Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
A rounded edge would be extremely welcome if it has one. I don't know why Apple insists on making the iPad3 & iPad 2 with such a ridiculously sharp edge. We have to hold these things you know!! That edge gets into the creases of your fingers and after holding it for a bit of time it's very uncomfortable. Bring on the rounded edge!!

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Yeah, that's what I mean about flipboard, the android version is made for smartphones, it only shows one story at a time, and it flips vertically which makes no sense on a tablet. I missed the iPad version.

And I do like widgets, or even live icons. I think windows phone got it just right...

Ya Windows phone 8 has some great qualities....I just don't like the look all that much. Not a fan of the blocks....then again I haven't played with it all that much on a touchscreen. Need to get a surface pro when they arrive

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Fake. Am I the only one that noticed the Apple logo is in landscape? It should be in portrait.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
Its called the MacBook Air.

I don't want a laptop I want a good tablet. i.e. NO KEYBOARD and has a multi touch screen. Does the Air have a multi touch screen? What’s wrong with wanting a laptop replacement? You fanboys sure love to defend everything Jobs says. Sure the ipad is awesome, but because of the restrictions it can’t be what it should be.
That’s ok. I’m guessing the new tablet from MS will.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I don't want a laptop I want a good tablet. i.e. NO KEYBOARD and has a multi touch screen. Does the Air have a multi touch screen? What’s wrong with wanting a laptop replacement? You fanboys sure love to defend everything Jobs says. Sure the ipad is awesome, but because of the restrictions it can’t be what it should be.
That’s ok. I’m guessing the new tablet from MS will.

Yikes, take it easy....

I am in no way a fanboy. Just offering up the point of view that a 13-in iPad isn't far off from a MacBook Air. Lol bad day?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
If the iPad Mini is more than 299 - then they've missed the mark based on what Amazon just announced.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
A rounded edge would be extremely welcome if it has one. I don't know why Apple insists on making the iPad3 & iPad 2 with such a ridiculously sharp edge. We have to hold these things you know!! That edge gets into the creases of your fingers and after holding it for a bit of time it's very uncomfortable. Bring on the rounded edge!!

+1 on this.

I predict Apple will eventually re-design the iPad (3) case to fix the poorly-designed edges of the device. It is too difficult to hold upright comfortably. I thought the case design of iPad 2/3 was poor the very first time I picked up an iPad 2 and I still think so today.

Round those edges Apple!

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Apple will be able to pull their margins with a 16GB at $249 and a 32GB at $299. Or even 16GB Wifi @ $249 and a 16GB LTE model @ $299. That is what I'm hedging on. I'm pretty sure they need to be competitive in order to make this happen. People won't mind paying the $50 premium over Amazon's (and everyone else's) $199 for the "real deal". I can't see this being a full-fleged line like the regular iPad. I'm betting we will see one, maybe two, models so they can stay in the 7" field and really crank a profit.

Considering the Kindle HD 4G LTE is $499 for 32GB, this is never happening.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Considering the Kindle HD 4G LTE is $499 for 32GB, this is never happening.

Devil is also in the details. For $50 a year - you get 250mb data month + cloud storage + basically a $10 rebate in the shape of an app store credit.

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Devil is also in the details. For $50 a year - you get 250mb data month + cloud storage + basically a $10 rebate in the shape of an app store credit.

You make a good point. And also I forgot to mention that it's an 8.9" screen, while the iPad mini would be roughly 7"-7.8".

But nonetheless, I still don't see any LTE versions being less then $399. Apple knows they could milk it at that price point. But they could blow my mind and be extremely competitive. We'll see.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
oh yeah this looks really fake!

It might for all we know be a real design but these look like renders or even renders on top of a design. The mini will almost certainly (if it is coming) be a direct emulation of the current ipad design with new dock only.

bassfingers

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2010
First, this is fake. So fake. Look at the bottom left hand corner of the first picture

If Apple releases a small ipad, it will be no less than $300. I would be surprised if it were even that low. It would devalue the full size iPad

Emathieu

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone who actually thinks that an "iPad Mini" would cost $199 - may I remind you that the 8GB iPod touch costs $199? A 32GB touch is $299...

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
First of all, that's an ignorant comment.
Because... ?
Please, lets not leave accusations baseless.

You're not taking into account the hundreds of millions of dollars they spent on R&D. (And then there's shipping fees, rent to pay on all their worldwide locations, electrical bills, employees to pay, etc.)
The cost for all this is the same regardless of the device's memory capacity. It doesn't excuse such a huge markup for an upgrade that costs them so little.

Second of all, why are you targeting "Apple" and "iPad/iPhone/iPod" about 'milking' the customer, when every single company does this?
Because the other companies have SD/MicroSD expansion slots? So you have the choice of buying their expensive memory upgrade or buying one yourself in a less expensive form or at a later time when memory prices have fallen? Whereas with an iDevice whatever capacity you buy you're stuck with for the life of the device, so if you find down the line you need more space from a growing app collection or iTunes media library you're SOL unless you buy a whole new device, when an owner of other products can buy a much cheaper expansion card?

Am I being ignorant yet?

twiggy0

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
Because... ?
Please, lets not leave accusations baseless.

All the sentences after that were the 'base'.

The cost for all this is the same regardless of the device's memory capacity. It doesn't excuse such a huge markup for an upgrade that costs them so little.

So lets say company A makes a product that they want to sell for $100. It costs them $50 to make. They used $10,000 in R&D. They only end up selling 100 of them over the course of the first year. That means they made negative $5000 the first year. (I'm not including dozens of other costs) The numbers are obviously way off in Apple's case, but basically yes, it does allow a huge markup.

I run a business myself where the markup seems 'huge', but after accounting taxes, operating costs, shipping cost, credit card fees, employee wages, rent, electrical bill, water, shipping supplies, business assets and returns, it gets drastically cut down.

Because the other companies have SD/MicroSD expansion slots? So you have the choice of buying their expensive memory upgrade or buying one yourself in a less expensive form or at a later time when memory prices have fallen? Whereas with an iDevice whatever capacity you buy you're stuck with for the life of the device, so if you find down the line you need more space from a growing app collection or iTunes media library you're SOL unless you buy a whole new device, when an owner of other products can buy a much cheaper expansion card?

This is a whole other debate, that I'd rather avoid.

Am I being ignorant yet?

You tell me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.