Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Never thought I would have heard Android being better for battery than iOS.

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

Imagine the battery life Apple could get out of the same internals, OS, but with a big ol' screen... I don't think anything beats the iPhone "pound for pound" in battery life (which may or may not matter depending on what you value :)

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I'd definitely like a bigger screen. There is no "correct" size. 3.5-4.0 inches are good for one-handed operation, but detract from other uses.

Older folks can have trouble reading. Videos and photos are smaller and have to be held closer to the face. GPS navigation can be hard to decipher at a glance. Nearly every other Apple product has multiple sizes and form factors! Please put out a larger size (or two models) and let the customers decide.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Never thought I would have heard Android being better for battery than iOS.

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

Do you have LTE disabled? I keep a charger at work as well because I know if I go out after work the battery will end up very, very low.

I've never been able to go more than a day without charging it... but maybe that's because I actually use it as more than just a phone?

kevinp8192

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
Man are some of the posters here crazy. CR was very complimentary of the iPhone, and thinks it a great choice--they didn't "bash" them at all. They list one or two areas where the iPhone "may" lag, and some of you are ready to storm the place. What a reactive, nutty freak show some of you are. I love my Apple ecosystem, but thank God I'm not some kind of cultist.

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
I have the S4 and I can go through the day easily... dunno what your friends are doing tbh.

I have the S4 and worry about the battery all the time since getting it. Never really worried about it on my iPhone before, only when using the camera a lot.

Although a lot of my worrying might be because Android has the battery graph and I'm always checking it... lol

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Consumer Reports? Does anyone care what they have to say anymore?

Probably the millions of people that read their reviews to get more informed about products. They're one of the most unbiased sources out there. I bet if this review was saying the iPhone beat the competitors in every category you'd be praising them.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
After seeing a lot of androids in my office (not as many as iphones though), I will say that there is room in apples line up for a bigger phone.

I can see a 4 and 6 inch phone, a 8 and 10 inch pad. Then it gets interesting at the 12 inch level do we go pad or laptop? Rumors abound on this last point.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
Contract will be up for the iPhone 6. I'm expecting

• Bigger screen (4.8 inches? sure!)
  • Much better battery life (so much more room)
  • Nifty iOS 8 features, since iOS 7 was more of a re-design, now they can actually add more things
This. Same boat, same wishes.

Battery life took a hit across the board with iOS 7, most notably the iPhone 5. It's certainly possible that the 5s suffers from the same issue.
Not my experience at all. iOS7 actually boosted my battery life, and evened out the "pits" in my battery gauge. My i5 used to take much longer from 100-85 than 85-30. then 30-0 was much longer again. In addition to a good 2-3hrs more battery life, my gauge is steady.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I like Apples screens, no desire for more pixels than my eye can see, 1080p seems to be pointless on a phone except for the spec sheet. Battery life though is a concern, android phones used to have terrible battery life compared to iphones but the same isn't true anymore. Although the iphone battery life is adequate their tiny footprint just doesn't allow them to put in the massive battery that a phone with a 5.2" display can house. I would love an iphone with a 4.5" display and then an increase in battery size. Pixel density can stay where it is I don't see a reason to alter that the display is already beautiful

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
What did Steve do to Consumer Reports?... Burn down their Christmas tree?
Talk about a vendetta.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
I have the S4 and I can go through the day easily... dunno what your friends are doing tbh.

Your S4's battery is doing okay?

Everyone, tell the rest of the Internet to shut up! This guy's S4 is okay! :rolleyes:

(Edit) just to be clear. Not attacking the GS4 (which is a great phone that I have used and enjoyed very much)

Last edited:

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Android users must never use their phone then. Oh, oops.

I'm leaning android just for the battery. If I can get a few hours more that would be awesome. Interchangeable batteries are very appealing vs. carrying a heavy external. Mine is heavy duty!

PollyK

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
How is pentile OLED sharper than IPS LCD?

You gotta get out more. Lol.
But here's a hint, 1080P. At pixel densities above 380+ PPI , dont think pixel layout matters. You just gotta be able willing to see things as they are.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Your S4's battery is doing okay?

Everyone, tell the rest of the Internet to shut up! This guy's S4 is okay! :rolleyes:

He was making a reply to another users statement, not trying to argue. You don't have to go over the board.

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
Contract will be up for the iPhone 6. I'm expecting

• Bigger screen (4.8 inches? sure!)
  • Much better battery life (so much more room)
  • Nifty iOS 8 features, since iOS 7 was more of a re-design, now they can actually add more things

if i know apple they will reduce thickness about 15%, removing any extra battery capacity that would have come with a larger phone

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
After seeing a lot of androids in my office (not as many as iphones though), I will say that there is room in apples line up for a bigger phone.

I can see a 4 and 6 inch phone, a 8 and 10 inch pad. Then it gets interesting at the 12 inch level do we go pad or laptop? Rumors abound on this last point.

I agree. I hope Apple does bring on a larger phone. I can see them ditching the 4S and having the 5 line for the smaller line and having the 6 with larger screen(s). I really like the larger screens.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
i own HTC One and it has GREAT display, but damn it that thing is too big for my standards. I cant walk normally up the stairs since im afraid im going to bend/break it, when i sit i cant have the phone in my pocket because its just too damn big to just "forget i have it in my pocket", when taking photos i need to use both of my hands otherwise its really hard to press the camera button with only one hand and even if i do the whole picture is far from great since there's always some small movement with phone while trying to push the button.. not everything is great with big screens, they're useful but also at the same time impractical.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
He was making a reply to another users statement, not trying to argue. You don't have to go over the board.

First time on the forums? :p

(Edit) if you saw his reply (before it was taken down) it seems he does like to argue (or just insult)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.