Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I know the guy has clout but if he's advocating something crap I have a hard time believing no one would challenge it. Especially considering he just became leader of HI 6 months ago. And the software designers he's working with reported to the guy he probably had a hand in getting fired. I dunno, I just think if this was a disaster in the making somewhere, somehow we'd be hearing about it.

That's one way of looking at it and I can see that quite easily. Another way would be that the software designers he is now working with probably had a hand in their former bosses demise also, and wouldn't want to upset their new head. Tis all speculation on mine and your part of course, but interesting nevertheless. Would be nice to be a fly on the wall during some of their meetings. :)

I firmly believe that we won't be disappointed with the look of the new UI, I think that there will be nay sayers once it is released, but that's always the case.

Last edited:

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
I wonder why Apple doesn't make sure stuff like this doesn't get leaked to begin with, then all this drama could be avoided.

Obviously there is also the (not unlikely) chance that the rumor is not true.

I'm sure what ever they come up with will be great and up to Apple's standard, my main concern is with fugly mockups and blanket statements about "flat design" and "skeumorphism". Since no one has seen iOS7, no one is really qualified to make any judgements about it's appearance anyway.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
instead of alienating customers?

SO.....There's large existing market for the current toyish look (ie, every preteen & teen that wants an iDevice)

AND.....There's a large potential market for the newer minimilist look (ie, business market)

So WHY does Apple appear to be dead set on a SINGLE major re-haul that leans towards one market?

If the solution to your design problem is letting the people decide what is a better design for them, then you have already failed. Design is opinionated. And this is why it is very hard.

4TheLoveOfTech

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2013
A highly detailed AppleInsider's article, on the way that could take the next iOS:

Editorial: Apple's iOS 7 needs exclusive, distinctive features, not just a flat UI

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...usive-distinctive-features-not-just-a-flat-ui

Daniel Eran Dilger from AI is one of the most Apple delusional sheep that has ever written on the Internet.

His articles are riddled with lies and half truths and nothing he writes can ever be taken seriously.

He is in all sense of the word. An iSheep. He can't think for himself and is so blind and full of hate for all other non Apple brands that come his article are very immature to the level or moronic.

Please don't quote that Quack as anything that even remotely resembles what is going on in any market.

That is why the rest of the Crazy (Yes Techskil) the moderator that controls every posting and deletes anything that disagrees with him or is in any way not the Apple Way.

Worst site on the Internet and makes Gizmodo and their followers look like MIT graduates.

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Daniel Eran Dilger from AI is one of the most Apple delusional sheep that has ever written on the Internet.

His articles are riddled with lies and half truths and nothing he writes can ever be taken seriously.

He is in all sense of the word. An iSheep. He can't think for himself and is so blind and full of hate for all other non Apple brands that come his article are very immature to the level or moronic.

Please don't quote that Quack as anything that even remotely resembles what is going on in any market.

That is why the rest of the Crazy (Yes Techskil) the moderator that controls every posting and deletes anything that disagrees with him or is in any way not the Apple Way.

Worst site on the Internet and makes Gizmodo and their followers look like MIT graduates.

honestly I have to agree. that article was sort of pointless and mostly served as fluff.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder why Apple doesn't make sure stuff like this doesn't get leaked to begin with, then all this drama could be avoided.

Obviously there is also the (not unlikely) chance that the rumor is not true.

I'm sure what ever they come up with will be great and up to Apple's standard, my main concern is with fugly mockups and blanket statements about "flat design" and "skeumorphism". Since no one has seen iOS7, no one is really qualified to make any judgements about it's appearance anyway.

What if Apple is the one doing the leaking? Generate some buzz before WWDC. The guy who wrote this piece indicated he had more stuff coming.

----------

If the solution to your design problem is letting the people decide what is a better design for them, then you have already failed. Design is opinionated. And this is why it is very hard.

Well unless you let people make up their own design you're basically choosing for them anyway.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Given how many times I've had to explain to customers that we can't disassemble their iMac in store to get their SD card out of the CD tray...I'm glad they made the move.

Hugely inconvenient, yes, but much less so than taking apart the frickin machine because someone was to lazy to LOOK where they were shoving the card.

Just shows apple couldn't be bothered to spend a minute thinking about a solution to a genuine problem ... They just shoved it round the back rendering it completely useless!!! Typical apple these days.

----------

So was removing the floppy drive from the original iMac form over function?

The iMac range never had floppy drives; but that aside, changing floppy to optical was a good move. Removing the optical altogether however is pretty stupid for a number of reason, the simplest being I can no longer burn my CDs to iTunes and creat discs for my car, burn movies etc unless I fork out more money for an external drive that costs money and takes up space ... All because apple wanted to make their mac thinner (but no doubt further tie people into their cloud services ... No thank you, Im not a mug!)

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
I'm optimistic about IOS 7.
The "wet" look icons that Apple debuted to the world have started to look cheesy. Every other consumer elctronics company has borrowed this design vocablulary, and done a crap job with it.
It's like when you compare Danish Modern furniture from a high quality vendor with what Target markets as their "modern" furnishings.
I can understand why Ive would like to jettison that look.
The chrome or gradient look is rather tired as well.
Again I'm optimistic about the update but I hope that they spend adequate attention to the mechanics of the OS.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Knowing the clout that Ive has at Apple, do you seriously think that any employee working directly or even indirectly under his charge would make public (internally or externally) his/hers riff with him or his designs? It would be too easy to trace back to source and would be akin to a resignation letter.

Does Jony play the guitar?

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Does Jony play the guitar?

Some say that he can walk on water, so presumably the act of plucking some strings in a pre determined order to make a pleasing sound shouldn't be to much of a challenge for him.:D:D

In my defence I was using a word that I had quoted and had been used before, I assumed (possibly wrongly) that it was the North American equivalent of the English "rift" :)

I much prefer the words "Tiff" or even "Barny" for something stronger that could be used in the place of rift.

Last edited:

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
I know that Jonny hates Jazz, but I sure hope that Jony likes Colours!

This gray-ification of everything is horrible. Just like how they took all the colours away from Finder. The result is functional but dull.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
What are you talking about? The advantage is iMessage to iMessage is free and automatically detects if the recipient is on iOS automatically switching as required and saving you money. Think you miss the point! If it was a separate app you would lose this simple way of working and send text messages from your allowance when you have no need to, simply because you don't know if the recipient is on iOS or not,

I already have an order of magnitude free SMS than I know what to do with. That's not a benefit compared to the loss of data robustness and the ability to send in low signal qualities that SMS has.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
the home panorama wallpaper is about time,

FINALLY Apple will begin the catch up with Nova Launcher on Android.

Take THAT, Google!

----------

So it's basically going to be an uglier, flat black and white watered down version of Android? Keep innovating Apple! :rolleyes:

Naw. Judging from the panoramc wallpaper, it will be an uglier, flat black and white watered down version of Nova Launcher.

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
I thought the skeuomorphisms were weird, and s strange contrast to the form factor of the product. I hope the GUI isnt to soul less. I think the skeuomorphisms are corny, but usuable. I find the new Google mail and apps bit souless. Either way Ives is a genius designer he's done good so far see what they drop.:cool:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Just shows apple couldn't be bothered to spend a minute thinking about a solution to a genuine problem ... They just shoved it round the back rendering it completely useless!!! Typical apple these days.

----------

The iMac range never had floppy drives; but that aside, changing floppy to optical was a good move. Removing the optical altogether however is pretty stupid for a number of reason, the simplest being I can no longer burn my CDs to iTunes and creat discs for my car, burn movies etc unless I fork out more money for an external drive that costs money and takes up space ... All because apple wanted to make their mac thinner (but no doubt further tie people into their cloud services ... No thank you, Im not a mug!)
External drives are cheap and don't take up that much space. Apple isn't catering to the (most likely) minority of customers who still need an optical drive. And they didn't remove the optical drive because Jony Ive said the iMac needed a 5" edge. Don't be ridiculous.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Why can't someone just leave a 5S at a bar so we can get a peek at iOS 7 !?

Oh wait, you'll need the owners finger to unlock it ;)

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
As much as I hate Apple, I think a flat, less colorful, less childish, elegant look will be great on iOS devices! Skeuomorphism is cr*p.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That's a lot of people switching platforms over something that isn't even released yet. The only explanation is that these posters must have time machines.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
So, is this a way of saying "IOS 7 will be boring in colour" ? Any visual change may take time to get used

If the panorama wallpapers screen can't be displayed that may something. But at least Face time will have its own app..

Motawa

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
WWDC logo makes sense now. Signaling a dedicated color for stock apps.

wwdc-logo.jpg

i could imagine a animation from this logo... you know, the WWDC logo dissapears to the side and the icons expand =) (on keynote)

alephnull12

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2012
So far, sounds like a tedious and unnecessarily inaccessible European art-house movie. Nice to look at, but a drag to make sense of. Just what I feared.

Wait and see, I guess.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So far, sounds like a tedious and unnecessarily inaccessible European art-house movie. Nice to look at, but a drag to make sense of. Just what I feared.

Wait and see, I guess.

It's the exact same interface with a slight variation on the look, how does that make in unnecessarily inaccessible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.