Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barryl85

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
iPhone is such a thoughtfully designed product. You can operate with one hand and your thumb could touch anywhere on the screen without hassle.

and now this happens. WTF is this *****?

Im not the biggest guy in the world only at 5ft 9 and i probably have average sized hands.

With my iPhone 4 in my hand I can reach above the speaker/camera with my thumb.

I think your making a massive deal about this.

Crissov

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
1280×720 (HD) gains them nothing

If the new iPod touch / iPhone are 16:9, wouldn't it make more sense for them to be 1280x720 instead of 1136x640?
That’s a more common resolution, but the scaling would actually be more complicated (except for movies) and the screens would become even more expensive due to (unnecessarily) increased pixel density. Making them taller only means the LCD fabs just have to cut them differently.

I still think that, assuming a constant 640px small side, 1152px (9:5=18:10, +192px) are more likely than 1136px (16:9, +176px); 1024px (8:5=16:10, +64px) is too small an improvement. See my Google spreadsheet for more experimental (and existing) values.

Apps can't be scaled to 1136x640 anyway.
Many apps, and the OS itself, can be scaled easily, because they just get a taller (or wider) area to display content between GUI elements at the top and bottom (or left and right). Of course, some apps aren’t that scalable and need more adjustments, but most should be fine, especially if they have been developed for multiple OSes anyway.

PS: “3.95 inches” really is 10 centimeters, of course, like “3.5 inches” is 9 cm actually.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Doesn't really matter

Since Verizon plans on trying to take my data away. Gonna stick with the iPhone 4 as long as I can.

WhoAmI2

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Why would you want a phone the size of a tablet?

They have a 4.8" tablet on the market now? Pls link to it, I've never seen it.

Please no!
Current external dimensions are just right. making the phone any bigger would be horrible and what would one gain.
Ummmm we would gain a larger phone. Surprised you couldn't figure that one out.

there is a paradox: Should the home button be in the shape of rectangle instead of circle as previous rumors claimed?
I never saw a rumor that offered a rectangle button. Link pls.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
There are countless stories of someone at Apple sharing an idea with him, him saying it was absolute cr*p, but then a few days later coming back with a complete reversal of opinion and going with it. There are other stories where he was actually talked out of some pretty bad decisions by others. And what he learnt from his past mistakes, at Apple and then NeXT, obviously served him well when he returned to Apple and rescued it. He made fewer mistakes this time around, and some truly brilliant decisions.

Got any proof of this then? I mean if he made soooo many mistakes as you state, their must be documented evidence no?

On Topic, nope, still don't believe this story, I think they will keep the 3.5" screen, no need to change it, or they will change the width and length for a 3.9" screen, otherwise it'll look stupid?

Crissov

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
Evolution of Names

1. iPhone (original)
  2. iPhone 3G
  3. iPhone 3GS
  4. iPhone 4
  5. iPhone 4S
    • iPhone 4"
    • iPhone 4G
    • iPhone 5
    • iPhone 6
    • iPhone HD
    • iPhone TV
    • iPhone LTE
    • iPhone L
    • iPhone XL
    • iPhone M
    • iPhone S
    • iPhone X
    • new iPhone
    • iPhone
    • iGear
    • iWear
    • iTab
    • iGlasses
    • iOcular
    • iX
    • …?
We’ll know, and discuss, soon enough.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Exif data shows a Nikon D90 but more importantly I checked the images in Photoshop by layering and comparing sizes and orientation. The images show the same smudges on what I think might be the lens but they are in different spots which indicate the camera or object was not exactly in the same position when each picture was taken.
The orientation is off and so is the scaling. I was not able to achieve 100% exact layering in Photoshop to get them to match.
I believe these to be legit so there you have it. The iPhone 5 is going to have a taller screen.

Tussen69

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2006
  1. iPhone (original)
  2. iPhone 3G
  3. iPhone 3GS
  4. iPhone 4
  5. iPhone 4S
    • iPhone 4"
    • iPhone 4G
    • iPhone 5
    • iPhone 6
    • iPhone HD
    • iPhone TV
    • iPhone LTE
    • iPhone L
    • iPhone XL
    • iPhone M
    • iPhone S
    • iPhone X
    • new iPhone
    • iPhone
    • iGear
    • iWear
    • iTab
    • iGlasses
    • iOcular
    • iX
    • …?
We’ll know, and discuss, soon enough.

more likely knowing what Apple did to the iPad name the new iPhone will simply be called "the new iPhone" ....

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
What could it be, 3.95, 4.1 or even 4.05, I tingle with anticipation.

These are indeed heady times, to be alive!

Err, no they are not......

the 1970's/80's where THE heady times for computers with GIANT leaps being made on each new generation of product. the way we went from black and white "Pong" on the TV up to an Amiga was an astounding revolution.

Now we're getting all excited cos the screen may be a tiny bit longer, or the chip may be a few percent faster.

Dam boring times now compared to those early days for home electronics.

As soon ad BIG Business took over products and profit was the key point as opposed to seeing how far you can push technically and the boring mass consumers becoming involved and deciding "actually I think there things are good enough now" the exciting hard push died.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I never saw a rumor that offered a rectangle button. Link pls.

You must have been living under a rock. This was covered extensively.
https://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/15/iphone-5-screen-protectors-show-elongated-home-button-area/

----------

I doubt Apple will do this, it's a very bad idea to break perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps just to make the display a little bigger. I don't want black bars, and the "new" iPhone apps won't be able to run pixel double on the iPad.

They should either stay at 960x640 or go to 1440x960 which will maintain compatibility and give a nice boost in PPI.

1440x960?? I don't want a phone taller and lankier than I am!

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I wish they would make the screen not just longer, but widen it a bit too. Right now the screen is too small to read websites vertically, but in landscape mode I feel the screen is too short especially with the status bar and navigation bar.

I'll have to see it in person to know how this will add to the user experience.

This is exactly what I was thinking! For web browsing a taller screen won't help a bit. The text will stay the same size in both orientations e.g. too small!! And like you mention, the addressbar, status bar and navigation bar take up half of the screen in landscape mode. Also with other apps where text is essential, like mail, this taller screen solves nothing. But maybe Apple has a solution in iOS 6 for that ;)

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Larger isn't better with the same old look. Change the DESIGN!!!!!!!!!

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I seriously wish Steve Jobs was still around. He would have never let such a disgusting thing happen.

Ignoring the fact that he was part of the gadgest being released over the next 5 years ..

----------

I doubt Apple will do this, it's a very bad idea to break perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps just to make the display a little bigger. I don't want black bars, and the "new" iPhone apps won't be able to run pixel double on the iPad.

They should either stay at 960x640 or go to 1440x960 which will maintain compatibility and give a nice boost in PPI.

They were moaning at the ipad initially too and it worked out ...

npggirl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
City of your dreams
4.5 is horrible. I can almost say with 100% certainty that Apple will NEVER market a 4.5" iPhone. And whatever they wind up doing, there will only ever be 1 size iPhone. Smaller tablet? Maybe, but not multiple sized phones.

Maybe Apple could make a nice 4.5" device, but at that size it splits the market because there a ton of people who hate (including myself) grossly big phones.

~4" is the goldilock's zone.

It is truly different strokes for different folks because I cannot stand the size of my 4S. I want, and I mean WANT a larger phone.
I have eyeballed the Samsung Galaxy Sii for a while because it is absolutely beautiful to me...
But I LOVE all other aspects of my iPhone (I have had iPhones for a LONG time after getting tried of Androids choking) except the size.
I want wider and maybe a touch longer...
And not quite as square.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Not a fan.

THIS..

its a cute addition, but i hope that apple doesnt think that having an extra .5-1 inch is going to make their phone any better.. and honestly, if the screen size is a significant factor, i think the priorities are in the wrong place... phones were never meant to be mini netbooks or tablets..

the reason why android is selling so well is b/c of its availability virtually everywhere on the market, price, and array of phone designs... whereas apple only has 1 current gen iphone for a given year/+.. if apple put out 3 more iphone designs, and refreshed ALL of them for a unique quarter on a yearly basis, then apple would take command of the marketshare w/o a doubt... but if android keeps putting out 15-20 new phones to apple's 1, they'll keep winning..

so we could look forward to next year like "yeah android is coming out with the Droid 5 in 2014, but we'll still have 3-4 iphone launches in 2014, and 1/+ of them may be a better phone imo".. instead of waiting to WWDC and it being an ALL OR NOTHING impression on the ONLY IPHONE design to be produced for that year...

increasing the screen size is kinda submissive IMO for apple.. it doesnt make the phone any better and its just a passive aggressive way to say "we'll take the screensize talking point away for non apple adopters"... but if anyone is actually making a phone choice based upon the difference in apple vs android screen size, they're missing a few screws upstairs... that shouldnt be a factor at all..

i think apple needs to keep their original screen size and branch out with a 2nd iphone line with a bigger screen and different design.. because apple (at the moment) only has one iphone... and having to carry around a bigger phone is not going to be a welcomed change from all apple users

the real war is on the OS front.. and apple needs to really kick butt in iOS 6.0

if i want a big screen, i'll use my ipad... but most importantly, its 2012, we need more phone options, im tired of the rumors... make it happen already

but im fine if apple wants to be more android-ish... try to be like them on the phone diversity front.. not necessarily the screen size issue

Last edited:

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
This would be a disaster - well, not really but I am not happy about it. Just increasing the size and keeping the overall design is just unimaginative and - boring. Keeping the same size and having a screen all the way to the sides, now, that would be something else. But why would I want the same design I have now - stretched?? Time to give it a new twist. Similar to the old one if need to be but not just increase it in length and it is a completely new, magical phone? Don't think so. :mad:

Maybe: The ALL NEW iPhone L

npggirl

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
City of your dreams
The reason it got shot down in the other thread is because its a tired argument and doesn't make sense.
Apple is not in the business of making a phone that everyone on the planet wants. Apple makes the best phone it knows how for the greatest number of people. It does not and will never sell things to appeal to niche's like yourself.

That sentence there is why no one takes your argument seriously, because you are obviously delusional.
I cannot state this any clearer: Apple makes tens of billions (BILLIONS!) of profit (PROFIT!) from iPhone sales every quarter (QUARTER!). They make 75% of the entire mobile phone (MOBILE - not smartphone) industry's profits. The market is buying their phone as fast as they can make them and is demanding nothing except more phones. If you cannot see that, and still think or hope that Apple will take pity on the few thousand people that won't buy an iPhone because of its size, you are truly delusional. If they change the size of their phone it is because they've decided it is a better phone, not to pander to people who want a bigger phone. That is also why Apple will never make more than one phone size. They don't need to. They sell 30+ million phones per quarter. The amount of extra phones they would sell by having more than one size would be far outweighed by the costs involved in doing so (and the annoyance for developers)

Since you are dismissing others' opinions as delusional, I would love for you to supply us with numbers that back up your statement " If you cannot see that, and still think or hope that Apple will take pity on the few thousand people that won't buy an iPhone because of its size, you are truly delusional".
What numbers are there stating that it is only a few thousand that want larger screens? I, for one, have heard a LOT of current iPhone owners that want the screen to be larger. As a matter of fact, I have heard the word "larger" much more than I have heard "keep it the same size". Yes, Apple brings in a ton of profit with the iPhone. the iPhone is fabulous, I love mine! But, I am tired of the small screen. And there are many others I have personally heard the same statement from.
So, you think there are only a few thousands of folks that want it...
So, you think it is not a market demand?
Complete a study and get back with us. I, for one, would love to see real statistics to see what the market demand truly is regarding phone/screen size...instead of some hot-headed comment that that disregards other opinions as delusional.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
if anyone is actually making a phone choice based upon the difference in apple vs android screen size, they're missing a few screws upstairs... that shouldnt be a factor at all..

What?? There is a huge percentage of people who buy their phone based on screen size alone. And a big chunk of those people are buying Android phones over iPhones soley because the screen is bigger. Right or wrong, I could personally care less. But a ton of people would disagree with you.

DocAlge

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2006
What?? There is a huge percentage of people who buy their phone based on screen size alone. And a big chunk of those people are buying Android phones over iPhones soley because the screen is bigger. Right or wrong, I could personally care less. But a ton of people would disagree with you.

Yes. Apple seems to loose at least 50-75 customers if we read through all the post in here ;-)

... not me as you might have guessed. Why give up a whole eco system just because of the screen (which I think is just the right size). If you need to watch dirty pictures use the iPad instead ...

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009

of course there are... but it doesnt make sense... when a decision should be made, functionality should be the pros/cons... not just added length of the phone

and its ironic b/c apple has existed before android.. so what were the deciding anti-apple factors before the mega screen phones existed?

dponte

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
of course there are... but it doesnt make sense... when a decision should be made, functionality should be the pros/cons... not just added length of the phone

and its ironic b/c apple has existed before android.. so what were the deciding anti-apple factors before the mega screen phones existed?

Usability AND functionality are part of the desire for a larger screen. As I stated before, there isn't much of a draw for the a smartphone with the smallest screen size these days. I love a lot of things about the iPhone, but that isn't one.

I can't imagine going into a store -in 2012- with the current selection of smartphones lined up and saying 'hmmm, nah, I'll take the SMALLEST screen size available!'.

Of course, there are many people buy who iPhones for other reasons...very good reasons...yet, a larger screen would pull wandering eyes away from these new android phones coming out (of which are improving each cycle).

Again, not for aesthetic reasons...for usability and functionality. Keep the phone dimensions relatively the same...fine.

As for the 'anti-Apple' factors...I think it is mostly a compatibility choice as well as sometimes a 'i don't have a mac/live in the the Apple world, so...no' aversion. However, many are also techies (like myself) who need both or need the flexibility of the android OS to do certain things...also, Flash is a hot topic still (maybe this will lessen more with html5, etc), when I talk to android-only users.

Nowdays, screen size is becoming a bigger deal. I'd like to see what I am doing without resorting to lugging around an iPad/MBP.

maroontiger2k9

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2009
Usability AND functionality are part of the desire for a larger screen. As I stated before, there isn't much of a draw for the a smartphone with the smallest screen size these days. I love a lot of things about the iPhone, but that isn't one.

I can't imagine going into a store -in 2012- with the current selection of smartphones lined up and saying 'hmmm, nah, I'll take the SMALLEST screen size available!'.

the iphone has been the most popular selling phone probably since its first gen release, it has the biggest and most lucrative app store, so consumers are apparently comfortable with the iphone screen size.

lets not get ahead of ourselves and act like the iphone screen needs a telescope to navigate...

the difference between apple and android screen size does not compromise the functionality of apple apps in the least bit IMHO... its always going to be a talking point b/c "bigger is better"... but sometimes performance, ease of use, efficiency, quality software development can trump a bigger screen..

i could understand if the screen difference were that of the blackberry playbook vs the ipad, but the screen difference in phones is almost irrelevant.. unless you like the appearance of holding and looking at something bigger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.