Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I think when it comes down to specifics mophie is the best. They are much better at things we take for granted like overheating and signal degradation. other cases seem to all of these types of issues baaed on reviews. Ilounge also reports the lenmar case they have hampers the signal in early testing.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Mophie have authorised the return of my Helium thankfully. Already ordered a Juice Pack Air - it's not so much for the extra 200mah (added bonus) but the covered buttons. The recessed buttons on the Helium are slightly tricky to access. Not a deal breaker, but with a case already available that eliminates the issue, it's a no brainer.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
I'll be returning by Helium back to Best Buy. I decided to get a knockoff case off of ebay for 35 bucks and has 2250mah so a much better deal in my eyes as long as it works properly.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Anyone else order the air? 7 days is this Sunday, wondering if anyone gets it earlier??

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Oct 29, 2012
I've decided to keep the Mophie. Ive gotten used to the awkward size. Its overpriced though if the eBay knockoffs do the job.

DanUC6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Has been 7 days since my order...no shipping :eek:. Anyone here get a shipping email yet?

misterjay

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Have seen and heard mixed reviews about mophie this time around.

Any alternatives like Mophie out there that has promise?

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
uNu is coming out with one, and they are actually apple certified, has a 2300mAh battery, and is $79.95:

http://www.myunu.com/dx-protective-iphone-5-battery-case.html

Lightning Technology to MicroUSB
The new DX fully supports charging and synchronization of the iPhone 5 through the case and transform the lightning port on the iPhone 5 to a commonly deployed standard micro-USB port located on the DX case, which will effectively relieve the pain of lacking lightning charging cables and docking accessories.

Never heard of the brand, so there's not much reputation points scored with me on this one. At least Mophie is a trusted brand, albeit with issues. If I'm going to go off-brand I can pick one up on eBay\Amazon for $30, or just go to any market in China and get one for $10 USD.

Paclypse71

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
San Diego
uNu is coming out with one, and they are actually apple certified, has a 2300mAh battery, and is $79.95:

http://www.myunu.com/dx-protective-iphone-5-battery-case.html

Lightning Technology to MicroUSB
The new DX fully supports charging and synchronization of the iPhone 5 through the case and transform the lightning port on the iPhone 5 to a commonly deployed standard micro-USB port located on the DX case, which will effectively relieve the pain of lacking lightning charging cables and docking accessories.

This case, like many of the others, uses an off-center Micro USB connection that inhibits docking ability. At this point I'd rather wait to see what Phonesuit comes up with.

matneh

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Never heard of the brand, so there's not much reputation points scored with me on this one. At least Mophie is a trusted brand, albeit with issues. If I'm going to go off-brand I can pick one up on eBay\Amazon for $30, or just go to any market in China and get one for $10 USD.

Interesting, I thought that this brand was pretty trusted since they are #1 on the Amazon top-sellers list for the iphone 4 battery case, and they seem to be the only other brand that is actually going through the lightning certification process.

I hadn't heard about them either, but I also didn't have an iPhone 4 :)

AndroidBlows

Suspended
Oct 29, 2012
I've come to the conclusion that the non Apple store Mophie is solid and worthy. Even with the awkwardness of the size which is gonna happen with any i5 case anyway.

Since its certified its good to know it won't be rendered useless down the road.

Happy with it so far. It came in really handy twice now and charged well.

It doesn't add much bulk, feels great in the hand (texture wise).

Thumbs up from me.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Interesting, I thought that this brand was pretty trusted since they are #1 on the Amazon top-sellers list for the iphone 4 battery case, and they seem to be the only other brand that is actually going through the lightning certification process.

I hadn't heard about them either, but I also didn't have an iPhone 4 :)

It's not hard to be number 1 when you're cheapest and there are only 4-5 competitors in the category.

Anyhow, it's ugly. There's a reason why they call it the "cost alternative"

Not for me.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
I haven't seen any comments on the power/standby switch and was wondering if everyone else's is like mine. It's loose, not when switching from on to standby or vice versa but just the switch itself isn't tight. It's like a loose power button that some have complained about on the iPhone itself. Just kind of sloppy. I hear it when I handle my phone and its annoying. Are they all like that? Not like that on any of my other older Mophie cases.

long86

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
I haven't seen any comments on the power/standby switch and was wondering if everyone else's is like mine. It's loose, not when switching from on to standby or vice versa but just the switch itself isn't tight. It's like a loose power button that some have complained about on the iPhone itself. Just kind of sloppy. I hear it when I handle my phone and its annoying. Are they all like that? Not like that on any of my other older Mophie cases.

The power switch was loose on first one helium I got from Best Buy but I returned it and bought one from AT&T and is noticeably tighter. No rattling around like the first.

Is anyone noticing the soft finishing around the edges of the case wearing off. I've only had the case for a week and its starting to show some major wear.

millerhifi

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2012
Los Angeles Ca
The power switch was loose on first one helium I got from Best Buy but I returned it and bought one from AT&T and is noticeably tighter. No rattling around like the first.

Is anyone noticing the soft finishing around the edges of the case wearing off. I've only had the case for a week and its starting to show some major wear.
Thanks for that. Guess it's time to get a replacement. No wearing of the edges for me.

long86

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Here is a pic of the wear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 142

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
FedEx arrived yesterday with my Mophie Air and I couldn't be happier. Fits great, great build quality.

The relocation of the sound to front firing speaker ports is a huge win, the sound is much louder and people can hear me speak much clearer. Nice bonus.

BJ

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
I just picked up my new iP5 and iPad4 at the apple store today and got the helium, its going right back. The buttons are impossible to access and if I am going to live with a bit of bulk I might as well live with the full sized air version.

What kills me is these are not available anywhere other than Mophie's site. Seems they are filling their orders and letting the Helium sell through at retail which to me is a crime. Its worth the extra $20 to get the better of the two cases.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.