Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluush

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
I'm sitting here POWERGRIPPING my phone for the last few min, 5 bars still.

THIS IS THE FIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
Anyone figure out why gripping it would impact the phone if this SIM card alignment is indeed the issue? Is it just that holding it tightly makes metal and the touch squeeze so they touch? If so, wouldnt it be cause gripping it elsewhere? Why only on the seams?

Not trying to rain on a parade because I would love nothing more than a quick fix. But trying to play devil's advocate to make sure all angles are considered.

Glad it has helped some people so far.

BlueWave

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Just like to suggest that this has nothing to do with the actual location of the SIM card, including whether or not it is touching the tray, but more the relation between re-inserting the SIM card and the frequency switching the phone uses.

I just can't see how the SIM card could cause/fix reception issue

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You’re doing a lot of extrapolating to come to that conclusion. I’m not saying this won’t be the fix, but more testing is needed. Jav, post this stuff in the Apple website, okay? Also, I wouldn’t recommend people trimming the sim card. Jav, didn’t trim anything, and his worked.

Posted on Apple's forums...

Here is the link Click Me

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
has anyone else noticed a coating on the sim tray where the sim card lies? Maybe this coating wasn't properly applied?

catmistake

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
Welp, it was a fun experiment while it lasted, but all I have accomplished is creating three videos (before, after, and after) that confirm that this does NOT work. Oh well, onwards and upwards...

o_O

thread is growing faster than I can keep up with positive results... too bad for those fools you already confirmed it

leca931

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
A Sim Problem

I tried the procedure of removing the SIM and did notice that the SIM's medal part is not aligned to fit exactly in the middle of the SIM tray,so I added scotch tape to the lower portion of the medal part of the SIM that is coming in contact with the SIM tray medal and this seems to have fixed the problems of dropped calls and loss of signal strength,have not experienced loss of signal strength or dropped calls while holding the iphone with my left hand on the lower left side of the unit or anywhere else for that matter.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
For those who have had their issue fixed, please keep track and report back if reception problems return. So far it cannot be ruled out that you have just temporarily boosted your signal. I hope for the best though!

silroc

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
two attempts at 5 minutes and fail

but i do see that the SIM is not centered in the tray due to the way the sim was CUT from the factory -

it almost seems like the whole left edge touches the metal sim tray?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
It would be nice if someone could annotate a pic to explain what you guys mean by “touching the frame.” Also, am I the only one that thinks all these pics look the same?

I’m surprised Jav was able to figure this out after he lost his powers and became a mere mortal. :)

shawntkeating

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2010
NJ
I am grinning right now. I wonder what Apple is thinking about this. I emailed Jobs about what I found, I wonder if he will even bother answering.

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Here's what I've got so far, bear with me using rmwhite's picture as the demo (thanks for the pic):

What seems to be the evidence so far that this could potentially (that's my disclaimer word, you know) is the issue and the fix is that it seems like many people, when looking at their microSIM cards and the trays they're mounted in, have noted that in some instances the actual contacts of the microSIM itself could be coming into contact with the microSIM tray itself, which is made of metal as well, and causing a short. Here's a picture of what I mean:

simshort.jpg

The circled area, which appears as the vertical grayish-line, is the 'gap' between the side of the microSIM tray and the microSIM contacts - if there's nothing in there and the contacts are touching the microSIM tray or even so close that some electrical bridging is happening, that could be the reason why the problems are happening, and also why when some people "grip" the phone tighter they are literally closing that gap or causing it to decrease in width.

This could be the answer, folks...

ps
Just for the record: the microSIM in my iPhone 4 actually has a decent gap in there, and I placed a tiny sliver of notebook paper (and I do mean tiny) that wrapped around the bottom edge of the microSIM, completely covering the entire side, and barely edged over the top so the contacts were not affected when it's inserted, and still I have issues so...

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
so just in/out hasn't helped me with my microcell, yet.

here's my sim which does appear to contact the metal frame. I did scotch tape on the affected side which didn't work. don't think I have electrical tape handy though

arn

Attachments

• simarn.jpg
    simarn.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 116

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Just like to suggest that this has nothing to do with the actual location of the SIM card, including whether or not it is touching the tray, but more the relation between reinserting the SIM card and the frequency switching the phone uses.

I just can't see how the SIM card could cause/fix reception issue

Due to the antenna design, the SIM card tray is right in the middle of the antenna.

My Guess! If incorrectly inserted, the SIM card tray causes a short INSIDE the phone. When you touch the bottom left of the phone (i.e. the case), this links up with the antenna resulting in interference due to that shorting.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I’m surprised Jav was able to figure this out after he lost his powers and became a mere mortal. :)

Well, just like in Disney's Hercules, I still have a drop of power left. ;)

so this hasn't helped me with my microcell.

here's my sim which does appear to contact the metal frame. I even did scotch tape. don't think I have electrical tape handy though

arn

Keep trying arn, many people here report it isn't a 1 shot thing anyways.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Anyone figure out why gripping it would impact the phone if this SIM card alignment is indeed the issue? Is it just that holding it tightly makes metal and the touch squeeze so they touch? If so, wouldnt it be cause gripping it elsewhere? Why only on the seams?

Not trying to rain on a parade because I would love nothing more than a quick fix. But trying to play devil's advocate to make sure all angles are considered.

Glad it has helped some people so far.

Most likely because you are bridging two antennas that shouldn't really be bridged, but coupled with the fact the sim is touching this metal you would most likely be shorting something out.

Remember that electric currents etc will always take the quickest route if that is through a sim card then so be it.

wolfattack

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
wow, this is slightly surprising. I tried about 4 or 5 times and it was just as bad if not worse by just trying to reposition the sim, and eventually I put a tiny sliver of black electrical tape on the edge of my sim card like a previous poster did, and now my phone is only going down 1 bar, and i am sitting in the EXACT same spot in my apartment as when just 5 minutes ago it was dropping to 1 bar in about 25 seconds.

I want to see if I can get it to stay at 5 bar and not drop any by messing with the tape some more, but now i am scared to screw with it again, haha.

SpyderDriver

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Does anyone have a sim from a 3G iPad to compare how it is positioned when laying in the iPhone's sim tray? I am curious if it touches also.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
I assue the take doesnt have an ill effect on the sim. I am worried about tape residue and what not

Did it not work until you put tape on it?

I too was worried about residue and was very strategic with how I places the tape. The tape is on the sim, not the tray.

centerline15

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
I truly can't believe this worked!

The first time I tried this I partially ejected the SIM card, turned off the phone, and waited 15 minutes.

I reinserted the SIM after waiting, and then turned on the phone. I was able to make the phone drop down to no bars consistently using the death grip. Full bars to no bars every time I tried ( I did this about 15 times).

I then read the post about having to wait twenty minutes, and thought I would try again without waiting. This time I took the SIM all the way out, turned off the phone, and reposistioned it. After no wait, I reinserted the SIM and turned the phone back on. Now, I cannot get the signal to drop no matter how I hold it!

I keep trying to make them drop with the deathgrip and trying to cover all the seams. Nothing! Full bars and it won't budge. I even placed a call and tried to make it drop or get the bars to drop. Full bars still.

Amazing fix! Thanks OP!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.