Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
But how many would need to do that to make enough lost sales to make these companies budge? right now the number of angry customers leaving items in the checkout area at heb, walmart, Lowes or Home Depot due to the lack of contactless is still very tiny compared to how many still shop at those places regardless.

At least for Lowe's and HD, I don't think people are going to hardware stores that often most of the time (whereas somewhere like Kroger or Safeway is a lot more commonly visited and thus could see more benefits from contactless).

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
At least for Lowe's and HD, I don't think people are going to hardware stores that often most of the time (whereas somewhere like Kroger or Safeway is a lot more commonly visited and thus could see more benefits from contactless).

I do most (95% or more) of my ‘hardware’ shopping at my neighborhood Ace Hardware. They have an incredibly comparable inventory to what the local Lowe’s and Home Depot offer … their prices are extremely competitive AND they do contactless. #winning

Reactions: lartola

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I wouldn't count on Hobby Lobby adding it...ever. Their culture, much like their views and perspectives on certain things, is still very much in the 19th century. All of the cashiers at the Hobby Lobby near me still have to enter in the prices manually. No scanners. It's honestly amazing that they have computer registers at all to be honest.

As for WinCo, the might add it eventually but I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice because but I dont see it happening anytime soon.
I thought I had heard that Hobby Lobby was supposed to add it somewhere.
Honestly, WinCo prices tend to be significantly lower than other grocery stores, which lends credence to the idea that CC fees are at at least part of the reason why other stores are more expensive. People might very well be more willing to accept that they can only insert at WinCo if it means they stay cheaper.

Also, contactless debit has never worked all that well in the US and I'm not convinced it's gotten much better since Apple Pay first came out. WinCo accepting it without accepting credit cards first could end up possibly backfiring on them.
A store in Wisconsin called Woodman's only accepts debit and Discover contactless. Of course my Google Pay won't work because the debit support is jacked up thanks to Google or my bank. WF never had issues with contactless debit but my current bank does. But the physical card works fine and even at the pump with NCR Optic. But they use Toshiba like Costco and Kroger though with ctls H while WinCo uses NCR iirc.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
I do most (95% or more) of my ‘hardware’ shopping at my neighborhood Ace Hardware. They have an incredibly comparable inventory to what the local Lowe’s and Home Depot offer … their prices are extremely competitive AND they do contactless. #winning
Ace only has basic hardware and tools, hardly anything when it comes to home improvement.

Flooring, Doors, Windows, Light Fixtures, appliances, Power tools, Toliets, tubs, counter tops and cabinets, tile, shelving, storage bins, smart home appliances, building supplies, are just a few of the things that Ace doesn't have

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Ace only has basic hardware and tools, hardly anything when it comes to home improvement.

Flooring, Doors, Windows, Light Fixtures, appliances, Power tools, Toliets, tubs, counter tops and cabinets, tile, shelving, storage bins, smart home appliances, building supplies, are just a few of the things that Ace doesn't have
it's true that they have limited major appliances (I get them elsewhere at any rate), but they have a decent inventory of power tools, some flooring, light fixtures, toilets, tubs, showers, shelving and home maintenance supplies... and any project that doesn't involved Lowes or Home Depot is a major win for me...

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
it's true that they have limited major appliances (I get them elsewhere at any rate), but they have a decent inventory of power tools, some flooring, light fixtures, toilets, tubs, showers, shelving and home maintenance supplies... and any project that doesn't involved Lowes or Home Depot is a major win for me...

Home Depot and Lowe’s do sell some stuff that nobody else does. That’s why they think they can get away with not turning on contactless (especially Home Depot, because Lowe’s already started turning it on at some stores and has accepted apple pay online for months too).

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
On their website, yes, but not in any store I have ever been in. They are only about 10,00 sq feet, 1/10th the size of a Lowes or HD, so how would they be able to have room for any of that.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I added Lowe's to the list. The cashier was surprised too.
1000002730.jpg

Reactions: prss14

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Home Depot stores in USA will never do it.

That's a pretty strong statement, IMO, considering that there's not much evidence out there that they're actively against NFC (unlike Walmart where they've done a whole bunch to resist it).

Anyway, the best case is that they don't think their customer base cares enough about it (which might not be true for much longer). Worst case is that it is actually related to their long-standing fight with the networks over interchange, which means yeah, it's not getting resolved without some sort of sweetheart deal from the networks and/or interchange getting capped in general.

amajum0073

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2023
the best case is that they don't think their customer base cares enough about it (which might not be true for much longer).

So the demand and complaints for tap to pay and Apple Pay by American customers is growing in the USA from your statement?

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
So the demand and complaints for tap to pay and Apple Pay by American customers is growing in the USA from your statement?

I mean, supposedly we're almost at 40% usage now if you believe Visa. If growth continues, it's not out of the question for usage to reach the majority of transactions in a year or two. Then, places like HD and Walmart become the exception and not the norm, which in theory should start putting pressure on them (but we'll see if that actually happens).

michaelsanchez0027

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2023
I mean, supposedly we're almost at 40% usage now if you believe Visa. If growth continues, it's not out of the question for usage to reach the majority of transactions in a year or two. Then, places like HD and Walmart become the exception and not the norm, which in theory should start putting pressure on them (but we'll see if that actually happens).

It should be a concern for some small businesses in the USA who refuse to do contactless payments. These businesses use magnetic stripe readers.

Mastercard said that they will remove the magnetic stripe from their debit cards and credit cards. It will start in Europe in 2025 and then to USA and Canada in 2027.

Last edited:

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
It should be a concern for small businesses in the USA who refuse to do contactless payments. These businesses use magnetic stripe readers.

Mastercard said that they will remove the magnetic stripe from their debit cards and credit cards. It will start in Europe in 2025 and then to USA and Canada in 2027.

At this point, it's really only a few bigger retailers still resisting. I don't think smaller businesses that are still swiping are as common as people think, at least in my experience anyway.

cub850G2

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
NE
I don’t keep up with whatever brand pumps are, but Shell stations in my area have been taking contactless for a while.
I just went to a Shell with Gilbarco pumps and the contactless readers were still blinking. Many still don't have ctls enabled at the pump. Others show the reader as enabled but it says unsupported.

Last edited:

garyjones027

macrumors member
May 4, 2023
At this point, it's really only a few bigger retailers still resisting. I don't think smaller businesses that are still swiping are as common as people think, at least in my experience anyway.

I think that he said ‘some’ small businesses in the USA.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I think part of the reason here is the available technology ... options like Square make tap to pay almost ubiquitous.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I think that he said ‘some’ small businesses in the USA.

Yep. Even then, there aren't all that many smaller businesses that still swipe anymore.

I think part of the reason here is the available technology ... options like Square make tap to pay almost ubiquitous.

I think Square and the like helped smaller businesses start accepting cards in general, which then made it easier for them to accept the latest stuff. Before, the only options were basically the terminal your merchant processor gives you (which if you went this route, would likely have gotten you contactless eventually) or shelling out the big money for a POS system. Both options, of course, weren't exactly ones smaller businesses wanted to do--which is why cash only was way more common in the 2000s and earlier than it is now.

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Does Hobby Lobby stores accept Apple Pay in Hobby Lobby mobile app?
Yes they do in app.

Some say Home Depot doesn’t have contactless because they have a contract with PayPal. But you can’t use PayPal in store only online. But when that contract runs out they. Should add it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Yes they do in app.

Some say Home Depot doesn’t have contactless because they have a contract with PayPal. But you can’t use PayPal in store only online. But when that contract runs out they. Should add it.
Are you sure about no PayPal in the store? I remember seeing an option on the checkout payment pad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.