Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gloomcookie1

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Coral Springs, FL
But they do. They don't want you jailbreaking for example. Buying Apple is more than buying an electronic device. You are buying the whole experience. Yet they went a route that allows scalpers to ruin it.

But they don't arrest you for jail breaking your device. Maybe they don't want you to but they don't stop you from jail breaking your iPhone or iPad. A lot of people jail break their devices all over and I don't see any repurcussions from them.

So that's not a great example.

If there wasn't apple stores you don't think people wouldn't be lined up at best buy's etc? You don't think they aren't there as well, is that Best Buy's fault that there are scalpers buying up all the iPad's there too?

Scalpers are going to be everywhere trying to exploit people whenever they can. Come down to Florida after a hurricane or any place there is a disaster when people need water, ice and gas or even food.

It happens and we just have to deal with it.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
Hard to believe that anyone would buy an iPad2 for $2000 dollars when if they wait a month they can get the most expensive model for $829. Once the iPad2 is sold overseas the grey market will disappear. Lets hope these scalpers get burned by discovering that there aren't as many fools in China willing to pay 2k per iPad2 that these guys think there are.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I dealt with it in nh and was going to lose my mind I can't imagine NYC. From now on I either preorder or Reserve for instore pickup.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Take the train out to long island. I was in an Apple Store yesterday and I didn't see any Asians (I feel bad about saying that).

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
From what I've heard there is no iPad 2 today in both W14st store and upper west side. Those waiting in line for hours are screwed

Would it make me a bad person that I am very happy with this?... :rolleyes:

How much does the scalper make waiting in line, anyone know?

If you can't beat em...

From what I have read, the following post from this thread sheds some light.

I am an Asian American who has been living at New York City for many years, and I want say something here about my iPad 2 shopping experience. There is something everyone should have known before making any comments.

On Friday morning, while I was waiting in the line in front of the 5th Ave store, I had a chance to chat with a Chinese woman who was a mother of a 10 year old boy. Here was what she told me in Chinese: " I am a mother of a 10 year old boy from Fujian province, China, and has moved with my family to the United States for few years. Unfortunately, I lost my job three months ago from a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown, and it is very hard to get a job because I don't speak English. Early this month, a Fujianese electronic reseller offered me a deal that if I could get iPad 2 for him on 3/11, and I would be rewarded for 100 dollars per unit. Therefore, I wake up around 4 am in the morning and commuted from Brooklyn to Manhattan. It is quick money, 200 dollars for two iPad 2." After telling this story, she begged me to get an extra ticket for her. Because I planned to get one only for my own use, I got an extra ticket for her.

After reading all the posts above, I want to say that it is not how many of you think that all the Asians are making lots of money by purchasing a great number of iPad 2. There are only few Asian resellers making profit by selling iPad 2 to China. It is true that they are selling about 1600 USD for the 16GB model in China during the first week of its release, but a big portion of that profit goes to the pockets of few Chinese resellers. The primary reason is that Apple has no plan to release iPad 2 in China in the coming future, and iPad 1 has been out of stock in many places in China. If people don't want to see lots of Asians buying iPad 2 and sending them to China, please ask Apple to sell more units of iPad in China. However, if Apple sells more units in China, are we going to be happy in the United States? I don't think so.

treebark7182

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I emailed a few Apple execs for this issue and Ron Johnson was kind enough to respond. He said they are aware of the issue but,

Which of course is absolutely right. However I do think that pre-orders/reservations, 1 per customer and CC would help with this problem.

I do not feel comfortable posting the whole email. I have no reason to lie, so whoever does not believe me, so be it.

I just would think there'd be some sort of international export law or something. I remember being on a train from the Czech Republic to Warsaw and them stopping the train and arresting a dude at gun point because he was trying to smuggle in cartons of cigarettes to sell at a profit because they were cheaper in Prague.........wth

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Come over to New Jersey. We don't play that scalper crap here. (Fist Pumps all around)

qpid

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2004
Sorry but limiting the number of iPads to 1 and requiring credit cards would just have this forum flooded with threads of "I wanted to buy X number for my family, why won't Apple take my money!?!??!!"

I worked for Apple way back at the retail level and the original iPhone had all of these issues from scalpers to backlash at requiring credit cards, etc. There is no winning.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Sorry but limiting the number of iPads to 1 and requiring credit cards would just have this forum flooded with threads of "I wanted to buy X number for my family, why won't Apple take my money!?!??!!"

I worked for Apple way back at the retail level and the original iPhone had all of these issues from scalpers to backlash at requiring credit cards, etc. There is no winning.

Nonsense! Charlie Sheen is #winning

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI

Yeah, plus then the scalpers would just clean out gas stations and grocery stores of their stocks of $3 prepaid Visa cards and the whole problem will start again.

Deliverator007

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
The only truly effective solution for the reseller problem is a global release at the same time as the US release. However, Apple would probably have had to wait like another month or something to stockpile sufficient quantities for a day one global release, so instead of a lot of end users in the US having to wait for an iPad, everybody would have to wait.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Welcome to the rest of the world where we can't get our hands on iPads either because they aren't on sale here yet. As long as they aren't on sale here, there will be a grey market supplied by easily accessible stores like the ones in NYC. Once the roll out comes to more countries, the situation will not doubt ease.

jmoore5196

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2009
Russellville AR
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but is there some reason why you guys (and gals) couldn't have gotten in line on Friday afternoon like I did?

I waited seven hours for my iPad 2 because I was certain the device would be hard to find for the next month or so.

I was at the Apple Store on 14th Street; by 5pm on Friday, the line stretched all the way to Tenth Avenue and up to 18th Street. I was there at 2pm, camped out about 300 feet from the store entrance. On reflection, I should have gotten there around noon; I would have cut an hour off my two-hour wait to actually get the product once the store started selling them.

Were the rest of you just unable to make it? Or did you just decide over the weekend that you wanted the new iPad?

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
However, some people do have responsibilities and need to work to pay rent and bill and put food on the table.

The scalpers don't need to work to pay rent and bill and put food on the table? When the iPad hits Asia legitimately, these people will be out of "work" and back to scaling fish in a dark basement somewhere in Chinatown. Since Bloomberg shut down their fake watch/bag industry on Canal St., there are hundreds of them with no income and no prospects. For some, scalping is the only thing keeping them going right now. Not saying it's not totally annoying, just saying everyone needs to eat.

For the most part, the scalpers are only buying one iPad per person. A mastermind is standing outside (not on Apple property) and giving money to individuals telling them to buy just one or two each.
What are you even talking about? Every scalper I saw on W14th was buying 2, which is the limit. None were buying just one. If they could buy 10 they would.

SoybeanStasher

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
Hard to believe that anyone would buy an iPad2 for $2000 dollars when if they wait a month they can get the most expensive model for $829. Once the iPad2 is sold overseas the grey market will disappear. Lets hope these scalpers get burned by discovering that there aren't as many fools in China willing to pay 2k per iPad2 that these guys think there are.
Have you seen how insane people are going waiting for their iPads to arrive (myself included)? I have no trouble imagining that people with the means are paying to relieve the pain of waiting, and China is minting new middle and upper class people every day.

But yes, the price will drop out in time and that's always a risk with scalping, which is why I've never had a problem with it. Whether it's tickets or iPads, there's risk and work involved in reselling that many of us aren't willing to do. Let 'em at it, I say.

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Their desire to make a couple hundred bucks by waiting for countless hours is worth it to them. It's obviously not worth it to us since we have better jobs with better pay and can afford to have a luxury item like the iPad. Their desire to make that money is greater than your desire to own an iPad that's all. If not, just take a day off and wait a night out for one.

Someone who misses the point on MacRumors?

Shocker.

I hope no stock comes to NYC for quite a while. Let them all sit out there for nothing.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Come over to New Jersey. We don't play that scalper crap here. (Fist Pumps all around)

LOL, pump it up bro!

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but is there some reason why you guys (and gals) couldn't have gotten in line on Friday afternoon like I did?

I waited seven hours for my iPad 2 because I was certain the device would be hard to find for the next month or so.

I was at the Apple Store on 14th Street; by 5pm on Friday, the line stretched all the way to Tenth Avenue and up to 18th Street. I was there at 2pm, camped out about 300 feet from the store entrance. On reflection, I should have gotten there around noon; I would have cut an hour off my two-hour wait to actually get the product once the store started selling them.

Were the rest of you just unable to make it? Or did you just decide over the weekend that you wanted the new iPad?

I could not make it on Friday. But even if I could I'd probably go just an hour before. I honestly did not expect such a huge turnout. I waited in line for the iP4. But I had a reservation and I knew that no matter what I would get one.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
To the OP: love what you do to release stress :D

EDIT: as a NYer I feel you. I live in Westchester and though I've decided for now not to upgraded to the 2 it occurred to me that I'd likely have better luck in the White Plains Mall shop, or the Danbury Mall. Can't be bothered for now though :)

If I decide to pull the trigger I'll likely just do a web order and wait...

Cici123

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2011
Since Apple did not take pre-orders, the one iPad per customer rule should have been implemented. It's not fair for customers who actually want an iPad and waited in line can't get one. I know, some people say wake up early to get in line. However, some people do have responsibilities and need to work to pay rent and bill and put food on the table.

SiMBa37

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
New York
EXACT same experience. In the Manhasset, NY store this morning, 22nd on line. 18 people ahead of me were Asian with little pieces of paper telling them what to get, and another 150 behind me, mostly Asian. They gave out about 10 to 15 vouchers, were taken up by the first 6 or 7 people on line, and that's.

This is a big F U to the scalpers. You did it. You beat me. After 4 separate days of waiting on lines, you beat me. I can't get my iPad. I'll settle for mail order. F U to Apple for allowing this ******.

I'm on the phone ordering from B&H right now.

UPDATE: I have a feeling that all of these Asians in the NY area are being coordinating by the same, or linked organization. They all seemed to know each other.

SiMBa37

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
New York

I don't think you were purposefully trying to be a d-bag with that statement, so to answer your question. Some of us have jobs and can't take off all day for a luxury device. I'm a physician, I had patients to see in the morning, and finished by 3:15, got to the store at 4 PM. There were 200 people in front of me, and they had run out by 6:30 PM and turned me away. I've tried every day since then, no dice. And the scalpers finally hit my neighborhood this morning, 100's of them on line, never seen them before. I gave up and ordered online from an authorized reseller.

I think you well know the people posting on here did not suddenly "decide on the weekend" they wanted an iPad. Stop asking rhetorical questions to trump your "achievement".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.