Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kim Sux

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Obviously if you have a bigger screen there is going to be more room for a bigger battery. So there are no new revelations there.

I would probably stop buying iPhones if they did make them any bigger. I'm sorry but it's a phone, not a tablet. I have my iPad Mini if I want to use something bigger. But for my phone I want it as small and compact as possible.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I like slim ultra-compact mobile products. So I actually think the iPhone 5 is a bit too big, and think it would be nice for Apple to go back to making a slimmed down 3.5" display device.

But, sure, in addition they can also make mini-tablets and phablets for women who carry puffy purses, teens with draggy/baggy pants, and old people who need reading glasses as well.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
My LG G2 destroys the 5S in battery and screen, being honest everything other than build materials used. IPhone 6 will have a better screen and much better battery life.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Never thought I would have heard Android being better for battery than iOS.

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

Consumer Reports does not know what they are talking about or they are completely focused on the Galaxy Note. Comparing the size of the battery is meaningless when the Android competitors cram a 2.3Ghz processor in there that will chew through that battery in no time. Only devices the size of the Galaxy Note or heavy devices like the Motorola Droid MAXX out-perform Apple on battery life.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
I'd definitely like a bigger screen. There is no "correct" size. 3.5-4.0 inches are good for one-handed operation, but detract from other uses.

Older folks can have trouble reading. Videos and photos are smaller and have to be held closer to the face. GPS navigation can be hard to decipher at a glance. Nearly every other Apple product has multiple sizes and form factors! Please put out a larger size (or two models) and let the customers decide.

You make some excellent points, especially about the GPS navigation and people with less than perfect eyesight.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Consumer Reports does not know what they are talking about or they are completely focused on the Galaxy Note. Comparing the size of the battery is meaningless when the Android competitors cram a 2.3Ghz processor in there that will chew through that battery in no time. Only devices the size of the Galaxy Note or heavy devices like the Motorola Droid MAXX out-perform Apple on battery life.

The devices they rated higher were the Droid, Droid Maxx, and Droid Mini.

giantfan1224

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
There are too many variables in how a phones is setup (brightness) and how a phone is used and how good the signal is in a particular area to get a good idea of battery life. Some days I get great battery life and some days I don't and it all depends on how I'm using it. If I'm in a bad signal area, I can watch my battery percentage count down. If I remember to switch off LTE in those bad areas, then it is much better. If I forget to close certain applications running in the background, it gets worse. My point is, battery life is so subjective, and that's why you'll hear so many claiming they get great battery life with their iPhone, or bad battery life, or that android is better, or that it is worse.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I would love 24 hour battery life over the bigger screen.

The thing is, a bigger screen means more room for a battery, so... (~4.4", just a little wider then now)

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Consumer Reports? Does anyone care what they have to say anymore?

Not really. In about 20 years, half their readers will be dead and the other half will have figured out how to use the internet to find better reviews of products.

jt73

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2013
I have the S4 and I can go through the day easily... dunno what your friends are doing tbh.

The phone itself has huge bearing too. Many Android phones have rather mediocre batteries, while a few (sadly just a few) have exceptional batteries. I have a Nexus 4 that I've been test-driving for a few weeks. I've had days where the battery seems to evaporate. Others where it lasts ok. I'm presuming due to background apps at this point.

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
I was totally shocked at what I fit in my pants!

I was utterly amazed the other day when I easily dropped a 6" Kindle Paperwhite in my pocket and didn't even notice it there! I would never have dreamed such a large device would be pocketable. However, that was my shorts pocket - there's no way that would fit in my jeans pocket. (And if I put my wallet in the same pocket, it becomes quite noticeable.)

And if it won't fit in your pants, you're not taking it. (Unless you're a woman with a purse, but I find they seldom hear their phone ringing. :) To me, that's what all this phablet stuff is all about - an iPad Mini that's as big as it can get while still fitting in one hand and in your pocket.

:D

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
I hope we will never have to see the following headline:

New Retina Macbook Pros Score Well with 'Consumer Reports', but Display and Battery 'No Match' for PC Competitors

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
AirDrop

My 5's battery life is pretty bad... i'm luckily plugged in or close to a charger mist of the time.

And yeah, Indisabled a few thing like parallax, some location services, background refresh, etc...

Try turning off AirDrop. If that doesn't work, did you do the upgrade to iOS7 via OTA? If so, you may need to do a restore. I did my upgrade connected to the computer and battery life has not been an issue. In fact, I think it's better. Only lose 10% of battery life over a 10 hour period when sleeping.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Why not just release two iPhone sizes? One 4" and the other 6" or something? If you want a smaller phone, get the smaller phone. If you want the larger phone, get the larger phone.

And anyone who can't figure out why people would want a size you don't want, please keep an open mind. Not everyone is just like you.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

I can usually get a couple of days out my iPhone 5... yet my GS4 wielding friends get worried at the thought of leaving their houses without the charger. :confused:

Depends on the which android phone you are talking about when comparing battery life.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

Well, when your phone is the size of a small tablet, you fit a nice sized battery in there lol. :p

My wife can't seem to get by as long with her Galaxy III as I did/do with my iPhone 4S/5S, and I'm a much heavier user.

newyorkone

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Consumer Reports? Puh-leaze. The only people who subscribe are boring Toyota and Honda drivers who perpetuate their skewed and flawed car ratings. For technology, they are beyond irrelevant...

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I don't know about the battery, but the iPhone display quality is easily the best. It seems like they're judging it just based on size, which is retarded.

Last edited:

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I like slim ultra-compact mobile products. So I actually think the iPhone 5 is a bit too big, and think it would be nice for Apple to go back to making a slimmed down 3.5" display device.

But, sure, in addition they can also make mini-tablets and phablets for women who carry puffy purses, teens with draggy/baggy pants, and old people who need reading glasses as well.

Same here! Travel light!

I like all the stuff I take with me to be as small as necessary to function. That's it. Ill even consider an iWatch, if that gets one mor ething out of my pockets.

I do not have a wallet with a coin section and keep loose change in one pocket and credit cards like a cigarette pack size in my back pocket.

iPhone in the right pocket.

So far I was able to do anything I needed to do with that set up.

If the phone gets too big, one will have to hold it in ones hand or get clothes that have enough space to tuck it away.

Over time I am pretty sure Apple will offer a larger size iPhone Plus.

Nobody is wrong or right about what size the iphone should be!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
Consumer Reports? Puh-leaze. The only people who subscribe are boring Toyota and Honda drivers who perpetuate their skewed and flawed car ratings. For technology, they are beyond irrelevant...

No need for them to subscribe. Honda is better.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008

Most people at the office have either a Power case or a battery pack for their iPhones... It depends what you do with your phone, but it is not great.

revfife

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
In a far country
Battery on iphone 5 and 5s is terrible in iOS7 with all the bells and whistles turned on.

Turn off the dynamic wallpapers.
Turn off location based iAds.
Turn off all the location services you don't use anyway. All those apps don't need to know you location all the time.
Turn off background app refresh.
Stop pushing mail every 2 minutes.
Adjust the brightness down from 11.

You can get a day and half with easily with semi constant use.

suprakc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Utah
Waaa.

Somebody call the Waaaaa-mbulence. Seriously what a bunch of trendy Whiners. My battery in my 5s has never gone below 40% on an average 16-18 Hour Work day. Go home, charge, repeat.

.... So.... battery life sucks? I think not. And the screen size is lovely for now. Next year will surely bring something different... but for a reason other than trendy phablets.

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.