. My debit card swipe worked fine. The Puma outlet in Atlantic City worked fine even though they didn't even know they took such payments.
@dontwalkhand I know, I used Google Wallet at an MX915 that said "Please swipe your card". @aawil Is the Shop Rite listed in the MC Nearby app? Also someone else should test Big Lots with Apple Pay, I know a couple of locations take Google Wallet, so hopefully ones with the MX915 should work, although its a bit buggy. I know that mrcobra92 posted that Apple Pay was declined at Big Lots, probably due to no fake name being sent, and I bet Shop Rite has the same problem. But I'd like to see someone else try Apple Pay at Big Lots, then post their results here. Or mrcobra92 try Big Lots with your Nexus 7 using Google Wallet, although for my phone I have to hold it horizontal to the screen to get it to read, but it does work. (buggy)

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Agree - but now that card companies are willing to give merchants the card present fee (vs the higher card not present fee) for Apple Pay, merchants are more likely to have NFC turned on.

NFC payments such as Google Wallet or Softcard (Isis) have always been Card Present.

Apple Pay is the same as other wallets in that respect. It was just poor reporting that made it sound different.

(However, note that Apple Pay used in-app is considered Card NOT Present.)

Yes but there is also the upcoming change in fraud liability. Come this fall if you aren't using NFC, stores will find themselves held liable for card fraud in situations where they aren't now. So the risk of having to eat fraud costs cause you took a swipe over NFC has to be weighed against the upkeep etc

The upcoming policy change on liability is about using EMV compatible payment methods instead of older magnetic stripe swipe methods.

As long as the stores take chip cards and support the highest verification method supported by a presented card (e.g. signature or PIN), they're covered.

NFC (contactless) support is optional.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I thought I'd just throw out there that one of the Meijer stores near me got new terminals this week - Verifone MX915s to replace the MX850 or MX860 units they had for a really long time. At this particular location, I never had issues, but at the other, I would get a "Hold Near Reader to Pay" error, so I'm hoping that one gets replacements soon, too. I'd be curious to see their numbers for people actually using it since launch, especially since their gas pumps are also NFC-capable.

That being said, does anyone know how larger chains typically do terminal upgrades - is it on a store by store basis or a rollout across the board?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.