Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tritons

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I sure hope that there will be 13'' Macbook Pro with Quad-Core cuz I want one 13'' for school and Air won't cut it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I can't remember the last time Apple coordinated a new computer hardware release with a new OS. If anything Apple refrains from shipping x.0 versions in any computer hardware b/c usually many incompatibles exist w/ 3rd party s/w and h/w and Apple is all about user experience.

Lion and the 2011 MBA. It shipped with 10.7.0.
User experience did suck at first, it's slowly getting better.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Speaking of which.... why are apple's most portable machines all without anti-glare? If you're likely to use a machine outside or somewhere that there is likely to be glare, surely its more likely to be PORTABLE?

I would like to see anti-glare options on every Apple screen.

What I have noticed is the larger the screen, the harder it is to avoid reflections. My iPhone only reflects a small area and is easy to adjust position, both because of the size. It gets much harder with my iPad, and almost impossible to avoid with my unibody Macbook.

I am still using a white 24" iMac a my main computer. The latest 27" iMac is my perfect computer in all ways except one - the reflective screen - which means my next computer will be something else unless that changes.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Well, it depends on how Apple wants to label their stuff, but outside of video pros, I see almost nothing or anyone that utilizes FW any more. Almost all consumer peripherals are USB these days.

I'd hope Apple keeps FW on their computers for at least another 3 years, because I still use a decade-old FW iSight and decade-old FW video camera.

Quite a few audio interfaces uses FireWire, for video it's quite slow actually at 100MB/s (for FW800). Over time I suppose that thunderbolt is a better fit actually.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Quite a few audio interfaces uses FireWire, for video it's quite slow actually at 100MB/s (for FW800). Over time I suppose that thunderbolt is a better fit actually.

TB really is the way to go. But, it's taking a while to come on through and be affordable with the peripherals. Can't wait until all the other stuff goes by the wayside in a few years. We'll just get adaptors for old devices to work with TB.

Lagging external storage has been my bane for over a decade, now. The future is here, but it's not quite as here as it should be.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I’d guess that 13" MacBook Pro might itself be eliminated. With the new 13" Air, the presence of a 13" MacBook Pro seems kind of odd.

Disagree. I am pretty sure that basic 13" MBP is the best-selling Pro whatsoever. Apple doesn't have any reason to discontinue it.

There are many people who prefer powerful mobile machine over stylish thin "ultrabook". Also, the possibility of implementing quad-core Ivy-Brigde inside 13" MBP makes the difference between Pro and Air even bigger => gives Apple one less reason to kill this line.

I sure hope that there will be 13'' Macbook Pro with Quad-Core cuz I want one 13'' for school and Air won't cut it.

As Intel is going to release 35W Quad-core CPU, introduction the QC 13" Macbook is more likely than ever.

I would like to see anti-glare options on every Apple screen.

What I have noticed is the larger the screen, the harder it is to avoid reflections. My iPhone only reflects a small area and is easy to adjust position, both because of the size. It gets much harder with my iPad, and almost impossible to avoid with my unibody Macbook.

I am still using a white 24" iMac a my main computer. The latest 27" iMac is my perfect computer in all ways except one - the reflective screen - which means my next computer will be something else unless that changes.

Me too. I really miss the times of aluminum matte Apple Cinema HD Displays. Also, unavailability of the matte screen as a bulid-to-order option for the 13" Pro doesn't make much sense to me as it is the most portable Pro and so is more likely to be used outdoors. Why do we, outdoor users, have to suffer from the sunshine more than people in offices with matte 17"?
I expected the matte option to come last year already, so I hope that Apple's gonna fill my expectations this year ;)

Last edited:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
If they do go with an all new MBA-like design for the new MBA/MBP I suspect they will also go with the MBA-like screen and drop the glossy screen and drop the anti-glare option with it. The MBA screen is a lot less reflective than the MBP. As more and more sales are made through their expanding retail network it makes sense to try and reduce the number of models and variations.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I believe that Ivy Bridge supports USB 3; will the next generation of Macs come with USB 3?

Yup, its built into the chipset and motherboards so if apple going to have any USB ports then it will be USB 3

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
So the Intel HD4000 has 3x better Bench results than the HD3000: Enough for roundabout 300 dpi? :) then i'd have to sell my early'11 MBP :D

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Looks like Apple will be getting a lot of my money this year. My MBP is slowly dying (battery doesn't last more than 2 hours or so, had to replace optical drive, etc.), plus my cell phone contract will be up this summer. Thinking about getting a 17" Ivy Bridge MBP with Mountain Lion when it comes out and the next iPhone, whatever that'll be called (iPhone 5?)

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
15" MBA:
$2100 starting up to $2600 for the BTO version
256GB SSD to 480GB SSD Blade
4-8MB L3 Cache
Intel HD 4000 (OpenCL support finally) & NVidia/ATi hybrid graphics when needed.
2x 3.0 USB ports
Thunderbolt
10-14hr Battery life ... I think this overall would be useful to EVERY pro user!
XC SD Card slot but I'm hoping that ExpressCard slot makes a comeback: CompactFlash, external video card, and FW800 all is easy via a VERY light & small expansion card that fits in your back pocket - very negligible vs that heavy sizeable miniature SSD Thunderbolt portable drive.
Combo Optical/non-optical Sound In/Out port (like MBA & 13" MBP)
Kensington LOCK hole.
1680x1200 Hi-Res matte display across the 15" board.

the 17" will remain untouched or a specific slim build that will still enjoy the SuperDrive, for those that just need that iMac like power, no desk in their crawlspace and still have power on the go.

Tack on another $1,000 for that rig and you're about right. Otherwise you're absolutely dreaming.

sponkey21

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
Finally new iMacs!

I can't wait to log in here and see a headline about iMac release events! My wife and I have a 2006 white MB and a 2007 MBP respectively and they are both failing hard (upgraded hard drives, and memory, replaced batteries twice on each, frequently clear PRAM and repair permissions, and still can hardly keep up with routine processing) and are eagerly awaiting the upgrade. Don't need a laptop anymore. iPad 3 and a new iMac thank you very much.

Any ideas on how soon these chips will find their way into an iMac and into my home? I hope it isn't too many more months. The wait is killing me. At least it looks like the iPad is go within a month.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Wirelessly posted (This odd thing that I hold: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

My Santa Rosa 2007 whitebook has served me admirably for 5 years but it was getting long in the tooth. I was going to sell it once the new MBA's come out, but unfortunately it was stolen last week :(

The new MBA's look really nice - just that they'll cost me £300 more than I planned :(

This will be hard to resist:

Quad core i-chip,
HD4000
8GB ram
Thunderbolt

All in all, compared to my MacBook:

Approx 3 times as fast *
Half the weight
3 times better graphics
Double the RAM
10 times faster external port
Roughly £300 more retail price.
Half the HD space.

* my MacBook scored about 3000 on geekbench, current 2011 MBA score about 6000, and a quad core Sandy Bridge MBA ** maybe 9000

** assuming that we actually get a quad core MBA ...

Nielsenius

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2011
Virginia
"This is the result... it is our new MacBook Air, and we think it's the future of notebooks."

-- Steve Jobs, October 20th, 2010 11:13AM PST.
If Steve said that back in 2010, then why didn't the 2011 MacBook Pros get a redesign? Who's to say that the redesign will come this year? I understand that thinner MacBook Pros are the next logical step in the evolution of the computer. I don't doubt that fact and it wasn't my question. My question is: where are the rumors being generated? I've heard a lot about this supposed redesign, but no evidence to show for it.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
If Steve said that back in 2010, then why didn't the 2011 MacBook Pros get a redesign? Who's to say that the redesign will come this year? I understand that thinner MacBook Pros are the next logical step in the evolution of the computer. I don't doubt that fact and it wasn't my question. My question is: where are the rumors being generated? I've heard a lot about this supposed redesign, but no evidence to show for it.

Steve Jobs wasn't implying the immediate future. The MBP's were not ready to get the MBA treatment last year because SSDs were still too expensive. But SSD prices have become more affordable now and the majority of consumers do not need an optical drive 24/7 thanks to the ubiquity of S/W downloads, YouTube and dropbox type services, and USB thumb drives.

It's rumors plus logic. If we don't see it with the next bump then surely the "late 2012 model". Apple going all download last summer for Mac Apps is a sure signal the era of optical drive free Macs is upon us.

ConnorTurnbull

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
United Kingdom
I went through the Ivy Bridge specs and came up with the likely next-generation CPUs for each Mac here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtfm8IDnILc

However, I now reckon we won't see any MacBook Air before the summer. The Air seems like Apple's "OS X notebook" being used heavily in promos of Apple's operating systems and launching around the same time as them. 2010 MBAs were launched alongside Lion announcement, 2011 MBAs alongside Lion release so I think we'll see 2012 MBAs shipping with Mountain Lion.

MarkBubba

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I live in my house.
MacBook Pro 13" High Resolution Display PLEASE!!

Dear Apple, PLEASE give us a 13" MacBook Pro (MBA won't cut it) with a HIGH RESOLUTION DISPLAY option because 1280 x 800 SUCKS and it's INFERIOR to lower-cost PC offerings with HD displays on the market, even though Macs still kick PC butt; take out the optical drive (I already have an external if I need it) and give us SSD + 2nd hard drive option (1Tb data drive would be nice)... it's time for you to listen to your customers since we ultimately throw our hard-earned cash into your deeply-rooted pockets!!

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
This reminds me of how to deal with rumors.

You are hearing a bad rumor?

Don't get excited.

Wait two days.

And everything will be OK.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Wait a minute, would this mean that digitimes, a notoriously inaccurate news source, was wrong? ;)
It was doomed to begin with.

Yup, its built into the chipset and motherboards so if apple going to have any USB ports then it will be USB 3
USB 3.0 support was never an issue with the BOM or PCB space if they were willing to slap the original massive Thunderbolt controller on there. Everyone else jumped onto the original PCIe x1 USB 3.0 controller bandwagon.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
whats the status of what apple is likely to use in the mac pro update (if there is one)
Ivy Bridge-E is out there in Q3 or into 2013. Anything based on LGA 1155 is just an incremental process node bump and a drop down to 16/20 available PCIe 3.0 lanes. LGA 1356 is not out yet either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.