Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdj3820

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2012
Ohio
iPad mini versus iPod touch

I hope some realize the gap between the iPad Mini and the iPod Touch is getting closer... it will probably bridge the gap for those wanting a reader without either being a music and game player only, or a light software device. Then the Air 11" they have got their bases covered! Again... for those saying things to the effect of "Steve would never have allowed this", I hate to be callous, but he's not here. The culture he created is, and they seem to be holding their own.:apple:

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
Am I the only one who notices that something is not quite right in the first pic?

Agreed. The mini port is off center (too far right) leaving too much material left of the left speaker port.

The Apple logo looks anamorphic.

DaBoat

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2012
Is the smooth inside and lack of window a sign it could be liquid metal?

I agree some things don't look quite right but this part appears to have fewer signs of machining and I recall that Liquid metal allows wireless signals through. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Like on the new phone only if they are widescreen movies, otherwise no they will not look "awesome". Out of interest what percentage of your DVD collection is widescreen? Out of 700 dvd's I'm looking at 15%
Unless you're specifically referring to 16:9 DVDs and not just anything wide... I would say 95% of my collection is wide screen.

bonaccij

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
$299 - iPad Mini 16GB
$399 - iPad Mini 32GB
$499 - iPad Mini 64GB

You heard it here first folks.

Considering the ridiculously cheap price of flash storage, (~$1 per GB) they won't offer an 8GB version.

Source for the ~$1 per GB statement: http://www.isuppli.com/Teardowns/News/Pages/New-iPad-32-GB-4G-Carries-364-35-Bill-of-Materials.aspx

Apple will be able to pull their margins with a 16GB at $249 and a 32GB at $299. Or even 16GB Wifi @ $249 and a 16GB LTE model @ $299. That is what I'm hedging on. I'm pretty sure they need to be competitive in order to make this happen. People won't mind paying the $50 premium over Amazon's (and everyone else's) $199 for the "real deal". I can't see this being a full-fleged line like the regular iPad. I'm betting we will see one, maybe two, models so they can stay in the 7" field and really crank a profit.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
To all who think it's going to be $200, you are dreaming. The Nexus 7 is sold at cost, with a plastic cases and only 8GB storage. The iPad mini is going to be a full featured, high quality 7" tablet, something that doesn't yet exist in the marketplace. It's going to be for the consumer that wants a lighter, more compact tablet, not one who is trolling for the least expensive option.

This exactly!

This ridiculous fixation on price being the number one feature and reason to buy this device is so silly (and completely misunderstands Apple's business model). I want smaller iPad or larger iPod Touch in typical Apple style, not some cheap POS.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
It needs to be somewhere in the middle, even more so if things are of a different standard like lower resolution etc.. However I cannot imagine Apple selling any tablet for two hundred. Even two fifty is pushing it.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
My only concern is weight. I don't see how Apple can match or improve upon the nexus 7 lightness and still use aluminium. Carbon fiber would have sounded more doable. Of course that would clash with Apple's current styling, but the again I'm a function over fashion kinda bloke...

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
When are leaks not allegedly legitimate? The question is whether they are or not.
Very well said comment. It's up to us if the leaks are legitimate. I still say there won't be an iPad Mini this year. But this is the first supposed part leak of one. Or a fake. Looks more like a fake to me.

Anyways only a couple months away to a supposed October event that till dispel all the rumours. If no event then the rumours are dispelled too.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Got one of these already ... Its called a Nexus 7 and its very good and does a lot more than my iPad one thanks

I have both the new iPad (LTE) and a Nexus 7. Help me figure out what the Nexus 7 can do that the iPad can't? I've had the thing for nearly 2 months and while it is an excellent device for $200, I'm not sure (other than screen size) what I'm missing by using my iPad primarily.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
This exactly!

This ridiculous fixation on price being the number one feature and reason to buy this device is so silly (and completely misunderstands Apple's business model). I want smaller iPad or larger iPod Touch in typical Apple style, not some cheap POS.

Price isn't the number one - more like 1A. The combination of an Apple tablet at an affordable price (less than $499) will be hugely attractive to a lot of people. That being said I think $299 for 16GB is pretty accurate. Don't know they'll offer more storage than that (maybe 32GB at $349?). Again the goal of this device is to get those who have previously steered clear of Apple because of cost into the ecosystem and get them hooked.

Its a gateway device - and I'd betcha a pretty successful one at that.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
It’s not an iPad mini it’s a Jumbo iPod Touch. LOL
Useless. If anything Apple should make a larger 13-14 inch iPad with a better file system so we can browse files from different apps.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
I have both the new iPad (LTE) and a Nexus 7. Help me figure out what the Nexus 7 can do that the iPad can't? I've had the thing for nearly 2 months and while it is an excellent device for $200, I'm not sure (other than screen size) what I'm missing by using my iPad primarily.

I had a N7 for a week, and to be honest, there were 5 things I loved and terribly miss on my iPad:

1- An updated home screen with plenty of info available without having to open any app.
2- An excellent contacts app which allowed me to contact people directly via any app(gvoice, Skype, Facebook, etc) without having to open each app individually and then looking for the contact in there. Contacts where merged seamlessly.
3- Customizable keyboards. Loved Swype.
4- Really loved google now, and google's voice recognition in general. On and offline.
5-Consistent multitasking. When Skype was running in the background, it was really running, no missing notifications or any other crap like that.

What got me back to iPad though, was a prevalent sense in google, that my info wasn't safe, every time you install anything, you have to give apps so many different permissions it's just ridiculous. I know it's just a little paranoia, but in apple Eco, I feel somehow, safer(probably an illusion).

I also missed my favourite app on android, flipboard for tablets...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I had a N7 for a week, and to be honest, there were 5 things I loved and terribly miss on my iPad:

1- An updated home screen with plenty of info available without having to open any app.
2- An excellent contacts app which allowed me to contact people directly via any app(gvoice, Skype, Facebook, etc) without having to open each app individually and then looking for the contact in there. Contacts where merged seamlessly.
3- Customizable keyboards. Loved Swype.
4- Really loved google now, and google's voice recognition in general. On and offline.
5-Consistent multitasking. When Skype was running in the background, it was really running, no missing notifications or any other crap like that.

What got me back to iPad though, was a prevalent sense in google, that my info wasn't safe, every time you install anything, you have to give apps so many different permissions it's just ridiculous. I know it's just a little paranoia, but in apple Eco, I feel somehow, safer(probably an illusion).

I also missed my favourite app on android, flipboard for tablets...

See I prefer Flipboard on iPad....

As for those other things I guess I'm just too used to the way I do things on my iOS devices that it seems unnecessary. The only feature I think Google does better than Apple is Google Now. Much more responsive.

Never been a fan of widgets. The only things I'd want to check quickly are the date and time (on the lock screen), the weather (swipe down, also includes stocks) and scores (which the widgets I have on the N7 don't update consistently and only show 1 at a time). They also destroyed my battery life when I added a bunch of them.

ictiosapiens

macrumors regular
May 9, 2006
See I prefer Flipboard on iPad....

As for those other things I guess I'm just too used to the way I do things on my iOS devices that it seems unnecessary. The only feature I think Google does better than Apple is Google Now. Much more responsive.

Never been a fan of widgets. The only things I'd want to check quickly are the date and time (on the lock screen), the weather (swipe down, also includes stocks) and scores (which the widgets I have on the N7 don't update consistently and only show 1 at a time). They also destroyed my battery life when I added a bunch of them.

Yeah, that's what I mean about flipboard, the android version is made for smartphones, it only shows one story at a time, and it flips vertically which makes no sense on a tablet. I missed the iPad version.

And I do like widgets, or even live icons. I think windows phone got it just right...

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Hopefully, the introduction of the iPad mini between the iPod touch and iPad will set off a ripple effect through Apple's prices. If they really want to compete with the Nexus 7 and sell the entry level iPad mini for around $200, they might reprice the iPod touch somewhere in the $150-199 range and then bring down the prices of the lower level iPods too.

Or they'll discontinue the iPod touch and fill the void with the iPad mini.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.