Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Rooting really isn't the reason I am getting this, so I don't consider space for that to be crucial. Also, I do all my music and movies through plex, so no need for local storage. And all my essential apps on iOS account to 1.5 GB. Thinking about it, I don't really need the 16GB. But maybe I am just talking like this to talk myself into saving an extra $50 ;)

You know yourself better than I do and if you've used a phone with 8GB and managed then go for it :p

It's just a smarter move to get the 16GB to make it more future proof and in case your usage changes. I guess it depends on how long you plan on using this phone for.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I'm not positive. I don't think it would hurt to let them know. My friend had an unlocked phone and just put his ATT sim in and it started working.

Regarding storage... the Nexus 7 8GB had about 6.5-ish gigs left after the OS. Might be similar with the Nexus 4.

It is as easy as just taking the phone in to the AT&T store and tell them you need a new micro sim and to register your phone. It's free so you don't have to worry about paying for anything. Since they register your IMEI, it will ensure you get everything properly. If you don't, text messages might get routed to the wrong place. That's what AT&T told me once.

They will also update your data plan if you aren't on the HSPA+ plan. Again, it's just a housekeeping thing and is free to ensure you get the right service. For example, I have a galaxy note and gave a LTE plan. They would have to update my profile to HSPA+. If you have a 4s or other 4g non LTE phone, you can just swap the sim no problem.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You know yourself better than I do and if you've used a phone with 8GB and managed then go for it :p

It's just a smarter move to get the 16GB to make it more future proof and in case your usage changes. I guess it depends on how long you plan on using this phone for.

You make a good point and I totally agree with you. Now I am stuck because originally I was thinking to save the $50 to use to buy apps since this could mean I am switching platforms. But what is the point of buying multiple apps if they won't fit because all the space if filled with the essentials.

----------

It is as easy as just taking the phone in to the AT&T store and tell them you need a new micro sim and to register your phone. It's free so you don't have to worry about paying for anything. Since they register your IMEI, it will ensure you get everything properly. If you don't, text messages might get routed to the wrong place. That's what AT&T told me once.

They will also update your data plan if you aren't on the HSPA+ plan. Again, it's just a housekeeping thing and is free to ensure you get the right service. For example, I have a galaxy note and gave a LTE plan. They would have to update my profile to HSPA+. If you have a 4s or other 4g non LTE phone, you can just swap the sim no problem.

I would be going from a 4S to a Nexus 4. So Micro SIM to Micro SIM (could use same SIM card) and I believe both are HSPA+. So are you saying I would need to go into an AT&T store?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
You make a good point and I totally agree with you. Now I am stuck because originally I was thinking to save the $50 to use to buy apps since this could mean I am switching platforms. But what is the point of buying multiple apps if they won't fit because all the space if filled with the essentials.

If you aren't in a rush then why don't you wait till you can afford the 16GB? If I had patience I'd wait and see if they ever release a 32GB version because 16GB isn't ideal for me. I already have a fully functioning GS3 but no patience :p

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
If you aren't in a rush then why don't you wait till you can afford the 16GB? If I had patience I'd wait and see if they ever release a 32GB version because 16GB isn't ideal for me. I already have a fully functioning GS3 but no patience :p

Spending an extra $50 ain't a huge deal, but it was the entry $300 price that really caught my eye.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I believe you should be OK. Just move the sim from the 4s to the Nexus 4. Give it a good test (e.g. make a call, get online via cellular data, and send and receive a text) and check in the android settings to make sure your sim is picking up OK. If everything works, you are good to go. Anything weird happens, give AT&T a call and they can fix it up for you.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Maybe not in the US but who's to say it won't elsewhere in the world?

Exactly why I prefaced my comment with the following:

First, let me preface this by saying I'm looking at this from the US consumer's perspective.

Again, though, what's changed from the release of the last Nexus that would cause this device to be a worldwide best seller? This one is as much of an improvement over the Galaxy Nexus as it was over the Nexus S and the GNex wasn't exactly 'flying off the shelves'. It's being sold through the same limited delivery channels and Google is spending nothing to market it. It's a really good device but what is going to make people get this over any of the dozens of other smartphones available, most of which can be had for much less (here in the US)?

I'm sorry but word of mouth isn't going to get it done.

And before everyone get's all defensive, I like the Nexus line--the only Android device I'll considering buying, just don't think it's going to take off here in the US as ixodes commented:

The LG Nexus 4 promises to be one very popular model. It's bound to gain momentum in the marketplace as word spreads about it's many advantages. Google has spent more time than ever working closely with the manufacturer to insure this is the finest Android available.

They need to spend some time with the Marketing department if they want to turn it into a bestseller.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nice story, bro. But believe it or not, plenty of people ask us geeks what they should buy. And every year Google is making it easier and easier for us to steer them away from expensive contracts. As dumb as you think Americans are, it isn't that difficult to get them to understand how much money they can save in those same two years by being off-contract with an unlocked $300 smart phone. I will give you this, though: They certainly don't know enough to care about LTE.

First, never said Americans are dumb (after all, I'm one of 'em), just that most don't obsess over these devices as much as tech fans reading online forums and honestly, don't care that much.

Did 'us geeks?' just arrive to the party and start offering advice? I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say the Galaxy Nexus was also held in pretty high regard--why wasn't that device recommended by 'us geeks?' leading to tons of sales for Google. And if the attraction of using a service like Straight Talk or a pre-paid plan was so attractive, how come Verizon and AT&T are adding subscribers every month? I wish carriers here offer plans as they do in Europe where you can have a lower monthly tariff using your own device but sadly, they don't.

If you tell most American consumers they can have phone A for $99 or free with a monthly cell bill or phone B for $349 or $299 with a monthly cell bill, far more often they're chosing phone B, sad but true. Spend 15 minutes in any carrier store and watch what happens. There's a reason why ALL the carriers sell their phone this way--it works. Sad, but true.

There aren't enough of 'us geeks' in the world to get to everybody ;).

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Do you mind giving some examples of things that would take up more storage? And I'm not a heavy gamer. If I play a game, it will be on my iPad.

If you're interested in rooting and trying out other ROMs, you'll want to use something like Titanium Backup to create backups of your device. There are cloud options in the premium version (using Google Drive or Dropbox to store your backups) but generally you'll keep any backup right on the device, and obviously, that'll take some space.

So I won't need to call AT&T to switch phones for the week or anything like that? Because someone told me I would.

Shouldn't need to do anything, although you may need a sim card adapter, depending on what size sim you have in your current device (i.e. nano sim from the iPhone 5). I routinely changed between an iPhone and a Galaxy Nexus on AT&T and just needed to move the sim card.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just looked at some hands on videos...what is up with the "sparkly" back....that ruins the design

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
The unlocked Galaxy Nexus wasn't sold directly until later in its life cycle, and the camera was a little lackluster. I bought it the first hour it went up on Play, and I've been very happy with it, but it wasn't ready to be recommended as an iPhone alternative. A lot has changed since then, and I think this latest Nexus could be that money saving alternative. It could be the start of an inflection point against high margin contract upgrades.

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I just got the iPhone 5 on launch day, but this Nexus4 is looking nice!! I want to get it but the lack of LTE is really holding me back..... Orlando has LTE and it is fast! I do not experience anymore network congestion since having LTE.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
The back is an homage to the original Nexus live wallpaper:

Top-Android-App-Cleaner-Nexus-Live-Wallpaper-Clean.png

It's either love or hate. I liked it, then hated it, now like it again.

As for marketing, I think tbayrgs is right to say Google needs to find more channels to push the Nexus 4 through. The Play Store and Tmobile are just not enough. Most people shop phones through carriers, and if they don't see the Nexus 4 offered by ATT, VZ, Sprint, they simply won't consider it. Google needs to forge those relationships.

But, the Nexus branding is gaining and will continue to gain recognition. I've seen plenty of non-tech people mention it. This isn't scientific of course but the Nexus 7 (and to some lesser extent, the shockingly low priced Galaxy Nexus mid year) really paved the way for the Nexus branding to grow. And now with a true lineup from Google, it seems like Google's got the right idea. They still have a ways to go...

I think it also helps that prepaid models are starting to grow ever so slowly.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

As for marketing, I think tbayrgs is right to say Google needs to find more channels to push the Nexus 4 through. The Play Store and Tmobile are just not enough. Most people shop phones through carriers, and if they don't see the Nexus 4 offered by ATT, VZ, Sprint, they simply won't consider it. Google needs to forge those relationships.

But, the Nexus branding is gaining and will continue to gain recognition. I've seen plenty of non-tech people mention it. This isn't scientific of course but the Nexus 7 (and to some lesser extent, the shockingly low priced Galaxy Nexus mid year) really paved the way for the Nexus branding to grow. And now with a true lineup from Google, it seems like Google's got the right idea. They still have a ways to go...

I guess that is a good thing though in terms of demand. The odds have having to go through iphone type trouble to obtain one is slim to none.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States

I would tend to agree. I think that the more places they can get this phone the better. Here's the question that I just thought of. For the 16GB option, is it better to get it from Google Play directly or just walk into T-Mobile and just pick it up full price? I'm locked in an AT&T contract, so switching isn't an option, but full price unlocked, which is the way to go?

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I would tend to agree. I think that the more places they can get this phone the better. Here's the question that I just thought of. For the 16GB option, is it better to get it from Google Play directly or just walk into T-Mobile and just pick it up full price? I'm locked in an AT&T contract, so switching isn't an option, but full price unlocked, which is the way to go?

Can you buy it from t mobile unlocked?? That would save me shipping times.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I'm sure the t-mobile version will have bloatware on it....I would go google play store.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

You would be paying hundreds more by buying it full price at T-Mobile. Just get it from Google Play for $349.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
I'm sure the t-mobile version will have bloatware on it....I would go google play store.

I wasn't sure if they were going to. I thought they might go the route of it's an easy sell since it's unlocked, so they wouldn't change anything.

You would be paying hundreds more by buying it full price at T-Mobile. Just get it from Google Play for $349.

I thought the price would be 349 everywhere. If that's the case, I'm going to the Play store! I was just trying to cut down shipping times!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The more I read the better it gets.
No phone is without its compromises.
This one has all the features I want & none that I don't.
The Nexus 4 is fast, fun & ergonomically ideal for my needs.
sc001.jpg

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
I wasn't sure if they were going to. I thought they might go the route of it's an easy sell since it's unlocked, so they wouldn't change anything.

I thought the price would be 349 everywhere. If that's the case, I'm going to the Play store! I was just trying to cut down shipping times!

From what I've seen, T-Mobile will charge an excessive amount for the Nexus 4 off-contract. Likely 500-600 like other phones. But their version should be the same, no bloatware or anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.