Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I would actually rather they make the camera flush with the body again, rather than increasing pixels.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Dang. Is Macrumors struggling??? I think this "Rumor" was already posted like last month?? Every time I come to this site, its either an old rumor or about the Apple Watch.. Sheesh :confused:

It's like the morning news...when there is no news, it's just a rehash of old stuff, otherwise it's "crickets"--nothing. I just scan the front page and when I see "Apple Watch", "next iPhone", etc., I just move along.

----------

I would actually rather they make the camera flush with the body again, rather than increasing pixels.

I would rather a nice 40MP job like the Lumia 1020, but unless they provide external storage (micro SD, which they never will) they need to keep the megapixels down.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
meh....will be a nice bump and offer a bit better IQ in some cases depending on how the images are used. will likely help in terms of noise when images are down-sampled for online use or printing. will also yield more detail in landscape/outdoor shots. larger prints will also have a bit better sharpness quality about them without introducing as many artifacts.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
Careful I got yelled at for questioning his accuracy lol

Lol it's not even his accuracy (which isn't any better than others), but the way Macrumors presents him. He's mentioned frequently on this site, but always gets a grand introduction like we need a reminder he's THE BEST.

horsebattery

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2013
Least they have iCloud Photo Library - a little cheaper to get GB via that than the $100 upgrade for more GB on the iPhone
You kinda still need to have sufficient internal storage to upload the content. With the OS as it is currently, you can elect to only store a minimally sized version on your phone after the upload, but the initial size requirement is still there.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
meh....will be a nice bump and offer a bit better IQ in some cases depending on how the images are used. will likely help in terms of noise when images are down-sampled for online use or printing. will also yield more detail in landscape/outdoor shots. larger prints will also have a bit better sharpness quality about them without introducing as many artifacts.

Due to optics/sensor size/focal length, there is a resolution limit linked to lighting conditions. Even at 8MP, they had to put a bump in to keep the picture quality quality; some people think Apple did that for kicks...

At best, in good outside light, you'll get a bit better details. In all other lighting conditions you run the risk of getting a worse result. If Apple is able not to lose low to medium light performance while giving slightly better good light performance, they'll do it (a 12MP sensor). Otherwise the resolution will stay the same; there is a lot more to a good image quality than MP. My Canon G16 (backup camera to my 5D) is only 12MP, less than many Android phones, yet it kicks their ass up and down the street.

Last edited:

byke

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2007
LDN. UK
No matter what they update, i am sure they will all suffer the same issues at the start as they do with every release. Which will require a software fix that takes too long to come or a replacement.

Personally I would like to have seen a bigger screen incorporated into the 6s.
Xiaomi has the same foot print as the 6, yet its 2.something mill wider and it has a 5" screen.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
But, but, every loyalist has insured me that megapixels don't matter. In fact they laugh at those that get excited to have more megapixels on cameras that also have as good or better image quality than the iPhone, ie. Note 4 and GS6. So I I'm guessing we'll see the loyalist upset about this rumor.

Last edited:

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
Personally I'd rather have larger pixels and stick with 8MP, but 4K video is not entirely worthless on a bright sunny day.

I have used 3rd party apps to shoot 3K video with the current iPhone and the quality is significantly better than 1080p. Again, in optimal shooting conditions only.

You actually only need 9MP for 4K video, but the extra 3MP would allow for some image stabilization. If you shoot 3K with the current iPhone, no stabilization is possible.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
But, but, every loyalist has insured me that megapixels don't matter. In fact they laughed at those that are excited to have more megapixels on cameras that also have as good or better image quality than the iPhone, ie. Note 4 and GS6. So I I'm guessing we'll see the loyalist upset about this rumor.

MPX isn't the overall deciding factor on image quality, especially when you're dealing with extremely small sensors that can make IQ degrade by being too dense.

However, There are benefits to going to 12mpx. Such as ability to record video in 4k resolution.

4k is 3840x2160
8mpx is 3264x2448.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
But, but, every loyalist has insured me that megapixels don't matter. In fact they laughed at those that are excited to have more megapixels on cameras that also have as good or better image quality than the iPhone, ie. Note 4 and GS6. So I I'm guessing we'll see the loyalist upset about this rumor.

I think a lot of people were responding to the notion that the 16mp camera in an example phone meant the camera was twice as good as the 8mp iPhone camera.

Just like some people cannot fathom why people buy an iPhone when you can get a higher-spec'd Android phone for the same money. They assume you're only buying a bag of parts.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I love my iPhone 6 and its camera. Like most, it has replaced all my point and shoot cameras. The other day a friend brought their DSLR over and took some pictures and I was blown away. I had forgotten how good the depth is on DSLR pics compared to point and shoots.

Really wish Apple could defy the laws of physics and find a way to create pictures that are as flat as their UX or phones.

Jakexb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2014
I think Grueber is right still, just in a different way.

Apple bought a company that has the IP for a beam splitting prism that uses 3 sensors instead of one + optical zoom mechanism. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next iPhone.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

It's not that it doesn't matter, it matter less than having a overall good pictures in most lighting conditions. There is a low to medium light tradoff to increasing the MP count while being unable to increased the sensor size (because or optics). There is a limit to the actual resolution those little somewhat cheap lenses can resolve no matter what size/mp sensor you put behind them.

Apple will only increase MP count if low or medium light performance doesn't become worse than it is now, which is not a given. They won't give better outside good light performance priority over all other factors; especially when so many Iphone pictures are taken indoors.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I know for a fact that the camera will have a higher pixel count than the current camera. The reason: iCloud storage charges.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Changing the chassis would be necessary anyways since there are rumors about using a different version of an aluminum body to avoid dealing with "bend-gate" again. I cannot wait for the "unknown feature" Apple will put into the 6S/6S+ since it could be just be something unforeseen and awesome.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Due to optics/sensor size/focal length, there is a resolution limit linked to lighting conditions. Even at 8MP, they had to put a bump in to keep the picture quality quality; some people think Apple did that for kicks...

At best, in good outside light, you'll get a bit better details. In all other lighting conditions you run the risk of getting a worse result. If Apple is able not to lose low to medium light performance while giving slightly better good light performance, they'll do it (a 12MP sensor). Otherwise the resolution will stay the same; there is a lot more to a good image quality than MP. My Canon G16 (backup camera to my 5D) is only 12MP, less than many Android phones, yet it kicks their ass up and down the street.

We can speculate all day on the tech. and software that will be used in conjunction with the new sensor. In the end your G16 has far superior image processing than most cell phones. It's not so much the sensor as the engine processing the image. Having worked for Canon for 6yrs in this area I'm a bit biased though :p

Also, noise in digital images comes from two sources. Yes, available light captured is one, but the other is the camera and sensor. Ironically DPR has a great two part series on the subject in their recent news feed.

The latest S6 is a testament to being able to do better with more. They could really eclipse the market if they would just put decent image processing algorithms behind the hardware. Sony IMO is leading the way there and considering they are the ones making the sensors for the iPhones, I'm feeling pretty optimistic in what is yet to come. Ironically they also make the sensors in the Galaxy S6 which took the top spot in IQ.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.