Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Perhaps there will be some complaints (in fact there are a few already), but certainly not a lot. In the US and Mexico, whether or not a merchant accepts contactless is very rarely or never a factor for people to decide whether or not to shop there. People make that decision based on anything but the acceptance of contactless payments. Heck, if pressed further to either accept contactless or drop card acceptance altogether Walmart could choose to go cash only in both countries and it would make very little difference, if any at all.

I disagree... though I have no supporting documentation, I would venture to say that Walmart is the store of choice for the "paycheck to paycheck" crowd who stretch their finances by relying on credit cards...

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It does take a few extra seconds, though. And Believe it or not that led many american merchants to drag their feet to accept chip, to the point that some of them even after replacing their card readers still put a piece of tape on the chip slot and directed everyone to swipe instead because it was “faster”.
It was my experience early on with "chip and PIN" that the transactions themselves were significantly slower, perhaps causing some of the "feet dragging"... it's gotten much better over time, but when "chip and PIN" first arrived on the scene, waiting 5-10 seconds for the transaction to be approved was not uncommon, at least in my area (metro Phoenix).

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
Yeah, inserting a card into a slot requires so much extra energy. :oops::oops::oops:

And Walmart (and Sam's Club) are currently resisting tap to pay in the US...

Sure some customers complain, but most of the sheep that shop at Walmart just use the Walmart Pay thing... it's not nearly the issue for the masses as you are trying to make it. It can be annoying, but that's about where it ends for the majority of people.

Perhaps there will be some complaints (in fact there are a few already), but certainly not a lot. In the US and Mexico, whether or not a merchant accepts contactless is very rarely or never a factor for people to decide whether or not to shop there. People make that decision based on anything but the acceptance of contactless payments. Heck, if pressed further to either accept contactless or drop card acceptance altogether Walmart could choose to go cash only in both countries and it would make very little difference, if any at all.

In some way or other, Walmart stores in USA and Mexico will need to deal with customer complaints in the future when it comes to different types of card payments that is available in other big stores and not in Walmart stores.

If Walmart stores decide to do cash only in the USA stores and Mexico stores, there would be a big social media talk and a big media coverage. This event would affect Walmart's businesses in the 2 countries.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
If Walmart stores decide to do cash only in the USA stores and Mexico stores, there would be a big social media talk and a big media coverage. This event would affect Walmart's businesses in the 2 countries.

I highly doubt it. As I said before, people in the US and Mexico don’t care at all if walmart doesn’t take certain payment methods. They shop there because they like the lower prices and offers, regardless of whether or not they can use a particular payment method. Even though Walmart doesn’t take contactless, people still shop there. Even if Walmart stopped taking cards altogether and went cash-only, people would still shop there regardless. Especially in Mexico, where it seems nothing in the world can make cash usage drop below 80% (even a pandemic couldn’t do that).

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Not to be a buzzkill, but aside from the debate of how restaurants handle payments versus how they should handle payments (it's basically like gas stations that still have disabled NFC readers or are dragging their feet on EMV chip), has anyone's Lowe's gotten contactless enabled yet?

If so, that leaves Home Depot, H-E-B, Walmart/Sam's Club as the last big holdouts, right?
Lowes hasn't added it except for a few test locations in Texas.

Other Major holdouts are Hobby Lobby and WinCo, Some smaller ones are chains like Graybar, Guitar Center, Fleet Farm and Paper Source.

Last edited:

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
I highly doubt it. As I said before, people in the US and Mexico don’t care at all if walmart doesn’t take certain payment methods. They shop there because they like the lower prices and offers, regardless of whether or not they can use a particular payment method. Even though Walmart doesn’t take contactless, people still shop there. Even if Walmart stopped taking cards altogether and went cash-only, people would still shop there regardless. Especially in Mexico, where it seems nothing in the world can make cash usage drop below 80% (even a pandemic couldn’t do that).

We can forget on the Walmart stores in Mexico and talk on what would happen to Walmart stores in USA if it accepted only cash.

I would say there would be a heavy social media talk and big media coverage if all Walmart stores in the USA announced that they would refuse all card transactions and accept only cash.

In the USA, 85% of all transactions in stores are by card. Most Americans like to pay more by card than cash.

As the largest retailer in the USA, Walmart USA would definitely feel the criticism from other big USA retailers if it went cash only and say that Walmart USA wants to live in ancient times. This event would make these big retailers to take an advantage of the American consumer base when they know that Americans like to pay more with card than cash.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
We can forget on the Walmart stores in Mexico and talk on what would happen to Walmart stores in USA if it accepted only cash.

I would say there would be a heavy social media talk and big media coverage if all Walmart stores in the USA announced that they would refuse all card transactions and accept only cash.

In the USA, 85% of all transactions in stores are by card. Most Americans like to pay more by card than cash.

As the largest retailer in the USA, Walmart USA would definitely feel the criticism from other big USA retailers if it went cash only and say that Walmart USA wants to live in ancient times. This event would make these big retailers to take an advantage of the American consumer base when they know that Americans like to pay more with card than cash.
you say that, but everyone who has a bank account has a phone. if they said cash or walmart pay and made the signup process easy, people would do it. and those who dont have bank accounts or phones are already paying in cash.

though, i dont see them doing it unless the transaction rates skyrocket.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
you say that, but everyone who has a bank account has a phone. if they said cash or walmart pay and made the signup process easy, people would do it. and those who dont have bank accounts or phones are already paying in cash.

though, i dont see them doing it unless the transaction rates skyrocket.
I think you're forgetting a segment of the population—the elderly. I'd venture that many of them don't have/use smartphones but obviously have bank accounts and/or credit cards.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I think you're forgetting a segment of the population—the elderly. I'd venture that many of them don't have/use smartphones but obviously have bank accounts and/or credit cards.
i see 70 year olds stuck with their heads down on their phone ALL the time. especially at grocery stores.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
Shell has finally enabled contactless on Wayne/DFS pumps in my area. I'd imagine not all areas have it yet but I added that some have it at the pump. Many areas have it working on Gilbarco pumps which I haven't tried in my area in awhile. It always have said unsupported on Gilbarco and before Wayne didn't even have the readers on at all.

Attachments

• PXL_20231209_030515696.jpg
    PXL_20231209_030515696.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Shell has finally enabled contactless on Wayne/DFS pumps in my area. I'd imagine not all areas have it yet but I added that some have it at the pump. Many areas have it working on Gilbarco pumps which I haven't tried in my area in awhile. It always have said unsupported on Gilbarco and before Wayne didn't even have the readers on at all.

Great. It took them years, though. I’ve been using apple pay to pay for my fuel in Mexico since 2016 while it took shell all these years to start accepting it.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I don’t keep up with whatever brand pumps are, but Shell stations in my area have been taking contactless for a while.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Lowes hasn't added it except for a few test locations in Texas.

Other Major holdouts are Hobby Lobby and WinCo, Some smaller ones are chains like Graybar, Guitar Center, Fleet Farm and Paper Source.
I wouldn't count on Hobby Lobby adding it...ever. Their culture, much like their views and perspectives on certain things, is still very much in the 19th century. All of the cashiers at the Hobby Lobby near me still have to enter in the prices manually. No scanners. It's honestly amazing that they have computer registers at all to be honest.

As for WinCo, the might add it eventually but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice because but I dont see it happening anytime soon.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
I wouldn't count on Hobby Lobby adding it...ever. Their culture, much like their views and perspectives on certain things, is still very much in the 19th century. All of the cashiers at the Hobby Lobby near me still have to enter in the prices manually. No scanners. It's honestly amazing that they have computer registers at all to be honest.

As for WinCo, the might add it eventually but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice because but I dont see it happening anytime soon.
But Hobby Lobby takes it in the app, so they aren't anti-apple pay.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023

As the use of tap to pay and Apple Pay increase, any stores in the USA that refuse to do these payment options, you will see the increase of some angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area.

HEB and Lowe's stores in the USA currently experience the increase of some angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area because of their refusal to do tap to pay and Apple Pay.

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

I can see Walmart surcharging for CC use, actually. IIRC the vast majority of their transactions are with debit cards anyway (which can't be surcharged), so doing so might not be as hurtful to their bottom line as one might think.

The downside, of course, is that once everyone else sees that Walmart got away with surcharging, they'll all surcharge too. Which, to be honest, maybe is the right thing to do given that stores in the US (especially smaller ones) tend to pay an order of magnitude more for card processing versus, say, ones in Europe.

WinCo's never liked accepting cards in the first place and got dragged kicking and screaming into accepting debit, so I don't see them ever doing contactless unless the debit networks force them to.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
As the use of tap to pay and Apple Pay increase, any stores in the USA that refuse to do these payment options, you will see the increase of many angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area.

HEB and Lowe's stores in the USA currently experience angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area because of their refusal to do tap to pay and Apple Pay.

Considering we're almost at a majority of transactions using contactless now and they still haven't enabled it on their end, I don't think people care as much as we'd like to think. At least not yet, anyway.

Reactions: lartola

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
WinCo's never liked accepting cards in the first place and got dragged kicking and screaming into accepting debit, so I don't see them ever doing contactless unless the debit networks force them to.

Expect more increase on complaints with some angry American customers as the years go with Winco.

The tap to pay by physical card is popular with American customers.

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Expect more increase on complaints with angry American customers as the years go with Winco.

The tap to pay by physical card is popular with American customers.

Honestly, WinCo prices tend to be significantly lower than other grocery stores, which lends credence to the idea that CC fees are at at least part of the reason why other stores are more expensive. People might very well be more willing to accept that they can only insert at WinCo if it means they stay cheaper.

Also, contactless debit has never worked all that well in the US and I'm not convinced it's gotten much better since Apple Pay first came out. WinCo accepting it without accepting credit cards first could end up possibly backfiring on them.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
As the use of tap to pay and Apple Pay increase, any stores in the USA that refuse to do these payment options, you will see the increase of many angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area.

HEB and Lowe's stores in the USA currently experience the increase of angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area because of their refusal to do tap to pay and Apple Pay.
You must be exaggerating, it's a mild annoyance at best, but so is leaving behind a whole cart of groceries over it, or better yet, throwing your hissy fit at lowes only to goto home depot and have the same experience. 'American customers' will use their card(s) if they have to. In fact I see more 'American customers' using their cards when when Apple pay is available.

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
You must be exaggerating, it's a mild annoyance at best, but so is leaving behind a whole cart of groceries over it, or better yet, throwing your hissy fit at lowes only to goto home depot and have the same experience. 'American customers' will use their card(s) if they have to. In fact I see more 'American customers' using their cards when when Apple pay is available.

I said ‘some angry American customers’ in my previous posts, not all ‘ angry American customers’.

Did you remove the word ‘some’ when you replied to my post?

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
I said ‘some angry American customers’ in my previous posts, not all ‘ angry American customers’.

Did you remove the word ‘some’ when you replied to my post?
You actually said 'many' not 'some'. I stand by statement, I dont care if you wanna wiggle out if yours, but you dont have to make things up.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
As the use of tap to pay and Apple Pay increase, any stores in the USA that refuse to do these payment options, you will see the increase of some angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area.

HEB and Lowe's stores in the USA currently experience the increase of some angry American customers that leave their items in the payment area because of their refusal to do tap to pay and Apple Pay.

But how many would need to do that to make enough lost sales to make these companies budge? right now the number of angry customers leaving items in the checkout area at heb, walmart, Lowes or Home Depot due to the lack of contactless is still very tiny compared to how many still shop at those places regardless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.