Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
if i buy a full price Att phone with no contract, will i be able to unlock it without activating first via itunes ?

From what I've read on the forums (and from my experience last year with the 4S), if you buy a device-only iPhone 5 from the Apple Store, it will come factory unlocked. So, if you pay full price for the iPhone, you shouldn't need to unlock it as it'll already be unlocked.

I plan on buying one today to see if it works.

mascarato

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
From what I've read on the forums (and from my experience last year with the 4S), if you buy a device-only iPhone 5 from the Apple Store, it will come factory unlocked. So, if you pay full price for the iPhone, you shouldn't need to unlock it as it'll already be unlocked.

I plan on buying one today to see if it works.

the unlocked iphones usually are not sold upon launch...

i guess they will in a few weeks, i was referring to device only from ATT with no contract (full price)

Jdsolid1

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Unfortunately you won't be able to use the AT&T phones on Verizon even if they are unlocked. The AT&T models don't have the CDMA radio activated, which is necessary to use Verizon's voice and 3G data networks. The Verizon model works on AT&T because it has the GSM radio activated (which it needs n order to roam overseas).

However, the good news is that if you switch to Verizon, the iPhone 5 you get from them will be unlocked so you can use a local SIM overseas, or for that matter even an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM here.

If I stay with AT&T will I have any problems unlocking it when I haven't opened the phone yet. Also as I said before the phone is not active right now. Reason is because I'm thinking about selling it and know the unlocked phone is worth more

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If I stay with AT&T will I have any problems unlocking it when I haven't opened the phone yet. Also as I said before the phone is not active right now. Reason is because I'm thinking about selling it and know the unlocked phone is worth more

I think if you return the unopened phone your contract with AT&T will revert to off-contract status. You may need to call AT&T to ensure that it happens.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
the unlocked iphones usually are not sold upon launch...

i guess they will in a few weeks, i was referring to device only from ATT with no contract (full price)

I agree, the factory unlocked iPhones are not “officially” sold at launch. However, if you buy a device-only iPhone (AT&T or Verizon, it seems) from the Apple store, they process it as a factory unlocked phone.

I am also talking about the device-only iPhone at full-price from the Apple Store.

I had done same thing with my 4S last year. I bought it 2 days after the 4S launch as a device-only AT&T iPhone. I paid full-price, and it came factory unlocked.

corey407woc

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I ordered one, too. Has your unlock on your 4 and 4S stayed permanent? One negative review says his phone became "re-locked."

i sold all those phones on craigslist to increase the value i haven't heard from the buyers and its been a month im assuming they are still unlocked.

mascarato

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I agree, the factory unlocked iPhones are not “officially” sold at launch. However, if you buy a device-only iPhone (AT&T or Verizon, it seems) from the Apple store, they process it as a factory unlocked phone.

I am also talking about the device-only iPhone at full-price from the Apple Store.

I had done same thing with my 4S last year. I bought it 2 days after the 4S launch as a device-only AT&T iPhone. I paid full-price, and it came factory unlocked.

Well if you buy it today, please let us know how it goes!

Also wondering if the verizon ones are the same...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Would it be worth getting the unlock even if I had no immediate plans to travel overseas or resell it?

Just for future purposes?

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Yes, if/when you resell your iPhone 5, an unlocked and jail broken one will fetch more money.

Please help! If I wanted to sell my iPhone 4s jailbroken what would be the best way to remove all my personal information? I believe you wouldn't be able to restore and re-jailbreak because since iOS 6 is out and they are no longer signing 5.1.1.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Please help! If I wanted to sell my iPhone 4s jailbroken what would be the best way to remove all my personal information? I believe you wouldn't be able to restore and re-jailbreak because since iOS 6 is out and they are no longer signing 5.1.1.

Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008

Make sure you stay on 5.1.1, too, since the iOS 6 jailbreak likely won't be released for a while.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings

But wouldnt that erase the jailbreak too? If I were to erase all content would it still be on 5.1.1 so I can re-jailbreak it? Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to be forced to update to iOS 6 and not be able to re-jailbreak plus I am using a r-sim III for unlock baseband 2.0.12 I just want to remove all my personal info and keep the jailbreak and un-lock. Thanks for the help.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
But wouldnt that erase the jailbreak too? If I were to erase all content would it still be on 5.1.1 so I can re-jailbreak it? Sorry for so many questions but I don't want to be forced to update to iOS 6 and not be able to re-jailbreak plus I am using a r-sim III for unlock baseband 2.0.12 I just want to remove all my personal info and keep the jailbreak and un-lock. Thanks for the help.

You cant do an erase all on a JB iphone.
Past 5.0 it will just error out and wont erase anything.
On anything below 5.0 ios it will be stuck on the apple logo and need a dfu restore.

doxielover

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2011
CA
You cant do an erase all on a JB iphone.
Past 5.0 it will just error out and wont erase anything.
On anything below 5.0 ios it will be stuck on the apple logo and need a dfu restore.

So what's the best way to remove my personal info before selling while maintaining the JB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.