Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keeping it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Only the weak (mind and body) would say the RG (pink) is a no go area ;)

iphone-6s-3d-touch-jamie-foxx.jpg

Reactions: 5105973 and 88Keys

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I live in a large major metropolitan city. Between the women and metrosexuals Rose Gold iPhones are everywhere.

That's how I know Apple Watches aren't popular, I have only seen one since they were released. That's both revealing of how there's just no interest here, and that it's not likely to change.

I've seen a huge number of the new MacBooks in several of the many Starbucks in this city. This is also a college town with very wealthy students and four Apple stores.

Stop in any Starbucks and 95% of laptops are Apple, but not one watch in sight. Very revealing.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
I live in a large major metropolitan city. Between the women and metrosexuals Rose Gold iPhones are everywhere.

That's how I know Apple Watches aren't popular, I have only seen one since they were released. That's both revealing of how there's just no interest here, and that it's not likely to change.

I've seen a huge number of the new MacBooks in several of the many Starbucks in this city. This is also a college town with very wealthy students and four Apple stores.

Stop in any Starbucks and 95% of laptops are Apple, but not one watch in sight. Very revealing.

If you go to many hackathons or start ups, the majority use MacBook pros. If you go to Silicon Valley a lot of people have an Apple Watch. I for one have an Apple Watch but do not wear it as I don't have a use for one.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
If you go to many hackathons or start ups, the majority use MacBook pros. If you go to Silicon Valley a lot of people have an Apple Watch. I for one have an Apple Watch but do not wear it as I don't have a use for one.
You're absolutely right.

While I frequently work in Silicone Valley , I don't count that population as the norm since its heavily biased towards Apple since they're headquartered in Cupertino, and secondly because the population of ego/vanity driven followers that choose Apple to be seen as cool, hip, and well off.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Perhaps, but if you take it out in public, then others have to endure the colour.

Spare a thought for others.
Lol! That's right up there with "what about the children?"

I'm now carrying my Rose Gold 6 Plus in a hot pink case. I find I no longer misplace my iPhone inside the house. It used to be a real chore hunting for the space grey in a black case on black granite or dark wood surfaces.

As far as Rose Gold and the men go, I think the Rose gold looks really nice with men's suits and dress shirts, especially dark blues. It doesn't look feminine to me in that context. I think it's a shame if men avoid Rose Gold because they look nicer with a rose gold iPhone than a lot of us women do. Women often wear other bright or light colors that clash more with the Rose Gold or detract from it in some way.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Lol! That's right up there with "what about the children?"

I'm now carrying my Rose Gold 6 Plus in a hot pink case. I find I no longer misplace my iPhone inside the house. It used to be a real chore hunting for the space grey in a black case on black granite or dark wood surfaces.

As far as Rose Gold and the men go, I think the Rose gold looks really nice with men's suits and dress shirts, especially dark blues. It doesn't look feminine to me in that context. I think it's a shame if men avoid Rose Gold because they look nicer with a rose gold iPhone than a lot of us women do. Women often wear other bright or light colors that clash more with the Rose Gold or detract from it in some way.

It seems that men and pink is better accepted over the pond. Here it's distinctly girls-only. I mean, if we sent a boy to school with a rose gold pencil case he would be bullied to heck.
I once put some pink laces in a pair of black Vans skate shoes, thinking I was being 'edgy & cool' but soooo had the rip taken out of me.:D

I also went through a phase of wearing a pink/salmon LaCoste polo shirt, with similar barbed comments. To me those two choices, the laces and the shirt, were cool accessories. I would consider a pink phone a step further than that and at least here in the UK, you'd be considered a bit girly.

kinster

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
It seems that men and pink is better accepted over the pond. Here it's distinctly girls-only. I mean, if we sent a boy to school with a rose gold pencil case he would be bullied to heck.
I once put some pink laces in a pair of black Vans skate shoes, thinking I was being 'edgy & cool' but soooo had the rip taken out of me.:D

I also went through a phase of wearing a pink/salmon LaCoste polo shirt, with similar barbed comments. To me those two choices, the laces and the shirt, were cool accessories. I would consider a pink phone a step further than that and at least here in the UK, you'd be considered a bit girly.

It just means you're scared and are dictated what to do ;-)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It just means you're a ***** and are told what to do ;-)

Not at all. I 'did' it, repeatedly. It isn't like I took the laces out after one comment, or stopped wearing the shirt. I used both until they wore out. It was a choice I made and I stuck with it, I just used it as an example of how men and the colour pink are perceived over here. I had sooo many 'gay' comments but as I thought they were cool items I brushed them off. Still, a pink phone to me is a girly item. It would work in certain instances, like if wearing a blue suit with a pastel shirt as Grumpy Mom says, but 24/7 in all scenarios not so much. Just my personal opinion.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I knew I'd get the Rose Gold from the second I saw it announced during the keynote. Absolutely gorgeous colour and I'm not ashamed in the slightest to use it in public. I don't use a case or screen protector, as I hate spoiling the look and feel of my iPhones. I proudly show off my new phone everywhere I go. :)

In my opinion, if you have to question whether or not you should get this colour based on others' opinions/expectations, you're probably not gonna pull it off. Just stick with the 'manly' Space Grey...

Reactions: februarian

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I knew I'd get the Rose Gold from the second I saw it announced during the keynote. Absolutely gorgeous colour and I'm not ashamed in the slightest to use it in public. I don't use a case or screen protector, as I hate spoiling the look and feel of my iPhones. I proudly show off my new phone everywhere I go. :)

In my opinion, if you have to question whether or not you should get this colour based on others' opinions/expectations, you're probably not gonna pull it off. Just stick with the 'manly' Space Grey...

I go with my own opinions. I think that the rose gold iPhone is feminine and I wouldn't choose it based upon that. I would wear, and have worn, certain pink accessories but a pink phone is a step too far for me. It isn't based upon other peoples' opinions, it's based on my own. For the record, I own a bisexual silver and white iPhone...:D

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

cale508

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
IL
I own a RG iPhone 6s Plus. I don't think is a matter of the RG being for girls or boys. People will buy what they want. I personally don't give a f***, I bought it and I'm happy with it. People didn't give me the money to buy it nor they pay my bills, so opinions are like butts, everybody has one :D. If I pull out my RG iPhone in public and the color offends you, you have issues not me. The good thing is that there are choices. I still don't understand why the color of your phone matters nowadays, it's a choice.

welsea

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'm holding the phone right now, please stop. You're not going to convince me, it almost never looks anything like that...
You do agree that the general consensus is that the phone is pink, right?

(I'm not saying it matters but you seem upset everyone else thinks it's pink)

I have a RG plus and I got it because I like pink...and it's pink. ;)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I live in the UK and regularly wear pink shirts: I have never been subjected to any form of barbed comments - maybe you just mix with the wrong people ;)

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I'm holding the phone right now, please stop. You're not going to convince me, it almost never looks anything like that...

My wifes looks pink in low light and in bright light. It looks pink in every lighting situation in between. It's a nice color, and that picture is a pretty good representation of it.

Reactions: welsea

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I go with my own opinions. I think that the rose gold iPhone is feminine and I wouldn't choose it based upon that. I would wear, and have worn, certain pink accessories but a pink phone is a step too far for me. It isn't based upon other peoples' opinions, it's based on my own. For the record, I own a bisexual silver and white iPhone...:D

Sure, and that's totally fine. Of course many guys will consider the Rose Gold to be feminine, and so that colour isn't for them. Others, like me, aren't bothered by such opinions and enjoy it anyway.

Choice is a great thing. :p

jrpmsms

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2014
San Francisco
Male... old... far from metro or gay... get over it. RG 128k +. And... pleased to report... the Caudable Veil XT Frost case... makes it even better. Thinnest case I've ever had and the frost really makes the RG look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.