Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oof, 4070ti's are still in stock (newegg aand Bestbuy).
I can't say that I'm surprised. I'm sure they'll sell but from what little I've heard the 4080 is largely a flop and the 4070ti is following its foot steps

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I’m Going back and forth between RTX 4090 desktop (pre-build) or a RTX 4090 laptop. The 13 gen Intel mobile processors are incredibly powerful and could potentially rival some 3000 series desktops

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I’m Going back and forth between RTX 4090 desktop (pre-build) or a RTX 4090 laptop. The 13 gen Intel mobile processors are incredibly powerful and could potentially rival some 3000 series desktops
I have to imagine that Raptor lake processors, coupled with a 4090 will be producing a lot of heat, and given the tight confines of a laptop, the fans will be something to contend with. That may not be an issue for you, but I'm just pointing that out.

I think depending on what you have, a new laptop running 13th gen intel + 4090, is going to be very expensive, where as as desktop could be less expensive.

Also food for thought, you may save some money if you opt to build one yourself, but that all depends on your free time, and experience. It takes time and effort to do the research, and investigation, then the time investment to building it.

Reactions: hovscorpion12

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I have to imagine that Raptor lake processors, coupled with a 4090 will be producing a lot of heat, and given the tight confines of a laptop, the fans will be something to contend with. That may not be an issue for you, but I'm just pointing that out.

I think depending on what you have, a new laptop running 13th gen intel + 4090, is going to be very expensive, where as as desktop could be less expensive.

Also food for thought, you may save some money if you opt to build one yourself, but that all depends on your free time, and experience. It takes time and effort to do the research, and investigation, then the time investment to building it.
The 13 gen don’t use Raptor. They actually retain the Ada Lake architecture as the desktops miniature to mobile.

I’ve priced a custom build at $3,500 and a pre-build at ~ $3,800 to $4,100.

I’d imagine the laptop versions to be priced between the $3,500 and higher.

The main concern is the connector heat that has been going around regarding the 4090 burning.

I’m in no rush, but am considering an upgrade this year.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So it looks like Nvidia is pushing hard to promote to the 4060 (non-ti) card. They gave Jayz permission to post 1080p Cyberpunk results of the 4060 before the embargo is lifted.

If you're coming from an RTX 2060 like I am, there seems to be a bit of an uplift of 20FPS, and you get DLSS 3 along with the card. Price wise its 300 bucks which for me is acceptable. With my gaming occurring more on the PS5, I don't want to sink too much $$ into my desktop right now. In mid August my state will have a tax holiday and who knows by then Nvidia may discount this card (and others).

AFAIK, the embargo is being lifted on June 28th with the card for sale on the 29th. This may catch some budget conscience buyers fancy as gets them into the DLSS 3.0 world (though not many games support this)

This came up on my youtube feed, I never heard of him before so take it with a grain of salt

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
So it looks like Nvidia is pushing hard to promote to the 4060 (non-ti) card. They gave Jayz permission to post 1080p Cyberpunk results of the 4060 before the embargo is lifted.

If you're coming from an RTX 2060 like I am, there seems to be a bit of an uplift of 20FPS, and you get DLSS 3 along with the card. Price wise its 300 bucks which for me is acceptable. With my gaming occurring more on the PS5, I don't want to sink too much $$ into my desktop right now. In mid August my state will have a tax holiday and who knows by then Nvidia may discount this card (and others).

AFAIK, the embargo is being lifted on June 28th with the card for sale on the 29th. This may catch some budget conscience buyers fancy as gets them into the DLSS 3.0 world (though not many games support this)

This came up on my youtube feed, I never heard of him before so take it with a grain of salt
Yeah the 1080p limit interesting. They capped the early preview at that number because higher resolutions make the 3060 (12GB) look better.

I do agree with Jay, maybe this should have been a $260-$280 card.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah the 1080p limit interesting.
My thinking it is, that the FPS uplift is most prevalent at 1080p and nvidia is trying to get out ahead of the reviews that will basically call this card mediocre (I'm guessing). The meager ram allotment will probably be more pronounced at higher resolutions, so Nividia is trying to mitigate the bad news

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
My thinking it is, that the FPS uplift is most prevalent at 1080p and nvidia is trying to get out ahead of the reviews that will basically call this card mediocre (I'm guessing). The meager ram allotment will probably be more pronounced at higher resolutions, so Nividia is trying to mitigate the bad news
I am not sure the reviews are going to be worse than the 4060ti ones. This whole generation is being received poorly (for both AMD and nvidia).

To be fair, coming from a 10-series or 20-series card this gen is fine, if not a bit on the expensive side.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
20-series card this gen is fine
That's where I'm at. I'll not rush into any purchase as I currently don't have any games that are pushing my 2060 terribly. I am looking forward to Starfield, and I wouldn't mind a better card for more FPS at a higher detail level.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's Hardware Unboxed addressing the "preview" videos related to the 4060 before the embargo is lifted and it aligns to why I think nvidia did it.

I queued up the video to this specific question as the video is not dedicated to the 4060

Reactions: diamond.g

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
To be fair, coming from a 10-series or 20-series card this gen is fine, if not a bit on the expensive side.

I finally replaced my 1060 with a 4070 and it's been great. I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means, but one big benefit I've seen is that because I'm not pushing the card, it's been silent at times when my 1060 would be loud. I haven't appreciated how nice a silent (desktop) computer has been until now.

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The embargo is being lifted
Here's gamernexus' I'm currently watching this

Here's LTT's take and boy they came out swinging

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I still think for me and my needs the 4060 is a potential replacement for my 2060. I'm holding off, for a month and 1/2 and hopefully we'll see some sales/discounts later in August.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's Jayztwocents

I guess he got a lot of flack for the early access preview (that I posted above). I don't know why he's surprised. It was clear even to a toddler that Nvidia was trying use influencers to push some positive spin on what will largely be a negative reaction from the community

This was on top of his team posting a positive RTX 4060 Ti and it was so bad they had to pull the video and Jayz had to basically offer an apology.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I still think for me and my needs the 4060 is a potential replacement for my 2060. I'm holding off, for a month and 1/2 and hopefully we'll see some sales/discounts later in August.
Do you already have a Series X?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Last review I promise but I really like Nada's reviews she does away with the hyperbole, and histronics that other YT channels use, like GamerNexus. She plainly puts out the review and does it in a way that is easy to watch yet informative.

She reviewed two cards, and the her Gigabyte windforce card seemed to run rather hot - just putting it out there.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Eh from watching LTT’s video, the 4060Ti seems to not be bad if you want to 1440p game. OTOH, the same video clearly showed that my 3060Ti clearly punches above its weight class still.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
3060Ti clearly punches above its weight class still.
That's the sad part - nvidia knew full well their design choices would make the 4060 slower then the 3060 Ti. Just look at all of the talk about how energy efficient this is, to me that's really insincere since they were happy to sell truckloads of GPUs to miners. They just don't have any other metric to crow about on this card.

I'm on a 2060, and the 4060 is still on my short list though I am considering other options

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That's the sad part - nvidia knew full well their design choices would make the 4060 slower then the 3060 Ti. Just look at all of the talk about how energy efficient this is, to me that's really insincere since they were happy to sell truckloads of GPUs to miners. They just don't have any other metric to crow about on this card.

I'm on a 2060, and the 4060 is still on my short list though I am considering other options
It seems like everything but the 4090 is 1 tier too high. The 4060 would be crushing it as a 4050.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The 4060 seems to beat the RX 7600, but not the RX 6700xt I don't really want to put money down on a prior gen gpu, especially one that has such poor RT performance - at least compared to current gen cards.

I tested Nvidia’s new RTX 4060 against the RX 7600 — and it’s not pretty

Between the two, the RX 7600 is certainly the value play. You’re giving up ray tracing performance, and you don’t have access to DLSS 3, but you’re getting as good or better performance in rasterized games, which is really where a $300 GPU shines. That doesn’t mean you should ignore the RTX 4060 completely. You should just know that the $30 to $50 more you spend on it is largely going to ray tracing and DLSS 3, not higher performance overall.

If you have $300 to spend, though, I would take a serious look at the RX 6700 XT from AMD. It’s not great for ray tracing either, but it’s faster than both the RX 7600 and RTX 4060, and it’s around the same price.

Let me just say I'm enthralled with DLSS 3, however with AMD throwing money at major games, they're doing a good job (bad for consumers) blocking DLSS 3 adoption.

Luckily I have time on my side and I'm not making a decision to replace my 2060 too soon.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.