Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
The 4060 seems to beat the RX 7600, but not the RX 6700xt I don't really want to put money down on a prior gen gpu, especially one that has such poor RT performance - at least compared to current gen cards.

I tested Nvidia’s new RTX 4060 against the RX 7600 — and it’s not pretty

Let me just say I'm enthralled with DLSS 3, however with AMD throwing money at major games, they're doing a good job (bad for consumers) blocking DLSS 3 adoption.

Luckily I have time on my side and I'm not making a decision to replace my 2060 too soon.
It seems like the gist is: if you don't have with RT then it doesn't matter which card you get; if you do game with RT then go RTX because AMD RT is a generation behind.

Alternatively you also have to take into account how DLSS2 tends to have better IQ than FSR2 plus framegen doesn't have an alternative from anyone else yet.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems like the gist is: if you don't have with RT then it doesn't matter which card you get; if you do game with RT then go RTX because AMD RT is a generation behind.
That's the thing, how much RT do I need in a game? With Cyberpunk, I can live w/o it. I'm generally pleased with the my 2060, so that just goes to show you how hard I'm pushing the GPU and the types of games I'm playing. Hell, I just looked up my motherboard and I'm rocking PCI gen 3, not even gen 4. I don't want a GPU upgrade to suddenly turn into a money pit, i.e., upgrade my motherboard, and cpu, case, cooler etc.

Alternatively you also have to take into account how DLSS2 tends to have better IQ than FSR2 plus framegen doesn't have an alternative from anyone else yet.
I know there's a lot of hate with nvidia, and deservedly so, but I do think DLSS is a superior technology then FSR. The input lag with framegen would annoy me, so I don't think that's a thing I would want.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
That's the thing, how much RT do I need in a game? With Cyberpunk, I can live w/o it. I'm generally pleased with the my 2060, so that just goes to show you how hard I'm pushing the GPU and the types of games I'm playing. Hell, I just looked up my motherboard and I'm rocking PCI gen 3, not even gen 4. I don't want a GPU upgrade to suddenly turn into a money pit, i.e., upgrade my motherboard, and cpu, case, cooler etc.

I know there's a lot of hate with nvidia, and deservedly so, but I do think DLSS is a superior technology then FSR. The input lag with framegen would annoy me, so I don't think that's a thing I would want.
Oh you are on PCIe Gen 3? I would probably stay away from the mainstream entry level cards then because they are Gen4x8 which means if you go over frame buffer you will see even worse performance then you see now.

I guess you may not hit this issue if you play at 1080p medium settings, but turning RT on may cause issues depending on the game.

Yeah hardware accelerated upscaling is better than software upscaling. Maybe AMD should have came out with a hardware version like nvidia did but offer a software fallback (so basically take Intels XeSS route).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh you are on PCIe Gen 3? I would probably stay away from the mainstream entry level cards then because they are Gen4x8 which means if you go over frame buffer you will see even worse performance then you see now.
Yeah, that kind of sucks

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
I know there's a lot of hate with nvidia, and deservedly so
Regarding pricing, that reasonably goes for most companies nowadays. The pandemic especially has fueled (an excuse for) companies to press profit margins to the bleeding edge.

Anyway (but still related to whining/complaining)...

Hate is trendy/ing. Just one example:

Phil (i.e., JayzTwoCents) received backlash, claiming, in part, the comparisons were purposefully misleading, on their posted 4060 Ti piece/review, pulled the video, and even got Jay to apologize. However, the truth was Phil’s choice to make a buy recommendation based significantly on two generations back (i.e., 2060 Super comparison) was a reasonably/realistically fresh change of perspective.

While I can cite Steam’s data, which (still) shows a substantial amount of their users utilizing 10 and 20 series GeForce cards:

Let’s also look right here:
I finally replaced my 1060 with a 4070 and it's been great.
I'm generally pleased with the my 2060

Basically, take all of those “reviews” as a grain of salt/sand. Remember, most of the popular social media is also capitalism, adjusting and justifying their message based on things such as “we need to appease the algorithm."

Last edited:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Regarding pricing, that reasonably goes for most companies nowadays. The pandemic especially has fueled (an excuse for) companies to press profit margins to the bleeding edge.

Anyway (but still related to whining/complaining)...

Hate is trendy/ing. Just one example:

Phil (i.e., JayzTwoCents) received backlash, pulled the video, and even got Jay to apologize on their posted 4060 Ti piece/review claiming, in part, the comparisons were purposefully misleading. However, the truth was Phil’s choice to make a buy recommendation based significantly on two generations back (i.e., 2060 Super comparison) was a reasonably/realistically fresh change of perspective.

While I can cite Steam’s data, which (still) shows a substantial amount of their users utilizing 10 and 20 series GeForce cards:

Let’s also look right here:

Basically, take all of those “reviews” as a grain of salt/sand. Remember, most of the popular social media is also capitalism, adjusting and justifying their message based on things such as “we need to appease the algorithm."
It really is all a matter of perspective. The 4060 is basically as fast as a 2080, with DLSS 3 and a cheaper MSRP (and lower TDP). That isn't a bad thing, it just seems like not as big of a jump as folks were hoping for.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
That's the thing, how much RT do I need in a game? With Cyberpunk, I can live w/o it.

I've been very underwhelmed with RT in games, to the point where I just leave it off. It certainly makes sense for you to hang onto your 2060 at least until you're ready to upgrade the rest of your machine.

Reactions: maflynn

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
It really is all a matter of perspective. The 4060 is basically as fast as a 2080, with DLSS 3 and a cheaper MSRP (and lower TDP). That isn't a bad thing, it just seems like not as big of a jump as folks were hoping for.

Greedia would never jump when there is no real competition especially AI

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It certainly makes sense for you to hang onto your 2060 at least until you're ready to upgrade the rest of your machine.
I'm actually upgrading my Ryzen machine right now. I just installed 64GB of ram this past weekend. I'm hoping to snag a 5600X3D from microcenter this weekend, and next month I'm going to upgrade the GPU. Given the small case, and restricted air flow, I am leaning towards the 4060, but I'll not take the plunge until next month at the earliest.

Reactions: dmr727

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Greedia would never jump when there is no real competition especially AI
Historically they had been giving large increases in performance for the “same” price. Now we do get a performance improvement but the prices are also going up (let’s ignore how the 3060 was actually more expensive than the 4060).

drugdoubles

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2023
Historically they had been giving large increases in performance for the “same” price. Now we do get a performance improvement but the prices are also going up (let’s ignore how the 3060 was actually more expensive than the 4060).

Amd provides almost zero value for AI, Greedia is leading too much now.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Now we do get a performance improvement but the prices are also going up
The games nvidia played muddied the waters as well. The 4060, as you mentioned is really a 50 series card in terms of specs and is slower then a 3060-ti. The 4080 12GB that was unceremoniously unlaunched after a huge amount of backlash.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The games nvidia played muddied the waters as well. The 4060, as you mentioned is really a 50 series card in terms of specs and is slower then a 3060-ti. The 4080 12GB that was unceremoniously unlaunched after a huge amount of backlash.

This is the reason I had a hard time opening my wallet and giving them by business. I was ready to jump ship to AMD, but I have too many half-completed CUDA projects that I keep telling myself I'll finish. ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This is the reason I had a hard time opening my wallet and giving them by business
No question, I'm no nvidia fanboy but I'm not really liking what AMD is offering plus for the price of the 7600, I'm getting a slower GPU. I could get the 6700XT but I'm not sure my tiny case, and power supply would handle that. Also I'm having an issue with buying last generation, if I'm going to spend money, I want current gen

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
No question, I'm no nvidia fanboy but I'm not really liking what AMD is offering plus for the price of the 7600, I'm getting a slower GPU. I could get the 6700XT but I'm not sure my tiny case, and power supply would handle that. Also I'm having an issue with buying last generation, if I'm going to spend money, I want current gen
That resolution do you game at (and what games do you play)? I wonder if an Arc A770 would be a better choice. It comes with more RAM and is as fast or faster than the 4060 in a lot of newer titles.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
? I wonder if an Arc A770 would be a better choice.
Mostly 1440p, though I'll select 1080p for performance sake.
That resolution do you game at (and what games do you play)?
Yeah, I was kicking that card around, but I really don't trust intel in supporting the platform, they've done a horrible job rolling out the ARC series cards, and to be honest performance on the Arc GPU is still all over the place. Some games have great FPS, others unnervingly have horrible FPS.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Mostly 1440p, though I'll select 1080p for performance sake.

Yeah, I was kicking that card around, but I really don't trust intel in supporting the platform, they've done a horrible job rolling out the ARC series cards, and to be honest performance on the Arc GPU is still all over the place. Some games have great FPS, others unnervingly have horrible FPS.
Yeah, from what I have read Intels driver support is fine but there is no telling how long they will actually support the hardware, especially since they have done separate (dedicated) graphics since the i740 (I am 100% ignoring DG1).

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
I *really* wanted to support Intel's aggressive pricing by going with Arc, but got spooked because I still spend so much time with older titles - didn't want to wait around for the drivers to catch up. I wish them all the success in the world, though.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but got spooked because I still spend so much time with older titles
Yep, I play older games mostly myself. I'm looking for an upgrade due to Starfield coming out, though the irony is that AMD and Bethesda signed an exclusive so, we'll most likely not even have DLSS offered. Maybe I'll re-evaluate the 7600 again ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
An interesting video on why the RTX 4060 is really a xx50 class machine. I like what he had to say, and its quite plausible that this card was going to be a 4050 card

• Wow
Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.