Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paclypse71

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
San Diego
If anybody is looking for a good dock to use with this case, I am using the Sinjimoru Sync Stand Aluminum for Samsung Galaxy(So it has a centered Micro USB plug). I previously used it for my iPhone 4S with Phonesuit Elite Battery Case.
The only issue I had with the Mophie case was that it would only charge properly with the supplied Micro USB cable (When using the cable supplied with the Sync Stand, the iPhone 5 would say "Charging with this accessory is not supported" and the phone would not even charge from the case with the cable plugged in). I had to file down the plastic piece on the Sync Stand to install the Mophie-supplied Micro USB cable.
Considering that the Mophie cable is required, it may be easier to get the Lightning version of the Sync Stand if the Mophie Micro USB cable fits without modification.

Attachments

• Front.JPG
    Front.JPG
    690.8 KB · Views: 169
  • Rear.JPG
    Rear.JPG
    702.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
Do any you guys have this problem with your Helium on my iPhone 5. After maybe 1-2 hours of not using the phone, the case will go to sleep.
Until I hit the LED light button. Then it wakes up.
Guys, Just found out the problem was leaving your iphone in Airplane Mode will make the helium go to sleep mode after 1-2 hours.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
Everything seems to be fine with mine. Just need to do some more testing on it. My only gripe was that the soft touch finish has already scratched of in on spot. The case has only been in my pocket or on a table so it is pretty disappointing that its too easy to scratch

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
anyone have the black one for 99 bucks? Can someone post pics? As far as size well I have the book book for iPhone 5 and its pretty thick with it in it.

Cases that provide decent protection usually add size.

rocksyoursock

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Regular Mophie Helium vs Apple Version of Helium - My comparison

So a couple days ago I received my Mophie Helium from Apple.com. I didn't know Apple had Mophie design a special "snap" version of the case for their online and retail stores. I was confused and posted in another thread why mine was different from all of your Helium's and I thank you all for your answers.

Overall, I hated the Apple version and went to Best Buy and bought the regular version. The regular version is by far the better one and I do not recommend anyone to by the apple version. The regular version's bottom audibly and very securely clicks with the top portion. The apple version just has a very small, soft click. It does not take any force to remove the bottom version. This might be due to the fact the iPhone is secure with the top piece anyway, since it "snaps" into the top piece securely without the bottom piece.

The worst part is inserting and removing the phone into the Apple version. You remove the phone from the case by pushing the camera lens and part of the bottom of the phone. . It takes a LOT of force to get it out (the case does not flex in any way). It actually scratched the non-button side of the phone (the side you struggle to "snap" in and "snap" out of the case.

Just throwing this out there. Yeah the Helium is slippery to hold, yeah the headphone jack is recessed, but overall it is decent if you have the need for it. Just avoid the Apple Store version of it.

In my pictures the regular version is on the left, and the Apple version is on the right. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744802.924990.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361744812.036546.jpg

bfeels

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
Does anybody know of I can call Mophie to cancel my order even though it says I can't online because it is being processed. But I know it hasn't shipped

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
Engadget's post about the Air mentions a Lightning passthrough, but the photos on Mophie's site show another mini USB connection :mad:

It's amazingly annoying to have to use crappy mini USB. I already bought enough expensive lightning cables and my car dock uses lightning.

I can't buy one as it is. I guess I will have to invest in a small portable charge pack to carry in my bag/pocket, at least they charge an iPhone more than once (some 3 or 4 times).

What's the deal here? Is there going to be a lightning version?

MorphMan

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2013
It's amazingly annoying to have to use crappy mini USB. I already bought enough expensive lightning cables and my car dock uses lightning.

You also can't sync over it, so I assume other USB functions (like car audio connections) won't work.

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
Well, there goes $80 bucks out the window that I spend on the Helium. Seriously, does anyone else feel a little duped that they release the Air literally two weeks after shipping the Helium?

Not only is the Air pretty much what should have shipped in the first place, but it seems to fix my biggest issue with the Helium (the uncovered buttons are really uncomfortable and awkward to hit) but this case actually seems to offer some protection in case of a drop. Plus it offers 1700 mHa which should recharge the phone to an almost charged state. I only was able to get roughly 65% pf my battery back with the Helium.

The deep headphone jack not withstanding, the Air looks to be the case that should have shipped in the first place. I'm hoping I can return my Helium that I used for a week. The bottom doesn't really sit on there evenly and while it was something I could overlook for the extra juice, now that the Air is out I'm hoping I can get my $80 back. I actually need the extra power.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Well, there goes $80 bucks out the window that I spend on the Helium. Seriously, does anyone else feel a little duped that they release the Air literally two weeks after shipping the Helium?

Not only is the Air pretty much what should have shipped in the first place, but it seems to fix my biggest issue with the Helium (the uncovered buttons are really uncomfortable and awkward to hit) but this case actually seems to offer some protection in case of a drop. Plus it offers 1700 mHa which should recharge the phone to an almost charged state. I only was able to get roughly 65% pf my battery back with the Helium.

The deep headphone jack not withstanding, the Air looks to be the case that should have shipped in the first place. I'm hoping I can return my Helium that I used for a week. The bottom doesn't really sit on there evenly and while it was something I could overlook for the extra juice, now that the Air is out I'm hoping I can get my $80 back. I actually need the extra power.

dimensions are almost negligible, if you really need the extra power more than worth it. ALso wonder if this will charge at 1mAH like the helium vs 500 mah for the old cases. It does get pretty hot. I hope there is not a recall like there was for the ipod touches last year where mophie asked for them back

Maybe they will come out with one that has lightning finally soon

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Engadget's post about the Air mentions a Lightning passthrough, but the photos on Mophie's site show another mini USB connection

I can't buy one as it is. I guess I will have to invest in a small portable charge pack to carry in my bag/pocket, at least they charge an iPhone more than once (some 3 or 4 times).

What's the deal here? Is there going to be a lightning version?

The "lightning passthru" is misleading.

The Air will charge both the case and the phone simultaneously with mini USB, but will not pass data. At least there isn't the need to use two cords and charge both the iPhone and the Air independently.

BJ

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Returned mine getting the Air. Wanted black so this is perfect. The buttons are a bonus too.

theautopilot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
You also can't sync over it, so I assume other USB functions (like car audio connections) won't work.

:eek:

Well done mophie, you have managed to simultaneously reduce your potential amout of new customers who dont/cant want mini USB, and upset many existing ones who bought the Helium.

Portable charging pack it is then...

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Well done mophie, you have managed to simultaneously reduce your potential amout of new customers who dont/cant want mini USB, and upset many existing ones who bought the Helium.

The world is going to be flooded with charging cases and Mophie needed two sku's to compete. There will be a $79 product and a $99 product. I'm glad I have choice, was never under the impression that the Helium was going to be the only option.

BJ

rapaleeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
The world is going to be flooded with charging cases and Mophie needed two sku's to compete. There will be a $79 product and a $99 product. I'm glad I have choice, was never under the impression that the Helium was going to be the only option.

BJ

The issue is that there has been zero news about their cases. Then they have a pre-order event and make a huge deal about the Helium. Then they proceed to release the case that does nothing but improve on their initial offereing with seemingly no downside (a very minimal weight increase is the only thing I can see) literally two week after shipping of their initial offering.

I expected more than one sku as well but with all the issues they reported on their facebook and then zero news and seemingly radio silence they drop the Air two weeks later. People feeling duped or burned because they bought into the hype, wait times, and Mophie's own news is something I feel for. While part of the blame is on the consumer (I blame myself for not waiting) part of the blame is on Mophie for really poor customer interaction.

They delayed the Helium for over two months making it seem as this was all they had to release at this time when they actually had two to release almost right next to each other (I would expect a Plus Variant down the line as well but it could come sooner after the Air). It is what it is, but I can see some people being sour for spending the $80 on the Helium which does what they need but isn't perfect (the button cut outs are awful and uncomfortable and quality control has been spotty at best). The same people then see the case they were wanting/looking for release two weeks later and yes you have some irritated customers.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
:eek:

agree, is there a case that does have lightning passthru charging? Maybe someone needs to come out with it for others to up their game?

I think lenmar, iblason, techu, icontact, etc are all micro usb

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm in the same boat. I've already ordered an Air and am going to try and return the Helium I've had for about a week or so now. Bit of a joke that they've followed it up with a superior version within a couple of weeks and have essentially boned the people who took the time to preorder. Always expected a better version to come along but in the same month?!!! C'mon.

Better capacity notwithstanding, it's the non-recessed buttons that make the Air a much better proposition.

Worse case scenario I'll flog my Helium on eBay and claw back some of what I've paid for it.

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
agree, is there a case that does have lightning passthru charging? Maybe someone needs to come out with it for others to up their game?

I think lenmar, iblason, techu, icontact, etc are all micro usb

uNu is coming out with one, and they are actually apple certified, has a 2300mAh battery, and is $79.95:

http://www.myunu.com/dx-protective-iphone-5-battery-case.html

Lightning Technology to MicroUSB
The new DX fully supports charging and synchronization of the iPhone 5 through the case and transform the lightning port on the iPhone 5 to a commonly deployed standard micro-USB port located on the DX case, which will effectively relieve the pain of lacking lightning charging cables and docking accessories.

display_2_6.png

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Anyone here with a silver Helium. I am not a fan of the grey which in my opinion looks lightly blue. Anyone can confirm if they have seen them at Best Buys? Have only seen grey. Thanks

long86

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Has anyone tried using the headphone adapter with in-line headphone controls? I tried it with mine and the in-line controls are not working. Is there any adapter that will work with in-line controls?

Disregard the question, just learned you have to plug the adapter in the headphones before you plug it in the phone to work.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.