Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
It's just Apple trolling Samsung again. Let it slip Apple are developing a self driving car, Samsung will pour billions into copying them! :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Seems like maybe they're trying to have street view like google to me.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Well if Apple is going to release a car, we know it will start off huge and get thinner and thinner each year as they take away its functionality.

Yes, yes... VERY humorous.
My iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6 are sooooo much less functional that an original iPad & an iPhone 3GS.
I'm with you. I wish they wouldn't keep removing so much thick functionality & making their products less and less usable year after year. Derp dee derp, derp derp derp.

/sarcasm

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
What if they're not just cameras? What if they're building a 3D vector model at street level? Vector based mapping instead of just "stitching pictures together". Would coincide with their "Flyover". Combine the two, and it'll be years ahead of Streetview.

Interesting idea. Instead of just flying over a cityscape, you'd be able to land on the ground. Anywhere.

Like Superman! :)

Last edited:

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Well I don't believe apple sell my maps searches for a start which is kind of an improvement...

Only because no one would buy map data from Apple. We have enough accidental drownings as it is, we don't need to steer people into the oceans when they're trying to get on the freeway.

----------

That thing very well could be an apple watch 2.0 prototype.

It's slmost thick enough. And it does look more useful. And, it looks like they finally solved the 19 hour operating limit.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why on earth would Apple make a driverless car.

Unless Apple has completely lost their way in the 4 years since Steve Jobs died, I think they know enough to remain focused on just a few projects at a time. Between Apple Watch, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, and Mac, I think they've got enough on their plate for the time being. Maybe when the Watch isn't such an infant project and the iPad is stagnating like the iPod.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The most amazing thing about this story is that there are apparently people in a tech-related industry who don't know yet that Enderle is a long time well-known imbecile.

1. This car has 12 cameras, Google street view cars have 15.
2. Apple already has a map product and has continued to invest in it (e.g. buying companies).
3. Apple is very focused on what it does and does not go off on wild tangents.

And from that Enderle concludes/agrees it's a self-driving car because:

"Too many cameras," said Enderle. "It has cameras that are angled down at all four corners of the vehicle."

Gee, one can see a lot of street when panning down in Google street view. But no, surely that can't be why some of the cameras are angled down.

And even if it were as someone suggested a self-driving mapping car (that would make a lot of sense actually) he's still half an idiot because the purpose would be to map (what he says it's not for), not for Apple to develop self-driving cars.
i can't believe this thread got to forty comments before someone pointed out the most obvious aspect of this article. One of the greatest wrongologists of all time is being quoted. Just too embarrassing, macrumors.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
It benefits everyone if apple would just get over its silly hissy fit with google and worked together.

Google has years head start and so far I havent seen anything better from apple. They could have spent that money on actually improving things that need improving .

It may benefit everyone short term, but long term we benefit more from competition. Hypothetical: Apple comes out with vector based street view maps. Google improves theirs to vector based as well + some other "holy crap didn't know they could do that" implementation. Some other mapping company comes up with an innovative take. They get acquired by Apple and integrated into Maps. Everyone ups their game and we all benefit.

What ever Apple is doing, I hope it leads to something good and is something to drive the competition to come up with something even better.

----------

Yes, yes... VERY humorous.
My iPad Air 2 & iPhone 6 are sooooo much less functional that an original iPad & an iPhone 3GS.
I'm with you. I wish they wouldn't keep removing so much thick functionality & making their products less and less usable year after year. Derp dee derp, derp derp derp.

/sarcasm

Switch to decaf. It was just a joke.:D

/insert Joker-Why So Serious pic.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Not to sound like a tree hugger, but how much gasoline does it take to drive across all these roads to make the maps? Google has done it, and continues to do it, and even updates the changes that inevitably occur. Now Apple is doing it (presuming the speculations are correct)? Seems like a lot of waste.

But you do sound like one.

Literally millions of people drive across these roads in between each update by Google or Apple... street mapping is 0.0000001% of the total traffic... Get over it.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2009
They've really been improving FlyOver lately. Imagine how they could integrate it with something similar to StreetView.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
i can't believe this thread got to forty comments before someone pointed out the most obvious aspect of this article. One of the greatest wrongologists of all time is being quoted. Just too embarrassing, macrumors.

I also feel like if Apple were doing something as significant as working on self-driving cars, they would be a bit more clever about it. They wouldn't lease the car in their own name, for one. And the cameras might be more disguised, perhaps behind one-way mirrors.

I think this is just a mapping car. Apple will send out hundreds of them shortly and add street view to its Maps program by the end of the year.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If Apple is making a car - it had better have Apple Pay integration so you don't have to take your phone, apple watch or wallet out at the drive through!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
It takes many thousands of people to drive around in these cars, and there's no way to keep the hiring practice secret. Perhaps this is just to test the equipment. If Apple does do this, they'll look to improve on what Google did, and they'll pay tens of thousands of people around the world to do it.

The USA have about four million miles of road. You don't need _thousands_ of drivers to map that out. 200 drivers + 200 copilots, each doing 20,000 miles a year, is enough.

----------

You'd be complaining about them wasting money on throwing cameras on a Porsche, let's be real here.

I think Apple would want a car where lots of stuff can be mounted on the roof, and there is space to carry lots of computer equipment around.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Switch to decaf. It was just a joke.:D

/insert Joker-Why So Serious pic.

And it would've been funny if it was something like:
"You know if Apple made a car, no matter how much improved it got over time... it would always have the same mpg rating! =P"

Get it? Because iPhone and iPad battery life never change. See... it's based on something real, hence = humor. That's how that works. If I said "you'd get flat tires a lot" or something stupid like that... it would not make sense. See... because that's not something Apple is known for. Kind of like the OP comment about losing functionality each iteration. See... that's not funny because actually each new product adds functions. Understand now?
Btw... when someone actually writes a post using a word as silly as "derp" in it; I'm not sure "why are you being so serious?" is an appropriate response. Derp has never been used in a State of the Union address I believe for the express purpose that it radiates an aura of non-seriousness. =P
Lol, I love jokes & joking. I just thought that was a poorly constructed one.

----------

Only because no one would buy map data from Apple. We have enough accidental drownings as it is, we don't need to steer people into the oceans when they're trying to get on the freeway.

----------

I believe the OP meant that Apple would never sell your address SEARCH data to others, not anything to do with MAP data.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
And it would've been funny if it was something like:
"You know if Apple made a car, no matter how much improved it got over time... it would always have the same mpg rating! =P"

Get it? Because iPhone and iPad battery life never change. See... it's based on something real, hence = humor. That's how that works. If I said "you'd get flat tires a lot" or something stupid like that... it would not make sense. See... because that's not something Apple is known for. Kind of like the OP comment about losing functionality each iteration. See... that's not funny because actually each new product adds functions. Understand now?
Btw... when someone actually writes a post using a word as silly as "derp" in it; I'm not sure "why are you being so serious?" is an appropriate response. Derp has never been used in a State of the Union address I believe for the express purpose that it radiates an aura of non-seriousness. =P
Lol, I love jokes & joking. I just thought that was a poorly constructed one.

The fact that you deconstructed his comment AND offered unfunny alternatives makes me question your sense of humor :)

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Look at the technology that Apple uses for its 3D mapping projects. This project (with its many camera's) is to supplement their aired 3D mapping program.

It isn't 'street view' as in the implementation of how Google has done it (static 2D images) rather supplementing their 3D image data to provide 3D street level views within their 3D model of the world. This gives Apple the best of both worlds.

Apple isn't building a car. That isn't their MO. This isn't that.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Maybe they should work on Maps and take it out of its beta stage before pursuing street-view.

Maybe they should work on more than just one thing at a time.

----------

Its really simple. Streetview is tedious and cumbersome to navigate around. Flyover is quick to use but the resolution captured from the air is low. Solution: use car mounted LIDAR and cameras to increase Flyover resolution at ground level. No 'copycat' is needed.

Agreed. Google's QuicktimeVR approach will seem hopelessly dated soon. I'd hate to see Apple use that approach.

EthanLMT

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2015
Me in my :apple:Car: "Hey Siri, take me to 1 Infinite Loop"

Siri: "Searching iTunes for 'Rhythmic Hoop'"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.