Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
They are following the money.
That's what scares me the most. It feels like Apple is indeed following the money too much here over what has made Apple great in the past. Great products.

I own a 21.5 iMac. I tried the 27 at the store. And it was so not for me. I could not see the entire screen at once I had to focus on parts of it at a time and my eyes kept darting around the parts of the screen. It was just too big for my liking. But on the other hand I can understand that a 27 iMac has a place and it's great for those who like it. I can see how it's a good idea. Just saying that to show I understand different screen sizes have their place when done right.

I don't see this for the oversized phones. But tomorrow will answer all our questions. Who cares if a few people (who agreed with Jobs way of doing things in this respect) are disappointed, the masses will have their oversized phones and will be thrilled to death about them. That's all that Apple care about these days right? Pleasing the masses?

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
When it comes to one handed use, outside of Apple forums... No. Body. Cares.

I care. I use my phone outside (shock I know!) and sometimes when I'm outside I carry things. When I'm carrying things it's nice to be able to call someone or answer a call without stopping to put them down. Even if I'm a really bad boy and speak on my phone briefly while driving (for some reason many cars, even and especially the nice German ones, still don't include Bluetooth as standard!) then it's better if I can keep at least one hand on the wheel.

I work with a bunch of "normal" people who don't come on forums like this, get whatever phone Carphone Warehouse recommends with a deal and none, repeat none of them like the super-large 5"+ phone's they've tried, opting instead for the sub 5" models they can easily hold in, you guessed it, one hand.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
It seems lots of people hope Apple make a mistake like you do. It won't affect their bottom line but their reputation in my mind, making products that are jack of all trades and great at nothing.

A bigger phone would obviously be as good or better at everything than a smaller phone, so that doesn't really make sense.

contemascetti

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2010
If the 5,5" iPhone 6 has a 2,915 mAh capacity, I don't believe the 4,7" will have just 1,800 mAh.

From the iPhone 5s (4") to the 4,7" iPhone 6 the just will be only about 0,300 mAh, "reports claim". We are talking about 0,300 mAh for a 0,7" screen size bump.

For the 5,5", "reports claim" a bump about 1,1mAh for a 0,8" screen size bump (4,7" -> 5,5"). That doesn't make much sense.

You can't compare linear measures, you have to compare areas, that's what makes sense in battery requirements...
Passing from 4 to 4,7" screen is a +38% area increment.
Passing from 4 to 5,5" screen is a +89% area increment.
Also, we have to consider the pixel density bump for the 5,5" phone (3x), while the 4,7" is claimed to keep the current 2x density.

It looks like Apple has managed to optimize battery requirements for the new models, and only provide a battery capacity bump of 15% with the 4,7", even if the display is 38% larger.
The battery capacity for the 5,5" is 86% larger, and this time that's consistent with the 89% larger screen, but again, this doesn't have to make us skeptical about the minor bump reserved for the 4,7" device, because of the higher pixel density of the 5,5", which will likely require more energy.

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
What matters to me...

I jumped ship from an iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 last year. I did so for two reasons: screen size and capacity

• A 5.5" iPhone 6 screen ticks the first box for me. Handling an iPhone 5 now feels like a toy. It's just too small for my needs. I read an incredible amount of information throughout each day and that extra screen real estate really helps. Granted, I have somewhat under control rheumatoid arthritis and one hand operation when having to reach all the way across the phone can be a challenge on a bad day.
  • A base model iPhone 6 with only 16 GB, with a $100 premium to move up to 32 GB, might just be a deal breaker for me. My Note 3 came with 32 GB and $25 got me a 32 GB SD card to double my capacity. 16 GB just doesn't cut it anymore and the cost to get more with an iPhone is just ridiculous. A lot of my capacity issues could be helped by keeping more in the cloud, but 16 still feels archaic at this point.
These are the two items I will be watching for tomorrow.

----------

Reason I left iPhone was due to screen size but that was before all the great features I found on the note. So for me to leave the note the added features need to be there. But that's just me. Others might not care about the added features.

I will tell you there are two major features of my Note 3 that I literally never use...the stylus and split screen. I never have any good excuse to use the stylus and what apps you can use with split screen is limited unless you root (even if you root it's a PITA to get it to use additional apps).

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm starting to consider getting the 5.5" model. Somebody—anybody—talk me off of this ledge! What the hell is wrong with me??

It starts with the 5.5" rumors: "Fancy 13MP camera with optical image stabilization? Better screen? Amazing battery life? Sapphire glass coating? More RAM? Faster A8 chip? Comes in 128GB? Oh wow do want!"

Then I start to rationalize it: "I'm a guy with above average sized hands. At least I think they're above average? Yes, yes they absolutely are. Probably. And my pockets are a decent size. And I can always buy bigger pants if I need to, right? Sure. Bigger pants. Yep. And I'll have that iWatch thing, which will help with having a bigger phone. I can do this!"

Then I ask for help: "Help me, MacRumors, you're my only hope. No really, I've completely lost my damn mind! I'm literally just writing whatever pops into my head on a message forum. Ducks. Alligators. Soft cheese. Phablets." *sobs quietly in the corner* "I don't know who I am any more."

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
I'm starting to consider getting the 5.5" model. Somebody—anybody—talk me off of this ledge! What the hell is wrong with me??

It starts with the 5.5" rumors: "Fancy 13MP camera with optical image stabilization? Amazing battery life? Sapphire glass coating? More RAM? Faster A8 chip? Comes in 128GB? Oh wow do want!"

Then I start to rationalize it: "I'm a guy with above average sized hands. At least I think they're above average? Yes, yes they absolutely are. Probably. And my pockets are a decent size. And I can always buy bigger pants if I need to, right? Sure. Bigger pants. Yep. And I'll have that iWatch thing, which will help with having a bigger phone. I can do this!"

Then I ask for help: "Help me, MacRumors, you're my only hope. No really, I've completely lost my damn mind! I'm literally just writing whatever pops into my head on a message forum. Ducks. Alligators. Soft cheese. Phablets." *sobs quietly in the corner* "I don't know who I am any more."
The concern over it fitting in pockets is dramatically overblown. If my wife with her tiny girl jeans pockets can carry a large Note 3...a 5.5" iPhone 6 will be no issue either.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
That's what scares me the most. It feels like Apple is indeed following the money too much here over what has made Apple great in the past. Great products.

Apple always follows the money. They are great at making "us" believe that it's not about the money but look how readily they come off stances for the money: http://www.techlicious.com/blog/5-big-flip-flops-from-apple/

Who cares if a few people (who agreed with Jobs way of doing things in this respect) are disappointed

It was no different under Jobs either- he followed the money too. Jobs was very quick to flip flop. Note this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tim-Cook-says-Steve-Jobs-taught-him-about-flip-flopping_id30702

Building "great products" doesn't automatically fail when companies follow the money. In fact, one of the biggest reasons why a company gets the money is BY building great products.

I own a 21.5 iMac. I tried the 27 at the store. And it was so not for me. I could not see the entire screen at once I had to focus on parts of it at a time and my eyes kept darting around the parts of the screen. It was just too big for my liking. But on the other hand I can understand that a 27 iMac has a place and it's great for those who like it. I can see how it's a good idea. Just saying that to show I understand different screen sizes have their place when done right.

And I am just the opposite. I chose the 27" not because it made my eyes keep darting around the screen but because I recognized that for how I use it, the extra screen real estate would be GREAT. The 21" was too small for MY liking but I can see how it has a place and is great for those who like it.

Same with iPads.

Same with Apple laptops (in more than 2 sizes).

And, soon, same with iPhones.

Your view is just yours. Others are not you. Choices are good for consumers and it's great Apple is giving us some choices rather than continuing to play the one-size-fits-all game. I personally wish that Apple was also rolling out a 4" iPhone 6 for those who believe it is the perfect size. But it looks like Apple has calculated that the 4" crowd can be wooed to 4.7" easily enough.

I don't see this for the oversized phones.

Subjective. Just like that iMac: what you see as oversized, others will see as ideal for how they use iPhones. Apple is not adopting bigger sizes because they want to be "oversized"; they're following the money. The profitable market that buys these things wants "oversized" so badly, they are voting with their wallets, choosing Android over iOS so they can get a bigger screen. Now, Apple is going to give them the option of getting iOS on a couple of bigger screens. Nullifying a standout, competitive advantage will likely result in wooing many non-iPhone owners to iPhone. Much of the established iPhone crowd will just go right along too.

I suspect only a small segment will refuse to buy due to "oversized". If so, they'll still have the 5s and/or Android alternatives. If that group turns out to be much bigger than "small" so that Apple feels the pain of making a mistake in not rolling out a 4" iPhone 6, Apple will correct it's "mistake". I bet it doesn't happen but Apple will follow the money. If the money doesn't buy, then Apple will adapt.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I jumped ship from an iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Note 3 last year. I did so for two reasons: screen size and capacity

A 5.5" iPhone 6 screen ticks the first box for me. Handling an iPhone 5 now feels like a toy. It's just too small for my needs. I read an incredible amount of information throughout each day and that extra screen real estate really helps. Granted, I have somewhat under control rheumatoid arthritis and one hand operation when having to reach all the way across the phone can be a challenge on a bad day.

I think the only potential problem Apple will have with a 5.5" "phone" vs the competition is the reliance on thick bezel design yet again - the (rumoured) 4.7" iPhone is larger than the 5" screened Samsung Galaxy S4, the 5.5" iPhone could again be pretty huge compared to it's competitors which makes real-world usage again more limited - an iPad mini would probably suffice in most situations once it becomes hard or uncomfortable to pocket, you could always just Skype call or Facetime people... :)

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Legit Question: Do you all see a lot of Galaxy Notes in the wild? I don't. I would know because every time I see one, it's impossible to miss.

But most people I see out in the wild have a normal-sized smartphone of some kind. I will be interested to see exactly how many people are willing to jump to something so large.

If they put 128GB in the smaller iPhone, I'm cool with that. And if the camera and screen are better than my iPhone 5, that's good enough for me. I'd like the other stuff but it's coming up on winter here and my jeans don't have that big of pockets.

----------

My other thought/concern is that Apple is going to misjudge the demand for the two different sizes and we'll see an interesting supply/demand case play out here.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Surprise!!!

At 12:59 pm tomorrow, the Chinese guy takes off the rubber mask, like in Mission Impossible, and.......it's Walt Mossberg!!!!

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
That's it. I'll keep my mouth shut after this. If Apple wants to go iPhablet, they can. Apple can swim in it's profits from doing so. But they will have lost some of my respect for doing so.

If Apple class the phablets as something totally different to an iPhone then I won't be too disappointed but then you have the whole issue of too many SKU's which is bad. But replacing the iPhone with an iPhablet but still calling it an iPhone? That's loses some of my respect for Apple huge time. And this is coming from me, who used to be one of those Apple fanbois who believed Apple post Jobs 2nd coming could do nothing wrong. The funny thing is they one who is proving to me that i was wrong and Apple can do wrong is Apple itself.

Folks, Apple can make mistakes. And at this point Apple need to do more than just up the profits. 150 billion or 200 billion in the bank, at those crazy amounts it doesn't matter any more. If product quality/design suffers then what's the point. This is one of those moments where Steve Jobs would have solved the issue. He would have said "Phablets are **** end of story. Go away and make something that satisfies the customers needs but is a good product." No one at Apple can say no like this at Apple anymore. And if trends keep going in this direction, it won't be good for Apple's reputation (in my eyes at least).
The idea that a 5.5" iPhone somehow hurts the brand is preposterous.

----------

Apple always follows the money. They are great at making "us" believe that it's not about the money but look how readily they come off stances for the money: http://www.techlicious.com/blog/5-big-flip-flops-from-apple/

It was no different under Jobs either- he followed the money too. Jobs was very quick to flip flop. Note this: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Tim-Cook-says-Steve-Jobs-taught-him-about-flip-flopping_id30702

I would expect no less. They're first responsibility is to their shareholders. Too many people have this idealistic view of Apple as some utopian dream. It's a business where business decisions are made.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The concern over it fitting in pockets is dramatically overblown. If my wife with her tiny girl jeans pockets can carry a large Note 3...a 5.5" iPhone 6 will be no issue either.

My wife still complains to this day—two years after getting her iPhone 5—that it's too big for her pockets. She loved her iPhone 4. But even that started to wear through her pants in the corner that poked out towards the bottom right of her right pocket. I wouldn't consider my wife small—pretty close to average. Her iPhone 5 juts out of the top of her pocket by a small amount now, so not sure what she's going to do next. I hope they forever keep a 4" model around with last year's specs. My wife would actually prefer a colored plastic phone because then it "won't need a case" according to her. And she could get it in green. But she also loves iOS because it's not complicated and she is a heavy user of FaceTime with her deaf mom and using Photo Stream to share photos of our baby daughter with the family. So there's no switching at this point.

Side note #1: Shared Photo Streams are awesome. They keep you from blasting photos of your kid all over social media. Seriously use it guys!

Side note #2: I was in NYC last week and pretty much all of the Apple advertisements I saw were for the iPhone 5C. That was surprising. They were everywhere!

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Naming wise, I think that iPhone Air (4.7) and iPhone Pro (5.5) actually works pretty well and would bring it in line with the MacBooks.

Almost certainly won't happen though...

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
users should not be punished with lower end hardware because they want a smaller screen.
I will be annoyed if I ended up with an inferior device because I chose a smaller screen.

If you look at my second comment I mentioned about the multitasking, what I am trying to get at is that the 5.5" should not have higher spec hardware than the 4.7" apart from as you said a digitiser so you can use a pen or something, the base phone should be the same.

Its the image stabilisation rumour that is annoying me, why should the bigger phone get the fancy optical image stabilisation tech where the 4.7 which could no doubt easily fit it gets it left out, it has nothing to do with screen size or productivity its just greed if thats the case.

You guys really think Apple designers are purposely withholding features from the 4.7”? You don’t think they’ve made the 4.7” the best they possibly can in the size they have to work with? And you don’t think they would do the same with the 5.5”? Then isn’t it obvious that a bigger phone will be able to handle more features that require more space or power? It’s not an artificial lifting up of one and putting down of another. It’s plain old logistics. Don't be so paranoid.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The idea that a 5.5" iPhone somehow hurts the brand is preposterous.
Well an oversized phone will hurt the brand for some. I doubt the masses will care though. It does in my eyes.

----------

Subjective. Just like that iMac: what you see as oversized, others will see as ideal for how they use iPhones. Apple is not adopting bigger sizes because they want to be "oversized"; they're following the money. The profitable market that buys these things wants "oversized" so badly, they are voting with their wallets, choosing Android over iOS so they can get a bigger screen. Now, Apple is going to give them the option of getting iOS on a couple of bigger screens. Nullifying a standout, competitive advantage will likely result in wooing many non-iPhone owners to iPhone. Much of the established iPhone crowd will just go right along too.

The sheep can and do buy crap. That is voting with their wallets. Doesn't mean you should also design the same crap and sell it to woo the same customers over to you. Build/design something even better. That will woo over the same crowds and you'll have a better device as well.

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
Well an oversized phone will hurt the brand for some.
How so? What is your reasonable explanation for this?

If you don't want a larger phone, don't buy one. It's a company, not a movement. Either you choose to give them your business or you don't and you move on.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
How so? What is your reasonable explanation for this?

If you don't want a larger phone, don't buy one. It's a company, not a movement. Either you choose to give them your business or you don't and you move on.

If the iOS ecosystem didn't exist I'd agree with you. But being happy with a great OS/app ecosystem but seeing hardware for it come out like this (rumoured) can be disappointing for some. You can't just move on if you're app invested.

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
The sheep can and do buy crap. That is voting with their wallets. Doesn't mean you should also design the same crap and sell it to woo the same customers over to you. Build/design something even better. That will woo over the same crowds and you'll have a better device as well.

Your self-righteous condemnation of a slightly larger iPhone is rather humorous.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
It seems lots of people hope Apple make a mistake like you do. It won't affect their bottom line but their reputation in my mind, making products that are jack of all trades and great at nothing.

It's not going to be a mistake if they release a 5.5" personally i'm undecided if i will buy one, BUT i do hope they make one. Giving people the choice is good. A 4.7" iPhone is going to be great anyway, but the 5.5" gives people that extra screen for those who want it.

jrcorwin

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
If the iOS ecosystem didn't exist I'd agree with you. But being happy with a great OS/app ecosystem but seeing hardware for it come out like this (rumoured) can be disappointing for some. You can't just move on if you're app invested.
That ecosystem that you enjoy with the current iPhone would in no way be impacted by the introduction of a slightly larger model that coexists. You are whining about a product you don't even want and won't impact you.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I split my daily usage between a phone and a tablet.

If I can get a device that splits the difference size-wise (i.e., the alleged 5.5" iPhone 6) and has a battery big enough to take on double duty (i.e., ~3000 mAh), then I may have found my next phone and may switch back to iOS from my current Nexus 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.