Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photics

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2011
Aspect ratio???

If the other MacRumors article is right... 1136x640 is really close to the standard 16:9 ratio. I'm surprised that the number 1136 is floating around, as that would leave some stray pixels. 1138x640 or even 1280x720 makes more sense.

Devs need to suck it up. I'm a dev too and sure it's a little bit more work but change is bound to happen sooner than later.

Short term, this is a headache. Although, if Apple is seriously moving [further] into TV territory, making the 16:9 ratio standard for iPhone and iPod Touch could make sense. It would make it incredibly easy for developers to port their landscape apps to Apple TV... which seems like a great place for an App Store.

Apple would have essentially created a game console. And with thousands of developers with 16:9 games ready to go, it should perform far better than the Pippin. :)

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Wouldn't it be good for watching movies? Sometimes when driving with other people, I have watched movies on Netflix or something. I think a wider screen would be better.

I watch YouTube vids - Watching vids is for the iPad but I imagine it will eventually make its way to the iPad as well.

I'm all for a wide screen on the iPad

Jynto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2012
Nottingham, UK
I seriously wish Steve Jobs was still around. He would have never let such a disgusting thing happen.

People need to stop assuming that Saint Steve could do no wrong. Yes, he was a perfectionist. No, that doesn't mean he was perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. And everyone makes decisions that are unpopular. People complained about him when he was alive. He designed a laptop with an upside down Apple logo. And yes, he designed this iPhone.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
People need to stop assuming that Saint Steve could do no wrong. Yes, he was a perfectionist. No, that doesn't mean he was perfect. Everyone makes mistakes. And everyone makes decisions that are unpopular. People complained about him when he was alive. He designed a laptop with an upside down Apple logo. And yes, he designed this iPhone.

Well, considering the man brought Apple from almost bankruptcy to the wealthiest company on the planet, I would say he knew EXACTLY what he was doing! He did not make ANY mistakes.

ScooterLibby

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
As much as I really want a June/July release I have to agree with this. It makes a lot more sense to release it in Fall for every reason you state.

The timing reasons are secondary at best. If you pay attention to the progress of the transition to the new fab process for 28nm LTE chips it appears they won't be ready for mass production in the Fall. Apple will NOT make an LTE iPhone with the current 45nm chips because they are too power hungry and too big (a reason why current LTE phones are pretty klunky). It is not concerns over release timing that is holding them back, though it might have factored into their considerations if 28nm was ready now, but it isn't. Apple, like everyone else, is constrained by factors beyond their control.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4925/why-no-lte-iphone-5-blame-28nm-maturity

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010
the people who hate this taller design are usually the ones who are the first to preorder comes fall.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Really, they're going to mess up the aspect ratio that much? That's a pain. Hopefully, there won't be an AAPL selloff. I don't have a good feeling about this.

----------

the people who hate this taller design are usually the ones who are the first to preorder comes fall.

Not me ;)

pak256

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
can we all please just stop calling the next gen iPhone the "iPhone 5"? It makes no sense why Apple would call it's 6th gen phone the "iPhone 5" plus they've only ever numbered their phones once (the iPhone 4) every phone before it wasn't numerically numbered.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I wish they would make the screen not just longer, but widen it a bit too. Right now the screen is too small to read websites vertically, but in landscape mode I feel the screen is too short especially with the status bar and navigation bar.

I'll have to see it in person to know how this will add to the user experience.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I doubt Apple will do this, it's a very bad idea to break perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps just to make the display a little bigger. I don't want black bars, and the "new" iPhone apps won't be able to run pixel double on the iPad.

They should either stay at 960x640 or go to 1440x960 which will maintain compatibility and give a nice boost in PPI.

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
can we all please just stop calling the next gen iPhone the "iPhone 5"? It makes no sense why Apple would call it's 6th gen phone the "iPhone 5" plus they've only ever numbered their phones once (the iPhone 4) every phone before it wasn't numerically numbered.

The term "Generation" is not at all related with years. It means a substantial difference in two products. iPhone 3G/3GS is different from iPhone 4/4S. Same way iPhone 5 would be different from iPhone 4th Gen. Next iPhone is a 5th Gen iPhone so we can call it "iPhone 5".

----------

I wish they would make the screen not just longer, but widen it a bit too. Right now the screen is too small to read websites vertically, but in landscape mode I feel the screen is too short especially with the status bar and navigation bar.

I'll have to see it in person to know how this will add to the user experience.

Making a wider screen phone will result in a wider iPhone and it will hinder with all the high quality docks and accessories made for previous iPhones. So if this new iPhone gets the same width, you can use the same docks/accessories.

----------

I doubt Apple will do this, it's a very bad idea to break perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps just to make the display a little bigger. I don't want black bars, and the "new" iPhone apps won't be able to run pixel double on the iPad.

They should either stay at 960x640 or go to 1440x960 which will maintain compatibility and give a nice boost in PPI.

As someone suggest in this thread, the 16:9 aspect ratio would sit perfectly with the future Apple TV. So you can play the native Apps on your TV without any black bars on side. And the same width will not force the accessory makers to refresh their products for new iPhone. It's a win-win if you ask me.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
I really really hope this is true

The smallness of iphone as an internet enabled device is a issue for me given my poor eyesight. A larger keyboard will be an additional BIG plus. The 4" iphone will be step in the right direction.

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

In line with today's claims of taller iPhone prototypes with 3.95-inch displays, one of our sources has provided us with images of what are claimed to be new next-generation iOS device parts being carried by a supplier. The most significant of these parts is a claimed front panel from the next-generation iPod touch, with the supplier claiming that the display would be taller than the current model and that the opening in the front panel measures 4.1 inches diagonally.

Apple would undoubtedly use the same display size on the iPhone and iPod touch if it were to bring a larger screen to both of the devices, so it is not entirely clear how to mesh recent claims of a 3.95-inch display with this measurement of 4.1 inches and The Wall Street Journal's claim of "at least four inches", but all of the reports are in the same general size range. The viewable portion of the iPhone's display is slightly smaller than the opening in the front panel, so that could explain the slight discrepancy in reported sizes.

Our source's supplier has also included listings for several new parts claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone, including the home button flex cable and front and rear cameras, although the camera parts are listed as needing "verification", so the supplier may yet be confirming their authenticity. The photos are extremely small, but at a minimum the home button flex cable and front camera assembly show distinct differences from their iPhone 4S counterparts, although they may end up being functionally indistinguishable from the user's perspective. The rear camera appears very similar to modules used in the last several generations of the iPhone, although it is lacking an associated LED flash.

Left to right: Home button flex cable, front camera, rear camera
Better shots of the cameras have been posted at BadGizmo Repair, which appears to have received its information from the same supplier as our source.

"iPhone 5" front camera (left) and rear camera (right)
Part leaks from Apple's supply chain have become fairly routine in the months leading up to a product launch, and these latest parts are by no means the first to appear for the upcoming hardware update. The plastic home buttons were the first to leak last month, followed by a micro-SIM tray and what claimed to be a headphone jack/earpiece assembly, although there has been some debate about exactly what the components on that part represent. The authenticity of all of the parts has yet to be confirmed, but past history suggests that these components are frequently genuine parts leaked from Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: New Part Leaks Include Taller iPod Touch Front Panel, 'iPhone 5' Cameras

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I seriously wish Steve Jobs was still around. He would have never let such a disgusting thing happen.

Who are these people that claim to have some sort of metaphysical connection with the desires of the now deceased Steve Jobs?

Do you know the man that intimately? Did you work with him? Did you grow up with him?

Did you even just once meet the man while he was living?

I didn't think so

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
I don't think these are iPhone parts at all being leaked. iPod + 3G. It makes sense to release now, anyway. See how people respond to the new screen size, upgrade finally to A5, build anticipation for now iPhone and give people an excuse to wait without talking about the next gen's battery, chip (CPU, Graphics, Ram), and other goodies. Explains the reason they didn't release an iPod last year.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
If this is indeed the final design of the next gen iPhone...my only question is what will the back be made out of?

I'm not so sure I dig the larger design, as it reminds me of going from the OG Droid to the Droix X all over again. Talk about a shock.

In the end I was delighted to go back to the smaller form factor of the iPhone 4. Currently using the 4S and I have to say I'm not too stoked about this taller redesign.

Then again, I'll be up front here and admit that I am never stoked about an Apple product until it's in people's hands and we hear from REAL users, not just those that can't get over the giddyness.

The X factor here is still what iOS 6 will entail and what additional features the phone will come with.

If it's just a taller screen and neat little features in iOS 6 that adapt to the change in real estate then I'm not so sure I will upgrade - undoubtedly the 4S will receive iOS 6...so the jury's still out with this ifan.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
As someone suggest in this thread, the 16:9 aspect ratio would sit perfectly with the future Apple TV. So you can play the native Apps on your TV without any black bars on side. And the same width will not force the accessory makers to refresh their products for new iPhone. It's a win-win if you ask me.
The problem is a 16:9 aspect ratio doesn't sit well with a smartphone, it's too tall in portrait and too short in landscape. On top of that, it breaks perfect compatibility with over 600,000 apps and requires developers to put in more effort not only for new apps but for old apps as well.

And these apps will still run with black borders on the Apple TV because the Apple TV's resolution won't be a multiple of the new iPhone's resolution. The only exception is games, which can be coded for a 16:9 aspect ratio already (some already are, for output to an HDTV), you don't need to go changing the iPhone's aspect ratio.

And many accessories would still need to be updated because the device is getting taller.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Well, considering the man brought Apple from almost bankruptcy to the wealthiest company on the planet, I would say he knew EXACTLY what he was doing! He did not make ANY mistakes.

All that proves is that you have a very selective memory. Everyone makes mistakes, and Jobs made his fair share too. I didn't realise the upside-down logo on laptops before Jobs' return was actually the correction of one of his earlier mistakes, but I just looked it up and it's true enough! (Thanks Jynto.)

One thing we can learn from Steve Jobs by looking at his life is that he was prepared to revise his opinion on things—not always in the most diplomatic manner mind you! There are countless stories of someone at Apple sharing an idea with him, him saying it was absolute cr*p, but then a few days later coming back with a complete reversal of opinion and going with it. There are other stories where he was actually talked out of some pretty bad decisions by others. And what he learnt from his past mistakes, at Apple and then NeXT, obviously served him well when he returned to Apple and rescued it. He made fewer mistakes this time around, and some truly brilliant decisions.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
There are other stories where he was actually talked out of some pretty bad decisions by others.

I recall the early stages of the iPhone, Jobs wanted to name it the "Magic Phone" (kid not).

Another incident, which I'm certain a few may know, occurred during the iPhone development. During a meeting of proposed ideas/prototypes, Jobs went off on a few involved. One of them was so distraught, she ran back to her office in tears and slammed her door so hard she couldn't get out. Not sure how exaggerated the details are but I recall firemen took a few hours to get her out. I'll have to google for that story. :p

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
What could it be, 3.95, 4.1 or even 4.05, I tingle with anticipation.

These are indeed heady times, to be alive!

Anaxarxes

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2008
Amsterdam, Netherlands
:(

iPhone is such a thoughtfully designed product. You can operate with one hand and your thumb could touch anywhere on the screen without hassle.

and now this happens. WTF is this *****?

I understand that battery technology does not evolve rapid enough for the demands of the consumer and technology. That's why we need bigger batteries, hence larger devices.

But I think SJ's involvement in this product is a BS news, I agree with commenters that this would never happen under his supervision.

iPhone represents the forgotten rule of designing devices: it is a product. not a phone, not a digital device, a product. And this long stick is a ruin of a master design.

There are tons of alternatives.

• Make the screen 1080*720 and make it 4" diagonal. At least you'd have the aspect ratio and current apps would scale up. Sure the icons would be looking larger but that's acceptable.
  • concentrate on developing the Ax chips on the smallest fab process possible. forget 32nm, go 28 even 22nm. This should be a priority.
  • Make the iPhone thicker for God's sake. I don't care if it's the thinnest, I want my 2-3 day moderate-heavy use battery life with the current design.
I was eager to upgrade my iPhone 4 for the new iPhone, but this does not appeal to me. At all.

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Compatibility going forward might be the key here. This iPhone might be the herald for a new Apple aspect ratio. If so then it will gel with the TV and probably the next gen iPads. The new MacBook Pro's and Airs might also give some clues. Guess we wait and then see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.