Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I thought I'd just throw out there that one of the Meijer stores near me got new terminals this week - Verifone MX915s to replace the MX850 or MX860 units they had for a really long time. At this particular location, I never had issues, but at the other, I would get a "Hold Near Reader to Pay" error, so I'm hoping that one gets replacements soon, too. I'd be curious to see their numbers for people actually using it since launch, especially since their gas pumps are also NFC-capable.

That being said, does anyone know how larger chains typically do terminal upgrades - is it on a store by store basis or a rollout across the board?
Generally it is one store at a time with contracted teams specializing in POS, PIN pads, handhelds, and the computers that run a retail store

Are you holding it up to the LCD of the MX915?

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Generally it is one store at a time with contracted teams specializing in POS, PIN pads, handhelds, and the computers that run a retail store

Are you holding it up to the LCD of the MX915?

That makes sense - I kind of figured that was the case. As for using my phone, I did hold it up to the screen of the MX915 and it worked well (I've used a few MX925s out in the wild already). I only had issues with MX850/860s at the other location that has yet to upgrade (every MX850/860 I used at the location that had upgraded worked fine) —*sorry I wasn't clear on that.

In my various experiences thus far, I haven't had any issues with any MX915/925 I've come across (well, apart from some with NFC disabled), the NFC readers on Meijer's gas pumps, the little NFC pin pads at Subway (other than one Subway employee was highly skeptical), and the Ingenico iSC250 units at my local Home Depot. It seems like a few of the add-on modules for MX850/860 just are flaky—had it happen a couple of times at two specific lines at a single Meijer location and a McDonald's. Then again, those have been in place for years, so who knows if they've been damaged.

Last edited:

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Anyone used it at a Sprint store? They have the Hypercom L4150's (same as Best Buy and look very cool in my opinion), and when I tried, it didn't work. The light on top of the terminal was on, though when I tapped my phone, nothing popped up on the screen at all, it looked like NFC was disabled.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone used it at a Sprint store? They have the Hypercom L4150's (same as Best Buy and look very cool in my opinion), and when I tried, it didn't work. The light on top of the terminal was on, though when I tapped my phone, nothing popped up on the screen at all, it looked like NFC was disabled.

Sprint hasn't turned it on because the POS software used doesn't support it. They don't use normal "cash register" software but rather an invoicing system, therefore the PIN pad isn't being used as such, it mostly serves to Sprint as a signature capture device for signing cell phone contracts. The MSR on the pad is set to USB key wedge mode which behaves more like a USB standalone MSR rather than an integrated POS solution.

----------

That makes sense - I kind of figured that was the case. As for using my phone, I did hold it up to the screen of the MX915 and it worked well (I've used a few MX925s out in the wild already). I only had issues with MX850/860s at the other location that has yet to upgrade (every MX850/860 I used at the location that had upgraded worked fine) —*sorry I wasn't clear on that.

In my various experiences thus far, I haven't had any issues with any MX915/925 I've come across (well, apart from some with NFC disabled), the NFC readers on Meijer's gas pumps, the little NFC pin pads at Subway (other than one Subway employee was highly skeptical), and the Ingenico iSC250 units at my local Home Depot. It seems like a few of the add-on modules for MX850/860 just are flaky—had it happen a couple of times at two specific lines at a single Meijer location and a McDonald's. Then again, those have been in place for years, so who knows if they've been damaged.

The add on modules are more powerful when they do work but when they don't they are a heap of trouble/ which is why Verifone came out with integrated solutions- but they are weak for regular contactless cards.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
The add on modules are more powerful when they do work but when they don't they are a heap of trouble/ which is why Verifone came out with integrated solutions- but they are weak for regular contactless cards.

That makes sense, especially since the MX915/925 units have optional external modules available, but I've never actually come across one in person. Since contactless cards* seem to be rare anyway (at least from what I've seen from a lot of banks), I can see why some are passing on those.

*In the United States.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
I'm wondering if they are as rare as we think they are. The reason is after going through all the cards I have and my GF has to pick some for Apple Pay, I noticed that several had the contactless symbol on the back. It was never hyped or mentioned to us when it was included when new cards were issued. So I wonder just how many people never even notice they had that technology.

That could be the case - obviously I'm speaking anecdotally here, but I've had cards from Chase, Discover, PNC, Amex, and Citi and none have had it, but I know that some have done it during certain time periods or on very specific cards (some PNC debit cards have it, while others don't; Discover offered it as an opt-in with a little optional sticker, but that didn't go anywhere). Places like Meijer and McDonald's have had capable terminals for years, but I think this is the first time people have really even seemed to care or try (other than those who gave Google Wallet a spin).

Quick, everyone check your cards for the symbol and report back! (Not really, that's for another thread) :D

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
That could be the case - obviously I'm speaking anecdotally here, but I've had cards from Chase, Discover, PNC, Amex, and Citi and none have had it, but I know that some have done it during certain time periods or on very specific cards (some PNC debit cards have it, while others don't; Discover offered it as an opt-in with a little optional sticker, but that didn't go anywhere). Places like Meijer and McDonald's have had capable terminals for years, but I think this is the first time people have really even seemed to care or try (other than those who gave Google Wallet a spin).

Quick, everyone check your cards for the symbol and report back! (Not really, that's for another thread) :D
Two Wells Fargo debit and 1 Wells credit have it. I used mine extensively before Apple Pay

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Used it at BiLo self-checkout up in TN yesterday.
Was pleasantly surprised!

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Michaels has compleatly disabled NFC now. Doesn't even bring up the cards or Apple Pay, Google Wallet it does nothing, Contactless cards do nothing as well.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Michaels has compleatly disabled NFC now. Doesn't even bring up the cards or Apple Pay, Google Wallet it does nothing, Contactless cards do nothing as well.
Well that sucks I just used it two days ago and Google Wallet worked, but I know it can change over a day or two. The same thing happened with Kum & Go, it worked one day and stopped the next. Over a year ago at Hy-Vee I used it once as it was on the Paypass locator then 3 months later the nfc antenna was off and still is. All I can say is screw MCX, and there is a high chance they are going to lose and accept all forms of payment that they should have from the start. Even Verifone recently posted a video showing an mx925 with all nfc wallets and mcx here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shlIHj0gxro

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
Big Lots!

Tried :apple:Pay at Big Lots! today. The phone responded to the terminal, I was able to use Touch ID to "pay" but the transaction was refused/declined. Swiped the same card next moment and it worked. Not sure what's up here.

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Tried :apple:Pay at Big Lots! today. The phone responded to the terminal, I was able to use Touch ID to "pay" but the transaction was refused/declined. Swiped the same card next moment and it worked. Not sure what's up here.

It probably was similar to how Home Depot seems to have trouble with MasterCards on Apple Pay - something about how the name is passed along - just out of curiosity, what kind of card were you using (bank and/or network)?

----------

I thought I'd just throw out there that one of the Meijer stores near me got new terminals this week - Verifone MX915s to replace the MX850 or MX860 units they had for a really long time...

And on that note, the other location got them, too - I suspect the rollout might eventually be chainwide - I really wish they'd advertise it like Whole Foods does (at least a graphic on the screen or something like that) and we could see what the numbers looked like for mobile payments. Since they're a private company, I doubt that would happen unless it's some sort of good PR move.

I'll also add that I used it this weekend at an American Eagle store and they seemed very versed on the topic. That being said, their readers (looked like MX860s) had custom graphics advertising Google Wallet and other kinds of payment methods, but no Apple Pay. Would've been nice to see that added since they're a launch partner.

Speaking of launch partners (sorry if I'm ranty), Subway has "Softcard" graphics on their small pin-pad terminals, but nothing else...also makes me wonder what a "launch partner" really means.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
It probably was similar to how Home Depot seems to have trouble with MasterCards on Apple Pay - something about how the name is passed along - just out of curiosity, what kind of card were you using (bank and/or network)?

----------

And on that note, the other location got them, too - I suspect the rollout might eventually be chainwide - I really wish they'd advertise it like Whole Foods does (at least a graphic on the screen or something like that) and we could see what the numbers looked like for mobile payments. Since they're a private company, I doubt that would happen unless it's some sort of good PR move.

I'll also add that I used it this weekend at an American Eagle store and they seemed very versed on the topic. That being said, their readers (looked like MX860s) had custom graphics advertising Google Wallet and other kinds of payment methods, but no Apple Pay. Would've been nice to see that added since they're a launch partner.

Speaking of launch partners (sorry if I'm ranty), Subway has "Softcard" graphics on their small pin-pad terminals, but nothing else...also makes me wonder what a "launch partner" really means.
Launch partner probably means advertising on Apple's website and not much more.

enthusiastic

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013

It was Citi VISA.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
My local CVS just upgraded two of their terminals (looks like a slow roll out) these are MX925's with both internal AND external contactless. (Serial Number Checked and Verified with Verifone) Why? The only reason they would still be investing in these terminals is they most likely will turn it on once MCX allows them too.

Also, Target has these terminals (as most of you know) and they are also the internal contactless version. So most likely, some stores will be reenabling them. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1254.JPG
    IMG_1254.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 265

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
I used my TD Bank card via Apple Pay last night at Walgreens and man was it such a breeze. I wish all the stores I shop at like Best Buy, Shop Rite, Acme and Target would jump on board. It's so much easier.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I used my TD Bank card via Apple Pay last night at Walgreens and man was it such a breeze. I wish all the stores I shop at like Best Buy, Shop Rite, Acme and Target would jump on board. It's so much easier.

Best Buy you already can pay with your iPhone, you go in there and you open up an app called Amazon when you see what you like

*rimshot*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.