Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Dude it's St. Patricks day go out get drunk and get laid, forget about the iPad its just an electronic device and if you go a few weeks without getting one your life will not end. Some people can't live without getting their hands on Apple products right away. Is it really that serious? after the whole rush dies down in a week or two you'll be able to stroll into any Apple store and buy one.

fdot

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2008
I was in staten island this morning, they only got black wifi ones and only got like 19 of them. Anyway 2 groups of Asians in front of me and one behind me. I just left. I need an AT&T one. This Verizon one isn't cutting it. Anyone wanna trade black 32 verizon for AT&T one?

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Dude it's St. Patricks day go out get drunk and get laid, forget about the iPad its just an electronic device and if you go a few weeks without getting one your life will not end. Some people can't live without getting their hands on Apple products right away. Is it really that serious? after the whole rush dies down in a week or two you'll be able to stroll into any Apple store and buy one.

I agree. Still, if I go to the park and find a four leaf clover, should I go stand in line at Apple hoping for the gold at the end of a Asian rainbow?

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
And here we have Reason #934 why I'm happy not to live in New York. Without access to big chain stores like Target and Best Buy, your options get very limited. I guess you could always go out the Island or something...

MSUSpartan

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2008
And here we have Reason #934 why I'm happy not to live in New York. Without access to big chain stores like Target and Best Buy, your options get very limited. I guess you could always go out the Island or something...

There are a lot of Best Buys and Targets in the outer borroughs. The Target near the Fulton street mall is only one subway stop from Manhattan, not a big deal. But day to day I can not careless about big chain stores, I'd take the great NYC restaurants here over Chili's and Applebee's any day.

amammad

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005

LOL So going out and getting wasted is a better hobby than queuing for an iPad?

The iPad will be there the morning after unlike your boozy glow. That'll be honked down the toilet. :rolleyes:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Can someone film the ring leaders giving out cash?

But that only really applies if it's the same people complaining in both scenarios.

Personally, I rarely use cash so I couldn't care less if Apple didn't accept it.

I think a better quip is "You can't please everyone".

Exactly.

Turn away cash people and iPad 2 supply won't be messed up.

By allowing cash Apple is discriminating against actual US Apple customers.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
got my ipad 2 in NYC on the 11th with less than an hour waiting in line at the Elmhurst Target. laughing at all the people waiting in line at the snobby stores.

but then again the best buy downstairs in the same mall had a huge line that day and people probably waited for hours.

checked the online inventory and there are some Targets in NYC with inventory. i bet wal mart might have some as well, but people flock to the snobby apple stores

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

There are best buy stores in NYC. Not many of them compared to population density though.

Yeah, plus then the scalpers would just clean out gas stations and grocery stores of their stocks of $3 prepaid Visa cards and the whole problem will start again.

Apple was requiring only real credit cards for original iPhone.

GadgetAddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
got my ipad 2 in NYC on the 11th with less than an hour waiting in line at the Elmhurst Target. laughing at all the people waiting in line at the snobby stores.

but then again the best buy downstairs in the same mall had a huge line that day and people probably waited for hours.

checked the online inventory and there are some Targets in NYC with inventory. i bet wal mart might have some as well, but people flock to the snobby apple stores

Did you also call? Cause I did and they said they're all out. And that online inventory does not represent in-store availability.

Careful with the snob comment, some people take it seriously...

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Did you also call? Cause I did and they said they're all out. And that online inventory does not represent in-store availability.

Did you call on Friday? I did. The Best Buy and the Target in Atlantic Mall in Brooklyn both got a decent amount. I got to Best Buy at 4pm after working all day. There were only 15 people in line at that point. I think even people who showed up around 5pm got one. They only allowed one per customer. I'm pretty sure there were no scalpers. This was at Best Buy.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
After I get pissed and/or curious I do crazy stuff.. So I decided to get up really early today, go by a couple of Apple stores and check my chances of getting an iPad 2.

Around 5am I was at the West 14th store. My jaw almost dropped... 400+ waiting in line! 350+ were asian scalpers and they were up front of course. They had chairs and sleeping bags, clearly they had spent the night there.

20 mins later, around 5.20am, I was at the Upper West Side store. Line was smaller but again 200+. Once again the vast majority were asians and they were up front. Same situation, sleeping bags and everything. I did not even bother with the 5th Av and SoHo stores. I was looking for a 32/64 gig AT&T model, the ones that have the most demand so I did not even bother to wait in line. 200x2 = 400 iPads to be sold before me and I doubt the UWS gets high volumes daily.

I have nothing against Asians and I am not a racist. But I have much against these scalpers. All those being "liberal" and "open minded" saying US is a free country and everyone can do anything they want with their iPads once they buy them, essentially backing up the scalpers, well, you speak because you have NO idea what's going on in NYC. All the smarta$$ comments of "get up and go earlier" do not apply here. The asians have simply dominated. All those complaining that NY gets the most of the shipments, again, we are not buying them!! From what I have seen and read since launch day, I strongly believe that 90% of all iPad 2s sold in NYC go straight to the gray market.

So I am sorry to say this but for anyone in NYC, do not waste your time. This has been getting worse day by day and we are now at the point where it is simply impossible to get an iPad 2 from the Apple stores. Unless Apple does something I only see this getting worse until the gray market is saturated. It comes to show the power of masses...

Actually, I think its the more conservative minded who defend this form of "free enterprise" and "capitalism". Its the more liberal minded who think its unfair, opportunistic and immoral.

Deliverator007

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
you guys simply won't beat them. These guys are prepared to stand in line for next few weeks.

Absolutely. They are standing in line to feed their kids, whereas we just want our Infinity Blade to run a little smoother than it runs on the iPad we already own. The motivations are different by an order of magnitude.

langis.elbasunu

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Chicago
they really have every right to scalp the ipads...its just like tickets to concerts and sporting events. It sucks but thats the way it is and its actually puts more money into the economy.

Solfeggio4

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
An employee from the 5th Ave. store told me a couple of days ago that my biggest obstacle in finding an iPad this week would be competing against "the foreigners" who haven't had it released in their country yet (and the AT&T 3G is especially difficult since it can be used internationally). Instead of popping in to Apple Stores every few hours, I just went to a Best Buy and put my money down on the exact make/model I want. They said it should be in in about a week, and they'll give me a call when it arrives. SO much easier than dealing with all the tourists.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Absolutely. They are standing in line to feed their kids, whereas we just want our Infinity Blade to run a little smoother than it runs on the iPad we already own. The motivations are different by an order of magnitude.

The ringleaders of this are rolling in cash. How else do you think they can afford to buy dozens or even hundreds of $800 iPads?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
yet it remains a bountiful and lucrative industry there.

Unfortunately, the cops have more important things to deal with, so it will continue to go unpunished.

I have no problem with a person reselling a few iPads or tickets or whatever. But these professional scalpers, who deal with hundreds of items, are scum.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
We have ONLY Apple to blame for this as they lacked stock for a new product introduction! They knew it but decided to go ahead and introduce the iPad2 likely a month or tow early just because of their greed.

No hard done as their loyal fan base will forgive them for anything!

OK, Apple could have waited until say, May 1st to release it, then you could buy it then without a wait.

Or you could go online now, order one and get it before May 1st.

What's the problem again?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.