Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
It seems like everyone is talking about ebay unlocks now. Does that mean that dev.mk's info was incorrect? Both of my subsidized iPhone 5s showed up as unlocked on dev.mk.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
It seems like everyone is talking about ebay unlocks now. Does that mean that dev.mk's info was incorrect? Both of my subsidized iPhone 5s showed up as unlocked on dev.mk.
Yes their data appears to be broken.

You should try alternate IMEI lookup sites. There are many. Here is one that is correctly reporting my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S status as locked and both are locked!

http://iphoneox.com/

Dave

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Can you use the att unlock ebay service for a verizon iphone?

Last edited:

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA

You should try alternate IMEI lookup sites. There are many. Here is one that is correctly reporting my iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S status as locked and both are locked!

Dave

My sprint iPhone 4s says lock unknown on that website. What does that mean? It was bought non contract from the Apple store last year. They had made a mistake on their website for a couple of hours sold sprint non contract iPhones at subsidized pricing.

Last edited:

badassdes

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
USA
I have a question when you are going to do the 'restore process' using the UnlockFusion method, do you restore as a new phone or from the last back up? ...This is for my iPhone 5.

Edit: Nevermind.... I read the instructions again. "Do a backup, Do a Restore"

Last edited:

illutionz

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Rhode Island
I have a question when you are going to do the 'restore process' using the UnlockFusion method, do you restore as a new phone or from the last back up? ...This is for my iPhone 5.

I didn't use UnlockFusion but the other link... but I assume it's the same process. I did restore from the last backup and it still show up as unlocked.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
My sprint iPhone 4s says lock unknown on that website. What does that mean? It was bought non contract from the Apple store last year. They had made a mistake on their website for a couple of hours sold sprint non contract iPhones at subsidized pricing.

My 4S, on contract AT&T, is correctly showing as locked. The subsidized iPhone 5 that was showing up as unlocked on dev.mk shows up as unknown on iphoneox.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
For those wondering, I purchased an unlock from "unlock_fusion" for $10 last night before going to bed. Woke up this morning, restored iPhone 5 and got the congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked message. Will be trying with a tmobile nanosim soon enough to make sure.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
For those wondering, I purchased an unlock from "unlock_fusion" for $10 last night before going to bed. Woke up this morning, restored iPhone 5 and got the congratulations your iPhone is now unlocked message. Will be trying with a tmobile nanosim soon enough to make sure.

I used unlock_fusion this morning. Did you get an email from them before restoring? I'm still waiting for email. Also iPhone 5, BTW.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
I used unlock_fusion this morning. Did you get an email from them before restoring? I'm still waiting for email. Also iPhone 5, BTW.

I never did. I just signed into the email link they send you to get your imei info and on the status it said completed/unlocked. So just check that because according to their time frame it was completed within minutes of me purchasing it.

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
I never did. I just signed into the email link they send you to get your imei info and on the status it said completed/unlocked. So just check that because according to their time frame it was completed within minutes of me purchasing it.

Ah, I see...yes, I'm unlocked according to their site. Restoring now.

Edit: sweet, my "on AT&T contract" iPhone 5 is now unlocked. Why was this so hard a year ago?

Last edited:

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Hmm my 32gb white AT&T iPhone 5 is also a MDxxxLL. I ran it in dev.mk and it shows mine is unlocked. I think I'll cut down my Orange-IL sim card and see if it works in my 5.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So, these sites offering an unlock for $10...

What's the catch? How are they pulling this off? You'd think AT&T would have something to say about this.

I'm very tempted, even though I don't plan on traveling anytime soon... simply because if there's some loophole they're exploiting, it might be closed before I DO need an unlock, at which point I won't be able to unlock it anymore.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I cut down my foreign SIM card and put it in the nanoSIM tray.

This is what I got:

2D3C6B15-A43B-40AE-9DC8-E77DEF591B31-291-000000133DAA8579.jpg

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
So, these sites offering an unlock for $10...
What's the catch? How are they pulling this off? You'd think AT&T would have something to say about this.

From the Cydia blog:
"All these guys have actual access to the Apple database (or) have a solid contact within AT&T who does have access to it. To permanently remove carrier restrictions, they simple add your iPhone IMEI number in a white-list database of unlocked iPhones."

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Is this true?

that would be awesome, only Sprint left out then.

For unlock reason alone I am plan on jumping to Verizon (and of course better LTE coverage)

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
looking forward to the jailbreak strictly for the unrestricted function I know they will find the exploit they always do... iOS 6 is nice though

me too, me toooooo

----------

Dave

it says it is locked, but mine is unlocked its a verizon phone lol

Ekimalito

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
I don't know what to say... I got two iPhones from AT&T and one of them was bought full price but the other one wasn't. I called AT&T and requested the unlock for the one that was bought full price. For the second iPhone I was trying to get them to unlock it to see if it would slip by and he said he couldn't unlock it for me.

The thing is that at the very end of the day I cut my SIM from a foreign company and the phone turned out to be unlocked. I don't know if the guy unlocked both or if this was just some kind of a miracle... After that I went and did some research using DEV.mk and checked about 10 IMEIs from eBay sellers who posted pictures of their boxes with the IMEI on. All came back as unlocked on Dev.Mk

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
I agree, the factory unlocked iPhones are not “officially” sold at launch. However, if you buy a device-only iPhone (AT&T or Verizon, it seems) from the Apple store, they process it as a factory unlocked phone.

I am also talking about the device-only iPhone at full-price from the Apple Store.

I had done same thing with my 4S last year. I bought it 2 days after the 4S launch as a device-only AT&T iPhone. I paid full-price, and it came factory unlocked.

Is there some tricky to being able to buy a device-only like that? I was told that only contract phones are sold for the first month.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Dev.mk seems to be broken. In fact, I have yet to find a reliable IMEI checker for the iPhone 5. All of them seem to have incorrect information. (Keep in mind, it's a 50% chance of being right...even if it doesn't know the real answer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.