Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
This may be different than streetview. With streetview the cameras are located in a spherical enclosure. Using this setup, which was designed before Google started using Lidar, panoramas (photo bubbles) are created at intervals. The user then navigates from one panorama to the next panorama. Useful but not the best experience.

Compare that to Apple's setup. The cameras are at the corners of the roof rack. This, combined with the Lidar should allow Apple to create a giant 3d model where the user can seamlessly navigate from one position to the next (along the roadway of course). Think of it as street level flyover. This could get interesting.

Also notice the contraption on the rear wheel. I suspect that this is a device that tracks the distance between the axel and the body of the van. By using such a tool, you can accurately track the position of the rack from the ground in order to get more accurate data for a 3d model.

Edit: On closer inspection of photos on page 5 of the comments, it looks like the wheel 'contraption' is for accurate measurement of the wheel rotation and not distance between the body and the wheel. That makes sense as the Lidar and gyroscopes should give you accurate positional information.

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And it would've been funny if it was something like:
"You know if Apple made a car, no matter how much improved it got over time... it would always have the same mpg rating! =P"

Get it? Because iPhone and iPad battery life never change. See... it's based on something real, hence = humor. That's how that works. If I said "you'd get flat tires a lot" or something stupid like that... it would not make sense. See... because that's not something Apple is known for. Kind of like the OP comment about losing functionality each iteration. See... that's not funny because actually each new product adds functions. Understand now?
Btw... when someone actually writes a post using a word as silly as "derp" in it; I'm not sure "why are you being so serious?" is an appropriate response. Derp has never been used in a State of the Union address I believe for the express purpose that it radiates an aura of non-seriousness. =P
Lol, I love jokes & joking. I just thought that was a poorly constructed one.

Let it go, let it go...

-Elsa:D

The fact that you deconstructed his comment AND offered unfunny alternatives makes me question your sense of humor :)

tehe.;)

Attachments

• not funny.jpg
    not funny.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 83

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
I hope it's not street view.

Apple just doesn't know how to do mapping. It's very expensive and consumes a lot of resources and clearly Apple's penny pinching is not compatible with this.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Hey Macrumors, if you are going to even mention Rob Enderle's name in an article could you at least add that the guy's MO is to say the nuttiest things about Apple. this is what he does for a living. Self-driving car from Apple my foot.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
You obviously haven't used Apple Maps lately. It's almost as good as Google Maps now even though Google had many years of head start.

I love Apple but this just isn't true. Not only are Google's data points for locations more accurate but the application is way more feature rich. Lane notifications for intersections, in trip rerouting, and transit information are all huge additions. Apple has a long way to go before it's up to par with Google's offering.

hauntvictim

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
If anything it's at least interesting.
I rather this all be about "street view" for Apple maps.
http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/03/technology/apple-electric-car/index.html

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
That's the first thing that came to my mind. They can catch up to Google a lot faster if they have something running basically 24 hours a day.

And if that isn't enough, run them in the night as well. :confused:

This kind of operation is limited to the day time, really.

But it's not really a question of "catching up". It is a continuous effort. Your maps go out of date all the time.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Ok. Let's say your going to develop self driving car technology. Now lets sat your going to develop self driving car technology but have an unlimited amount of money. Do you lease a car or buy a car?

zoozx

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
ca
I know 1 thing for sure, Apple Mapping needs a Lot of attention to get up to speed.
This App could be so much better.

polpo

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
In August 2013 we saw a previous generation of this type of van driving around just south of the Apple campus on De Anza in Cupertino. It was a Mercedes Sprinter with similar equipment: spinning Lidar sensors at the corners, wheel speed sensor, and camera lenses around the periphery pointing straight out. Here's a picture of it:
AA1eu0K.jpg

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Apple is not one of the six companies who have a permit for testing driverless cars, but Enderle says it wouldn't matter, noting that Apple could have a partnership with a manufacturer that allows them to lease and test a driverless car without a partner.

Uh, okay. Swing your partner?

----------

This may be different than streetview. With streetview the cameras are located in a spherical enclosure. Using this setup, which was designed before Google started using Lidar, panoramas (photo bubbles) are created at intervals. The user then navigates from one panorama to the next panorama. Useful but not the best experience.

Compare that to Apple's setup. The cameras are at the corners of the roof rack. This, combined with the Lidar should allow Apple to create a giant 3d model where the user can seamlessly navigate from one position to the next (along the roadway of course). Think of it as street level flyover. This could get interesting.

Also notice the contraption on the rear wheel. I suspect that this is a device that tracks the distance between the axel and the body of the van. By using such a tool, you can accurately track the position of the rack from the ground in order to get more accurate data for a 3d model.

A real value-added comment. Thanks for this addition!

This is a test-bed for something, and because it's Apple we have to assume it isn't simply a me-too product.

The mystery to me is why Apple would lease a van rather than buy it, thus forming a breadcrumb trail back to Apple. Cash flow problems?

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
But you do sound like one.

Literally millions of people drive across these roads in between each update by Google or Apple... street mapping is 0.0000001% of the total traffic... Get over it.

And you sound like an ass. Get over it.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I have seen this car driving around Honolulu 3 times in the past week. I cannot confirm that it does or doesn't have autonomous capabilities, but I pulled up next to it out of curiosity and looked at the driver to try and see what company was operating it, and his hands were on the wheel. Also as far as I know I do not believe that Hawaii has passed any laws authorizing testing of autonomous cars in this state.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Why are they interviewing Rob Enderle? He has been connected to Microsoft in the past and should have the nickname Rob "AlwaysWrong" Enderle. He predicted that HDDVD would win. He predicted that the Zune would be a success. He predicted that PlaysforSure would overwhelm iTunes. He predicted that the Surface RT would be a success.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.