Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I can confirm that Shaw's Supermarkets supports contactless payment. They're a major supermarket in the Northeast US.

Thanks. I'm going to try there when I get a chance. I've been meaning to check that store for awhile! :)

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
My local CVS just upgraded two of their terminals (looks like a slow roll out) these are MX925's with both internal AND external contactless. (Serial Number Checked and Verified with Verifone) Why? The only reason they would still be investing in these terminals is they most likely will turn it on once MCX allows them too.

Also, Target has these terminals (as most of you know) and they are also the internal contactless version. So most likely, some stores will be reenabling them. :D

I think most stores will reenable them, or enable them after the MCX exclusivity runs out. Especially since Chip & PIN is coming and chip & PIN is slow compared to swiping, but Apple Pay is faster than both, and RFID cards too.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Save Mart, only AMEX works there for now (according to the manager), though this is shown on the terminal during the entire checkout process.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 187

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Save Mart, only AMEX works there for now (according to the manager), though this is shown on the terminal during the entire checkout process.
Nice theme on the screen, looks very different than before, and does Google Wallet still work, and you mean only Amex Apple Pay works correct?

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Nice theme on the screen, looks very different than before, and does Google Wallet still work, and you mean only Amex Apple Pay works correct?

Yes, I just mean Only AMEX with Apple Pay works. Google Waller and Softcard also work fine. It's only Visa/MasterCard that decline with Apple Pay throwing up an "invalid format" error.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I paid with Apple Pay today at the Fresh Market in Webster Texas. It was a relatively new store.
I saw two of The Fresh Markets on the Paypass locator, although not all are listed, so either they don't have the readers, so only newer stores have them or they do, but no one has used it there. hmmm it looks like Fresh Market should be called The Fresh Market, as that is how it shows up on the Paypass locator.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I think the proper term is The Fresh Market, but I've seen it listed both ways.
I can't remember the store front, but I'm not sure the word 'The' was there. But I'm not the most observant person in the world.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I don't want to hijack this thread, but I've not heard about LoopPay till this post. Can LoopPay work using the phone alone, or must you buy the additional case to use with the app?

I use it with a fob at places that do not accept Apple Pay. But yes you need it to send a magnetic inductive signal.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I know. I am seriously wondering why Google or Microsoft hasn't bought this technology outright? With LoopPay, we are now payment agnostic. Phones and NFC payments are irrelevant.
Not quite as our cards get chips, trying to run a chipped card as a magstripe only mode will result in a please insert card from the terminal due to a flag put into the magstripe of a chipped card. Nonetheless I still Loop Pay is a good idea, but would have been a better idea years ago before we were to switch away from the magstripe cards. Plus with the EMV liability shift fast approaching many merchants have NFC readers and many more to follow, even if they are off, although many probably won't bother turning it off and ones who have it off will probably turn it on at some point, its just a matter of time.

Reactions: coolman13355

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Not quite as our cards get chips, trying to run a chipped card as a magstripe only mode will result in a please insert card from the terminal due to a flag put into the magstripe of a chipped card. Nonetheless I still Loop Pay is a good idea, but would have been a better idea years ago before we were to switch away from the magstripe cards. Plus with the EMV liability shift fast approaching many merchants have NFC readers and many more to follow, even if they are off, although many probably won't bother turning it off and ones who have it off will probably turn it on at some point, its just a matter of time.

LoopPay says they are working on the software to enable chip and pin cards to also work with their hardware. Should make their system future-proof for the next decade if true.

----------

They have reprogrammed the screens at my local Sprouts to show Apple Pay, Google Wallet and SoftCard

Same at my local SaveMart. The screens actually show Google Wallet, Apple Pay, Softcard and 'NFC payment' logos now.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
I just don't like the idea of having to carry something extra to make it function. Or put a case on my phone to hold things other than the phone, although I don't think that part is necessary for function.
5 years ago, yea. But now Apple Pay is gaining momentum and is all that I will use and promote.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Though my local Basha's I've been using Apple Pay at for a while, they put these up

This is nice as Basha's is a pretty small chain that exists here in Arizona only, their slogan now is "your local arizona home town grocer" or something like that.

Either way if a small time corp can do it, why can't Safeway?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138

truskowr

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2013
California

I can confirm that Save Mart now accepting debit cards. I just used my BofA debit card to purchase groceries. The cashier was totally surprised and asked what I just did so I explained it to her

goofy1958

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I tried using Apple Pay at an Office Depot on Saturday, and the NFC terminal said it was accepted, but the lady stated that the card was declined?!? I have used it successfully elsewhere, so was this just a glitch? Should I have tried again?

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I tried using Apple Pay at an Office Depot on Saturday, and the NFC terminal said it was accepted, but the lady stated that the card was declined?!? I have used it successfully elsewhere, so was this just a glitch? Should I have tried again?

Tried it there too. Manager said March as they're waiting on their merchant service provider to provision things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.