Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Maybe its just another car that has lost its track coz of Apple Maps :D

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
By all means for Apple to improve their maps app, but knowing Apple as the follower in this technology I wonder how they can improve the street view other then a copycat of an already and widely available street view in google earth.
And i'm not just talking about the maps in US street view, but all over the world.

Its really simple. Streetview is tedious and cumbersome to navigate around. Flyover is quick to use but the resolution captured from the air is low. Solution: use car mounted LIDAR and cameras to increase Flyover resolution at ground level. No 'copycat' is needed.

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
Driverless cars...people will contrive to have accidents with them to claim insurance. Yobs will trash them, and throw things in their way just for fun. When in accidents, passengers will sue the manufacturers. The OS will crash or be hacked. So open to abuse. Difficult to see how they will have a place in regular driving conditions.

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
While Google Streetview is a bit of a gimmick it does have some value at looking around to get your bearings somewhere new, the real benefit to these camera cars is to get accurate local ground truth such as sign placements, speed information, point of interest locations etc. If Apple took on more data from OSM and combined with their existing data from TomTom and their own ground truth vehicles their maps could easily match the quality of Google.

A driverless car is a bit useless without accurate mapping and POI data so I very much doubt it's that. Apple can't go down that route until they resolve the above.

If this vehicle is for the Apple equivalent of street view, or even just for giving more accurate map data then they need to roll out fast and wide. I'm talking Europe, China, etc. It's not good keeping all the juicy features confined to the US. Apple is a global brand.

A relevant article perhaps? https://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/3...eam-with-new-regional-and-local-job-listings/

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Driverless cars...people will contrive to have accidents with them to claim insurance. Yobs will trash them, and throw things in their way just for fun. When in accidents, passengers will sue the manufacturers. The OS will crash or be hacked. So open to abuse. Difficult to see how they will have a place in regular driving conditions.

All the above (apart from the hacking) already happens. Cars are open to abuse, and are abused regularly every day on every street. Human drivers are idiots who make roads unsafe and cause congestion by impatient driving. Given time and technology refinements it will be the erratic human drivers who will be most vulnerable to yobs and lawsuits.

T-R-S

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2010
Silicon Valley
Apple really needs to improve their map. I have a home in San Francisco and today I was driving down Geary Blvd and Apple Maps was telling to make a left where a left turn was not allowed. This happens to me a lot in S.F.
The same thing happens on Market Street downtown as well.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
They definitely should've gone with a Lambo. Very inconspicuous.

Yes of course, if they are "street mapping" then they definitely a super fast car..... This way they can take nice blurry pictures... Dodge Caravan would only shoot clear pictures - how boring...

/s

Mercifull

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
Am I reading that wrong, or does it make no sense whatsoever?

Yeah to me that feels like clutching at the clutchiest of straws. If Apple were involved they would just be a silent partner, the car itself wouldn't have been leased to them as surely that would breach the licence.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
It benefits everyone if apple would just get over its silly hissy fit with google and worked together.

Google has years head start and so far I havent seen anything better from apple. They could have spent that money on actually improving things that need improving .

Well I don't believe apple sell my maps searches for a start which is kind of an improvement...

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Yeah to me that feels like clutching at the clutchiest of straws. If Apple were involved they would just be a silent partner, the car itself wouldn't have been leased to them as surely that would breach the licence.

I actually meant literally - How can you have a partnership that allows you to do something without a partner?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
It benefits everyone if apple would just get over its silly hissy fit with google and worked together.

Google has years head start and so far I havent seen anything better from apple. They could have spent that money on actually improving things that need improving .

"Competition is good... as long as you're not competing with Google".

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell I'm letting Google Maps battery draining, privacy invading, software near my iPhone. Apple maps works really well here and the interface and usability is miles ahead of Google's offering. The CarPlay integration is slick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.