Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

demisb

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2013
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. I bought a black HTC One several weeks ago. I did so primarily because I was bored with my iPhone and wanted to see what Android was all about. For whatever its worth, here's my take. Mind you, some of my observations have little to do with the HTC One and/or Sense UI; they are specific to Android OS phones in general.

Also, I should preface myself by saying that I am not trolling. Feel free to read through one of my many posts throughout the years I've been on this site. I have a 15" Retina Display MBP, iPad Mini and Apple TV. I have also owned every model of iPhone since standing in line for the better part of a day when they were first released. I am essentially an Apple guy.

Anyway. Here's where I'm at with this HTC One.....

Strengths:

- Outstanding build. I love the look and feel of the HTC One. Dare I say it looks
like something Apple may have built? One of the problems I've had with Android phones is the build quality. I'm not down with the plastic on the S4 and the glittery black on the back of the Nexus 4. Stuff like this make a phone look cheap IMO.

- 4.7" display. .....most of the time. When I'm not driving, I love the 4.7" display. The extra real estate makes using this phone more enjoyable. That said, there are those times when I'm driving around that I wish I had a 4' display. :) I'm wondering what this phone would be like at 4.5"?

- Speakers rock! The dual speakers on the One are arguably the best speakers on any phone available.

- BlinkFeed. Love it. Love it. Love it. I am coming to find that BlinkFeed is either a love or hate relationship but include me in the "love it" camp. What can I say. I'm a news junkie and BlinkFeed is like heroin. "Nuff said. For those of you that don't like it, I can foresee an update from HTC that provides the ability to disable it.

- Lock Screen. I like the option of having different types of lock screens (wallpaper, productivity, photos, music or none). I also like being able to pull down my notifications menu from the lock screen.

- Home screen. BlinkFeed, time and weather. Perfect. Simply perfect. By the way, the weather app is cool and seems to be pretty darn accurate.

- Notifications. I'm sure that part of this has to do with the larger display but notifications are clearly displayed and the ability to swipe individual notifications off the screen is a nice feature.

- Customization. This is a really broad topic but Android devices are *obviously* much more customizable. From live wallpapers to widgets, you can make your phone truly *your* phone. My current setup is as follows. Screen 1 is obviously Blink Fee. Screen 2 has a calendar widget and various toggle widgets including Brightness, Wi-Fi, Hotspot and Sync All. Screen 3 has sticky note widgets. That's it. That's my setup. Where are the app icons? Read the next item. By the way. Don't like my setup? No problem. Create your own. That's part of the beauty of Android OS. .....and no. Moving an app icon from one screen to another on your iPhone is not customization.

- App drawer. One of my biggest complaints about iOS is that when you download an app, the icon for said app will populate to one of your screens. There is no way around this. Sure, you can put 'em in folders or whatever but the reality is that they are still there. The problem with this is that my iPhone is littered with app icons. Three pages of app icons. Yucky. Messy. Cluttered. On my One, I simply depress the center app drawer icon on my dock and there they are all in glorious alphabetical order. Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Furthermore, I can choose "Hide Apps" from within settings and have seldom used apps not even show up in the app drawer. This app drawer thing is *huge* for me as I am an organizational freak.

Weaknesses:

- No universal search feature. You can't blame this on Android devices 'cause Apple has a patent on it so they are between a rock and a hard place but I do miss this feature.

- Google Play. Don't get me wrong, Google Play gets the job done. It really does. That said, after using it for a couple weeks you see the advantage of having apps pass a stringent approval process. A lot of the apps in Google Play are utter crap and should be pulled immediately. Not to mention those apps that do nothing more than litter your notification center with ads.

- Camera. I think HTC could have knocked this ball out of the park if they had included a better camera. It's simply not up to par with the iPhone camera. Furthermore, good luck texting or emailing one of those HD videos you take. Can't be done because the file size is too big. IMO this is the One's weakest link. If there is any redeeming quality, it is the Zoe. The way the One takes your stills and Zoe's and puts them into an event that automatically produces a 30 second video complete with sound and effects is awesome.

That's all I can think of for now. The bottom line for me is that the pluses outweigh the minuses so for now I'm sticking with the HTC One.

Great reading, and nice to see you' re enjoying Android and one of it's newest flagships:thumbup:

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
It's not that it's difficult that's probably the wrong choice of word. I don't find anything on a phone " difficult " I'm quite good with most tech, and am familiar with most mobile platforms - Android, iOS and now Windows Phone.

I think that android struggles to be as fluent and easy to use. You may not be able to understand this, if you work in a certain job. For me, it's because of the tasks I want my phone to perform. Don't worry I'm not bagging android, it's an excellent platform. As a phone I'll take windows.

Reason being, I use my mobile device at work on site, when I want to use my phone it's got a large phone button, and a large text button, the settings are all organised, neat & tidy and the tiles look great and are just easy to swipe through, I don't particularly enjoy the app drawer organisation of android.

I suppose this is possible to do with any phone, but after actually experiencing windows on a mobile device, I have to said I enjoy using the tiles more than the app drawer. This would be a pain for someone who uses their mobile for heaps of media consumption, apps etc. me I use my device more for emails, phonecalls above all else, texting & simple things like xbox & nokia Music... navigation, this phone makes it incredibly easy while maintaing a fluent & simple organised interface.

I'm not biased, I owned and returned the HTC one, played around with the Gs4, the iphone 5, note two.... I've done and used every mobile operating system and had the chance to enjoy each one. Windows is best for me :)

On the other hand I get turned off the moment I see those tiles. Waste of space in my opinion.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
- No universal search feature. You can't blame this on Android devices 'cause Apple has a patent on it so they are between a rock and a hard place but I do miss this feature.

Really? I'm not doubting you, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Are there any articles or forum discussions on this topic? I'd love to read this patent, it'd be interesting to see exactly what Apple has patented.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Really? I'm not doubting you, but this is the first time I've heard of this. Are there any articles or forum discussions on this topic? I'd love to read this patent, it'd be interesting to see exactly what Apple has patented.

By universal search does he mean search your phone as well as internet? Because it does indeed do that..

Here is a quick search for run and see how it shows content on my phone..

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1369551911154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1369551911154.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 99

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
Picked up my HTC One on Friday and here are my initial thoughts:

Design: Far and away the best looking phone I've ever used. Sits in the hand perfectly, the increased size (Coming from a 4S) isn't an issue at all. It's stunningly good looking. Fit and finish is perfect. Lock screen button placement will take a bit of getting used to.

Battery: I caned the battery from 8am yesterday with games and music and it lasted me until 7pm. Can't fault it, but will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Features: Best speakers on a phone, love them, and the screen is amazing too. Blinkfeed is a slight annoyance, but I've tucked it into a dark corner of my homescreens, so it's about as much of an annoyance as Siri is. The camera is plenty good enough (I'm no David Bailey, nor will I pretend to be, unlike many a basher on these forums). Speedwise, this thing is a beast, but that goes without saying. It's extremely fluid. Android is perfectly good these days, it's certainly come a long way since I last owned an Android device, which was the original HTC Desire.

Overall, I'm really pleased with it. I won't get into an Android vs iOS debate because if it's good enough, it's good enough, and Android is certainly there now. But the HTC One really brings back memories of the original Motorola Razr. Such a clean design and fantastic feel in the hand, love it.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Maybe somebody can explain this to me. Why do I have to **** videos at 176 x 144 in order to text then? Never was an issue with my iPhone. iOS compresses videos before sending them but the quality is still excellent. At 176 x 144 they're barely discernable.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Maybe somebody can explain this to me. Why do I have to **** videos at 176 x 144 in order to text then? Never was an issue with my iPhone. iOS compresses videos before sending them but the quality is still excellent. At 176 x 144 they're barely discernable.

Perhaps because ios uses the iMessage service over a data or wifi connection to send that large file, while your android device is making it small to send it over cellular network as a MMS message.

In other words, don't expect iMessage like functionality. Download a social messaging app and use that instead.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
Perhaps because ios uses the iMessage service over a data or wifi connection to send that large file, while your android device is making it small to send it over cellular network as a MMS message.

In other words, don't expect iMessage like functionality. Download a social messaging app and use that instead.
Not true. I've ran my iPhone without iMessage turned on and I was able to text decent video files to both iPhone and Android users. Furthermore, I did it over 4G LTE. This leads me to believe that limiting of file size is either an Android thing or an HTC thing. I don't expect iMessage functionality but I do expect to be able to text videos that the receiver can actually watch. As you can tell, I like this phone but this issue has left me perplexed.

Are you recommending an alternative texting app that doesn't limit file size? if so, I'm down with that. Any suggestions?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not true. I've ran my iPhone without iMessage turned on and I was able to text decent video files to both iPhone and Android users. Furthermore, I did it over 4G LTE. This leads me to believe that limiting of file size is either an Android thing or an HTC thing. I don't expect iMessage functionality but I do expect to be able to text videos that the receiver can actually watch. As you can tell, I like this phone but this issue has left me perplexed.

Are you recommending an alternative texting app that doesn't limit file size? if so, I'm down with that. Any suggestions?

What's App or google hangouts perhaps.

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
What's App or google hangouts perhaps.
Hmmmmm. There are so many things I like about this HTC One but this may be a make-or-break deal for me. Texting video files of good quality should be a basic function of a smartphone and is something I did regularly from my iPhone. I have read *numerous* posts on *numerous* forums and the bottom line appears to be that you *cannot* text decent video files from an Android phone. All videos need to be degraded to MMS quality. Those within the Android community who have responded to queries such as mine have stated that Apple does the same thing by simply compressing the video before sending it. Yeah. They compress it but it still looks really really good on the receiving end of things. I have no interest in sending somebody a link to a video or uploading to an alternate site. I want to text the video file! If someone can prove me wrong; I stand corrected. If not, IMO this is a fail of epic proportions for Android.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hmmmmm. There are so many things I like about this HTC One but this may be a make-or-break deal for me. Texting video files of good quality should be a basic function of a smartphone and is something I did regularly from my iPhone. I have read *numerous* posts on *numerous* forums and the bottom line appears to be that you *cannot* text decent video files from an Android phone. All videos need to be degraded to MMS quality. Those within the Android community who have responded to queries such as mine have stated that Apple does the same thing by simply compressing the video before sending it. Yeah. They compress it but it still looks really really good on the receiving end of things. I have no interest in sending somebody a link to a video or uploading to an alternate site. I want to text the video file! If someone can prove me wrong; I stand corrected. If not, IMO this is a fail of epic proportions for Android.

I am not sure how this works but a couple of decent reviews on other sites: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ravidapp.videomessenger

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Nice find! The app doesn't allow you to send MMS but it does send an email with a link. Not bad. Not the same but not bad and props to you for suggesting this app.

As I said, I was not sure how this worked as I have not tried it, but this app does not get over one of your primary objections which was sending an email link :)

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
This isn't an Android problem, per se (the limiting of file sizes on picture or video MMS). The reason you get better quality MMS on the iPhone (even before iMessage) is because AT&T gave Apple a sweet deal when they were the lone carrier of the iPhone. Hopefully, eventually, Android will build up enough clout to demand the same type of deal.

It's the one thing that drives me crazy about Android as opposed to iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and I use Android. If she sends me a MMS, the picture is large and barely compressed. If I send her one, however, the quality of the picture is usually crap. It's annoying as heck, but the overall experience of Android devices makes it worth it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Nice find! The app doesn't allow you to send MMS but it does send an email with a link. Not bad. Not the same but not bad and props to you for suggesting this app.

Would Dropbox suffice? Can you not upload video clip to Dropbox and then message the folks the link to it?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Unfortunately I am not able to as I don't use that feature often :(

I guess that is another must have in google hangouts. Time to make a suggestion.

If that is very important to you though I guess your best choice is to use an iPhone. Needs before wants :)

skinnylegs

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2006
San Diego
This isn't an Android problem, per se (the limiting of file sizes on picture or video MMS). The reason you get better quality MMS on the iPhone (even before iMessage) is because AT&T gave Apple a sweet deal when they were the lone carrier of the iPhone. Hopefully, eventually, Android will build up enough clout to demand the same type of deal.

It's the one thing that drives me crazy about Android as opposed to iPhone. My wife has an iPhone and I use Android. If she sends me a MMS, the picture is large and barely compressed. If I send her one, however, the quality of the picture is usually crap. It's annoying as heck, but the overall experience of Android devices makes it worth it.
Thank you for explaining this to me. Now it makes complete sense. :)

----------

Would Dropbox suffice? Can you not upload video clip to Dropbox and then message the folks the link to it?
Hmmmm. That sounds like a good idea. I have DropBox. Use it for my company files but have never used it for pics. Gonna look into that right now. Ravid gets the job done but requires sending an email. I'd prefer a link in a text message to an email. Thanks!

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I think I'm dumping my iPhone 5 and my reasons are small screen and the lack of not being able to use call blocking programs.

Also some of the programs like drop of are better on android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.