Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm on Series 0, so will be a potential upgrade candidate for Series 3 at the end of this year. But my battery life is fine. I can get well into the second day as long as I take the watch off at night. I would like sleep tracking though.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
That's for Apple to worry about, not me. Don't think they don't read these forums and see all the calls for round faces and a thinner design. It'll get a redesign when they decide it's time. I'm just happy that my Watch will not look outdated so quickly. I have over $1,000 invested in two apple watches and bands.
I'm not asking for them to drop the current single design, just to add some different options.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
That's for Apple to worry about, not me. Don't think they don't read these forums and see all the calls for round faces and a thinner design. It'll get a redesign when they decide it's time. I'm just happy that my Watch will not look outdated so quickly. I have over $1,000 invested in two apple watches and bands.
I think the key question is "do you want 4+ days before a charge and be as bulky as the Gesr S3?" Most will say NO. You also can't get thinner and last 4 days and LTE... yet.

I prefer the current shape and size. Bigger would sell less like Gear products. No one or the minority want bigger and that is proven by the number of units sold by competitors even with round and LTE and longer battery.
[doublepost=1483459682][/doublepost]
I'm not asking for them to drop the current single design, just to add some different options.
Good point. Then others will complain that Apple needs less versions. :) I would like to see a round face but it can't be larger or it is a money loser for Apple.
[doublepost=1483459777][/doublepost]
I'm on Series 0, so will be a potential upgrade candidate for Series 3 at the end of this year. But my battery life is fine. I can get well into the second day as long as I take the watch off at night. I would like sleep tracking though.
Sleep tracking is already there by several apps and two are really good and burn 5% of battery. Even with my series 0 it would only burn 8-10% battery after 18 months. Charge when I shower is all it needs.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Tim: GrumpyHell ! Just another leak !
Phil and Greg must be behind this. Can't be Joni who's just shaving off batteries to make things thinner !
Phil: Butt, I'm secure. Don't even speak Chinese.
Greg: And I have abruptly stopped to disclose any idea's. Privacy !
Angela: Can't be me. I can only accomodate a thinner hockey-puck than we currently have.
Tim: So decisionmaking stalls again. Then it is up to me to decide.
All: And what will you do ?
Tim: As I said ! I am on the peddles now and let's keep it that way ...
_____

You forgot...

Eddie - Hey I didn't screw it up this time, I still get paid, right?

Reactions: iAmAsar

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Doubtful .. there are already plenty of quality sleep tracking apps and the battery life of the Series 2 is more than sufficient to wear while sleeping. I wear it while sleeping every night and also use it to track a workout of an hour or more each day with GPS.

I only ever charge mine in the morning while taking a shower/getting dressed and every now and then before bed.

Personally, I am glad to give me wrist a break for an hour of so each day without wearing the watch. Not sure what is gained by more battery life unless it is to power more features.

Do people really want to wear a watch for more than a day without taking it off? When you take it off, just drop it on the charger, just as easy as dropping it anywhere else. For the most part it is fully charged an hour later.
[doublepost=1483457118][/doublepost]

Why? Do you plan to wear it for 3 to 4 consecutive days without ever taking it off? If it last 23 hours a day, that is more than sufficient for sleep tracking. The Series 2 battery lasts much longer than that most of time.

Great sleep tracking data from AutoSleep...

View attachment 681533 View attachment 681534
I use the same app and it works great and I wake 8 hours later with 95% battery. So many posts asking for sleep tracking when it is already there and has zero impact on battery. AutoSleep is worth the $3 and doesn't require an app installed or running on the Watch. The stats are gathered in the health app all the time your sleep. Movement and HR is the key.

If I didn't charge at all and wore 24x7 it goes into day 3 so I only charge when I shower and finish the week at 60%+. Only fully charge now once a week for an hour before bed.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Very happy with my first gen (0). Not complaining about the battery life either. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet.

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
Needs to have data connectivity to add value suffivient for an upgrade.

It would be nice to be able to stream from Spotify / Apple Music with Airpods when you work out and run. Would also work well with messages when at the beach, in the shower or when you surf and can't bring the iPhone

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
Apple Watch series 2's battery life is super good already. I can easily use the watch 2 days without charging. I stretched it to 2.5 a few times too, and maybe can last for 3 days (with power reserve mode)...
Thanks but no thanks if it's just battery improvements.
Battery improvement is by far the most needed feature. Until they make a watch that can reliably last for a whole weekend away from home without a charger then the battery life is more or less useless. Less than a week is almost as useless. But hey, if Apple says "a day if you're careful and don't check the time or use too many features" and don't mind remembering to bring the charger every time you're away from home overnight, then I'm sure that there'll be plenty of people who agree.

Reactions: Stella and iAmAsar

Fozziebear71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2014
If you want a Stainless Apple Watch you can't walk in a store and get one.

This article, if true, means you will probably be able to get one about the same time they "release" version 3 (which you probably won't be able to get for 6 to 9 months after "release").

What the hell is going on at Apple?!?!

konqueror4u

macrumors regular
May 18, 2016
Programmers Heaven
I think sensible enough till they complete the development of the new features no point in launching them with half baked stuff. Upgrading internals to keep them competitive is required and good move.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think the key question is "do you want 4+ days before a charge and be as bulky as the Gesr S3?" Most will say NO. You also can't get thinner and last 4 days and LTE... yet.

I prefer the current shape and size. Bigger would sell less like Gear products. No one or the minority want bigger and that is proven by the number of units sold by competitors even with round and LTE and longer battery.
[doublepost=1483459682][/doublepost]
Good point. Then others will complain that Apple needs less versions. :) I would like to see a round face but it can't be larger or it is a money loser for Apple.
[doublepost=1483459777][/doublepost]
Sleep tracking is already there by several apps and two are really good and burn 5% of battery. Even with my series 0 it would only burn 8-10% battery after 18 months. Charge when I shower is all it needs.

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out a sleep app or two. And I totally agree with you that adding LTE is unnecessary and I do not want to pay the size and power draw issues associated with it for limited additional functionality.

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
My 1st gen Sport is not being upgraded until an integrated sim cloned to iPhone sim is built into the watch.
I'm very happy with the apple watch but won't update until above occurs.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
Better battery life would surely attract new Apple Watch buyers.

Most people I know balk at 1 day battery life and it puts them off purchasing.

Last 10 days I've been wearing a Samsung Gear S3 and it genuinely averages 3.5 days on a single charge. The hardware is incredible, only problem is a lack of third party apps.

I am not sure 30% battery life improvement (or so) would do the trick. Switching from 7 year battery life to one day battery life is a tough choice. Increasing battery life from one day to two days may not be enough.

Reactions: iAmAsar

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Watches are an interesting category of device because most people keep their watches for several years before replacing. High end watches are passed down as heirlooms. Also, there are some natural functionality limits based on the UI and size of the screen (although, I saw a concept video of a wrist band that projects a large touch screen on the forearm. It was pretty cool!). This means most of the improvements will be in longer battery life, better display, and thinner form factor. Nice to have, but not necessarily compelling reasons to upgrade every year. People are more likely to put money into a new phone, which they need to carry around anyway to get their smartwatch to be smart.

Now, suppose smartwatches evolved to the place where you could ditch the smartphone altogether. For example, cellular connectivity with long battery life in a pleasing form factor plus projection technology to allow iPhone size display on your forearm. Then, things might substantially change.

BTW - I believe there are a few smartwatches with cellular capability now, but they are pretty bulky. Also, if you need a separate data plan for the watch, there are very few people willing to pay that premium when they are already paying for a data plan on their phone.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Better battery life would surely attract new Apple Watch buyers.

Most people I know balk at 1 day battery life and it puts them off purchasing.

Last 10 days I've been wearing a Samsung Gear S3 and it genuinely averages 3.5 days on a single charge. The hardware is incredible, only problem is a lack of third party apps.

They should get a Series 2 watch with the latest watchOS - I get 3 days out of mine easily and that includes using it for running.

Reactions: JaySoul

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I seriously doubt they will be releasing an updated watch in 2017 for just minor enhancements. They'll have updates to the OS itself, mention some new bands.. possibly add some sort of new band that has enhanced sensors.. but just putting a new battery in.. no way. I've only had issues with the battery during beta testing, regular releases I've had no issues at all. I can go 3 days without a charge and I do a ton of texting/emailing for work. I don't do massive graphic intensive stuff on my watch either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.