Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Yes they do in app.

Some say Home Depot doesn’t have contactless because they have a contract with PayPal. But you can’t use PayPal in store only online. But when that contract runs out they. Should add it.

I doubt that’s the reason. Home Depot in Mexico has no such contract and they, too, don’t have contactless just like the US stores.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
You didnt read the same article I did.
Or maybe you read the question differently?
IMG_0797.jpeg

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
What percent of US businesses accept contactless payments and Apple Pay as of today

It says from Apple Pay USA website that 85% of retailers in USA accept contactless payments and Apple Pay.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
It says from Apple Pay USA website that 85% of retailers in USA accept contactless payments and Apple Pay.

But 'retailers' is a small fraction of all US businesses.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
But 'retailers' is a small fraction of all US businesses.

And i suspect ‘retailers’ only includes stores, not other businesses that may take credit and debit cards such as sit down restaurants, post offices, hospitals, storage facilities, doctors’ offices, hotels, schools, car dealerships, government offices, sports clubs or parking lots. Including those, the percentage of businesses accepting apple pay and contactless may be substantially lower than 85%.

Last edited:

amajum0073

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2023
And i suspect ‘retailers’ only includes stores, not other businesses that may take credit and debit cards such as sit down restaurants, post offices, hospitals, storage facilities, doctors’ offices, hotels, schools, car dealerships, government offices, sports clubs or parking lots. Including those, the percentage of businesses accepting apple pay and contactless may be substantially lower than 85%.

It is that these businesses in USA use mostly card swipers instead of pinpads.

IDT-IDMB334133B.png

Most pinpads today in USA have contactless feature.

9dec67e7a4324397e67d6835da9181e6_500x.jpg

It will change in USA for most of these businesses who use card swipers to buy pinpads. Mastercard in 2027 will remove the magnetic stripe from their credit cards and debit cards from 2027 in USA and Canada.

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA

Ehhh...I've used contactless at some of those. I'm not sure it's as uncommon as it used to be even there.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
That 85% Stat is a few years old.

Here's a more recent article that claims 90% acceptance.

Since that article, was published, several more retailers have added it.

Michael’s, Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s, Menards, AMC Theaters, and USPS. That's many thousands of additional locations.

I would expect it to be about 92 or 93% by now.

Last edited:

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023

Michael’s, Kroger, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s, Menards, AMC Theaters, and USPS. That's many thousands of additional locations.

I can't access the article.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017

Again, that number likely doesn’t include businesses other than stores that take card payments.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
LensCrafters accepts Apple Pay in stores.

In stores it’s easy, just as long as they take contactless they take apple pay. The real challenge is for merchants to accept apple pay online and in their apps. That’s where the percentage of apple pay acceptance is rather low in the US and even lower outside the US.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
In stores it’s easy, just as long as they take contactless they take apple pay. The real challenge is for merchants to accept apple pay online and in their apps. That’s where the percentage of apple pay acceptance is rather low in the US and even lower outside the US.
This is just not true.

While most systems that allow contactless do -also- accept apple pay, it is not 100% the case that if they support contactless then Apple pay is automatically accepted.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
This is just not true.

While most systems that allow contactless do -also- accept apple pay, it is not 100% the case that if they support contactless then Apple pay is automatically accepted.

Of course there are exceptions, but even in the US it's still generally true that contactless acceptance means that Apple Pay works (at least at the terminal level). The differences start showing up when you consider the usability of the terminal in the first place. For example, the hospitality/food service industries in general are especially not great for customer use of NFC but depending on the location may still have significant use of contactless (by virtue of employees tapping physical cards for customers).

Unfortunately I suspect that as long as contactless is getting used at all, that's good enough for Visa, MC, etc. Which means that a lot of the usability issues may never get fixed.

Reactions: lartola

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
This is just not true.

But it’s usually the case.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
Of course there are exceptions, but even in the US it's still generally true that contactless acceptance means that Apple Pay works (at least at the terminal level). The differences start showing up when you consider the usability of the terminal in the first place. For example, the hospitality/food service industries in general are especially not great for customer use of NFC but depending on the location may still have significant use of contactless (by virtue of employees tapping physical cards for customers).

Unfortunately I suspect that as long as contactless is getting used at all, that's good enough for Visa, MC, etc. Which means that a lot of the usability issues may never get fixed.

What’s striking is how those usability issues seem to be pretty much exclusive to the USA and very rarely if at all do they happen anywhere else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.